PDA

View Full Version : How Middle America is coming to soccer ball

A face
27/06/2010, 8:22 PM
How Middle America is coming to soccer ball

ROUND OF 16: USA REACTION: ‘USA!” the Tony-nominated New York actor Danny Burstein proclaimed in a Facebook message minutes later. “That damn World Cup is exciting!” Hey, just keep handing up those butter-fingered ’keepers and there’s no telling how far we can go. Despite having reached the World Cup’s knockout stage twice previously in the past 16 years, America had until quite recently retained a firm grasp on its title as the leader among the anti-soccer nations of the world. Which is not to say that as a nation we actively disliked the sport embraced by the rest of the world. Most of us simply didn’t care.

But that was then and this is now. That a change might be in the air has been evident over the past couple of weeks, and in recent days a man would be hard-pressed to walk past a Manhattan pub that wasn’t showing one of the matches from South Africa. And we’re not talking about just the “soccer pubs” catering to the immigrant trade here. The patrons of a chic café on the Upper West Side and those of some shot-and-a-beer bucket-of-blood in Hells Kitchen will be watching the same telecast this afternoon when Team USA goes up against Ghana in the first knockout round.

Read more at www.irishtimes.com (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0626/1224273367462.html)

EastTerracer
10/07/2010, 5:16 PM
It seems highly likely that Thierry Henry will be unveiled by the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday as their newest big-name signing (to play alongside Villa-reject Juan Pablo Angel). I've been to a few Red Bull games over the last few seasons but this will stick in the craw a bit over the next few months. Interestingly his first game for New York could bring him face to face with Robbie as there is a New York - Tottenham game scheduled for July 22nd.

The forums here in the US seem convinced that Henry will be huge here but, judging by his performances over the last year or two, they might be disappointed.

EastTerracer
14/07/2010, 12:24 PM
It seems highly likely that Thierry Henry will be unveiled by the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday as their newest big-name signing (to play alongside Villa-reject Juan Pablo Angel). I've been to a few Red Bull games over the last few seasons but this will stick in the craw a bit over the next few months. Interestingly his first game for New York could bring him face to face with Robbie as there is a New York - Tottenham game scheduled for July 22nd.

The forums here in the US seem convinced that Henry will be huge here but, judging by his performances over the last year or two, they might be disappointed.

It's confirmed this morning that Henry will sign for the New York Red Bulls today and that he will make his debut in a friendly against Tottenham on July 22nd.

I've been impressed with the Red Bulls efforts this season and especially with their new stadium. However, after standing behind the goal in Paris last November I can't bring myself to support any team with Henry in it. Hoping Robbie outshines the handballer next week.