PDA

View Full Version : Rioting in Beal-feirste.

ArdeeBhoy
14/07/2010, 10:53 AM
Any thoughts?

Hoodlums or a relevant protest against archaic triumphalism, going back over 300 years, FFS.
Apparently some eejit from the OO on there saying they're 'just protecting civil liberites'. Yeah, right.

peadar1987
14/07/2010, 11:41 AM
Both sides are in the wrong

MariborKev
14/07/2010, 12:36 PM
Hoodlums.

How exactly was attempting to hijack the train @Lurgan a protest?

Mr A
14/07/2010, 12:56 PM
Hoodlums.

Also, anyone who lets their young kids (8, 9, 10 year olds reported to be involved) get involved in this sort of thing should have their children taken off them as they are clearly unfit as parents.

Lim till i die
14/07/2010, 2:45 PM
The Orange Order are little more than superb real life WUMs

The Catholics are worse rising to them, their banners even say LOL for jaysus sake!!

OneRedArmy
14/07/2010, 3:26 PM
The rioters have no mandate and no real support, ergo they are hoodlums. Those "dissidents" that incite them are, not unlike some elements in the Orange Order, stuck in a timewarp and can't grasp that the overwhelming will of the people is to move on.

Gather round
14/07/2010, 5:03 PM
The rioters have no mandate and no real support, ergo they are hoodlums. Those "dissidents" that incite them are, not unlike some elements in the Orange Order, stuck in a timewarp and can't grasp that the overwhelming will of the people is to move on.

Are you suggestiing that if they had support and/or electoral success, they wouldn't be hoodlums?

awec
14/07/2010, 6:26 PM
The Parade doesn't go THROUGH the nationalist area, it goes past it. There is no other way past.

Bands do not play along the contentious stretch.

The protestors sat where they did to deliberately invoke violence because they knew the police would have to move them.

Of course, the protest may actually mean more if those involved were actually from Ardoyne, but it loses credibility when they're bussing in scumbags from all over the place who fancy a go at the police.

And on the subject of the police, pussy footed policing doesn't work. If you throw a brick at a police officer you should expect to get a few whacks with a baton. If you're going to get the petrol bombs out and attempt to murder officers, you should expect to get the hiding of a lifetime and then spend some time in a cell.

No matter who is rioting, nationalists or loyalists, the police should be allowed to give a good bit of what they take back. Perhaps people would think twice about acting like vermin if they went home with a few broken ribs and a sore head.

SkStu
14/07/2010, 6:28 PM
idiots - both sides. End of story.

awec
14/07/2010, 6:29 PM
The Orange Order are little more than superb real life WUMs

The Catholics are worse rising to them, their banners even say LOL for jaysus sake!!

There really is nothing WUM about it. The OO have been on the receiving end of some pretty well thought out Republican propaganda that paints them in bad light.

Sure there are bad eggs, but the vast majority just due to to express their culture and tradition.

awec
14/07/2010, 6:30 PM
Hoodlums.

How exactly was attempting to hijack the train @Lurgan a protest?
Train should have just kept moving, they'd soon have got out of the way of it.

By the way, to the OP, how can:

Throwing bricks at the police
Dropping a breeze block on an officers head
Shooting officers with live ammo
Throwing petrol bombs
Damaging property

ever be described as a "relevant protest" ?

It was mindless thugs who couldn't spell Orange Order never mind understand what it's about.

OneRedArmy
14/07/2010, 6:44 PM
Are you suggestiing that if they had support and/or electoral success, they wouldn't be hoodlums?Thats a chicken or egg question, grounded in hypothetical event piled on another hypothetical event and therefore completely irrelevant. They don't, and they won't.

But generally, if you're asking if public disorder is valid if the cause is valid (and thats a huge if, wrapped up in huge amounts of subjectivity etc.), then unequivocally yes IMO.

Except it ain't in this case.

As I said.

So feel free to get hypothetically outraged (whilst I continue my Jesuitical studies........)

dantheman
14/07/2010, 8:46 PM
Sure there are bad eggs...

