PDA

View Full Version : Cameroon fined and docked points for wrong kit

Troy.McClure
16/04/2004, 4:35 PM
From FIFA.com

Disciplinary Committee imposes sporting and financial sanctions on Cameroon

Meeting today at FIFA headquarters under the chairmanship of Marcel Mathier (Switzerland), the FIFA Disciplinary Committee fined the Cameroon football association CHF 200,000 and deducted six points from its national team in the preliminary competition for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™.
The punishment was imposed as a result of Cameroon’s failure to comply with the equipment requirements of Law 4 of the Laws of the Game during the African Cup of Nations 2004 in Tunisia. FIFA had shown leniency at the time for Cameroon’s attire in the group round of the competition after the association had given assurances that the team would wear authorised playing kit in the knock-out phases.

Despite this agreement, Cameroon subsequently wore the same equipment in the quarter-finals.

The Disciplinary Committee opened an inquiry on 13 February 2004 in order to rule on this serious infringement of the Laws of the Game and the association’s failure to fulfil the pledge made to FIFA.

brendy_éire
16/04/2004, 4:38 PM
€130,000 odd. Steep.

What was wrong with the kit exactly? Was it one of those sleeveless ones?

eoinh
16/04/2004, 5:04 PM
€130,000 odd. Steep.

What was wrong with the kit exactly? Was it one of those sleeveless ones?

all in one job. Looked pretty cool actually.

pete
16/04/2004, 5:07 PM
Think kit was a 1 piece job...

Thought i heard that Puma agreed to pay fine if it arose.

Breen
16/04/2004, 5:32 PM
Doubt Puma could do much about the 6pts though, which might worry them a bit more.

Ref
16/04/2004, 5:45 PM
see http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1131644,00.html

eoinh
16/04/2004, 6:30 PM
If FIFA keep to the points penalty you can say goodbye to seeing Cameroon in the next world cup. There is simply no way they would be able to qualify, especially as their group contains
Egypt
Côte d'Ivoire
Libya
Sudan
Benin

Jon'o
17/04/2004, 8:32 PM
a bit harsh 6 points???

i and others find the site of man-ures kit offensive, you dont see them fined and docked points :rolleyes:

whats the big deal as long as they arnt playing in the nip :confused:

pete
19/04/2004, 10:20 AM
Well suppose FIFA had to set a precedent. Cameroon were warned before the African Nations that their kit was illegal & they still wore it in the hope that just be fined cash which their sponsors were going to pay anyway.

liam88
20/04/2004, 4:41 PM
illegal? Harsh
The last time I heard about something like this was India refusing to play in a world cup because FIFA wouldn't let them play barefoot. In a way you can see the point but logically it was India's choice and surely would cause less injury to opposition though must really hurt them :eek:

pineapple stu
20/04/2004, 9:51 PM
The last time I heard about something like this was India refusing to play in a world cup because FIFA wouldn't let them play barefoot.

That was in 1950! You're not that old, are you?!

liam88
21/04/2004, 7:14 PM
That was in 1950! You're not that old, are you?!
hehe, nah I'm still at the tender age of 15 :rolleyes:
Just remember reading about it in one of my footie books :)