PDA

View Full Version : Should league games be postponed for teams while in Europe ?

Pages : [1] 2

Tony Soprano
19/07/2010, 12:17 AM
seems to me summer football is starting to be a mixed blessing with weekend league games compromising teams preparations for Europe

I think no team in Europe should have to play a weekend league fixture between European ties (unless there is a two week gap between the European games as occurs between rounds three and four - in this case play a league game in the midweek slot between the rounds, leaving a week to prepare for the next Euro game)

To do this, and to minimise disruption to other teams, follow this procedure

round 1 - Dundalk scheduled at home on both weekends before the round 1 Euro games. postpone these games until later in the season

round 2 - schedule Dundalk, Fingal, rovers and bohs to play each other on the two weekends before these Euro games - then postpone them until later in the year. keep rovers and bohs apart (to ensure these derby games are played on a weekend later) teams not in Europe unaffected

round 3 - first weekend (before first leg), same as before (some combination of Fingal, Rovers, Bohs, Dundalk but not Rovers v bohs, all postponed)
second weekend (before second leg)- for these games we would have enough notice to know who is still in Europe and to change the fixtures accordinglya eg. if fingal and dundalk out by now, have them play each other, other games would be postponed

have clubs to catch up a league game in the midweek slot between rounds 3 and 4

round 4 - same deal - some games could go ahead, others would be postponed as applicable. plenty of notice for this round

anyone think this should be done ?

disadvantage - more midweek games (possibly smaller crowds) and possible fixture congestion later in the season. (maybe extend the season by one week)

though i suspect clubs involved would take it and it only affects two games involving teams not in Europe (both of which would be away games to Dundalk)

TheBoss
19/07/2010, 12:41 AM
I agree that the teams involved in european competition should play each other but during the the 2-3 week break. They would have played more games than the others at the time and then the others will catch up when the european games are on.

Tony Soprano
19/07/2010, 12:47 AM
I agree that the teams involved in european competition should play each other but during the the 2-3 week break. They would have played more games than the others at the time and then the others will catch up when the european games are on.

but then they won't get a break, wouldn't that be a problem re holidays etc ?

why not just postpone the games - we're not talking many

Rovers and Fingal (if they go out next week) will only have 3 postponed

Dundalk 5 games, Bohs 6 (if they go through)

mypost
19/07/2010, 6:57 AM
Simple. Increase the size of the league, meaning less games and more free weeks.

Dodge
19/07/2010, 7:12 AM
No, the league shouldn't postpone games. Doesn't happen in any other league in the world.

refjohn
19/07/2010, 8:56 AM
Teams in Europe shoudl be scheduled to meet each other in July. However they should then be expected to find dates in April, May and June to play the games if they dont want to play on the in between weekends. If a team makes a later stage - e.g. final qualifying round and have to go further than somewhere like Prague then the ability to postpone when returning from away game should be an option.
What is irritating is when clubs find themselves flying home from Azerbijan or equivalent on a Thursday night and having to get to other end of country on Sunday - some common sense could alleviate that at scheduling time.

Straightstory
19/07/2010, 9:58 AM
I think fixtures should be postponed. I thought this did happen in recent years.

sullanefc
19/07/2010, 10:06 AM
Yes they should be postponed. When fixtures are being formulated in Feb, this should be taken into account. Get all the teams in Europe play a few midweek home ties in advance and a few after, and there is no problem.

It should not be done in such a way that it might penalise non european teams. If a team not participating in Europe has a couple of home games called off because of other teams in Europe, then it could affect them financially.

A bit of thought and planning at the start of the season, and this whole issue could be avoided.

Dodge
19/07/2010, 10:06 AM
What is irritating is when clubs find themselves flying home from Azerbijan or equivalent on a Thursday night and having to get to other end of country on Sunday - some common sense could alleviate that at scheduling time.