Sounds like the RUC. Ask Raymond McCord

And on the subject of the police, pussy footed policing doesn't work. If you throw a brick at a police officer you should expect to get a few whacks with a baton. If you're going to get the petrol bombs out and attempt to murder officers, you should expect to get the hiding of a lifetime and then spend some time in a cell.

No matter who is rioting, nationalists or loyalists, the police should be allowed to give a good bit of what they take back. Perhaps people would think twice about acting like vermin if they went home with a few broken ribs and a sore head.

You are very correct.
No excuse by "republican" thugs attacking a train full of Irish people, on an all-Ireland train service.
At this stage, the police should be able to go in and sweep the area.

If you want a proper accountable police service to serve the entire community, they have to be given the powers to do so. It's about time these dissident republicans realised this. There is no perfect solution

old git
14/07/2010, 10:42 PM
The Parade doesn't go THROUGH the nationalist area, it goes past it. There is no other way past.

Bands do not play along the contentious stretch.

The protestors sat where they did to deliberately invoke violence because they knew the police would have to move them.

Of course, the protest may actually mean more if those involved were actually from Ardoyne, but it loses credibility when they're bussing in scumbags from all over the place who fancy a go at the police.

on comment of parade does not go through nationalist area it goes past it !!! their is no other way past ?? and bands do not play !! .. find it hard to believe a major city like belfast has only 1 road around the ardoyne area .. nationalist still consider it unacceptable to what they see in their eyes is the orange order still trying to rub their noses in it with their blatent show of triumphilism and their god given right to parade were they want.. of course it does no excuse the scumbags to take it upon themselves to riot . the protesters had to make the strongest protest available to them and sitting on the road was the way they thought it would be best achieved and attract most publicity (So you also have it as fact that the people of ardoyne bused in the scumbags to riot)on the other hand why did police not consider re-routing parade instead of option of moving protesters of the road.. either way it would have resulted in confrontation .. will agree with you on police being to soft on rioters .watching on tv the other night it looked like it would have been fairly easy to round up the hoods on the shop roofs attacking police.. and drag they off into jeeps and dish out some police style justice out of camera view .

Spudulika
15/07/2010, 5:18 AM
Let's look at it like this - Northern Irish non-Unionists have had to suffer decades, centuries, of being knocked about, sh@t upon and generally treated like 2nd class citizens. We al know what happened when the Civil Rights marches too place - ask those who were hit by iron bars and lumps of wood at Burnt Tallot (maybe spelled wrong) by a mob led by a preacher (Paisley Sr) who got a makey uppy non-degree from a non-university. When blacks were allowed the vote in the USA huge swathes of people in Northern Ireland were denied the same. That's 40 years ago. During the war (Uncle Albert voice on) my grandparents lived in the North (Lisburn) with my Aunt, who was only a baby. The local kids and people were great to my Grandparents and they were all over my Aunt. However as the marching season began they put the windows in and stoned my Gran as she wheeled the pram to the shop - this was in 1941/2. They were forced south and never returned.

For generations there has been this faux triumphalism being rubbed into peoples faces and it allows idiots to go ott on both sides - Portadown was one of the best examples. We'd all love to see it when the non-OO people would just ignore the marches and get past it, but we've not grown up in that situation and suffered the intimidation and frustration. Same as when we all preach on about Palestine (whatever side of the fence we sit) - we haven't grown up in Israel or Palestine so out opinions are not going to be respected by those whose Grandparents (now some Great-Grandparents) were forced to live in refugee camps where they themselves now reside, or who have rockets popping in for tea every so often.

dcfc_1928
15/07/2010, 5:50 AM
During our local "Tourist Flagship" Orangefest event, there was a nice bonfire with a tricolour - written on the tricolour was "Keep Ulster Tidy. Kill All Taigs". I'm glad they worked so hard to make tourists feel welcome. It's a pity that some of the residents of the town were made to feel so unwelcome.

