PDA

View Full Version : Fingal 1-2 UCD

Schumi
27/06/2010, 4:25 PM
Great win on Friday. We were under big pressure at the start, could have easily been 2 down after 15 minutes, but were right in it once we got the equaliser. Amazing to think that we're only 5 points off the top!

Poor Student
27/06/2010, 9:04 PM
Every time I feel this team is about to run out of steam and slip off the pace they pull themselves right back into it. After losing at home to Sligo I didn't feel we were going to get 3 points from this one and fall back further in the table. In fairness we were fortuitous to take the win from this one. Fingal had the better of the play and chances and should have been victorious. That is not to say we played badly however. We had our fair share of possession and carved out a few decent chances of our own. It's very unusual for us to convert two set pieces and get two centre halves on the score sheet. I hope we can do this more often and with the strength and height of Boyle and Evan McMillan we should. As Japan showed the other night being able to convert set pieces into goals gives you a huge advantage. As you say, amazing to think we're that close to the top. Let's hope we can take three points in Drogheda although they seem to be a sterner test under Kierans.

As an aside, from a product perspective the game last night was good value for money. Two open teams committed to attacking each other, a decent venue and a pleasant crowd. I'm not fond of Fingal buying all our best players and doubt even their short term viability but it's a nice place to visit and they're doing a good job getting kids to LOI games.

The Lep
28/06/2010, 12:21 AM
UCD was good for the win. I thought it was a cracking first half and maybe we was going to get 1 or 2 more. Could it all go down to the final 2 rounds of the season to decide who the top 3 is ? A win in your next game with the others dropping points and its game on again for you especially with us and the others in euro action and having games postponed.

Aberdonian Stu
28/06/2010, 10:36 AM
This result, when looked at in context, is indicative of how tight the league is this year. We're about to hit the halfway stage yet still there are only 5 points separating the top six. Essentially in a season where any of those sides is capable of falling away none have because everyone has enough imperfections to keep the race close. Now I don't for a moment think UCD can mount a run for a top 2 spot but even moreso I wouldn't for a second be able to tell you with any level of confidence who the top two will be come the end of the year.

pineapple stu
28/06/2010, 11:17 AM
It's still strangely hard to see which of the other six (leaving out Galway, Drogheda and Bray, for right or for wrong) we'll finish ahead of. But I think we got 9 points in the first round of the season (still to go to Sligo) and 17 in the second round, which is a massive jump. Drogheda again on Friday - five from five would really put us up there.

Feared the worst when I saw we were 1-0 down after 5 minutes. Now really looking forward to watching the highlights. :)

Edit - just realised Bolger was suspended for this one as well of course. Makes it an even better result, I think.