This hasn't happened though. Pats played on a Monday night the weekend after playing in Russia. Fingal are playing tonight after being in Portugal (Madeira) last Thursday. Common sense IMO

Guinney
19/07/2010, 11:37 AM
I think fixtures should be postponed or better still when the fixture list is being complied format to have less games in July, when teams our in Europe. The FAI should change things around to help the teams that are in Europe progress as far as they possibly can. The current format hinders progress. It can be argued teams like Dundalk should have larger squads but the reality is Dundalk can't afford to pay out more wages at the moment to get more players in.

I believe the league needs to be revamped. Firstly, the league needs to be made longer - 8 months is to short. Its not fair in the players who play to many games and this affects their performaces as they are to tired and can't adequately prepare for games. Another factor that needs to be consider is the supporters. The cost of all these games is far to much for many and attendances drop as a result. Also the quality of the games are much poorer as players can't play to their potential.

Another solution is to extend the number of teams in the league to 16 teams. This would mean there would be only 30 league games and also teams wouldn't be playing each 4 times (minimum) a year. However, an arguement could be made that there isn't 16 good teams out there to make a competitive league. But the high standard in the first division this year shows that there could well be. There is two giants in the first division - Cork and Derry, plus other teams with potential like Limerick, Waterford, Shelbourne, Finn Harps, Monaghan and so on.

marinobohs
19/07/2010, 12:53 PM
I think fixtures should be postponed or better still when the fixture list is being complied format to have less games in July, when teams our in Europe. The FAI should change things around to help the teams that are in Europe progress as far as they possibly can. The current format hinders progress. It can be argued teams like Dundalk should have larger squads but the reality is Dundalk can't afford to pay out more wages at the moment to get more players in.

I believe the league needs to be revamped. Firstly, the league needs to be made longer - 8 months is to short. Its not fair in the players who play to many games and this affects their performaces as they are to tired and can't adequately prepare for games. Another factor that needs to be consider is the supporters. The cost of all these games is far to much for many and attendances drop as a result. Also the quality of the games are much poorer as players can't play to their potential.

Another solution is to extend the number of teams in the league to 16 teams. This would mean there would be only 30 league games and also teams wouldn't be playing each 4 times (minimum) a year. However, an arguement could be made that there isn't 16 good teams out there to make a competitive league. But the high standard in the first division this year shows that there could well be. There is two giants in the first division - Cork and Derry, plus other teams with potential like Limerick, Waterford, Shelbourne, Finn Harps, Monaghan and so on.

Its Ireland and the LOI so dont hold your breath waiting on anything to be done :o. Personally think clubs competing in Europe SHOULD have the optio or postponements. Never understand why League has to be finished by a designated date. Allowing a couple of extra weeks would not be a problem.

Real ale Madrid
19/07/2010, 1:04 PM
A bit of thought and planning at the start of the season, and this whole issue could be avoided.

Completely agree - the 4 teams involved could easily make up the fixtures earlier or after.

We need to give our clubs every possible chance to do well in Europe, giving them a break between these games is vital.

But also, the time to be kicking up a fuss about this is at the start of the season BEFORE the fixtures are released. Not now when everything is already set in stone.

Amateur stuff all round really.

Dodge
19/07/2010, 1:24 PM
Without doubt the fixtures have to be looked at it. They didn't take into account any of the European or Setanta fixtures this year, and they never had.

As has been said, decent planning averts most of the major problems.

The problem with just blanket postponing games means that some clubs could be 2/3 weeks without a fixture (Pats, for example, play Dundalk, Fingal and Bohs in 3 weeks, all following euro games).

Bohs11
19/07/2010, 1:26 PM
Would the simple thing not to just get rid of that June break, make the season longer and just postpone these games to give Irish teams the optimal chance at progression in Europe.

Dodge
19/07/2010, 1:40 PM
Would the simple thing not to just get rid of that June break, make the season longer and just postpone these games to give Irish teams the optimal chance at progression in Europe.

Seriously, why do Bohs need 10 days rest to play at home to TNS (as it would be if their game was cancelled)?

Then what happends if they get through. Are those games already called off? So Bohs could go 6 weeks without a league game?

makes no sense at all

Tony Soprano
19/07/2010, 2:14 PM
Simple. Increase the size of the league, meaning less games and more free weeks.

