PDA

View Full Version : Manchester United supporters back Roy Keane?

Pages : [1] 2

pete
16/04/2004, 12:29 PM
Anyone found an Irish Manchester United supporter who not supporting Roiy Keane in the National team debacle?

brendy_éire
16/04/2004, 12:35 PM
Nope.

Virtually 100% of Cork people support him as well. :rolleyes:

pete
16/04/2004, 1:17 PM
Virtually 100% of Cork people support him as well. :rolleyes:

Not true. Me thinks just high concentration of Manchester supporters by the Lee...given people usually choose foreign teams based on irish players employer...

gustavo
16/04/2004, 9:02 PM
well manchester united would be my english team of choice and i would be swaying more towards an anti keane stance so i suppose thats one .

RedX
16/04/2004, 9:30 PM
brendy..you are getting seriously boring at this stage..everyone can see that you are anti-Keane by now..do you have to get your mouth into every little conversation to put Roy Keane down?..you say that 100% of Cork are behind Roy..well i hope this is true..we spend enough time supporting you lot in the North so why not you let us support our own down here..you really are an angry young man..all week you are shoving your opinion down everyones throat..if you are so anti-Keane feel free to supporting the country you live in instead..Northern Ireland ;)

brendy_éire
16/04/2004, 10:04 PM
brendy..you are getting seriously boring at this stage..everyone can see that you are anti-Keane by now..do you have to get your mouth into every little conversation to put Roy Keane down?..you say that 100% of Cork are behind Roy..well i hope this is true..we spend enough time supporting you lot in the North so why not you let us support our own down here..you really are an angry young man..all week you are shoving your opinion down everyones throat..if you are so anti-Keane feel free to supporting the country you live in instead..Northern Ireland ;)

Mucker, go away and think about what you just said. :rolleyes:

lopez
16/04/2004, 10:43 PM
Not true. Me thinks just high concentration of Manchester supporters by the Lee...given people usually choose foreign teams based on irish players employer...Agree. Plenty people from Cork reckon he's a l*nger.

thecorner
17/04/2004, 1:39 PM
if you are so anti-Keane feel free to supporting the country you live in instead..Northern Ireland ;)

i love this reply

BRILLIANT

lopez
18/04/2004, 12:05 AM
i love this reply

BRILLIANT
Normally I would be well p*ssed off with what RedX said. :mad: :mad: :mad: But with Brendy's views on the diaspora, I'm with you corner.

brendy_éire
18/04/2004, 2:14 AM
Lopez, surely you too then could "support the country you live in"? :rolleyes:

As for RedX and Corner, isn't it strange how the 'Rebel county' manages to churn out these traitors again and again. Collins, RMK and the likes of yourselves.

lopez
18/04/2004, 10:42 AM
Lopez, surely you too then could "support the country you live in"? :rolleyes:But like you, I don't. What p*sses me off is your view that unless you're not 'born and bred' in Ireland, then you're somewhat less of an Irishman/woman than you. OK, I'll admit that in my case you're right, but certainly not with those like PP, Sylvo, Junior and BringBackMick, who just happened to born on the wrong side of the Irish sea with Irish parents.

Comments like '90% of Celtic fans wouldn't know what county Athenry is in' are equally ridiculous. If the population of Ireland is as au fait on geography as their British counterparts, I'd wonder whether 90% of the Irish know what county Athenry is in. As for the 10% of Celtic fans or plastics who DO know what county Athenry is in - and quite a bit more about Ireland's history and culture - including a half breed like myself, sure we're only trying to be 'more Irish than the Irish themselves.' Like I said, normally Corner's remark would have me seething, but if you are going sneer at Yanks with Irish backgrounds - whose dollars financed the provos for 25 years - then don't expect sympathy when others start looking down on you.

Duncan Gardner
18/04/2004, 10:52 AM
Morning all. I had a leak once at Athenry station if that's a help.

I'm backing the country I used to live in. Amsterdam arena here we come (Eurostar cheapie permitting!)...

lopez
18/04/2004, 11:12 AM
Morning all. I had a leak once at Athenry station if that's a help.
My great uncle was a priest there.

I'm backing the country I used to live in. Amsterdam arena here we come (Eurostar cheapie permitting!)...
Nothing to do with the colour of the shirts? :D Hope to see you there then.

patsh
18/04/2004, 11:54 AM
As for RedX and Corner, isn't it strange how the 'Rebel county' manages to churn out these traitors again and again. Collins, RMK and the likes of yourselves.
This must be a windup, NOBODY could seriously mean a comment as stupid as that.. :rolleyes:

A face
18/04/2004, 1:44 PM
Comments like '90% of Celtic fans wouldn't know what county Athenry is in' are equally ridiculous.