One side is as bad as the other - scumbags on both sides, who do nothing but keep this whole crap going.

awec
15/07/2010, 9:47 AM
Do you not find it slightly ironic, that after 30 years of preaching tolerance and equality, that dissident Republicans now cannot tolerate or allow a legal march down a public road?

And yes old git, unless the people of Ardoyne are telling lies, those involved are not from the area.

The road is a public throughfare. It's not a road through a housing estate, it's a main road.

Sounds like the RUC. Ask Raymond McCord

You are very correct.
No excuse by "republican" thugs attacking a train full of Irish people, on an all-Ireland train service.
At this stage, the police should be able to go in and sweep the area.

If you want a proper accountable police service to serve the entire community, they have to be given the powers to do so. It's about time these dissident republicans realised this. There is no perfect solution
1. I won't deny the RUC had bad eggs.

2. What I find hilarious is, these republicans and thugs who attack the police go and yap if the police hit them back, claiming police brutality. Yet, if they get the united ireland they want and come up against the Guards, they'd have the sh**e knocked out of them! The guards are allowed to do the right thing - get stuck in.

shantykelly
16/07/2010, 11:58 AM
as to the question of giving the police additional power? police in the north, in whatever historical guise, have shown they cant be trusted. i have yet to see any real sea change in attitude that would make me believe that it is ok to give more power to the cops, especially given their extensive abuse of illegal stop and search procedures.

Gather round
16/07/2010, 1:11 PM
But generally, if you're asking if public disorder is valid if the cause is valid (and thats a huge if, wrapped up in huge amounts of subjectivity etc.), then unequivocally yes IMO

So feel free to get hypothetically outraged (whilst I continue my Jesuitical studies........)

I only asked because you seemed to take the trouble to link any justification for the riot to electoral support. If you'd simply suggested that, say, fighting and potentially killing in the streets are justified only when being attacked by the Police/ paramilitaries/ disaffected spides p*ssed up on buckie, I'd probably have agreed.

No offence (hypothetical or otherwise) taken. Good luck with the Jesuitcal studies. Did you know the founder was actually a Prod from BT14? Ignacio Loyolalist.

OneRedArmy
16/07/2010, 1:27 PM
I only asked because you seemed to take the trouble to link any justification for the riot to electoral support. If you'd simply suggested that, say, fighting and potentially killing in the streets are justified only when being attacked by the Police/ paramilitaries/ disaffected spides p*ssed up on buckie, I'd probably have agreed.

No offence (hypothetical or otherwise) taken. Good luck with the Jesuitcal studies. Did you know the founder was actually a Prod from BT14? Ignacio Loyolalist.:) I was going to say that if you take it to its logical extreme (which I wasn't FWIW!), and don't believe in conflict against any sovereign or authority power regardless of moral or other support, then King Billy's mates way back when were nothing short of terrorists waging a campaign against a state power, and all those Orangemen peacefully walking the Queen's highway are simply showing their support for terrorism.

Not my view, but if you have zero tolerance for "disorder", sometimes it leads you down an interesting route...!

awec
16/07/2010, 1:57 PM
as to the question of giving the police additional power? police in the north, in whatever historical guise, have shown they cant be trusted. i have yet to see any real sea change in attitude that would make me believe that it is ok to give more power to the cops, especially given their extensive abuse of illegal stop and search procedures.
It wasn't illegal, considering they were given the power under law to do so, and I support the police in their quest to stamp out terrorism by them searching anyone they suspect of being a terrorist or terrorist sympathiser. If the Garda thought you were a terrorist they'd put your front door up your hall and have a wee dander about your house, probably giving you a hiding in the process.

The police need more power, as evidenced by the trouble where they couldn't do anything but stand and take a beating. It wouldn't happen anywhere else, so why should it happen in NI?

Also, on the subject of the rioting, interesting to see the Ardoyne residents protesting against it. Perhaps it's finally being shown that it's not the residents opposed to this march "defending their area" but the scumbags being bussed in from all over the place who look at this like their annual fun day to try and kill some police officers that are causing the bother.

