PDA

View Full Version : Best Keeper in the LOI

Pages : [1] 2

Steve Bruce
07/07/2010, 3:48 PM
Who would you pick as your best keeper in the league?

passerrby
07/07/2010, 3:55 PM
gabrial sava having a bistering season

Riddickcule
07/07/2010, 3:55 PM
Alan Mannus

Steve Bruce
07/07/2010, 3:56 PM
gabrial sava having a bistering season

I've never heard of that fella, who's he play for & where's he from?

razor
07/07/2010, 4:00 PM
gabrial sava having a bistering seasonHad an absolute stormer against us in the smash and grab.

showgies
07/07/2010, 4:05 PM
It's between Mannus and Cherrie

danthesaint
07/07/2010, 4:13 PM
It's between Mannus and Cherrie

brush and cherrie

it would have been Dan Connor, if he stuck with pats, didnt really get a chance with rogers being on top form

SkStu
07/07/2010, 4:16 PM
since Brian Murphy left, there's been no genuine stand out performer but from what ive seen and read id agree with Cherrie with Mannus, Brush and Barry Murphy all around the same level just below. Unfortunately for Dundalk they also have the Leagues worst back-up keeper (in my experienced opinion! :) ).

Dunny
07/07/2010, 4:57 PM
Peter Cherrie

shep
07/07/2010, 4:58 PM
Cherrie is class...only brian murphy when with Bohs impressed me more.Mannus also right up there,not a big fan of Brush,think he is overrated

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/07/2010, 4:59 PM
Mannus just ahead of Cherrie

Martinho II
07/07/2010, 5:01 PM
i know Im biased but Aaron Shanahan is unreal for his shotstoppin.. for reference see a youtube clip of this season against Shels in tolka and you understand what I mean!

passerrby
07/07/2010, 5:03 PM
I've never heard of that fella, who's he play for & where's he from?

not to sure but think he had a spell with drogs (think hes from there) and played for lazio as a kid. still very young and is a great hit with the young supporters
has managed to keep us in some games this season when we should have been dead and gone

poster
07/07/2010, 5:25 PM
Chewwie imo is the best. A good bit out on his own, then I'd have Brush, then maybe Mannus.

PartySaint
07/07/2010, 5:41 PM
Mannus for me, Its just going on highlights from games but some of the saves he has made this season have been world class, I still dont understand why some Rovers fans are giving him a hard time

Dodge
07/07/2010, 6:01 PM
Mannus for me, Its just going on highlights from games but some of the saves he has made this season have been world class, I still dont understand why some Rovers fans are giving him a hard time

Because he makes awful awful mistakes to go with those great saves. He might be the best shot stopper but I honestly don't rate him as a keeper.

I'd go with Cherrie, then Brush. Special mention to to gary Rogers whop's been excellent for us this year

Agree that there's no stand outm like Murphy in previous years

Acornvilla
07/07/2010, 6:03 PM
if only Aaron could take a kick out he would be here

Dundalkjames
07/07/2010, 6:07 PM
Peter Cherrie

Paddyfield
07/07/2010, 6:17 PM
Your man who kept the most clean sheets is a top keeper. He plays for whatdoyacallthem? He's the best

passerrby
07/07/2010, 7:21 PM
Your man who kept the most clean sheets is a top keeper. He plays for whatdoyacallthem? He's the best

didnt think he was as good as whatshisname ya know him in goals for that lot

The Lep
07/07/2010, 7:44 PM
Mannus .

poster
07/07/2010, 9:38 PM
. Special mention to to gary Rogers whop's been excellent for us this year

Easily the most erratic and mistake prone keeper in the league but he's done ok at times for Pat's this year, and in the 4 or so games he played against us.

Agree with Dodge on Mannus to, he's very good but I think he's abit over-rated. Struggled with high balls last Friday night.

GGAJD
07/07/2010, 9:45 PM
Alan Mannus is the best in the league, his erratic form of last year has gone and although occasionally reluctant to leave his line for crosses, he more than makes up for that with his all round performances.
Cherrie next, don't rate brush much. The young lad who played for bray against the Hoops pulled off some excellent saves on the night.

Ezeikial
07/07/2010, 10:09 PM
Peter Cherrie's form since he arrived at Dundalk 12 months ago has been outstanding. There is no obvious weekness in his game and he is right up there with former Lilywhite keepers Alan O'Neill and Richie Blackmore.

I have not seen a better all-round keeper in the league

Longfordian
07/07/2010, 10:17 PM
Can only really comment on the First but Sava for Mons was very impressive and our own Aaron Shanahan has been superb of late too after a ropey start to the season.

outspoken
07/07/2010, 10:18 PM
i know Im biased but Aaron Shanahan is unreal for his shotstoppin.. for reference see a youtube clip of this season against Shels in tolka and you understand what I mean!