12 team leagues and especially 10 team leagues don't work in my opinion - there isn't a single 10 or 12 team league anywhere in the world that is thriving

though I agree 12 teams would be better than 10

16 teams better again

18 or 20 best long term IMO

some games lower quality but would give teams currently in the FD a big boost and more stability, most would be in the new PD, 2 or 4 would be in a new FD (and probably challenging for promotion), in the long term the league would be stronger for it

No, the league shouldn't postpone games. Doesn't happen in any other league in the world.

do you know that for a fact ?

anyway is there another league for whom success in Europe is so important in improving its credibility / profile ? I'm not sure there is

postponing these games could be the difference between Rovers getting to play Juventus or not, and may have led to Dundalk avoiding a thrashing in Sofia. Fingal could well make the 4th round. these are big prizes an crucial for the development of the league

Dodge
19/07/2010, 2:18 PM
First of all I disagree that european progression is the be all and end all.

Secondly of all*, whats your solution for Bohs who would have 6 weeks without a league game.

*Its an arrested development thign

Tony Soprano
19/07/2010, 2:34 PM

Secondly of all*, whats your solution for Bohs who would have 6 weeks without a league game.

its a problem they would love to have. becuase it would mean 6 European games (all of which they were in optimum condition for)

one game could be picked up in the midweek slot bewteen rounds 3 and 4

their likely title rivals would be games down too

make up the games later in then season - thats the best solution. expand the season by one week or have a spare weekend at some point or play them midweek or on FAI Cup weekends if teams knocked out early

maybe give them a bye in one of the early rounds of the league cup or even FAI Cup allowing them to play a league game, meaning they are 1 league game ahead of the rest going into these games

lots of possibilties - anything would be better than the current situation

in my opinion European progression is the single biggest thing which willl help the club incraese its wealth, p-restige, profile and credibility - it is crucial

Tony Soprano
19/07/2010, 2:50 PM
Completely agree - the 4 teams involved could easily make up the fixtures earlier or after.

We need to give our clubs every possible chance to do well in Europe, giving them a break between these games is vital.

But also, the time to be kicking up a fuss about this is at the start of the season BEFORE the fixtures are released. Not now when everything is already set in stone.

Amateur stuff all round really.

clubs should be lobbying for a change for next season - whenever this decision is made I don't know, but they should be requesting it for next season

DazH
19/07/2010, 3:27 PM
Yes clubs should reserve the right to postpone games, particularly away games, because progress in Europe should be paramount. As we live in a country of event-junkies, where most of the population hop on the bandwagon of any sporting success, imagine what 6 champions league group games would do for the League, it would be huge and hopefully generate sustained interest among the public

SkStu
19/07/2010, 4:00 PM

Though i generally agree with your position on the matter, it is not the only solution Dodge. Its one suggestion (which i dont agree with by the way). Also, i think you've wrong in your assertion that Bohs could go 6 weeks without a game. There is two weeks between our away leg in Wales and our game (hopefully) against Anderlecht. There is another two weeks between that date and the next round of the CL or 3 weeks to the next round of the Europa League. Plenty of time for games to be scheduled and fulfilled if that was the approach..

But isnt there an option currently for teams to have their games rescheduled anyway - require mutual consent of both teams (not likely). Perhaps the FAI could receive applications from the clubs involved in Europe and make a determination based on those applications on a case-by-case basis instead of the requirement for mutual consent.

Personally, im not keen on the idea. It should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Bohs doesnt need two weeks free of games to play TNS. In fact, Tuesday (h), Friday (h), Tuesday (a), Friday (h) should be acceptable for most teams. It would be different if the away game was in east Europe of course and that is where the FAI should have the discretion.

Also, i dont agree that Europe is not the be all and end all - from a League wide perspective and from the clubs perspective, European success is top of any list. Maybe a fans perspective is different.

Riddickcule
19/07/2010, 4:30 PM
The product will deteriorate if the number of teams are increased.

Dodge
19/07/2010, 5:19 PM
Fair poitns stu but

Personally, im not keen on the idea. It should be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Bohs doesnt need two weeks free of games to play TNS. In fact, Tuesday (h), Friday (h), Tuesday (a), Friday (h) should be acceptable for most teams. It would be different if the away game was in east Europe of course and that is where the FAI should have the discretion.