Docboy
16/07/2010, 5:19 PM
Do you not find it slightly ironic, that after 30 years of preaching tolerance and equality, that dissident Republicans now cannot tolerate or allow a legal march down a public road?

Dissident Republicans preaching tolerance and equality? Must have missed that.

It's a real shame to see this sort of stuff still going on, never mind the fact that people are travelling from down south to tell locals what they can and cannot do. However, some change must surely be enacted on the side of the Orange Order if they're serious about moving on and making this event a genuine tourist attraction. The whole anti-catholic, we beat you in a war hundreds of years ago crap is hardly going to create an all-inclusive love-in.

awec
16/07/2010, 6:08 PM
There HAS been change by the Orange Order. They said they would walk silently (no bands would play) and they made the contentious strip as short as possible.

ArdeeBhoy
16/07/2010, 10:27 PM
That's as maybe. But why do the paranoid cretins even need to march at all?

They got what they wanted;an illegally founded colonial theme park in which they waste more time on 'being British', than the rest of that mainland combined, but is ruled by the Brit.Establishment they so deludedly worship in London.
Which has generally p*ssed off most Irish (& English, Welsh & Scottish) people ever since!!!

Why rub the indigenous population's noses in it also, with marches relating to an event 320 years ago? Marches now on the 350th & 400th anniversary and every 50 years up to the 500th should be enough, FFS. Even for that shower.

And would generally agree with what most others said about the protestors largely being bored hoodlums. Though if I was a young nationalist in Ardoyne then I might well feel frustrated also.

ArdeeBhoy
16/07/2010, 10:31 PM
By the way, to the OP, how can:

Throwing bricks at the police
Dropping a breeze block on an officers head
Shooting officers with live ammo
Throwing petrol bombs
Damaging property

ever be described as a "relevant protest" ?

The protest is definitely relevant, though not in the mindless manner in which it was conducted.

awec
17/07/2010, 12:27 AM
That's as maybe. But why do the paranoid cretins even need to march at all?

They got what they wanted;an illegally founded colonial theme park in which they waste more time on 'being British', than the rest of that mainland combined, but is ruled by the Brit.Establishment they so deludedly worship in London.
Which has generally p*ssed off most Irish (& English, Welsh & Scottish) people ever since!!!

Why rub the indigenous population's noses in it also, with marches relating to an event 320 years ago? Marches now on the 350th & 400th anniversary and every 50 years up to the 500th should be enough, FFS. Even for that shower.

And would generally agree with what most others said about the protestors largely being bored hoodlums. Though if I was a young nationalist in Ardoyne then I might well feel frustrated also.

Perhaps we should ban all marches that commemorate the 1916 Easter Rising too? And the Hibernian marches? What about the St Patricks day marches?

Do you not think these are an important part of this islands culture and history either?

The protest is definitely relevant, though not in the mindless manner in which it was conducted.

The protest is not relevant. It is a public thoroughfare. It does not belong to any person or group of people. It's like saying "You may pay your car tax which entitles you to park on public roads, but you're not parking on this public road cause I said so".

In saying that, I would not mind so much if they stood at the side of the road holding plackards(sp?) suggesting their opposition to the march. Certainly 100 times more credible than sitting in the middle of the road to force a police reaction which they then know will lead to violence by deluded, stupid young kids who get told they're doing their country and community a service by the muppets that stand in the shadows while it's happening.

ArdeeBhoy
17/07/2010, 1:12 AM
The thing is that the Easter Rising marches are few and far between by comparison and far less contentious. And certainly have no triumphalisism....they don't generate a whole season which lasts for months FFS.
After the 100th anniversary, am happy enough to see 1916 marked every decade for the next century and less often thereafter.

As for Paddy's Day, are you saying he's not a patron saint in the North? Or there is no patron saint there??
Still you can always have Nov. 30th?? ;)

And of course, any protest against such a hateful (and irrelevant) organisation like the OO is highly relevant. As I said the manner in which it happened was generally wrong.

peadar1987
17/07/2010, 2:31 AM
I got woken up at half past nine in the morning a few weeks back after a particularly heavy Friday night by a Unionist march in Glasgow. Forget politics, forget the Troubles, forget everything that's gone before, this is the one thing I will never forgive the Unionists for! :p

ArdeeBhoy
17/07/2010, 7:26 AM
Had similar last year, the day after my birthday at around 8am, the bigots were marching up Sandy Row in the rain watched by about 20 hardy souls.
Needless to say, they were given short shrift from this quarter!

