PDA

View Full Version : Buttimer's comments in Galway

Dodge
07/07/2010, 2:22 PM
"I'll race you for your wages" while warming up beside Anto Flood.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned here.

I would love nothing more than to see this over officious clown be disciplined but does anyone think he will be (or should be)?

pineapple stu
07/07/2010, 2:27 PM
It's in the weekend latest thread I think.

Very silly at best if he did say it.

dong
07/07/2010, 2:29 PM
He should be sacked if he did say that. It's an outrageous comment for a Refereee to make. If a fan shouted it you might even say it was a bit low!
There's a certain other Ref who I would rather see get the bullet.:D
However I doubt if anything will be done. Sure they are all doing a great job.:rolleyes:

Flume
07/07/2010, 2:32 PM
Was definitely in poor taste. A bad week for officials, on the drogheda forum it says that the club have lodged an official complaint with the fai over the lino apparantly giving them the fingers.

bennocelt
07/07/2010, 3:00 PM
Shoot me down if ye want but i think people are overreacting. As MrA mentioned on another topic, and I agree - Galway should be concentrating on their own problems regarding form and lack of crowds.

pineapple stu
07/07/2010, 3:01 PM
It was on another topic though; kind of important, that. They're fully within their rights to complain about stuff like this as well.

Spudulika
07/07/2010, 3:02 PM
I'm sure Bisto would have laughed at it, he's a header himself and joker. Much ado about nothing!

Dodge
07/07/2010, 3:06 PM
I'm sure Bisto would have laughed at it, he's a header himself and joker. Much ado about nothing!

He's a whiging arsehole who complains about everything (teammates, refs, the crowd, everything...)

I'd imagine a bit of this is Connor trying to deflect from the brutal result but that doesn't mean Buttimer should be allowed get away with this sort of rubbish. The sme guy is a stickler for doing things correctly on and off the pitch (clashing shorts etc etc) so he should know better than to be joking about wages in Galway.

Leave that to opposition fans

SkStu
07/07/2010, 3:09 PM
what does "ill race you for your wages" even mean? How is that supposed to be funny? If i was Flood id have taken him up on his challenge the stupid, bendy geebag.

PartySaint
07/07/2010, 3:33 PM
So im the only one who laughed then??

Dodge
07/07/2010, 3:36 PM
So im the only one who laughed then??

No, It definitely amused me.

But any excuse to discipline Buttimer (and lessen the chances of having him ref pats games) should be exploited IMO

Olander
07/07/2010, 3:42 PM

No BISTO wasnt laughing

butt****er gave everything against him during the game. he did well to restrain himself. wait till you see on MNS,I have never seen a more blatant penalty. flood had a cut on his leg after it!!! No way was that scumbag going to give it though.

buttimer should be sacked. not just because hes an arrogant old tosspott, hes also a ****e ref. Worst in the league.

Also Brays first goal was offside, and we had a shot that looked like it was over the line that of course was not given. I guess MNS will reveal a lot.

Im not making excuses for our performance against bray. connor and many of our supporters have already said we were poor on the nite but the referee still robbed us.

BAD WEEK FOR REFS.

Lim till i die
07/07/2010, 3:48 PM
Buttimer is a tit but what he did is approxiamately six thousand percent less serious than what Galway United did.

I know who I'd be more upset with if I was Anto Flood like.

Lim till i die
07/07/2010, 3:49 PM
buttimer should be sacked. not just because hes an arrogant tosspott, hes also a ****e ref.

What punishment should Galway get for not paying their players??

Riddickcule
07/07/2010, 3:52 PM
Only a bit of banter

SkStu
07/07/2010, 4:08 PM
What punishment should Galway get for not paying their players??

I would say the same as any other club that has reached agreement with players over a wage deferral or wage cut. Nothing. Once the players agree, Galway are off the hook.

Lim till i die
07/07/2010, 4:21 PM
I would say the same as any other club that has reached agreement with players over a wage deferral or wage cut. Nothing. Once the players agree, Galway are off the hook.

My point of course being Galway are possibly slightly more at fault than Buttimer here.

Thank you for the injection of the blatantly obvious into the thread though. :yawns:

SkStu
07/07/2010, 4:31 PM
My point of course being Galway are possibly slightly more at fault than Buttimer here.

well your point wasnt very well made then.

