PDA

View Full Version : Excellent!

SkStu
08/07/2010, 6:37 PM
http://www.revleft.com/vb/extracts-sligo-rovers-t122113/index.html?s=695e9c9dd353ece19f2b702e6169bff4&

picked this link up from one of the posters on the Bohs board. Not sure if you guys have seen it or are aware of the book coming out but thought id share. Sounds class.

Heres a link to the thread on the Bohs board where some of our older posters have a few memories :D:
http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=268100#268100

showgies
08/07/2010, 7:25 PM
This has been doing the rounds in email version......I doubt it will ever see publication !!

red arrow
08/07/2010, 9:27 PM
there is talk of it being made into a film by scannan the irish film board and they want to use the showgies for one of the riots

bingoballs
08/07/2010, 9:41 PM
Its a shame there isn't some kind of stand built where the shed used to be. The Showgrounds are missing something without it.

Rasputin
09/07/2010, 10:49 AM
there is talk of it being made into a film by scannan the irish film board and they want to use the showgies for one of the riots
Is this a **** take?

avvenalaf
09/07/2010, 11:03 AM
God, Ras, you're a sharp as a Sheffield blade.

akearins
09/07/2010, 10:45 PM
No **** take, well before my time but have heard stories of the Sligo Boot Boys before and a lot of names mentioned here. Seen balaclava clad Dundalk fans get d **** kicked out of them in the shed as well as shams fans carrying claw hammers get beat around the shed by their own weapons, one shams shams fan turned the corner of the old shed faced the crowd and before he could get "sham........" bang had his nose broken with a slap.Should have known better
That was the late 80's early 90's

red arrow
09/07/2010, 11:07 PM
thanks be to god we are all pacifists now. the mood definately changed when donal sutherland road in on his tank in the film "kelly's heroes" and simply said peace man. all those boot boys were at the first showing of that film in the old gaiety cinema and they became very subdued and docile after that.if my memory serves me correctly avenalaf got very excited as it was the first time he had seem "popcorn"

Sean South
09/07/2010, 11:53 PM
Knives are meant for stabbing and guns and meant to shoot.
And when you come don to the Showgrounds, you're gonna get the boot.

Fivesilver
10/07/2010, 6:32 AM
I think I'm going to be overwhelmed by this warm, fuzzy feeling of pride over these heroic days and deeds.
Any chance of putting a lid on this pathetic thread? Or should I start one about the cat I saw getting splattered by a plumber's van yesterday?

red arrow
10/07/2010, 9:10 AM
i.m missing a cat meooooooow !

avvenalaf
10/07/2010, 11:17 AM
thanks be to god we are all pacifists now. the mood definately changed when donal sutherland road in on his tank in the film "kelly's heroes" and simply said peace man. all those boot boys were at the first showing of that film in the old gaiety cinema and they became very subdued and docile after that.if my memory serves me correctly avenalaf got very excited as it was the first time he had seem "popcorn"

Red Arrow, of your memory serves you, it's the only thing that does.

Knappagh Red
13/07/2010, 3:21 PM
http://www.revleft.com/vb/extracts-sligo-rovers-t122113/index.html?

picked this link up from one of the posters on the Bohs board. Not sure if you guys have seen it or are aware of the book coming out but thought id share. Sounds class.

]

It's not going to be a book for another 10 years, it's just a rough draft around 250 pages, he has to change all the names but felt Seamie O'Doyle doesn't convey enough inate savagery as the original so he's working on that

redobit
13/07/2010, 3:44 PM
My older first cousin was telling me some mad stories about scraps Rovers used to have years ago (early 80s). He said he can remember meeting fans from dublin clubs at the train station for a scrap, fighting inside the ground and then more scrapping in town after the game was over.

Remember meself back in the 90s playing Shams in the RDS, trouble outside the ground and one of the lads nearly geting knocked down by a double decker bus.

Fivesilver
14/07/2010, 7:38 AM
one of the lads nearly geting knocked down by a double decker bus.

The dangers of letting country lads loose in the Big Smoke . . .

avvenalaf
14/07/2010, 11:54 AM
Was it the top or the bottom deck that nearly knocked him?

redobit
15/07/2010, 8:31 AM
Everyones a Comedian!