In this example other teams are messed around. If a gme is called off with 2 weeks notice, that can throw already perilous finances into deeper trouble for some clubs.

In no way am I saying the status quo is perfect but its better than any of the solutions proposed so far (Remembering that the league have help Fingla by playing their game on Monday etc)

boneym
19/07/2010, 5:29 PM
Personnally I am aginst the two week break, but my suggestion would be to have the break within the two weeks that the european games are scheduled. It will mean no break for the players that are playing in Europe but such is life. It wont solve the problem for teams that progress into the next round but it will help the matter

SkStu
19/07/2010, 6:23 PM
Fair poitns stu but

In this example other teams are messed around. If a gme is called off with 2 weeks notice, that can throw already perilous finances into deeper trouble for some clubs.

In no way am I saying the status quo is perfect but its better than any of the solutions proposed so far (Remembering that the league have help Fingla by playing their game on Monday etc)

agree totally with the bolded bit. I think that is about as far as i would want the FAI to go myself.

On the example you quoted, i think you might have misunderstood what i was saying - the Tuesday games are the Euro games and the Friday games are the league games. I was making the point that, for Bohs against TNS, i dont have a huge issue with that schedule. It is pretty much what most teams were playing at the beginning of the season anyway. If it is different for other clubs or if it requires a long trip abroad, then the FAI should assess the situation and do what is best for the club in order to ensure that the players arent over-extending themselves and to ensure that the club has a fair chance of success.

And, as you said yourself, its nothing that a bit of forward thinking and planning from the FAI prior to the season couldnt address. I also think that the 8 month season is too short and extending it by 2-4 weeks should be looked at.

DRDoc
20/07/2010, 12:29 AM
Was a Drogs game vs Harps postponed a few seasons back on account of euro games?

trevy
20/07/2010, 7:10 AM
I agree with Dodge. Other countries don't postpone games when their teams are in Europe. It only leads to problems down the line with a backlog of fixtures. Also other clubs are denied income from gates. Clubs should be capable of playing 2 games in a week. An Irish club winning a game in Europe won't suddenly get 'barstoolers' coming to games regularly.

Tony Soprano
20/07/2010, 10:30 AM
I agree with Dodge. Other countries don't postpone games when their teams are in Europe. It only leads to problems down the line with a backlog of fixtures. Also other clubs are denied income from gates. Clubs should be capable of playing 2 games in a week. An Irish club winning a game in Europe won't suddenly get 'barstoolers' coming to games regularly.

couldn't disagree more

first of all ask the clubs involved if they would prefer a bit of fixture congestion to being able to prepare properly for these games - I think they would. ask ian foster. look at fingal resting players last night. under my plan few other clubs would be affected.

secondly backlog wouldn't be that much

other clubs aren't affected under my plan (see first post)

success in Europe is the single quickest way to improve profile of the league - not just to attract neutrals, but also players and sponsors, and improving our UEFA coefficient means better seedings and more regular big games down the line, and easier to qualify for group stages. Rovers have a fighting chance of a Juventus tie - if Aviva was available (which it will next year). how much would 30-40,000 at Aviva plus TV deals (Irish and Italian) have earned them - possibly over 1m. having a rest at the weekend may be the difference in a tight game (like Rovers have)

clubs are capable of playing 2 games in a week but it has a negative effect on their preparations. ask the managers. we should be bending over backwards to help the clubs

Straightstory
20/07/2010, 10:34 AM
Completely agree.

Dodge
20/07/2010, 10:36 AM
You're over estimating the impact of Europe based on drawing Juventus.

Pats have progressed past 2 rounds of European football the last 2 years (past the round Rovers would play Juventus BTW) and there has been no discernable benefit to Pats, never mind the league in terms of profile or attendance.

Straightstory
20/07/2010, 10:51 AM

Pats have progressed past 2 rounds of European football the last 2 years (past the round Rovers would play Juventus BTW) and there has been no discernable benefit to Pats, never mind the league in terms of profile or attendance.