And i dont agree with your opinion. How a negotiated/agreed wage deferral is 6000% more serious than inappropriate comments from someone who is supposed to be impartial and removed from everything except the game at hand. I'd like to see your calculations please. :)

sligo23
07/07/2010, 4:36 PM
Anthony Buttimer - LAD

bennocelt
07/07/2010, 4:38 PM
It was on another topic though; kind of important, that. They're fully within their rights to complain about stuff like this as well.

About the same thing:rolleyes:
Handy for them to use this all the same................never mind that they are near the bottom of the league with what looks like a decent team

Rasputin
07/07/2010, 4:39 PM
someone who is supposed to be impartial and removed from everything except the game at hand.:)
In a nutshell.

SkStu
07/07/2010, 4:40 PM
Anthony Buttimer - LAD

i think exile to Luanda International Airport (http://www.wordtravels.com/Airports/Angola/Luanda+International+Airport)is pushing it a bit...

poster
07/07/2010, 5:31 PM
:struggle:

Spudulika
07/07/2010, 9:03 PM
I know that smaller crowds have hit Galway, but surely not enough to have hit their entire wage structure/budget. Please correct me if I'm wrong here? It just seems that year in year out there are massive problems for the club and while I'd like to comment on the management, I'd rather talk about the lack of cop on of the Galway city public - GAA, Rugby and Football all suffer from the idiocy that is the county and city council. I like Galway, I like going to sporting events there, and I have massive respect for anyone involved in sport in the city, but surely there needs to be some local government assistance to keep the club on an even keel - they've done their utmost to kill Connacht Rugby - shouldn't the public revolt?

And on topic, Buttimer is a poor ref and should be dropped from the panel!

John83
07/07/2010, 9:16 PM
Spudulika, you might find this thread (http://foot.ie/threads/137549-Galway-in-financial-turmoil) interesting.

Spudulika
07/07/2010, 9:38 PM
Spudulika, you might find this thread (http://foot.ie/threads/137549-Galway-in-financial-turmoil) interesting.

Thanks John, I remember seeing the start of this thread and then just not following it. I wonder if a North American style plan might effectively be used in the LOI - I know we've all discussed this type of stuff before, however it would clean up the business model a bit. Back in 2000 I asked the gentleman ousting the McGuills from Dundalk why the Co-op were doing this - he said to "clean house". At the time it was explained to me that this had to be done in order to attract investment. I'm still wondering if it worked or if football in Ireland just entails a steady line of suckers.

WoodquayBoy
08/07/2010, 2:30 PM
About the same thing:rolleyes:
Handy for them to use this all the same................never mind that they are near the bottom of the league with what looks like a decent team

Not using this for anything, apart from maybe getting Buttimer sanctioned, which every club should thanks us for.
As for us having a good team, that is just not true. IMO we have good players - Sheppard, Flood, O'Donnell, Conneely - but good players don't necessarily fuse to make a good team. The fact we are third from bottom suggests we do not have a good team, no matter how many moans are made about dropping points late on to the likes of Bohs and Fingal. Good teams don't do that.

pauliek
08/07/2010, 2:44 PM
Its a real shame those Derry fans who ran onto the pitch and tryed to get at Buttimer last season didnt give him a good beating. Ive never seen anything like his preformance in the Derry v Bohs cup final, he should be taught a lesson that you cant mess with people like he does

dong
08/07/2010, 2:59 PM
Its a real shame those Derry fans who ran onto the pitch and tryed to get at Buttimer last season didnt give him a good beating. Ive never seen anything like his preformance in the Derry v Bohs cup final, he should be taught a lesson that you cant mess with people like he does

Are you for real? He deserves a "good beating" because he's a sh1t Ref or annoyed some fans with poor decisions??
I'll leave that kind of stuff to the GAA thanks very much.

pauliek
08/07/2010, 3:11 PM
Are you for real? He deserves a "good beating" because he's a sh1t Ref or annoyed some fans with poor decisions??
I'll leave that kind of stuff to the GAA thanks very much.
The cup final last season was the worst day of my life, if the ref ****ed us over every 5mins like Buttimer did to Derry I would be uncontrollably angry. He should not be allowed to mess with peoples emotions like that

Sean South
08/07/2010, 6:32 PM
Whilst I can’t stand Buttimer and I think he is a little Hitler cnut who loves to be the centre of attention, these comments he made are hardly worth the headlines it has created. I’d consider this comment stupid but it’s nothing really compared to some of the stuff which is said weekly in any LOI dressing rooms or tunnels. If Galway were so offended by them all they had to do was report it to the FAI in private and the matter would be dealt with.

