PDA

View Full Version : John Delaney Cup 2010

ponyobrien
09/07/2010, 7:09 PM
News article from TSDL website:

John Delaney Cup

A mouth watering preseason competition will be unveiled next Monday night 12 July 2010 at Two Mile Borris AFC grounds in Newhill Park – on the old Dublin-Cork road between the Turnpike and Littleton at 8.30pm.
This competition will see the top four teams from the Tipperary Southern & District League compete against the top four teams from the North Tipperary & District League.
The draw for the first round which will be home and away will be made on Monday. This will see the top four teams in the TSDL facing their counterparts in the NTDL. The semi-final will be an open draw, with the final being played possibly on the 7 August.
Like the Joe Delaney Cup that has been an outstanding success for the Under 18 game, this again is another step to bring the two leagues in the county, that have operated independently since 1977 closer together.
This competition will be named after John Delaney who is the current Chief Executive Officer of the FAI and of course a native of Tipperary town.
We look forward to seeing a good turnout of the representatives from the eight Clubs that will be competing plus anyone else that might like to come. There will be photographs and media coverage on the night as part of the promotion of this competition.

ponyobrien
09/07/2010, 7:15 PM
How do other people feel about this competition. Personally I am very disappointed with this impending cup. The first I heard about this competition was about 4 weeks ago and at such short notice it interferes with pre-season plans. Also you could end up playing one of the top TSDL teams in a two legged affair. Surely we meet often enough in existing competitions. Rumour has it some NTDL teams cannot play on certain dates, and therefore with any luck the competition will never take place.

serpico
09/07/2010, 7:50 PM
How do other people feel about this competition. Personally I am very disappointed with this impending cup. The first I heard about this competition was about 4 weeks ago and at such short notice it interferes with pre-season plans. Also you could end up playing one of the top TSDL teams in a two legged affair. Surely we meet often enough in existing competitions. Rumour has it some NTDL teams cannot play on certain dates, and therefore with any luck the competition will never take place.
sure once the fai was'nt won by st.michaels delaney went away and made up a competition for them to win it.thats his goodbye because his days are numbered in abbottstown and good riddance to him.what a joke.

daisycutter
09/07/2010, 7:54 PM
sure once the fai was'nt won by st.michaels delaney went away and made up a competition for them to win it.thats his goodbye because his days are numbered in abbottstown and good riddance to him.what a joke.
sure why dont st michaels play pike for it and maybe delaney could play himself.he can present it to himself then after the game because pike would have no chance.

Den Perry
10/07/2010, 1:55 PM
am hearing there is a new competition between the top 4 teams in TSDL and top4 in North Tipp

If this is true its a great idea. We don't get to play our northern cousins enough!Can daz, celticlads or any of the north tipp lads tell me who were the top 4 in north tipp? I know Nenagh Celtic won the league
From TSDL it will be Peake Villa, Clonmel Celtic,St Michaels and ClonmelTown
any more opinions on this?

ponyobrien
10/07/2010, 9:17 PM
http://foot.ie/threads/137902-John-Delaney-Cup

Big Ears
11/07/2010, 4:27 AM

I was a youth player when the U18 version of this competition was created and from the very start we were informed that if it were successful we would see a Junior version.
I'm no fan of John Delaney, but this is not the place for Pike to spout their rubbish, now if you have anything constructive to say about this tournament then by all means post away.

The timing of the competition could be better, but I'm glad they've finally created. I think it's a positive for football in both North and South Tipperary.

daz22
11/07/2010, 1:43 PM
pony, we in north tipp knew about this competition early last year so cant understand why ye did not know. you are right bout some teams on certain dates.we , nenagh celtic will probably only have a mickey mouse team out in it at the start id say but will play any day. i hear nenagh afc are in germany(yearly trip) and probably be most of their B team that will fulfill the fixture at the start.Blackcastle ive being told have a players wedding on a proposed date for a fixture. as for cloughjordan never know with them especially when still involved in hurling. It is a positive idea but 2 legs are a bit much.also clubs gona get hit for paying for 3 officials!!!! we in north tipp are being omitted from our premier shield competition at the start on the season,anything like this happening down south??

ponyobrien
11/07/2010, 7:43 PM
There is no Premier shield in TSDL

Mission Bell
12/07/2010, 1:13 PM
John Delaney has been good for the FAI and football in this country and successful people always attract criticism. It's a sign he's doing a good job. By the as its a Tipperary Cup, should'nt the best team in the county, Carrick Utd., be invited,?

ponyobrien
12/07/2010, 3:25 PM
John Delaney has been good for the FAI and football in this country and successful people always attract criticism. It's a sign he's doing a good job. By the as its a Tipperary Cup, should'nt the best team in the county, Carrick Utd., be invited,?