Spudulika
17/07/2010, 9:50 AM
Have to take issue with one point Ardeebhoy, the OO are indigenious, or as much as any of the others there. In Ireland it is almost impossible to claim rights over land (unless your family have been living in the same bog in Mayo for 8,000 years, highly probable in some cases) - as this has been the nonsenscial and deluded argument used for ethnic cleansing around the world. I wouldn't give long odds on betting that there isn't a single person in Ireland without a bit of UK blood in them (again those who have stuck to rolling their own for 8,000 years are exempt from this).

awec
17/07/2010, 12:19 PM
The thing is that the Easter Rising marches are few and far between by comparison and far less contentious. And certainly have no triumphalisism....they don't generate a whole season which lasts for months FFS.
After the 100th anniversary, am happy enough to see 1916 marked every decade for the next century and less often thereafter.

As for Paddy's Day, are you saying he's not a patron saint in the North? Or there is no patron saint there??
Still you can always have Nov. 30th?? ;)

And of course, any protest against such a hateful (and irrelevant) organisation like the OO is highly relevant. As I said the manner in which it happened was generally wrong.

The Easter Marches are no different to the OO marches. Not sure what they're like down here, but in the North ( :) ) they are a nationalist-exclusive tricolour waving green white and orange parade. Not unlike any OO parade. The difference being, officially the Easter marches frequently pay tribute to dead IRA members (and I mean the modern, terrorist variety).

St Patrick is the patron saint of NI too, but in recent years it's been hijacked as some sort of nationalist festival. That's not to say that Unionists don't celebrate it, because they definitely do, but just in a more incognito way.

For what it's worth, I support all these parades as I find them an important part of this island's culture and history. Tolerance is all that's needed.

awec
17/07/2010, 12:20 PM
I got woken up at half past nine in the morning a few weeks back after a particularly heavy Friday night by a Unionist march in Glasgow. Forget politics, forget the Troubles, forget everything that's gone before, this is the one thing I will never forgive the Unionists for! :p
I'd take issue to that as well! :D

old git
17/07/2010, 10:58 PM

And yes old git, unless the people of Ardoyne are telling lies, those involved are not from the area.

The road is a public throughfare. It's not a road through a housing estate, it's a main road.

1. I won't deny the RUC had bad eggs.

2. What I find hilarious is, these republicans and thugs who attack the police go and yap if the police hit them back, claiming police brutality. Yet, if they get the united ireland they want and come up against the Guards, they'd have the sh**e knocked out of them! The guards are allowed to do the right thing - get stuck in.

what i said is the people in ardoyne did not bus in the thugs .... the tough guards knockin sh**te out of them ... yeah doing an excellent job at the moment in limerick& dublin the have the thugs /scumbags running for cover

Perhaps we should ban all marches that commemorate the 1916 Easter Rising too? And the Hibernian marches? What about the St Patricks day marches?

Do you not think these are an important part of this islands culture and history either?

The protest is not relevant. It is a public thoroughfare. It does not belong to any person or group of people. It's like saying "You may pay your car tax which entitles you to park on public roads, but you're not parking on this public road cause I said so".

In saying that, I would not mind so much if they stood at the side of the road holding plackards(sp?) suggesting their opposition to the march. Certainly 100 times more credible than sitting in the middle of the road to force a police reaction which they then know will lead to violence by deluded, stupid young kids who get told they're doing their country and community a service by the muppets that stand in the shadows while it's happening.

the same public thoroughfares that untill recently only finally accepted st patricks day parades in the city centre ... so why for so many hundreds of years was it ok to celebrate by marching round cities /towns to celebrate a victory won in drogheda southern ireland ....but a celebration of irelands patron saint was totally forebidden ...??