But you have to ask yourself why Galway have made such a big deal about this throw away remark. Connor and Lesson are both experts when it comes to manipulating the media and both want take the media attention away from their own problems. Connor’s been the fact this team are under achieved and they failed to beat a very poor Bray side during the week and Lesson’s been Galway United’s dire financial problems, with players not been paid in three weeks making the entire squad free agents according to the PFAI, the fact that attendances have dropped over 60% in two years even though the product has remained the same (i.e. Galway in the Premier League) because the club has alienated themselves from the Galway public. How every year we keep hearing from the Galway board the club is on its knees.

These are the things Galway supporters should be questioning and not jumping on board the ALWAYS OFFENDED bus with a whiter then white holier then thou attitude after all the little Hitler is still human.

WoodquayBoy
08/07/2010, 8:50 PM
Re Sean South - United didn't make a big deal of it IMO, there was a rumour doinjg the rounds at the game that Buttimer said something, local media guys approached Flood and Connor who confirmed the alleged comments. United didn't come out and say they had lodged a complaint as far as I know, it was the media who reported it. As I said befoire, we have good players, but they ain't turning into a good team. The squad are not free agents as they agreed to a pay deferral. I do, though, totally agree with what you say about alienating the junior teams, and as a knock-on, the public. As for attendances being down, it seems to be a Galway thing, not a Galway nited thing - only about 1,000 Galway fans travelled to Sligo for the GAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh replay last weekend, the hurlers played in front of crowds of less than 3,000 during the hurling league, Connacht rugby have a much better media operation but still only attract around 1,300 to home games. Everyone's crowds are down, it is just Galway were already operating from a low base, and have no assets such as theior own ground to bring in revenue, unlike, say, Bray

poster
08/07/2010, 9:17 PM
Connor who confirmed the alleged comments.

I think Connor is probably the only manager in the league who would have brought it up, others would have kept it quiet or laughed it off. If it wasn't a Sean Connor team it would have gone un-noticed. I'm sure this type of thing happens every LoI game between refs/players and players.

TonyD
08/07/2010, 9:34 PM
From a supporter, or even another player, this could be passed off as harmless banter, but as Skstu said earlier, refs are supposed to be impartial and shouldn't be making any kind of remarks like this to players. Buttimer should be disciplined, absolutely.

WoodquayBoy
08/07/2010, 9:57 PM
Buttimer has form for rubbing people up the wrong way with his previous kit clash concerns. Whether or not every other mnager would have quiet about it doesn't make it right.

marinobohs
09/07/2010, 1:04 PM
From a supporter, or even another player, this could be passed off as harmless banter, but as Skstu said earlier, refs are supposed to be impartial and shouldn't be making any kind of remarks like this to players. Buttimer should be disciplined, absolutely.

Without justifying stupidity I can think of a lot worse things Buttimer has done in LOI than make a silly comment ! The fact remains that the situation (Galway wages issue) should not be arising inthe first place. If only the FAI would bring in a licencing system to eradicate such things.............:p

sundance kid
09/07/2010, 2:04 PM
if buttimer wants to race a footballer for his unpaid wages let him race messi

Buile Shuibhne
09/07/2010, 2:10 PM
Buttimer is doing the Drogs Vs Bohs match tonight.

I'm sure he'll get plenty of race offers there

WoodquayBoy
12/07/2010, 11:13 AM
I actually wish Flood took him up on the challenge. It wopuld have (A) doubled Flood's wages and slienced Buttimer or (B) shown Bisto needs to spend less time on the gravy and more time on training!

bluewhitearmy
12/07/2010, 11:20 AM
I actually wish Flood took him up on the challenge. It wopuld have (A) doubled Flood's wages and slienced Buttimer or (B) shown Bisto needs to spend less time on the gravy and more time on training!

Whats double nothing?

WoodquayBoy
12/07/2010, 10:08 PM
You know well what I mean . . . is everyone a comedian these days?

John83
12/07/2010, 10:14 PM
You know well what I mean . . . is everyone a comedian these days?
Yeah, but most people aren't all that funny.

Doomofman
14/07/2010, 7:43 PM
I notice Buttimer isn't reffing a game this week

poster
14/07/2010, 9:18 PM
I notice Buttimer isn't reffing a game this week

Well deserved break