PDA

View Full Version : Fickle fans

Colm
13/04/2004, 7:54 PM
I just want to comment on some of the things some of our so called supporters were shouting at our own players last night.
I could only hear the abuse that was being hurled from the Shed but I assume it was as bad if not worse in other areas of the ground.
One fool was shouting dogs abuse at Fenn.... "fcuk off ya waster Fenn" while another moron was calling him a "Waterford bast*rd" (shows his knowledge of Neale's background :rolleyes: )
There were a few Dolan out shouts and a certain loudmouth idiot (ye know who I'm talking about) spent the entire last 15 to 20 minutes roaring abuse at Dolan.
Dan Murray also got a lot of abuse.

Earlier on people were getting all upset because some youngfella threw a can at Cahill in the heat of the moment but to be honest I'd be far more worried about grown men who are roaring abuse at our own team. It's totally unwarrented imo and even if it wasn't it's quite pointless. How is it going to encourage the lads to play better, if anything it will have a negative effect on their performance. Finally since last season there has been a good relationship between players and fans.... lets not ruin it and go back to days when our own players wouldn't run to the shed celebrate.
If only these fellas would join in a few chants instead, we might inspire the team to do better.

city 4 life
13/04/2004, 8:18 PM
I have to agree. I was in the st.annes end and the abuse the team was getting was awful why bother coming to the X if you're only going to shout abuse at the team your supposed to be supporting. There was also a lot of people left early in my opinon typical of some city fans. They're the same people that when city are doing well are the diehards. Fenn and Georgie was terrible abuse taken Fenn wasn't great but i thought Georgie was one of the few players with a bit of pride in the jersey along with Greg and Nwankwo. Murray had a bad game I think if he was dropped for one or two games.
The point is if you're going to go to watch city support them don't boo them its jst stupidity the people who are doing are just muppets and city could do without fans like them.

On a different note great to see Keane back to the Republic squad. Miller and Keane in the centre of midfield would be great to see

RedX
13/04/2004, 9:16 PM
I come on here sometimes and out of frustration and plenty of passion for City to vent my anger when they are not doing well..but i will never stand for people slating our players at a game..Obviously Colm its Moses that is one of the people you are on about that abuses our own players..He has been giving Micky Devine abuse for the last few games and last night was giving Dolan some also..i think this is crazy..its important that we support the team when the games are going on..then we can talk our rubbish on here or in the pub(which we are entitled to)after the game...

A face
13/04/2004, 10:23 PM
He has been giving Micky Devine abuse for the last few games

Mick has been getting dogs abuse from the halfway line on the Derrynane side with the last year (and a City steward witnesses it every game and does nothing) and it is sometimes so ridiculous it borders on stupidity. I have contested them a few times and have been balled out of it. They just dont care about the outcome. I have asked a few times who would you replace him with and its "I could go down the road to any of the national schools and get a keeper 10 times better than him"

It is unreal to be honest what comes out of peoples mouths !!

Have to say City were talk of the town today and it wasn't good.

cityrebel1
14/04/2004, 10:36 AM
glad to know i'm not the only person who notices this , seriously there is about 4 or 5 30-40 year olds in the shed that just seem to spent the match shouting abuse at the ref , opposition players (Which you could forgive him for) and city players. I don't understand this , why come to watch a match if you clearly have no confidence in the team and players , that's just crazy. I've heard some vile abuse come from them that wouldn't offend me too much but when i see their kids standing next to them listening to their red-faced ranting parents it sickens me. i love the standing in the shed , their's no better atmosphere , but there is idiots at the front and at the back of the shed that ruin the atmosphere.

liamon
14/04/2004, 12:07 PM
Apart from the abuse, there was also the sight of 'fans' streaming for the exit with at least 15 minutes to go........

I don't agree with abusing our players, any of them. Criticising an individual is not hte way to go.
But fans all over the planet do tend to leave early when they see their team getting hammered, playing awful stuff and not deserving their support. Consider it a form of protest against the poor performance of the team.

Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I have no problem with fans walking out in disgust (as long as they come back next week).

Colm
14/04/2004, 12:14 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I have no problem with fans walking out in disgust (as long as they come back next week).

The problem is that most of the people who left early probably won't be back for at least another few games.

Ruairi
14/04/2004, 12:18 PM
The problem is that most of the people who left early probably won't be back for at least another few games.

and that's their perogative.

If they want to "vote with their feet" as spillane so often says let them. don'tget worked up about fans leaving when there's bigger fish to fry

razor
14/04/2004, 12:33 PM
In order to motivate some people they need an arm around the shoulder and a bit of encouragement, others need a kick up the h*le.

My opinion has always been that I will always encourage the team if I feel they have done their best and if we get beaten by a better team then so be it, i'm behind the lads 100%.
But on the other hand if like last night they roll over and die the minute we go a goal down then I feel i am well within my remit to give out about it.

The players trudged off into the dressing room to the sound of boo's and they thoroughly deserved them. Its not like they are going to break down in tears over a few dissenters. I fact I reckon half of them couldn't give a sh*t and if they do then let that be their kick up the h*le to try and improve and get this club back on track.

I do think we have the players, i just don't know Dolan knows what to do with them. Great talker, great PR man but tactically a bit nieve.
The performances against Waterford and Shels smack of Mountfield when it was quite obvious the players didn't want to play for him, could the same be happening behind the scenes right now ?
You never know.

Éanna
14/04/2004, 1:48 PM
The players trudged off into the dressing room to the sound of boo's and they thoroughly deserved them. Its not like they are going to break down in tears over a few dissenters. I fact I reckon half of them couldn't give a sh*t and if they do then let that be their kick up the h*le to try and improve and get this club back on track.
I have to agree with you there. The players got support for most of the game, and bar 2 or 3 they didn't seem to care. I ahve no time for insulting or slagging our own players, but I think people are well within their rights to shout things like "wake the **** up" or " show some ****ing pride." its comments like calling fenn a "waster" or a "waterford *******" or whatever that are just plain stupid.

yiddo
14/04/2004, 4:00 PM
Once we don't go down the road ritually abusing players just for the sake of it as has happened with Morley and Hartigan in the past I dont think that give them a bit of a b*llicking now and then does any harm. I think what worried and frustrated most people the other night was the fact that some of the players didn't seem to care what happened.