PDA

View Full Version : Highprofiel figures for and against Keane coming back

NeilMcD
15/04/2004, 4:06 PM
i dont wanans start this big debate again, but i was looking to start a log on people who are against Roy Keane coming back and those in favour. And i mean people who are ex internationsl or involved at the highest level of football or current internationals. These are the ones i have so far.

Brian Kerr
Fran Rooney
Kevin Moran
Ray Houghton
Mark Lawrenson
Frank Stapleton
Damien Duff
Kenny Cunningham
Robbie Keane,
John O Shea
Liam Miller
Jason Mc Ateer
Niall Quinn
Graham Kavanagh
Chris Hughton
John Giles
Eamon Dunphy
Jeff Kenna
Stephen Carr
Shay Given.

Ozymandias
15/04/2004, 5:01 PM
I see John Giles in your list....didn't he do something similar in the sixties and not play for ireland for three years because of a difference of opinion
I'm nearly certain he did...

scouser
15/04/2004, 5:24 PM
I mean, Mark Lawrenson thinks pink ties are quite the dapper thing to wear in public, but I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Fashion is a personal thing and I don't see the relevance whatsoever of Mark Lawrenson's dress sense to his standard of punditry or to this thread. Are you trying to suggest people who wear pink ties know nothing with regards to football or is it just another of you pathetic snide remarks directed at people who are many levels about you in terms of fooball knowledge?

tricky_colour
15/04/2004, 5:30 PM
i dont wanans start this big debate again, but i was looking to start a log on people who are against Roy Keane coming back and those in favour. And i mean people who are ex internationsl or involved at the highest level of football or current internationals. These are the ones i have so far.

Brian Kerr
Fran Rooney
<snip>
Stephen Carr
Shay Given.

You didn't say whether your list is either for or against or what.
Andy Reid seems in favour.

Metrostars
15/04/2004, 5:43 PM
Dean Kiely didnt have favourable remarks the other day. Then again, he was one of the goalkeepers who Keane said looked to be on holiday in Saipan.

brendy_éire
15/04/2004, 6:09 PM
Who gives a damn about these 'high profile figures'. It's the fans that matter, or at least should matter.

Footie_Fan
15/04/2004, 6:15 PM
Dean Kiely didnt have favourable remarks the other day. Then again, he was one of the goalkeepers who Keane said looked to be on holiday in Saipan.

He is retired from international football now so his opinion isn't really too important.

Éanna
15/04/2004, 6:26 PM
He is retired from international football now so his opinion isn't really too important.
there were a lot of people willing to ask Keane's opinion on the matter when he was retired from international football!!!!!

Slash/ED
15/04/2004, 6:31 PM

Use your head. If Kiely isn't happy about Keanes return then chances are he isn't the only one. He may be retired, but his opinion could be shared by alot who were there in Saipain, so it's very important to listen to what he has to say.

Footie_Fan
15/04/2004, 6:34 PM
Use your head. If Kiely isn't happy about Keanes return then chances are he isn't the only one. He may be retired, but his opinion could be shared by alot who were there in Saipain, so it's very important to listen to what he has to say.

Well he is the only one so far to come out and say anything. The only other person who possibly isn't happy is Matt Holland. Anyway it's time to move on and forget Saipan. It's a new beginning.

scouser
15/04/2004, 7:30 PM
Whooohoohoo. Steady on there tiger.

A mere 14 posts into his posting career, Scouser gets real cocky. I remember when you were fresh faced and thought Roy Keane was a Scouser playing football for Kerry

How many levels above me in football knowledge are you, Scouser? I have many old Shoot issues and Panini collections from the 80s - does that put me up a level or two?

I'll make it real nice and simple, just for you like. I don't really care what Lawrenson's opinions on Keane are. If 200 Lawrensons and his ilk wanted Keane back, should that change my mind? If you are swayed by the likes of Lawrenson, then that's fair enough. But don't equate treating the words of a pundit with reverence as anything like football knowledge. Next you'll be telling us how great Talksport Radio and You're on Sky Sports are...