With respect to Pats' achievements, Juve are a much bigger club than anyone Pats played. Rovers v Juve would gather more publicity and attract a bigger crowd than any of Pats' Euro games.

Dodge
20/07/2010, 10:58 AM
With respect to Pats' achievements, Juve are a much bigger club than anyone Pats played. Rovers v Juve would gather more publicity and attract a bigger crowd than any of Pats' Euro games.

No question at all about that.

But should you schedule a league season around the possibility of a club drawing a giant like Juventus when it happens every 30 years or so?

sullanefc
20/07/2010, 11:00 AM
If teams involved in Europe are made play twice a week, then they need bigger squads. Bigger squads means clubs will be stretching themselves financially. And I don't have to tell ye how a club in financial crisis affects the image of the league.

And I agree with Straighstory, Juventus are a much bigger club than anyone Pats played. It will be a huge event for the league if Rovers get there.

Tony Soprano
20/07/2010, 11:05 AM

Hertha Berlin and Steaua Bucharest aren't big enough draws

improve our coefficient and we'll have teams regularly getting to the 4th round of the Europa league with big draws

look at the seeded teams in the 4th round this year - Liverpool, Juventus, Celtic, Man City, Aston Villa - they would all fill the Aviva, plus TV deals how much would that be worth ? 1.5 - 2m ?

Porto, Stuttgart, Olympiacos, Galatasaray, Dortmund, napoli, leverkusen, PSV Eindhoven, Paris SG would get 20,000 + at the Aviva, maybe a lot more. thats about 500k, with TV deals aswell. this is serious money . two to three week break to market the games too

clubs gettting regular 500k - 1.5m injections from european ties, with an improvement in seeding and with the aviva now finished thats not unrealistic - think of how that will change the league, ground improvements, allow clubs to go fully pro, attract and afford bettter players

all of those draws listed above would make a lot more than Hertha Berlin or Steaua Bucharest. its the money that would ultimately improve league crowds indirectly the long term (through improvements in grounds and players) not the games themselves (though good performances will help).

pats didn't make enough money from those ties. a bigger draw (say PSV Eindhoven) could have been the difference between you staying full time or going semi-pro. thats a perfect example of how important these games are and the difference they can make

Mr A
20/07/2010, 11:15 AM
If you start postponing games due to Europe you leave yourself vulnerable to a horrible fixture pileup if you have a period of bad weather that sees multiple games called off.

And as has been stated above, European exploits make very little difference to the rest of the league. Are we to believe that Rovers-Juve would make a difference when Shels-Deportivo or Pats-Hertha made feck all? I cannot see it. While there should be flexibility for the clubs involved in Europe, it should not automatically take priority.

Tony Soprano
20/07/2010, 11:25 AM
If you start postponing games due to Europe you leave yourself vulnerable to a horrible fixture pileup if you have a period of bad weather that sees multiple games called off.

And as has been stated above, European exploits make very little difference to the rest of the league. Are we to believe that Rovers-Juve would make a difference when Shels-Deportivo or Pats-Hertha made feck all? I cannot see it. While there should be flexibility for the clubs involved in Europe, it should not automatically take priority.

Shelbourne could only use half of Lansdowne Rd for Deportivo (20,000). would make twice as much if that game was played this season. the aviva seriously increases clubs potential to make money from europe

as i have already said pats games aren't the type of draws I'm talking about

Tony Soprano
20/07/2010, 11:39 AM
Dundalks' players are shattered - look at their results recently.

rovers could be in trouble too - long trip to Israel, imagine this goes to extra time and rovers go through. what type of condition are the players going to be in for Monday's game with UCD. Either they rest players, or play their full XI and players are then shattered for Juve game 3 days later. Either way that game against UCD should not have been played

marinobohs
20/07/2010, 11:58 AM
No question at all about that.

But should you schedule a league season around the possibility of a club drawing a giant like Juventus when it happens every 30 years or so?

Is it really beyond the LOI community to apply a little flexibility in fixtures to maximise our impact in European competition ? In the case of TNS I doubt Bohs would want a postponement given short travel etc but in the case of Shams away game in Israel I would see a strong case for allowing one. Is the LOI so ridgid that it cannot address both scenarios ?