I'd just have to disagree with ya there lad, even though it is more like 97%

Alot of Sell-Thick fans dont know their árse from their elbow, geography is just a bridge too far.

Gary
18/04/2004, 2:36 PM
Speaking as a Celt through and through I think its grerat to see Roy back in the fold where he belongs.

how McCarthy had the neck to send him home I'll never know...

:rolleyes:

Welcome back Silvio.

Good to see you still have your head firmly wedged up your hole!

:rolleyes:

brendy_éire
18/04/2004, 3:13 PM
But like you, I don't. What p*sses me off is your view that unless you're not 'born and bred' in Ireland, then you're somewhat less of an Irishman/woman than you. OK, I'll admit that in my case you're right, but certainly not with those like PP, Sylvo, Junior and BringBackMick, who just happened to born on the wrong side of the Irish sea with Irish parents.

Lopez, when have I ever said stuff like that? I consider those who have Irish parents but are brought up in other countries to be Irish if they have the social traits of being Irish.
Speaking from experience, I've plenty of family in England, the US, Australia, Spain. They all consider themselves Irish, but I'd say it's about half and half those who I would consider so. I have no problem with my Australian relatives claiming to be Irish, they act it. They know about Ireland and the culture of the country. However my American family is a different story. They don't know the first thing about Ireland, had never heard of gaelic football and all wanted Irish passports because "we don't want to get, like, drafted, man" [in reference to conscription in the US army]. It's that kind of person I don't consider Irish.

lopez
18/04/2004, 3:50 PM
Lopez, when have I ever said stuff like that? I consider those who have Irish parents but are brought up in other countries to be Irish if they have the social traits of being Irish...Some of your posts of late suggest that this is different. The one on 'Have you got any Irish in you?' was particularly antagonising with references to the 'foreigners' in the Irish team and the suggestion by yourself that: 'We should stick to having Irish born players only.' Why's that? Sorry but that doesn't suggest you consider us plastics as being as Irish as you. Nor do references to Celtic as a West Brit club seeing that the club was founded by an Irishman and most of their supporters from Glasgow are of Irish descent.

It is even more surprising coming from someone in the 6C. Not that I think the 6C is a part of Britain, even if it is recognised as such by the 26C government, but there are the odd few in the south that think that Ireland stops at the border and that you have no rights to being part of the Irish nation. I'll give you an example: A well known reporter, recreational drug taker and supporter of K**ne was rumoured to have walked into a bar in New York on the eve of our game with Italy in 1994. He overhears a group of Northerners and asks what the f*ck they are doing here. 'We're following the lads' they reply to what is to them a pretty stupid question seeing they are probably dressed up like leprechauns. The reporter replies: 'But you lot didn't f*cking qualify?' What happened after is conjecture but ends with the hack being kicked out by the bouncers. He had a column (well page) in the Sunday Indo at the time so I'm sure, if true, he might have mentioned this incident in it.

If you are born in Ireland you can walk about with a rasta haircut, claim to be a Buddhist and hate the sight of every bit of Irish culture going and still be more acceptable than us plastics. God help any of us if we deviate from the ultra-nationalist line - Matt Holland singing God Save Brenda is a classic example even though he's half English - and if we don't, then we're trying to be more Irish than the Irish themselves.

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 12:43 PM
Comments like '90% of Celtic fans wouldn't know what county Athenry is in' are equally ridiculous. If the population of Ireland is as au fait on geography as their British counterparts, I'd wonder whether 90% of the Irish know what county Athenry is in. As for the 10% of Celtic fans or plastics who DO know what county Athenry is in - and quite a bit more about Ireland's history and culture - including a half breed like myself, sure we're only trying to be 'more Irish than the Irish themselves.'

I heard somewhere the Athenry in the song is actually in County Wicklow and not the better known Co Galway town. Does anyone know is this true? How many Athenrys are there in Ireland?

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 12:54 PM
Lopez, surely you too then could "support the country you live in"? :rolleyes:

Most Catholics in the North of Ireland supported Home Rule and not Sinn Fein in 1918. And those that were Republican were mainly pro-treaty and pro-Collins. I suppose they're all traitors too. :rolleyes:

The most Republican parts of Ireland were Kerry, Cork, Limerick and Tipperary. So much so that they were called the Munster Republic. Northern Catholic conservatives were opposed to Republicanism because mother church was opposed to it.