Its amazing how you spent typing such a long post and yet still forgot to answer my question. Instead you continued with your increasingly stale sarcasm and came up with the idea that

a) I am cocky for questioning your sarcasm
b) I have no right to question what you say due my inferior no of posts
c) I believe I am of greater knowledge than you.
d) I think just because Mark Lawrenson says its good means you should change your mind.

If you could spend more time reading posts properly than perfecting your witty ways, maybe this post of mine would not have been necessary. Read the post again and if you do get time, and to make it real nice and simple, answer the post. It really is amazing how defensive people can get when you ask them something so simple.

Ozymandias
16/04/2004, 9:11 AM
I saw the Dean Kiely Interview on Sky and he said that on the pitch no one will have a problem with roy and he will be welcomed there.

I think he was kinda on the fence a small bit was our Dean

drummerboy
16/04/2004, 9:32 AM
Brian Kerr is the manager of the Republic of Ireland and he has seen fit to include Roy Keane in his squad. Regardless of fans personal opinions of Keane, we as fans, should at least give the Manager our backing. He obviously thinks this will benefit the team. I'm sure he has discussed this with the squad. I personally felt Keane was wrong in the manner he persued his differences with Mccarthy, however I am prepared to forgive and forget for the sake of the team. If Keane is booed on his next appearance in Lansdowne, I think it will affect the team and therefore be detremental to Brian Kerr and what he is trying to do.

NeilMcD
16/04/2004, 9:40 AM
Drummerboy you have put it perfectly its up to Brian Kerr and he is ni support of it and so are many many current players I think they know the ins and outs of the situation whereas we are relyilng on media reports etc to form our opinions and that is regardless of what side you are taking on it. So my opinion would be that if Brian kerr is not ****ed off about what happened in feb last year why should any fan be after all he is the one that was meant to be let down by it. And if jason mcateer and kenny cunningham and the rest of the players welcome him back and after all mc ateer and a spat with him how come someone who has probably never met him and only observed a media created character, have such strongs views and not want him back. The facts of teh matter is that all reasonable opinion wants him back to play, I am not saying people like him or anything like that , but reasonable opinion wants him to play fore Ireland. When i say reasonable opinion i mean the majority of supporter, Niall Quinn, damien duff well basically the list i put up there. But however conor you chose to pick one person from that list mark lawrenson and base your argument on his taste in fashion. NOw if that is not debasing the debate i dont know what is. The point of my post was that here were a mixed group of people how have had various roles and involvment in the whole issue and they are all in favour of his return.. I cant think of one person that has come out against it that is involved in it. Dean Kiely said he was supried and it did not make sense but he did say it was beneficial for our chances of qualifying. So people you dont have to like roy keane you dont have to cheer him but just accept that it is the best thing for the team according to the manager and the players and teh majority of supporter.

NeilMcD
16/04/2004, 9:57 AM
seee once again you are doing it, i am not talking about the likes or tony cottee or rodney marsh. Its brian Kerr, and the players in the squad. And we are not asking you to like it but to accept it as it is so obviously what the majority of teh players managment and supporters are in favour of it. Personally when i am making an opinion i usually formulate it by amassing different peoples points of view and coming up with my own view of it therefore that is what is called an informed opinion. Therefore if opinions are formed by listening to others peoples views rather than just formulating it in your mind out of personal grudges etc etc i think it is a much more healthy situation. I am perpared to say Brian kerr know much more about this situation than I do therefore his opinion is more valid than mine. However you are so cocky and self righteous that somehow your opinion overrides his despite the fact you are just an observer. come on

Plastic Paddy
16/04/2004, 10:12 AM
However you are so cocky and self righteous that somehow your opinion overrides his despite the fact you are just an observer. come on

Neil, considering you're accusing Conor of being cocky and self-righteous, you yourself are being incredibly patronising. The man has a different view to you, that's all. Deal with it.

:) PP

NeilMcD
16/04/2004, 10:33 AM
yeah i do, if the players and managment did not want him there well then there is no point in him been there at the end of the day its up to the manager to pick the squad and the team and Mc Carthy chose to unpick keane from the squad thats his choice and I supported Ireland right through the world cup and for the Euro 2004 qualifies and i never booed anybody.

scouser
16/04/2004, 11:25 AM
Okay, because you seem to have missed it in my last post scouser, I'll say it again (sorry folks, hate to repeat myself verbatim but seems like scouser missed the answer because he reckons I avoided his questions).

