PDA

View Full Version : Shels player faces deportation

Hitman
06/07/2010, 9:18 PM
I can't say I've ever heard of him, but it's a tad more serious than the usual registration problems in the league.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/06/ireland-asylum-seeker-footballer-deportation

John83
06/07/2010, 10:15 PM
That photographer deserves a medal. Where'd he find a camera which can take a picture of the 1950s?

The Lep
06/07/2010, 10:36 PM
Why the Guardian? Why the article as he was facing deportation anyway?

Charlie Darwin
07/07/2010, 1:57 AM
This doesn't seem to have been picked up by any of the Irish papers. It seems a little strange that his family can be living here legally having fled a country, he has a part-time job he can't legally be paid for, and yet he's not considered worthy of asylum. Hopefully he can appeal successfully.

Also I had no idea Mosney was an asylum centre now.

OneRedArmy
07/07/2010, 8:00 AM
Same old Shels, always cheating........

:)

harps1954
07/07/2010, 8:33 AM

And it has been for quite a number of years now - must be close on a decade at this stage.

OneForTheFuture
07/07/2010, 8:43 AM
Same old Shels, always cheating........

:)

Is that the best you could manage? ;)

Title is a bit misleading by the way with the plural being used....as if half the team were secretly Albanians who came into Ireland illegally :laugh:

Spudulika
07/07/2010, 8:44 AM

It's been since the mid/early-90's. It was quite funnily renamed "Mosnia" on the train station sign. The owners upgraded the place, then seeing the way business was going gave it over on a 10-15 year lease to the state and made a fortune.

I'm trying to remember what the exact number is, but on Morning Ireland last week it was mentioned that a dozen "asylum seekers" are removed from the country each week. I don't know if this is very low or too high.

Hitman
07/07/2010, 9:12 AM
Title is a bit misleading by the way with the plural being used....as if half the team were secretly Albanians who came into Ireland illegally :laugh:

Apologies, my keyboard trying to stitch me up, I can't edit it either.

pineapple stu
07/07/2010, 9:42 AM
Fixed that now.

osarusan
07/07/2010, 9:52 AM
It says that his bid for asylum has failed in the headline, but doesn't mention that again in the article as far as I can see - it just mentions him being moved to a different part of Leinster, although he does mention vaguely that he's 'in the last phase'.

Ridiculous photo with it btw.

White Horse
07/07/2010, 9:53 AM
I got out of Zimbabwe through South Africa but I left my passport behind.

Why not seek asylum in South Africa? Why come all the way to Ireland? Seems an open and shut case.

Jicked
07/07/2010, 10:19 AM
Why say it's open and shut when it's two years since Zimbabwean immigrants were being burnt alive in South Africa?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/19/southafrica1

Dodge
07/07/2010, 11:06 AM
Why not seek asylum in South Africa? Why come all the way to Ireland? Seems an open and shut case.

There's never open and shut cases, and no one here knows anything about the case so there's no point in talking about it. I'm sure it has been dealt with in the proper channels, and will continue to be.

sundance kid
07/07/2010, 11:18 AM
Would it be possible for a foreign player to play for a club without a work permit? And is there any guidelines to possible punishments if this was to happen?

The Lep
07/07/2010, 12:59 PM
Its a non story and maybe why the Irish press hasnt picked it up. They are being moved to Dublin 2 and seeing they havent been granted asylum yet, the immigration crowd could stick them on Lambay island if they wanted to as they have no say in the matter. Its stupid that they dont just stick them on the bus protest or not and move them where they want to. They are not legally entitled to stay in the country indefinate and are giving a small cash amount plus their meals which im sure a few homeless people in Ireland would be grateful for.

Does he really play for shells? Would the move save him a few quid going to training? Is he allowed to play for shells ?

Munster Saint
08/07/2010, 2:53 PM
Reminds me a bit of the Al Bangoura case a few years ago in England;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/watford/7111120.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/watford/7179542.stm

From what I can gather he's a fairly recent signing for Shels, he was with Drogs A team last season. Chances are well see a bit more coverage in the not too distant future, over on the Shels forum they were saying he's been interviewed by TV3 today.

Buile Shuibhne
08/07/2010, 4:01 PM
He only signed for Shels A League team last week, from the Drogheda A League team - hasn't played for Shels yet.

He was interviewd by TV3 today and will be on their news prog this afternoon/evening

The Lep
08/07/2010, 4:24 PM
Is he allowed to play considering his status ? And why is he complaining about the move when it would be closer for training for him .

Shells signing illegal immigrants ( Hasnt been granted the right to live in the country yet ), :)

The Lep
08/07/2010, 4:26 PM
He only signed for Shels A League team last week, from the Drogheda A League team - hasn't played for Shels yet.

He was interviewd by TV3 today and will be on their news prog this afternoon/evening

WHY??

Dodge
08/07/2010, 4:31 PM
He's an amateur

Riddickcule
08/07/2010, 4:34 PM
Suprised to see Ireland turns down around 97% of asylum seekers, thats sickening.

Dodge
08/07/2010, 4:40 PM
Suprised to see Ireland turns down around 97% of asylum seekers, thats sickening.

Why? If 97% aren't genuine then its spot on

passerrby
08/07/2010, 5:18 PM
its an absolute disgrace after all the lads been through ..i mean moving him to dublin 2 it would have been kinder to move him to say iraq