PDA

View Full Version : Dunne gets 1 year extension.

razor
05/07/2010, 10:48 PM
I’m delighted on behalf of the Board of Management to announce that Tommy Dunne has agreed to a one year extension of his current contract. At the start of the season we asked Tommy to come on board and help to build a team in nine days. He undertook that challenge with great enthusiasm and put together a squad which is still pushing for promotion and competing in the FAI Cup.

We have made significant strides in the last few months as we continue to build a stable club off the pitch whose foundations are based on volunteers, the community and a strong underage structure. Tommy shares all our ambitions and we have every belief that he is the man to return Cork City FC to Premier Division football.

Yours Sincerely,
John O'Sullivan
Chairman

I think i'm going to cry.:(

pineapple stu
06/07/2010, 9:31 AM
That's a bit of a surprise!

A face
06/07/2010, 12:03 PM
I dunno, he got a team together with 9 days before the start of the season and none of the youths available because of the liquidator etc. and he could only play with what he has got. He has brought players in, half of could do a job for us and te window is not closed yet.

Its a tough one, i dunno can we really blame the manager fully ... i mean Davin O'Neill is a disaster over the last few games and thats not Dunnes fault. I can see why people would be up in arms over this but we are where we are .... there is no quick fix to this one.

razor
06/07/2010, 1:26 PM
Its a tough one, i dunno can we really blame the manager fully ... i mean Davin O'Neill is a disaster over the last few games and thats not Dunnes fault. I can see why people would be up in arms over this but we are where we are .... there is no quick fix to this one.Davin has been awful for months now and is slowly getting worse, I'd certainly blame the manager for his failure to see this and act accordingly.
Its like playing with 10 men or even less depending on some others.

Lim till i die
06/07/2010, 1:47 PM
In fairness, Cork had no divine right to be challenging for Promotion this year, especially with Limerick and Waterford both fairly strong off the pitch for the first time in ages and ages.

It's a tough enough Division, Derry are flying because they've thrown a lot of money at it, money that ye clearly don't appear to have.

See how he does with a budget and a pre season next year. If ye can get the Cork lads in from Waterford (which I assume would be the plan) then ye'll be strong

pineapple stu
06/07/2010, 3:35 PM
In fairness, Cork had no divine right to be challenging for Promotion this year
That's true alright. But - and obviously I'm basing this on hearsay and internet chat - they don't seem to be playing particularly well, too defensive; they're bottom half and their results seem to be getting worse (no win in five league games now, and you can add a hammering by Limerick in the League Cup and a narrow replay win over an out-of-season Bluebell in the FAI Cup in the same time). I suppose I'm biased because I've seen UCD relegated twice and twice breeze through the division, but then we had a structure in place. By contrast, Shels' first First Division season - in similar circumstances - saw then on 13 points after 16 games, or ten behind Cork at the moment. Maybe it's easy to be harsh.

A face
06/07/2010, 3:49 PM
In fairness, Cork had no divine right

Au contraire ... we actually do !! ;)

razor
06/07/2010, 9:53 PM
In fairness, Cork had no divine right to be challenging for Promotion this year
Who said anything about challenging for promotion?
I only want us to play some decent ball and win a few matches.
Tommy 4-5-Dunne has been persisting with his preferred formation home and away no matter what the opposition.
Certain players have been very ver poor, performances have been terrible, all I want is an improvement.

Its also a disgrace to see the Man of the Match text vote has been done away with at Turners Cross.
A right kick in the balls for democracy.

yiddo
07/07/2010, 9:17 AM
Its also a disgrace to see the Man of the Match text vote has been done away with at Turners Cross.

+1 a sad day for all City supporters!

imagine if Arkaga or TNB had pulled this stunt? :D;)

Lim till i die
07/07/2010, 3:56 PM
Who said anything about challenging for promotion?
I only want us to play some decent ball and win a few matches.
Tommy 4-5-Dunne has been persisting with his preferred formation home and away no matter what the opposition.
Certain players have been very ver poor, performances have been terrible, all I want is an improvement.

Have you the players to play lovely, free flowing, football?? Probably not.
You lost at home to who? Monaghan, Waterford and Limerick. That's probably your level in fairness.

Did the manager really get voting for MoTM done away with?? :D

razor
07/07/2010, 4:05 PM
Have you the players to play lovely, free flowing, football?? Probably not.
You lost at home to who? Monaghan, Waterford and Limerick. That's probably your level in fairness.We have a squad of 29, I think we do have the quality to play better football than we've been doing.

Did the manager really get voting for MoTM done away with?? :D I'm not sure who got it "done away with" but i do believe he was less than pleased with the text vote afterthe Blubell debacle.

Lim till i die
07/07/2010, 4:11 PM
We have a squad of 29, I think we do have the quality to play better football than we've been doing.

We have a squad of 53, but that doesn't mean they're all up to it.

Shels in their first year down were HORRIFIC, I just don't see how ye can expect Cork to be that much better.

Who do you consider the quality attacking players?

yiddo
07/07/2010, 5:07 PM
I'm not sure who got it "done away with" but i do believe he was less than pleased with the text vote afterthe Blubell debacle.

I heard that he wasn't too happy alright. A pity he couldn't accept the verdict of those fans who spent their hard earned cash voting! :D

razor
07/07/2010, 9:36 PM
We have a squad of 53, but that doesn't mean they're all up to it.
In our first two games I thought Robbie Kelleher was your best player and ye let him go.

Shels in their first year down were HORRIFIC, I just don't see how ye can expect Cork to be that much better.

Who do you consider the quality attacking players?There are some players we know are up to First Division football and they're not performing of late, stand up Davin O'Neill and Cillian Lordan.
Cummins is quality, maybe first division quality but thats where we are, Varian looked lively for the 15 minutes he came on against ye and provided more threat than anyone up til then.
Mark O'Sullivan is an amateur international and is a super player but like Varian he'll have to be given time.
Of course if Tommy persists with his 4-5-1 then i'm not sure these lads will get a fair crack.

skinny11
08/07/2010, 7:05 PM
ill be honest lads 3/4 of that city team would struggle to hold down a munster senior league spot to be fairness, turner poor has pace and nice touch just cant defend muld and greg sorry lads just aint good enough as for lordan and morrisey im sorry bout how were they cross channel i would go ojn but dont have the time as for the youths coming through they had a fairly cushy ride all the way through youths playing some very poor teams and winning whats now considered a easy league . city needs to like of seamus long waterford commitrd big strong players with experience , sure georgie be back now soon for his usual 3 week stint and then off to tour ireland for a few more clubs

Lim till i die
08/07/2010, 10:30 PM
In our first two games I thought Robbie Kelleher was your best player and ye let him go.

Asked for a release himself on account of work AFAIK. Also with Shane Clarke back from injury, John Tierney tearing up the Division and O'Flynn signed maybe he thought he wouldn't get a fair crack.

The man is TALENTED though in fairness.