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 1:06 PM
PS.BE may have ****ed you all off,but not even Paisley deserves to have to support the Puppet state....bad enough being a closet Scotland fan.....& Messrs.Adair/Hutchinson have gone one further.....

What's wrong with supporting OSC and Scotland. They are Gaelic countries after all. I support Ireland (that's "the Republic") first of all and then secondly Northern Ireland and thirdly Scotland.

If all you Celtic fans hate Scotland so much why don't you get them to move from Glasgow to Ireland. As for OSC, a lot of them may be bigots but it still is eleven Irishmen in green shirts.

gustavo
19/04/2004, 1:59 PM
why is this is the eL forum?! :confused:

pete
19/04/2004, 2:02 PM
How the feck did (soft C) Seltic hijack this thread???

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 2:06 PM
How the feck did (soft C) Seltic hijack this thread???

This thread should be in general football. Celtic fans hijack everything that's Irish (ask Hibs fans) and hate the Scottish even though their club is Scottish. :confused:

pete
19/04/2004, 2:11 PM
done.........

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 2:34 PM
I just don't understand why Old Firm fans hate Scotland so much even though most of them are Scottish. I once heard a Rangers fan with a thick Glasweigan accent call Scotland "a mickey mouse country". This is what he called his own country. What planet are these idiots from?

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 2:37 PM
PS.Celtic are more Irish than Man.Ure......!

Man Utd have traditionally more Irish supporters though which makes them as Irish as Celtic.

lopez
19/04/2004, 2:38 PM
Most Catholics in the North of Ireland supported Home Rule and not Sinn Fein in 1918. And those that were Republican were mainly pro-treaty and pro-Collins. I suppose they're all traitors too. :rolleyes.Certainly was the case in the cities and NE. See election results for 1919 election. Read (I think) 'The Secret History of The IRA' where Martin claims that Derry barely had a Republican prior to 69.

What's wrong with supporting OSC and Scotland. They are Gaelic countries after all. I support Ireland (that's "the Republic") first of all and then secondly Northern Ireland and thirdly Scotland.

If all you Celtic fans hate Scotland so much why don't you get them to move from Glasgow to Ireland. As for OSC, a lot of them may be bigots but it still is eleven Irishmen in green shirts.
Most Celtic fans do support Scotland. Those that don't are usually 2G or fanatical chuckies (and they won't support the Free State either). Why don't these support Scotland? Simple! Because like me and my fellow plastics aren't English, they're not f*cking Scottish. Next you'll be saying that I should support England and if I don't I must hate this country and should get my a*se out of it ASAP. :rolleyes:

As for NI, the team is seen in the eyes of Northern nationalists as unionist and there is plenty of evidence to support their case, which I would be glad to offer. Again you may as well suggest to these people: 'You're British...live with it!'

Plastic Paddy
19/04/2004, 2:51 PM
Most Celtic fans do support Scotland. Those that don't are usually 2G or fanatical chuckies (and they won't support the Free State either).

On the money as ever, Señor. Anyone doubting this, get yourselves over to the Huddleboard - www.thehuddleboard.com - and check out exactly what many people think of supporting Scotland and "the Free Staters". It might surprise a few of you who've never been north or east of Dublin before. :rolleyes:

;) PP

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 2:56 PM
Most Celtic fans do support Scotland. Those that don't are usually 2G or fanatical chuckies (and they won't support the Free State either). Why don't these support Scotland? Simple! Because like me and my fellow plastics aren't English, they're not f*cking Scottish. Next you'll be saying that I should support England and if I don't I must hate this country and should get my a*se out of it ASAP. :rolleyes:

As for NI, the team is seen in the eyes of Northern nationalists as unionist and there is plenty of evidence to support their case, which I would be glad to offer. Again you may as well suggest to these people: 'You're British...live with it!'

Nothing wrong with 2G supporting Ireland. But maybe its just me but if you read Celtic fanzines they do seem to be anti-Scottish. Are all Celtic fanzine writers 2G, I doubt it. I can see also that some people like Mick McCarthy can have divided loyalties. McCarthy's father was Irish but his mother was English. Just because he may have an affinity with England it doesn't mean he shouldn't be regarded as Irish.