Now, what exactly was the unanswered bit in your post? Or have I totally missed the point and were you really seeking my opinion on pink ties? Okay, they're not bad, but not great when combined with light grey suits, a moustache and a mid Irish Sea/Preston accent. If I known you were Liverpool's number one fan complete with devastating scouse sense of humour, I would have gone easy on Lawro.

Did the 'green white and gold' bit get you upset when reminded that they are the Kerry colours? Ireland traditionally play in green and white you know.

And petal, I didn't spend that long typing, but perhaps I would if I was stabbing the keyboard with one finger. Don't get defensive about that remark, if anything your last post showed that you shouldn't be defensive when accusing others of...well being defensive...

You can keep up the insults if you like, but perhaps you can switch them to private messages before everyone gets bored.

Please point out where I have insulted you? Its funny how you think you have an audience. This is a forum not a stage drama.

NeilMcD
16/04/2004, 12:07 PM
Nice to see the website is objective, nothing wrong with the facilities in japan. right or wrong, keane didnt play in the world cup by choice. Cop on elevenaside, how’s about a bit of non-bias commentary

James, 4/15/2004

The Editor replies:
We don’t believe we’ve shown any bias in our coverage of Keane’s return from a self-imposed international exile. Out of almost 600 votes cast in our Keane poll, precisely half think it’s the best news all year, while just one 1 in 5 of eleven-a-side.com voters say he’s not welcome back. We’ve carried reaction from various Irish players, past and present, on Keane’s decision to return to the fold and, almost to a man, these have been overwhelmingly positive. Finally, by asking us for "non-bias commentary", are you not asking us to take your evidently anti-Keane view, and would that not, in itself, be succumbing to bias?

Paulie
16/04/2004, 12:54 PM
Brian Kerr is the manager of the Republic of Ireland and he has seen fit to include Roy Keane in his squad. Regardless of fans personal opinions of Keane, we as fans, should at least give the Manager our backing. He obviously thinks this will benefit the team. I'm sure he has discussed this with the squad. I personally felt Keane was wrong in the manner he persued his differences with Mccarthy, however I am prepared to forgive and forget for the sake of the team. If Keane is booed on his next appearance in Lansdowne, I think it will affect the team and therefore be detremental to Brian Kerr and what he is trying to do.

Well said. Hit the nail on the head.

NeilMcD
16/04/2004, 1:25 PM
Holland backs Keane return

FOOTBALL FOCUS

Football Focus
Saturday, 1210 BST, BBC One
Matt Holland has welcomed former captain Roy Keane's decision to resume playing for the Republic of Ireland.
Manchester United skipper Keane announced his return to the Ireland scene earlier this week after two years in international exile.

"Roy's one of the best players that Ireland has ever produced," Holland told BBC One's Football Focus.

"With him in the side we have certainly got a bigger chance of qualifying for the 2006 World Cup in Germany."

Holland was part of the Republic of Ireland squad Keane walked out on after a row with then boss Mick McCarthy at the 2002 World Cup.

He said: "It was a shame the way things turned out. But Roy made his decision then to do what he did and has made his decision now to come back.

"The World Cup qualifiers start in September and if he's around for those then certainly it will give us a massive chance of qualifying for Germany.

"Roy played a massive and significant part in getting Ireland to the last World Cup. Some of his displays against Holland and Portugal were outstanding."

scouser
16/04/2004, 4:12 PM
Is this a new record Dahamsta? A whole post about me, and not one reference to the topic of the thread, not even to dress up a personal post!

For the second time I will repeat myself. If you wish to get personal, by all means PM me. The other posters are bored, the Moderators will be annoyed and will give us both a slap on the wrists, and it's just getting childish.

2 posts, 2 questions

Are you trying to suggest people who wear pink ties know nothing with regards to football or is it just another of you pathetic snide remarks directed at people who are many levels about you in terms of fooball knowledge?

Please point out where I have insulted you?

real nice and simple, both unanswered. Many unfounded allegations made by you. More sarcasm. I'll leave it at that. It's quite obvious you are don't understand the meaning of asking a question.