The Easter Marches are no different to the OO marches. Not sure what they're like down here, but in the North ( :) ) they are a nationalist-exclusive tricolour waving green white and orange parade. Not unlike any OO parade. The difference being, officially the Easter marches frequently pay tribute to dead IRA members (and I mean the modern, terrorist variety).

St Patrick is the patron saint of NI too, but in recent years it's been hijacked as some sort of nationalist festival. That's not to say that Unionists don't celebrate it, because they definitely do, but just in a more incognito way.

For what it's worth, I support all these parades as I find them an important part of this island's culture and history. Tolerance is all that's needed.

yes i can see it now the easter 1916 march going down the shankill /sandy row .... beating their lambeg drums even louder outside every orange order hall how many easter marches actually cause as much trouble as oo marches ... a hell of alot of 12th marchers/lodges are not to shy in paying tribute to dead uda/uff/uvf members either ... and i would say only a very small number of unionists actually celebrate paddys day

awec
18/07/2010, 12:23 AM
You seem to think that the 12th parade walks THROUGH a nationalist area (as you're trying to equate it with an Easter Parade up the Shankill).

It does NOT.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4893/trouble.png

The blue box indicates where the Crumlin Road was closed off. The red line indicates the parade route, with the big red X indicating the Ardoyne Shops were the trouble was instigated. The green squiggle indicates the nationalist area, the orange squiggle indicates the loyalist area (the shankill).

You may also note, that Ballysillan (in the top left of the screenshot) is a loyalist area.

awec
19/07/2010, 5:34 PM
http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/YOUNG-RIOTERS-FACE-TRAVEL-BAN.6426744.jp

Brilliant. Slap it up him.

awec
22/07/2010, 11:46 AM
http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/maps/belfast_religion.gif

You can see the Ardoyne sort of top centre left ish.

As you can see, the Crumlin Road goes through shankill, Crumlin, Woodvale and Glencairn, all of which are massively loyalist areas. It runs alongside the Ardoyne and goes through the New Lodge a bit at the start.

Does this finally put to bed the notion that they are walking THROUGH a nationalist area?

OneRedArmy
22/07/2010, 1:44 PM
How nicely tribal is that map. I presume your point is that marching is fair game in a red area? Its like a special sectarian Norn Ireland version of Twister.

culloty82
22/07/2010, 2:35 PM
Can't see the good of making the Twelfth a bank holiday in the Republic - the official Easter parades shouldn't have been revived, but the Unionists in turn have to realise that the symbolism of their marches doesn't help matters either.

awec
22/07/2010, 2:47 PM
How nicely tribal is that map. I presume your point is that marching is fair game in a red area? Its like a special sectarian Norn Ireland version of Twister.

Belfast is ultimately tribal. People are now more accepting of one another and the old sectarianism (for the most part) is gone. However, housing estates are still mainly one side or the other as people have formed close knit communities there over the past 30 odd years and so people won't move.

You'll find that out in the suburbs and fringes, in modern housing developments (detached/semi detached houses etc instead of council owned terraces) that it's a lot more mixed.

dantheman
22/07/2010, 3:45 PM
Belfast is ultimately tribal. People are now more accepting of one another and the old sectarianism (for the most part) is gone. However, housing estates are still mainly one side or the other as people have formed close knit communities there over the past 30 odd years and so people won't move.

You'll find that out in the suburbs and fringes, in modern housing developments (detached/semi detached houses etc instead of council owned terraces) that it's a lot more mixed.

You are correct about middle class areas being more mixed, and thankfully so.

That map is out of date however, about 20 years. Its based on 1991 census figures.