Yeah the NI team may be run by unionists but don't the vast majority of Nationalist footballers declare for them rather than Republic. Are the likes of Pat Jennings, Gerry Armstrong and a certain Martin O'Neill "British" becAuse they played for NI? I'd prefer an all-Ireland side myself but the NI team is still made up of Irishmen.

brendy_éire
19/04/2004, 4:10 PM
Most Catholics in the North of Ireland supported Home Rule and not Sinn Fein in 1918. And those that were Republican were mainly pro-treaty and pro-Collins. I suppose they're all traitors too.

Aye.

On the Northern team, I don't support them and hope they rot. I used to be of the opinion that since they're Irish I should support them, but stuff like death threats against Neil Lennon has changed this. A team with supporters like that doesn't deserve anything from me.

And BTW, Celtic are Scottish, end of story. Give it up, lads. I'll accept that they were set up by Irish people, but that was in 1888. The club has moved on to being an international corporation that now sees Ireland as a source of profit. If Celtic are really serious about being Irish, move here, apply to join the eL. I'd welcome them. Oh wait, I forgot, that would hurt their profits, and the shareholders wouldn't be too happy about that now.
And ManUre Irish? Christ. :rolleyes: Having Irish supporters does not make any team Irish.

Lads, stop deluding yourselves, there are no Irish teams in Britain.

pete
19/04/2004, 4:11 PM
Anyone found an Irish Manchester United supporter who not supporting Roy Keane in the National team debacle?

Is that 1 so far then?

gustavo
19/04/2004, 4:24 PM
ehhhhh seems to be pete!

lopez
19/04/2004, 4:32 PM
Nothing wrong with 2G supporting Ireland. But maybe its just me but if you read Celtic fanzines they do seem to be anti-Scottish. Are all Celtic fanzine writers 2G, I doubt it. .
I don't know myself as I haven't read a Celtic Fanzine since Not The View in the early nineties. Interesting that when Celtic played Ireland in 91 the crowd booed Scotland the Brave. I mean it wasn't a few whistles, but loads. I meet few Glaswegians at Ireland games but I also know that Scottish society was as discriminatory as NI was up until the eighties at least. When your 5G it's hard to show loyalty to your ancestral home - which incidently may be one of many of which one of the others could be Scotland owing to your religion purely being a result of Ne temere - but discrimination also questions any loyalty to your land of birth either.

Yeah the NI team may be run by unionists but don't the vast majority of Nationalist footballers declare for them rather than Republic. Are the likes of Pat Jennings, Gerry Armstrong and a certain Martin O'Neill "British" becAuse they played for NI? I'd prefer an all-Ireland side myself but the NI team is still made up of Irishmen.The NI team has had a chequered history with nationalists and southerners, and I think it all ended with the disbandment of the British Championship, which was the last link to an all-Ireland side. Perhaps that's simplisitic, but Northern GAA fans do not follow Kerry or Cork so I don't think it's down to the fortunes of both teams but the perception of NI now as a unionist team. There have been a number of Northerners playing in youth teams but - Alan Kernaghan aside - they've yet to play in the Republic's side. I'm also for an all-Ireland team, but they're many against on this board.

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 5:18 PM
Aye.

Wasn't the Irish civil war fought over the oath and not partition. Didn't Michael Collins have plans to invade the North before he died. The reason he agreed to have Fermanagh and Tyrone included in NI may have been to destablise the six counties with a large Catholic population.

Anyway many of Collins supporters in the pro-treaty IRA defected to Fianna Fail when it was formed because they resented the recruitment of ex-British soldiers to the Free State army and the heavy handed tactics of the Free State against their former comrades in the anti-treaty IRA. They also resented the fact that Cumann na nGael's leadership was been taken over by Jesuit educated "West British" ex-Home rulers.

Another interesting fact is that Eoin O'Duffy leader of the Bluehirts called for an invasion of Northern Ireland in the late 1930's. Also heard that he may have been involved in a gay relationship with Michael MacLiamore, the Oscar Wilde impersonator.

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 5:23 PM
Back to the topic I welcome the fact that Keane is going to play for Ireland again. I don't have anything against Mick McCarthy but he has to take as much of the blame as Roy does, if not more.

Paddy Ramone
19/04/2004, 7:50 PM
Aye.

On the Northern team, I don't support them and hope they rot. I used to be of the opinion that since they're Irish I should support them, but stuff like death threats against Neil Lennon has changed this. A team with supporters like that doesn't deserve anything from me.

NI supporters aren't all bigots, are they?

brendy_éire
19/04/2004, 10:16 PM
NI supporters aren't all bigots, are they?