Can see no reason why LOI could not be extended by one/two weeks IF necessary due to build up of fixtures towards the back end of the season. if nothing else it would cease the annual thread on FOOT.IE on the issue :rolleyes:

Riddickcule
20/07/2010, 12:18 PM
Did anyone else see in one of the papers that for the Juve game it must be played it tallaght, and they're not allowed increase capacity. Thats just ridiculous. Capacity will be capped at 6,000 for a game that could easily attract 10,000 punters.

poster
20/07/2010, 12:31 PM
Juve game it must be played it tallaght, and they're not allowed increase capacity

Go mental over it. It worked for us :highfive:

Dodge
20/07/2010, 12:46 PM
Hertha Berlin and Steaua Bucharest aren't big enough draws
Exactly, and they’re bigger than most Irish clubs get each year. Seriously, it is riodiculous to plan a season about the possibility that a club get Juventus

pats didn't make enough money from those ties. a bigger draw (say PSV Eindhoven) could have been the difference between you staying full time or going semi-pro. thats a perfect example of how important these games are and the difference they can make
BUT we were ALWAYS more likely to get a club that wouldn’t attract huge numbers. Is PSV really THAT much more of a draw than hertha? Maybe extra but even a huge figure in Irish terms like 100k wouldn’t be world changing for us, and I doubt the rest of the league would see any benefit

You’re plucking figures out of the air now, on the basis that perhaps, if Irish clubs progress to a round that has only happened 3 times ever, we might get a decent draw and then we’d be able to convince 40,000 people to watch it at top dollar prices (which we’d need to charge to pay for the fecking stadium).

Are you Ollie Byrne reincarnated?

Port Saint
20/07/2010, 1:00 PM
I think there are too many scheduled midweek games anyway and the season should be extended by at least 4 weeks. A 17 close season is way too long.
This would free up a fair few dates to resechdule fixtures.
The problem only really exists in a 2 or 3 week window for 4 teams at the moment (if as a league we improve further then that will change but until then...). Why not organise the league cup into a round robin league type format and play it off during these 3 weeks and give the European teams a bye into the knock out stages.

passerrby
20/07/2010, 1:36 PM
seriously what is this fasination with qualifing for europe while it must be nice to play in europe if you are putting your clubs future on the possibility of getting a big club draw which will somehow pay all the incured debt then your club is doomed ,play and pay at the level your club can sustain and if a bonus comes along then enjoy it . and your right dodge this was the path choose by ollie and it desimated shels. and the dream is still hurting clubs.
this i believe is a vain attempt to give the impression that certain clubs are as big as man u or celtic which is silly but most of all is finanacial roulette

Tony Soprano
20/07/2010, 2:49 PM
Exactly, and they’re bigger than most Irish clubs get each year. Seriously, it is riodiculous to plan a season about the possibility that a club get Juventus

BUT we were ALWAYS more likely to get a club that wouldn’t attract huge numbers. Is PSV really THAT much more of a draw than hertha? Maybe extra but even a huge figure in Irish terms like 100k wouldn’t be world changing for us, and I doubt the rest of the league would see any benefit

You’re plucking figures out of the air now, on the basis that perhaps, if Irish clubs progress to a round that has only happened 3 times ever, we might get a decent draw and then we’d be able to convince 40,000 people to watch it at top dollar prices (which we’d need to charge to pay for the fecking stadium).

Are you Ollie Byrne reincarnated?