Note the change here (http://nireland2001.webs.com/aontroimantrim.htm): (http://nireland2001.webs.com/aontroimantrim.htm%29:)

http://nireland2001.webs.com//photos/null/prot%20beal%20feirste.png

FYI the most recent belfast city council election results (2005):

SF: 30,531 (30.6%), 14 seats
DUP: 25,722 (25.8%), 15 seats
SDLP: 17,058 (17.1%), 8 seats
UUP: 13,756 (13.8%), 7 seats
Alliance: 6,808 (6.8%), 4 seats
Green: 801 (0.8%)
PUP: 2,713 (2.7%), 2 seats
WP: 698 (0.7%)
Soc: 338 (0.3%)
Cons: 243 (0.2%)
Ind: 1007 (1%), 1 seat

in summary

NATIONALIST 48.4% (22 SEATS)
UNIONIST 43.7% (25 SEATS)
NON-ALIGNED 7.9% (4 SEATS)

as opposed to the time of that map, 1989 election:

UUP: 22,846 (21.7%), 14 councillors
DUP: 15,618 (14.8%), 8 councillors
SF: 19,688 (18.7%), 8 councillors
SDLP: 16,937 (16.1%), 8 councillors
Alliance: 11,479 (10.9%), 6 councillors
PUP: 2,533 (2.5%), 1 councillor
ULDP: 908 (0.9%)
Lab '87: 212 (0.2%)
GP: 95 (0.08%)
CPI: 175 (0.2%)
Prot U: 1,408 (1.3%), 1 councillor
WP: 5,571 (5.3%), 1 councillor
U: 5,102 (4.8%), 3 councillors
NF: 27 (0.02%)
Ind U: 1,462 (1.4%), 1 councillor
Ind: 1,166 (1.1%)

in summary

NATIONALIST 40.3% (17 SEATS)
UNIONIST 48.0% (28 SEATS)
NON-ALIGNED 12.0% (6 SEATS)

So quite a change. Figures from here:

http://www.ark.ac.uk/elections

That being said, if any of these scumbags out rioting had jobs to go to, they would be more restrained about their behaviour. They are only looking for an excuse to riot, the Orange parade is not the reason. And I say that as no fan of the Orange Order.

ArdeeBhoy
25/07/2010, 11:57 AM
There has been no local govt.elections there for 5 years??
And wouldn't accept the Alliance as 'non-aligned' as ultimately they believe in the 'status quo'.

dantheman
25/07/2010, 4:01 PM
There has been no local govt.elections there for 5 years??
And wouldn't accept the Alliance as 'non-aligned' as ultimately they believe in the 'status quo'.

None since 2005, they were supposed to review the number of councils, downwards to 15/11/7 but it hasn't happened yet. Elections were due in 2009

Alliance behave as non-aligned in relation to selecting mayors etc.

awec
25/07/2010, 4:20 PM
None since 2005, they were supposed to review the number of councils, downwards to 15/11/7 but it hasn't happened yet. Elections were due in 2009

Alliance behave as non-aligned in relation to selecting mayors etc.
That council thing is like turkeys voting for christmas!

Den Perry
26/07/2010, 11:19 AM
That council thing is like turkeys voting for christmas!

AWEC - are you actually from NI and living down here, or are you from the South, but with an affinity to your brethren in the OO? I know you've got a Bray Wanderers crest, but that's not telling me a lotI think I read that you said you were Unionit, but can't be sure

dantheman
26/07/2010, 12:24 PM
AWEC - are you actually from NI and living down here, or are you from the South, but with an affinity to your brethren in the OO? I know you've got a Bray Wanderers crest, but that's not telling me a lotI think I read that you said you were Unionit, but can't be sure

Are you one of us Awec :cool:, or one of them :mad:? We must know...

Den Perry
26/07/2010, 2:07 PM
Are you one of us Awec :cool:, or one of them :mad:? We must know...

Actually Dan, its nothing to do with one of "us" or "them". I'm just curious as to whether AWEC is from the South, because if he is, his views, sorry sympathies, towards orangism,are quite frankly astounding

awec
26/07/2010, 7:04 PM
I'm a nordie barsteward. :)

old git
27/07/2010, 10:48 PM
I'm a nordie barsteward. :)

go on you've probally been called worse ;)

awec
27/07/2010, 11:24 PM
Never to my face! :D

I find that if you respect other peoples views, they're more likely to respect yours. ;)