I have no problem with John Delaney, just the timing of the tournament. If Carrick United want to play in it they need to join the TSDL, as its a competition between the top four teams in the NTDL premier and top four in TSDL premier divisions.

Mission Bell
12/07/2010, 3:31 PM
It will hardly decide the best team in Tipp if Carrick are not in it. By the way I was agreing with you on John Delaney and everything else. Thought I was being constructive about the thread!
So much for that.

ponyobrien
12/07/2010, 9:37 PM
It will hardly decide the best team in Tipp if Carrick are not in it. By the way I was agreing with you on John Delaney and everything else. Thought I was being constructive about the thread!
So much for that.

I wasn't having a go at you.

Clonmel Celtic home to Nenagh AFC on 28th July and away on 1st August

balls
12/07/2010, 11:00 PM
any idea what other 3 fixtures are pony?

ponyobrien
12/07/2010, 11:26 PM
Clonmel town drew Nenagh Celtic. I don't know the other two.

Den Perry
13/07/2010, 11:47 AM

Well I am having a go. Read the earlier post - it states the top 4 in TSDL and the top4 in North Tipp.Where do Carrick United fit in there?I've nothing but admiration for Carrick Utd,but if you want to brag that ye are the best team in the county, do it on the Waterford thread. I've never seen such a claim on this thread by either a North Tipp or TSDL team

ponyobrien
13/07/2010, 6:14 PM
That's kinda my point. The competition doesn't involve Waterford teams

ponyobrien
13/07/2010, 6:15 PM
John Delaney Cup Launched

Now that the World Cup is over, teams in the Premier County are refocusing on the 2010-2011 season that will commence in August. While most will be organising preseason friendlies, the committees from North Tipperary & District League (NTDL) and the Tipperary Southern & District League (TSDL) got together to put a new competition in place.
Two Mile Borris/St. Kevin’s AFC grounds in Newhill Park hosted the launch last Monday night where both Leagues’ Officers and Committee members outlined the format of the competition to the representatives from the eight clubs that will be involved. It will see the top 4 teams from these two leagues battled it out to become the inaugural winners of the John Delaney Cup.
The draw for the Quarter-Finals which will be on a ‘Home’ and ‘Away’ basis is:
1. Cloughjordan AFC (NTDL) v Peake Villa (TSDL)
2. Nenagh Celtic (NTDL) v Clonmel Town (TSDL)
3. Clonmel Celtic (TSDL) v Nenagh AFC (NTDL)
4. St. Michael's AFC (TSDL) v Blackcastle United (NTDL)
(Away goals count ‘double’)
(1st Leg to be played on or before 28/07/2010) (2nd Leg to be played on or before 01/08/2010)
Semi-Finals (To be played on or before 05/08/2010)
3 v 2
4 v 1
(No extra-time; if level after 90 minutes straight to penalty shoot-out)
The Final is provisionally fixed for Saturday 7th August will have extra-time and penalties if required
Should it be a NTDL side facing a TSDL side the final will be played at Newhill Park, Two Mile Borris/St. Kevin's however, if it’s an all NTDL or TSDL affair the venue will arranged by the League.
A panel of 16 players registered for the new 2010/2011 season must be submitted before the first leg commences. All 5 Substitutes named on the Referee’s Card can play.
Like the Joe Delaney Cup, that has that brought the two leagues that have operated independently since 1977 together in 2006 for the very first time, has been an outstanding success for the Under 18 game in the county. Hopefully this competition will do likewise for the adult game.
This competition is named in honour of John Delaney, who will remain on as Chief Executive Officer of the Football Association of Ireland for another five years. Like his father Joe, the former Treasurer of the FAI, John too has played his part in developing the game of soccer in the Premier County with the high profile visits of the Irish Senior and Amateur squads.
John Delaney will be attending the Final to present the Cup and 16 specially designed trophies to the winners. He will be accompanied by Irish Amateur/Junior manager Gerry Smith giving those players with international aspirations the ideal opportunity to impress.