who is talking about about planning the season around Europe ? we are talking about at most about 6 games for a club if that club gets to the 4th round. they don't need to draw Juventus - I have listed the clubs that would bring a windfall (10 - 15 of them). the disruption shouldn't be overestimated

yes PSV would be a bigger game than Hertha. what crowd could PSV get at the Aviva ? 20,000 I would say, at least. is that not realistic ? thats how much, half a million depending on ticket prices. maybe more. maybe a lot more. plus TV money. minus rent . its very likely Pats would still be fully pro if they had that

the format of the cups has been changed. the irish champions now only need to win one tie to get to the 4th round of the europa league. where there is i would say a 50/50 chance of getting a big club. if Irish sides are seeded in the second round of the CL (good chance Bohs and pats would be next year, Rovers might be more difficult) there is every chance that will happen frequently, so there is a much better chance of big ties than in the past. and thats not even considering teams getting through from the europa league itself (as pats did, as fingal might) or getting a decent draw in the third round (as rovers might)

i'm talking about 20 - 30 euros a ticket, i don't think thats excessive

seriously what is this fasination with qualifing for europe while it must be nice to play in europe if you are putting your clubs future on the possibility of getting a big club draw which will somehow pay all the incured debt then your club is doomed ,play and pay at the level your club can sustain and if a bonus comes along then enjoy it . and your right dodge this was the path choose by ollie and it desimated shels. and the dream is still hurting clubs.
this i believe is a vain attempt to give the impression that certain clubs are as big as man u or celtic which is silly but most of all is finanacial roulette

who is talking about risking the clubs future ? all I want is for some fixtures to be postponed !

I think there are too many scheduled midweek games anyway and the season should be extended by at least 4 weeks. A 17 close season is way too long.
This would free up a fair few dates to resechdule fixtures.
The problem only really exists in a 2 or 3 week window for 4 teams at the moment (if as a league we improve further then that will change but until then...). Why not organise the league cup into a round robin league type format and play it off during these 3 weeks and give the European teams a bye into the knock out stages.

I like my idea better. have teams not in europe play each other on those weekends. have teams in europe play each other and postpone where applicable. this season for example Dundalk would have 5 games to make up, Bohs 6 (if they go through). Rovers and Fingal would have 3 (unless they go through) only two of those games would involve sides not in Europe (2 of Dundalk's games). there are lots of solutions as to how they could be made up (one could be made up straight away in midweek slot between rounds 3 and 4

although league cup could work too - would mean either extending the season or having more midweek games for all teams (including those not in Europe)

how about having the summer break during the european games ? teams involved will tend to be those with most professionals so maybe they would be more willing to forego the summer holiday

Dodge
20/07/2010, 2:56 PM
Tony Soprano. You're completely insane. Completely.

You haven't listened to a sigle point anyone else has made, so you're on the ignored list now.

Enjoy it there...

mypost
20/07/2010, 7:42 PM
postponing these games could be the difference between Rovers getting to play Juventus or not, and may have led to Dundalk avoiding a thrashing in Sofia. Fingal could well make the 4th round. these are big prizes an crucial for the development of the league

We have enough issues playing Bnei Yehuda. Postponing the bread-and-butter games back home doesn't affect that task, nor will it be the difference between progression and the flight home.

Football-wise, Juventus is a terrible draw for us tbh. We have zero chance of beating them, and all the build up to the home leg will be whingers wondering why we won't take it out of Tallaght to satisfy event junkies. We saw what Shels did against Coruna, and we know where they are now. We're determined to ensure we don't go the same way.

Financially, we'll do well out of it, but most fans want to get through a couple of rounds, not 1.

Ezeikial
21/07/2010, 2:40 PM
Football-wise, Juventus is a terrible draw for us tbh. We have zero chance of beating them, and all the build up to the home leg will be whingers wondering why we won't take it out of Tallaght to satisfy event junkies.

Financially, we'll do well out of it, but most fans want to get through a couple of rounds, not 1.

Have I been in a time warp? Did Rovers actually beat Bnei Yehuda already?

Dodge
21/07/2010, 2:43 PM

So you're saying Rovers fans have never been satisfied?

Straightstory
21/07/2010, 2:50 PM
Tony Soprano. You're completely insane. Completely.

You haven't listened to a sigle point anyone else has made, so you're on the ignored list now.

Enjoy it there...
Yes he did. He answered most points articulately, soberly and rationally as far as I can see. (Someone's in a huff!)

Bohs11
23/07/2010, 3:08 PM
Nice to see that the FAI are consistant between Bohs, Dundalk, Fingal and ......The Model Club http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php/about/press-office/2238-shamrock-rovers-v-ucd-postponed?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: