PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic minority internationals

culloty82
04/07/2010, 7:08 PM
The World Cup winning French side had a multiracial line-up, while the current German side has players of Polish, Turkish, Tunisian etc. descent, which leads to the obvious question: in many years can expect the first player of Polish, Nigerian origin to don the green jersey? It's something that first crossed my mind on seeing the crowd at the Ireland-Poland international, and a glance at any junior league side will highlight the range of nationalities involved in the game here already, when soccer will always be the first choice game for new arrivals.

Stuttgart88
04/07/2010, 9:28 PM
I'd be perfectly happy for this to happen, if nothing else to endorse Ireland's entry into the real world, but also because we're relatively unique in Europe in that football has so much competition from other field sports.

Crosby87
04/07/2010, 10:23 PM
Hopefully the player is talented and it happens soon. People here are saying look how well the Dutch are doing with only 16 Million people in the country. Only 16 million, haha.

Junior
05/07/2010, 8:54 AM
Hopefully the player is talented and it happens soon. People here are saying look how well the Dutch are doing with only 16 Million people in the country. Only 16 million, haha.

Wouldnt Uruguay have been the better example, with only 3.5 million? (a bit closer to home for you boys as well!)

Sullivinho
05/07/2010, 3:47 PM
I too would be very happy to see this happen. Imagine, our very own Ozil or...Zidane ;) With enthusiasm we welcome English-born players of Irish heritage who may never have spent any considerable time (if any at all) in the country so certainly, someone born and bred here should be greeted with open arms. I have a Russian friend whose 7/8 year old son was born here and the lad runs around in Cork/Ireland jerseys. His dad actively encourages it. It actually made me wonder about James McCarthy. In comparison, it would be his grandfather in the role of my wandering Russian friend. That's quite a testament to Irish identity and how it weathers the transition from one land and generation to another. Of course it also occurs to me that the concept of identity is something that will only occur to someone at a certain stage of maturity, Shane Duffy being an example. Plus Irish heritage is actively and proudly preserved (as is the way) whereas this young fella's dad openly makes the distinction that he is Russian and his son is Irish. I have no idea how unique or otherwise that particular attitude is.

Speaking of McCarthy, of equal intrigue in this discussion is the prospect of an Irish-born wonderkid of foreign descent choosing to play for the country of that descent. How would we handle that? If the kid was playing domestically, would we hear some 'dissent' from the stands? How would forums such as this react?

ped_ped
05/07/2010, 5:13 PM
Well if some top-class Irish-born League of Ireland player springs up and makes waves on the international scene surely that would be the eye-opener the FAI needs about looking domestically for Irish internationals? As it stands, Powell deserves at least a place on the squad with left-back a clear weakness, and nobody can tell me that the Kevin Doyle that played for Cork City was THAT different to he who was called up to the international team so soon after he became a 'real' player (moved to England).

culloty82
05/07/2010, 5:24 PM
i'd imagine it'll probably take 10-15 years for players to come through underage systems and scouting networks before the issue really comes to the fore, and you say, the first few generations may well decide to play for their parents' country, but eventually we will reap the rewards of an increased talent pool. Interestingly, tralee Dynamos have a new player this year called Uros Ivkovic, who has been called up for ireland at underage level, so assuming other clubs around the country have similar stories, even my guess above might be out.

ArdeeBhoy
05/07/2010, 9:32 PM
Excuse, WTF did Chris Hughton, Paul McGrath, Terry Phelan, Phil Babb, Clinton Morrison and Caleb Folan come from?? It was no 'banana boat', FFS.
Or do they not count??

ArdeeBhoy
05/07/2010, 9:36 PM
Speaking of McCarthy, of equal intrigue in this discussion is the prospect of an Irish-born wonderkid of foreign descent choosing to play for the country of that descent. How would we handle that? If the kid was playing domestically, would we hear some 'dissent' from the stands? How would forums such as this react?
It depends on circumstances. We've had plenty, if they choose to play for Poland or Lithuania or whoever, fair play to them. Often it's down to the assimilation/integration encouraged by the parents or the treatment of the indigenous population, which often drives this.

SkStu
05/07/2010, 9:50 PM
Excuse, WTF did Chris Hughton, Paul McGrath, Terry Phelan, Phil Babb, Clinton Morrison and Caleb Folan come from?? It was no 'banana boat', FFS.
Or do they not count??

ill give you McGrath (and thats being generous) but none of the rest spent their early lives in Ireland. They were "poached" from England. I think your missing the point a bit.

ArdeeBhoy
05/07/2010, 11:17 PM
Except the original point was, er, about people with non-Irish heritage playing for Ireland.
It doesn't really matter where they were raised, but the fact they were all Irish citizens with Afro-Caribbean blood who played for their country.
And why is 'giving McGrath', being 'generous' ??

And if any others come through from the island of Ireland, it'll be 5-10 years max.

theworm2345
06/07/2010, 1:05 AM
The World Cup winning French side had a multiracial line-up, while the current German side has players of Polish, Turkish, Tunisian etc. descent, which leads to the obvious question: in many years can expect the first player of Polish, Nigerian origin to don the green jersey? It's something that first crossed my mind on seeing the crowd at the Ireland-Poland international, and a glance at any junior league side will highlight the range of nationalities involved in the game here already, when soccer will always be the first choice game for new arrivals.
Paul McGrath's father was Nigeria IIRC

SilkCut
06/07/2010, 1:36 AM

Was wondering the exact same thing. He Played for St. Pat's and was brought up in Dublin and his mum was Irish, does the fact that he was born in London (a common event with single mums back then) really make him not Irish?????

tricky_colour
06/07/2010, 1:43 AM
With increased international travel and mobility all countries will tend to become more diverse in their ethnic make up.
If every country were to strive for an 'ethnically' pure squad millions of great players would be eligible to play for nobody.

After all none of you can claim to originate form Ireland because there were no known settlements before about 8000 years
ago.
Most originate from either northern Europe (vikings etc) , or Souther Europe (Spain, North Africa) and the middle east.
All over the place basically.
So I don't think people should get too hung up about it!
You would have to go a long way back to find a link between Damien Duff and Andy Reid for example.

Stuttgart88
06/07/2010, 8:13 AM
I think Stu's point was in keeping with the original post on the thread: wouldn't it be great if the kids of non-Irish immigrants raised here go on to play for Ireland, rather than the country of their heritage? Obviously it'd be ironic given that we have had many examples in the past of the kids of Irish immigrants, mainly in the UK, who have played for the country of their heritage rather than their birth / upbringing.

Dodge
06/07/2010, 9:16 AM
As it stands, Powell deserves at least a place on the squad with left-back a clear weakness
Powell couldn't get a game for Bohs earlier in the year. a bit premature to be saying he's international class.

Don't care about anybody's heritage myself. If they feel Irish and are proud to represent their country, great. Much prefer them to people of Irish heritage looking to use Ireland as a professional tool or "settling" for Ireland when their dream England job doesn't materialise

SkStu
06/07/2010, 3:53 PM
Except the original point was, er, about people with non-Irish heritage playing for Ireland.
It doesn't really matter where they were raised, but the fact they were all Irish citizens with Afro-Caribbean blood who played for their country.

And if any others come through from the island of Ireland, it'll be 5-10 years max.

no i dont agree that that was the original point. In my opinion the point was regarding children of immigrants choosing to play for the country they had migrated to or had been born and raised in after their parents landed. The list you gave are of children of immigrants choosing to play for the country that one of their parents (or grand-parents) had left.

The reason i say McGrath is generous is that his Nigerian father left before he was even born and, as such, playing for Nigeria would likely not even have been a consideration of his.

Is the issue here not one of immigrants to Ireland choosing to play for us ahead of their country of origin and as such increasing the talent pool? Like the example of Germany in the opening post?

culloty82
06/07/2010, 5:06 PM
As Stu said, I'd include Phelan, Morrison, Babb alongside Cascarino, Aldridge etc, in that their Afro-Caribbean heritage is from the English rather than the Irish side of their background, I know it sounds like splitting hairs and I'd only be bothered about how talented a player would be, but my OP was more about the grass-roots in Ireland than anything else.

Charlie Darwin
06/07/2010, 10:42 PM
Stephen Kelly's mother is north African, if I remember correctly.

Predator
07/07/2010, 12:17 AM
It certainly would be interesting if we had a few Irish internationals, like German internationals Lukas Podolski or Miroslav Klose; players who were born in a different country and whose parents were not Irish, but who had moved to Ireland at a young age and gained nationality.

Charlie Darwin
07/07/2010, 1:35 AM
Podolski and Klose are slightly different - their German identity is the result of a border issue not unlike the one we have with the North.

Interestingly both of their mothers were internationals for Poland in handball.

seanfhear
07/07/2010, 6:24 AM
Podolski and Klose are slightly different - their German identity is the result of a border issue not unlike the one we have with the North.

Interestingly both of their mothers were internationals for Poland in handball.Could young Irish men start dating Polish international female hand ballers please ! !

It would be nice if we could get some Protestant footballers from Northern Ireland (would they be an ethnic minority on the whole Island) to play for us

All are welcome, come and strut your stuff at the new Landsdowne road.

bennocelt
07/07/2010, 12:28 PM
Could young Irish men start dating Polish international female hand ballers please ! !

It would be nice if we could get some Protestant footballers from Northern Ireland (would they be an ethnic minority on the whole Island) to play for us

All are welcome, come and strut your stuff at the new Landsdowne road.

Alan Kernaghan, or am I wrong?

seanfhear
07/07/2010, 3:15 PM
Alan Kernaghan, or am I wrong?
I believe you are correct but we could do with more.

irishfan86
07/07/2010, 9:34 PM
Lads, start sleeping with northern protestants immediately. Only one way to make one team in Ireland....

Crosby87
08/07/2010, 10:35 PM
Dr Peepee needs to create a love potion.

mark12345
08/07/2010, 10:46 PM
I was born in a test tube and me mother ran off with a bottle of nose drops. Do I qualify?

Supreme feet
09/07/2010, 7:09 AM
Lads, start sleeping with northern protestants immediately. Only one way to make one team in Ireland....

I've attempted this before. Unfortunately, I've often been faced with the age-old truism; 'Ulster Says No'.

ArdeeBhoy
09/07/2010, 11:51 PM
Surely you mean 6 Counties? And around 52% thereof.

;)

irishultra
14/07/2010, 1:35 PM
It certainly would be interesting if we had a few Irish internationals, like German internationals Lukas Podolski or Miroslav Klose; players who were born in a different country and whose parents were not Irish, but who had moved to Ireland at a young age and gained nationality.

we do darren gibson and shane duffy. klose is like an ethnic german and his dad considers him to not be polish or german but the ethnic group he belongs to and european