PDA

View Full Version : Lowest league crowd of the season

London-Irish
06/07/2010, 1:47 PM
I am reliably informed that Salthill Devon had a recent home league attendance of 58. How can they survive on gates like that?

Dodge
06/07/2010, 1:48 PM
I am reliably informed that Salthill Devon had a recent home league attendance of 58. How can they survive on gates like that?

Good budgetting and lots of hard work by volunteers

Lim till i die
06/07/2010, 1:48 PM
I've seen worse.

I'd even doubt that was the worst this year.

Duggie
06/07/2010, 2:39 PM
must be paying the players with sweets, mars, twix's, crunchies etc etc.....

Dodge
06/07/2010, 2:48 PM
must be paying the players with sweets, mars, twix's, crunchies etc etc.....

They're all amateur.

Duggie
06/07/2010, 2:59 PM
They're all amateur.

wasnt wrong so..

Lim till i die
06/07/2010, 4:26 PM
A Squad of Amateurs is still going to cost you around a grand a week in fairness before you add in travel costs, manager, coaches, physio, blah, blah, blah.

Need someone with a few quid backing you basically.

Rasputin
06/07/2010, 4:34 PM
And people say Salthill and Mervue are hurting Galways crowds?

Mr A
06/07/2010, 4:38 PM
I don't think anyone says that- any GUFC fans I've seen comment on the issue have said otherwise.

In Salthill's case- they have a massive facility and their astro pitches make them a fortune. They can probably afford the LOI better than most. But is it really doing anything for them as a club is the question.

Rasputin
06/07/2010, 4:53 PM
I don't think anyone says that- any GUFC fans I've seen comment on the issue have said otherwise.
I didnt say Galway fans were saying it but other commentators seem to use it as a reason.
The young lad on MNS (is it Prunty?) last night used it as a reason for Galways woefull crowds which is slightly bizarre.

Mark
06/07/2010, 7:59 PM
I remember reporting on a Dublin City v UCD game when both were in the Premier. It was a home game for Dublin City played in Dalymount. There were 41 people in the Jodi (the other 3 sides were closed). This number included several players who were out injured watching the game, Stuart Malcolm was one, as well as a few girls who sold programmes and raffle tickets.

John83
06/07/2010, 8:10 PM
I remember reporting on a Dublin City v UCD game when both were in the Premier. It was a home game for Dublin City played in Dalymount. There were 41 people in the Jodi (the other 3 sides were closed). This number included several players who were out injured watching the game, Stuart Malcolm was one, as well as a few girls who sold programmes and raffle tickets.
I was at that game. I remember the row over the crowd here afterwards. Pineapple Stu (I think) found a photograph of the stand which showed more than twice that number of people. It seems silly to argue over such small numbers, but if we're going to have a contest for smallest crowd, that wasn't it.

Mark
06/07/2010, 8:19 PM
I remember all the comments here at the time. I never used the figure in my reports of that game. Anyway we should be thinking of ways to attract more new fans and not arguing over what the lowest was. :)