Poolman
13/07/2010, 6:46 PM

Now that the World Cup is over, teams in the Premier County are refocusing on the 2010-2011 season that will commence in August. While most will be organising preseason friendlies, the committees from North Tipperary & District League (NTDL) and the Tipperary Southern & District League (TSDL) got together to put a new competition in place.
Two Mile Borris/St. Kevin’s AFC grounds in Newhill Park hosted the launch last Monday night where both Leagues’ Officers and Committee members outlined the format of the competition to the representatives from the eight clubs that will be involved. It will see the top 4 teams from these two leagues battled it out to become the inaugural winners of the John Delaney Cup.
(1st Leg to be played on or before 28/07/2010) (2nd Leg to be played on or before 01/08/2010)
3 v 2
4 v 1
The Final is provisionally fixed for Saturday 7th August will have extra-time and penalties if required
Should it be a NTDL side facing a TSDL side the final will be played at Newhill Park, Two Mile Borris/St. Kevin's however, if it’s an all NTDL or TSDL affair the venue will arranged by the League.
A panel of 16 players registered for the new 2010/2011 season must be submitted before the first leg commences. All 5 Substitutes named on the Referee’s Card can play.
Like the Joe Delaney Cup, that has that brought the two leagues that have operated independently since 1977 together in 2006 for the very first time, has been an outstanding success for the Under 18 game in the county. Hopefully this competition will do likewise for the adult game.
This competition is named in honour of John Delaney, who will remain on as Chief Executive Officer of the Football Association of Ireland for another five years. Like his father Joe, the former Treasurer of the FAI, John too has played his part in developing the game of soccer in the Premier County with the high profile visits of the Irish Senior and Amateur squads.
John Delaney will be attending the Final to present the Cup and 16 specially designed trophies to the winners. He will be accompanied by Irish Amateur/Junior manager Gerry Smith giving those players with international aspirations the ideal opportunity to impress.

was this john delaneys idea?why the hell anybody would want to HONOUR him is a mystery.i understand he looks after tipperary teams but believe me the rest of the country would not have too much time for that man.BY THE WAY IS JAMES WALSH GONE TO A DUBLIN CLUB.

Insidetherock
14/07/2010, 8:15 AM

3 v 2
4 v 1

The competition is a good idea in theory.. but throws up a few problems in practice

Being pre-season, it interferes with plans teams may have already made, and the winners will have to play at least 4 games.. 2qf/sf/f ... which could be a pain in the backside for whoever

All the players have to be registered for the upcoming so it pushes players into making decisions earlier than maybe they want to.. though that may not be a bad thing

What would be the story with suspensions/sending off's etc, if any happened in the event.. would they carry over into the start of the new season ?

vanpersie
14/07/2010, 10:13 AM
Obviously, it is an fai affiliated competition isint it.but then again if it's a St michaels player it would be brushed under the carpet.

the 12 th man
14/07/2010, 3:36 PM
If you've nothing to add to this thread stay out of it,posts that are just trying to provoke will be deleted and suspensions dished out if required.

Last season is over lads-get over it.

There are a few posts in this thread already that will be reviewed if this continues.

Damo
15/07/2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, lads, it's time to move on from last year. Best of luck to all your clubs for the new season.

nononsense
19/07/2010, 10:23 AM
John Delaney has signed a new five year extension to his contract so he will be CEO for quite a while yet.

ponyobrien
25/07/2010, 6:26 PM
Nenagh AFC 1-0 Clonmel Celtic

Nenagh Celtic 1-3 Clonmel Town

Tipp Top
25/07/2010, 7:11 PM
Nenagh AFC 1-0 Clonmel Celtic

Nenagh Celtic 1-3 Clonmel Town

Any report on the game Pony? i saw on the town website ian barnes and barry ryan with 2 were the scorers,did jj butler play for town? any new players?

ponyobrien
26/07/2010, 5:20 PM
No I wasn't there

Mega Tots
26/07/2010, 6:36 PM
No I wasn't there

Bad result for Celtic,i heard they are supposed to be doing savage training

ponyobrien
28/07/2010, 1:57 PM
Bad result for Celtic,i heard they are supposed to be doing savage training

Not worried at all. Pre-season is for friendlies and for trying new tactics, so thats how this game was treated.

mr. man
28/07/2010, 8:25 PM
Cloughjordan 2 Peake Villa 1

ponyobrien
28/07/2010, 9:49 PM
Clonmel Celtic 2-1 Nenagh AFC

Nenagh through on away goals.

Benjy Riordan
29/07/2010, 2:53 PM
Anyone got the result from the St. Michaels v Blackcastle match ?

ComeOnTownNow
30/07/2010, 7:34 AM
butler gone back to rock, mikey comerford and ian cleary played for town (both signed) tonight in a friendly against waterford crystal, town won 4-1

mr. man
30/07/2010, 7:55 AM
Anyone got the result from the St. Michaels v Blackcastle match ?

You probably know already but it was St. Michael's AFC…5 Blackcastle United…0

Tipp Top
01/08/2010, 11:00 AM
Clonmel Town 2 Nenagh Celtic 1.....Ian Clery with 2

mr. man
01/08/2010, 4:55 PM
Peake Villa 0 Cloughjordan 0 ( 2nd Leg )

Cloughjordan win on agg 2 . 1

Big Ears
05/08/2010, 8:16 PM
Nenagh AFC 0-0 Clonmel Town-Nenagh win 4-3 on penalties.

Fairly even game overall, each side had spells of dominance throughout but Nenagh go through.