Have to agree tho im probably biased hes been class last 2 seasons and will defo play at a higher level

outspoken
07/07/2010, 10:20 PM
if only Aaron could take a kick out he would be here

His kicking seems to be his weakest point alright , this season especially, last season it wasnt really noticeable imo

De Town
07/07/2010, 10:26 PM
Haven't seen much premier football this season tbh, but Shanahan for us has to be one of the best shot stoppers in both divisions. His catching under a high ball, kicking and decision making are erratic at times, but for shot stopping ability he's right up there. If he could get the rest of his game together then he'd be playing in the premier division. Dean Delaney is class as well, although he helped us with our equaliser in Tolka a few weeks ago.

total hoofball
07/07/2010, 11:24 PM
Mannus, Cherrie and Ryan the best of a mediocre bunch

I used to rate Barry Murphy and Darren Quigley very highly in the top bracket a few years ago but not anymore, Murphy has gone backwards in the last year while Quigley has just turned into a disaster of a keeper

Ger Doherty and Dean Delaney would be my pick of the first division keepers, I haven't seen Sava in action yet so i'll try to keep an eye out for him

Dodge
08/07/2010, 7:07 AM
Agree with Dodge on Mannus to, he's very good b

For the record I don't think Mannus is very good, and didn't say that earlier

Dillonman
08/07/2010, 9:54 AM
Has to be Cherrie, not been biased but he has saved us so much this season with unbelievable saves.

superjohnny
08/07/2010, 10:44 AM
Going to say mannus and rogers (suprisingly it may be). Think Rogers has had a super season for pats and has been great before. Just ropey under kenna but showning his true value now. Pats fans would no more on this obviosuly.

Roo69
08/07/2010, 10:50 AM
For me, i think Manus form Rovers has been the best i've seen this season, closely followed by Cherrie at Dundalk.

I'd also give special mention to our own Brian Kane. The young lad was thrust into first team action and although he has made the odd error, he has been exceptional for us pulling off some really good saves. Give him a few seasons and he will be one of the Leagues top keepers

WoodquayBoy
08/07/2010, 11:11 AM
For me it is Cherrie, Brush and Mannus- Brush in ahead of Mannus as he always seems to play well against us. But maybe that is because we are usually cack up front

Guinney
08/07/2010, 11:38 AM
As a Dundalk fan its a little predictable I'm going to say Cherrie, but for me he is the best in the league since Brian Murphy left. After that Mannus comes seconf for me. I don't really rate Barry Murphy at all.

Flexy
08/07/2010, 12:17 PM
Mannus or Ger Doherty for me, Doherty has only conceded 8 goals in 17 league games must be doing something right

Dodge
08/07/2010, 12:37 PM
Doherty has only conceded 8 goals in 17 league games must be doing something right

Yep, he's playing in the bottom division

poster
08/07/2010, 12:39 PM
For the record I don't think Mannus is very good, and didn't say that earlier

If you think he's a great shot stopper then you must rate him?

Dodge
08/07/2010, 1:03 PM

Depends on how you definte rate him. He's OK, just not a great keeper IMO

Shot stopping is only one of the skills keepers need, and its the one that most of them have too. Can't think of anyone in this league who's a bad shot stopper in fairness

pineapple stu
08/07/2010, 1:04 PM
More to playing in nets than being a good shot stopper.

Acornvilla
08/07/2010, 1:07 PM
if it was just shot stopping i'd be playing professionally :)

OneRedArmy
08/07/2010, 1:14 PM

More to playing in nets than being a good shot stopper.What Stu said.

I can think of lots of great shots stoppers who I didn't rate as goalkeepers, as whenever they had to use their brain and take a decision (rather than an instinctive reaction) they were hopeless. Particularly evident on crosses, coming off their line one-on-one etc.

pauliek
08/07/2010, 2:20 PM
Brush or Doherty

Mannus is a differnt keeper since he moved to Shams, he was alot beter with Linfield

Acornvilla
08/07/2010, 4:03 PM
Brush or Doherty

Mannus is a differnt keeper since he moved to Shams, he was alot beter with Linfield

quality of opposition a lot worse?

Lim till i die
08/07/2010, 10:46 PM
Haven't seen much premier football this season tbh, but Shanahan for us has to be one of the best shot stoppers in both divisions. His catching under a high ball, kicking and decision making are erratic at times, but for shot stopping ability he's right up there. If he could get the rest of his game together then he'd be playing in the premier division. Dean Delaney is class as well, although he helped us with our equaliser in Tolka a few weeks ago.

Aaron Shanahan, decent shot stopper and genuinely nice guy that he is, is a bit dodgy and always has been in my humble opinion.

Best keeper in the First Division is between Delaney and our own Dave Ryan IMHO.

Longfordian
08/07/2010, 10:56 PM
He has flaws but to be honest he makes up for it with the quality of his shot stopping, particularly this season he's definitely saved us a lot more points than he's cost us. Agree though on Dave Ryan, very good whenever I've seen him. Delaney is very good too.

bullit
09/07/2010, 12:03 AM
When Greggs your back-up you defo realise how good Cherrie is.10/10 and come back please Peter the great

The Observer
09/07/2010, 8:32 AM
From the keepers i've seen in the premier division i'd rate the Shamrock keeper Mannus as the best of an average bunch, all keepers make mistakes but he seems strong in most disciplines & can pull off some excellent saves from out of the blue, he's also in my honest opinion playing behind a dodgy back 4 that leave him exposed badly quite regularly, more so than the keepers at the other top clubs from what i've seen anyway. The worst i've seen so far was the lad in goal for Galway the night they played St Patricks recently, thought he was very poor in his decision making & didnt look fit either. The rest dont stand out one way or the other, so to me theres nothing between them.

Dodge
09/07/2010, 8:41 AM
When Greggs your back-up you defo realise how good Cherrie is.10/10 and come back please Peter the great

Comparing him to Matt Gregg does him no favours at all bullit. At his peak, 4/5 years ago, Gregg was an average keeper

pineapple stu
09/07/2010, 8:55 AM
Is poor aul Matt Gregg only appreciated at UCD then?