Not at all. But a lot of them are, enough to turn me against them.

Paddy Ramone
20/04/2004, 11:51 AM
These players from a nationalist background played in a different era...here's hoping they follow their egg-chasing counterparts & see the light.....the opportunity is there for them!

But if we were to have a truly all-Ireland team, it would be nice to have a few players from a unionist background in NI playing for us and not just nationalists. The NI side would have to be disbanded for that ever to happen.

Plastic Paddy
20/04/2004, 12:04 PM
But if we were to have a truly all-Ireland team, it would be nice to have a few players from a unionist background in NI playing for us and not just nationalists. The NI side would have to be disbanded for that ever to happen.

Fair point, but they would have to be good enough first. Keith Gillespie some years back (as opposed to now, obviously) is the most recent example of an Ulster Protestant who may have made an all-Ireland side. None since.

As an aside, did not Brian Kerr try to persuade Chris Baird (a good Skats surname if ever I heard one, but that doesn't really mean anything...) to opt for us instead of Norn Iron? Baird obviously told him no... :rolleyes: ;)

:) PP

Paddy Ramone
20/04/2004, 12:15 PM
As an aside, did not Brian Kerr try to persuade Chris Baird (a good Skats surname if ever I heard one, but that doesn't really mean anything...) to opt for us instead of Norn Iron? Baird obviously told him no... :rolleyes: ;)

:) PP

I read on the OWC (NI) that he was a Catholic. Could be wrong though. But Baird certainly sounds like a "Presbyterian" surname. Wasn't Alan Kernaghan a Linfield supporter?

Paddy Ramone
20/04/2004, 12:18 PM
Back to Roy Keane. Weren't Linfield going to sue him because of inaccurate comments he made about their anti-Catholic policies.

lopez
20/04/2004, 12:25 PM
Back to Roy Keane. Weren't Linfield going to sue him because of inaccurate comments he made about their anti-Catholic policies.He got the year they stopped practicing it wrong. Very libelous! :rolleyes:

lopez
20/04/2004, 12:27 PM
As an aside, did not Brian Kerr try to persuade Chris Baird (a good Skats surname if ever I heard one, but that doesn't really mean anything...) to opt for us instead of Norn Iron? Baird obviously told him no...I think Kerr shold approach all prospective players regardless of religion or political persuasion. Don't want anyone suggesting that he's discriminating. :D

Paddy Ramone
20/04/2004, 12:30 PM
He got the year they stopped practicing it wrong. Very libelous! :rolleyes:

Nice one, Lopez. But didn't a few Catholics play for them back in the late 40's and early 50's.

lopez
20/04/2004, 4:01 PM
Nice one, Lopez. But didn't a few Catholics play for them back in the late 40's and early 50's.Yeah I think one of the Republic internationals of the era, Davy something or other, played for them. Like with Alex Stevenson of Rangers, I'm not altogether sure if he was RC though. Con Martin definitely played for Glentoran though I don't think they ever had a bar on RCs.

As for the Linfield fan following Ireland? :confused: Not that Nesbitt bloke who's been shagging the 17 year old call girl then going home to tell how much he loves his wife. :rolleyes:

Paddy Ramone
20/04/2004, 6:07 PM
Yeah I think one of the Republic internationals of the era, Davy something or other, played for them. Like with Alex Stevenson of Rangers, I'm not altogether sure if he was RC though. Con Martin definitely played for Glentoran though I don't think they ever had a bar on RCs.

Davy Walsh was his name and he was from Waterford and he was Catholic. Alex Stevenson was a Protestant according to a book I read on the history of the Irish international side.

lopez
21/04/2004, 9:29 AM
JN?Acc.to DG,is Coleraine'fan'......?

Linfield fan,You know!Acquaintance of PC......
Was pro-RMK years ago..same night of your do in Yardiff....He & I had words re.RMK....but now on speaking terms....
Is it KM? Can't see him having 'words' with anyone he's so laid back. Only person I can think of as a. he's a product of 'love across the political divide' and b. he was shown in the dying minutes of the Spain game after the equaliser, but I'm sure he's not Linfield.

the 12 th man
21/04/2004, 9:56 AM
My great uncle was a priest there.

i think i know the great man.
but you know, they never proved any of those allegations :D

lopez
21/04/2004, 11:21 AM
i think i know the great man.
but you know, they never proved any of those allegations :DAbsolutely not! They just moved him to Monrovia instead. :eek: