PDA

View Full Version : Word of the Day

A face
17/06/2010, 11:58 AM
Perspicacious - acutely perceptive or discerning, having or showing penetrating mental discernment; clear-sighted., acutely insightful and wise; "much too perspicacious to be taken in by such a spurious argument"

dahamsta
17/06/2010, 12:04 PM
Can we all post a word of the day, or is this your latest thing? Cos you ain't locked the thread like... ;)

stann
21/06/2010, 6:10 AM
My word of today, or any day, because it's extremely versatile, covers a multitude of things, and is also ever-so-slightly rude in a not-really-sure-why kind of way, is flange.
That's flange.

dahamsta
21/06/2010, 8:22 AM
I like flange.

osarusan
21/06/2010, 11:37 AM
My word of the say is

siphon(also syphon)

because of the following definition in the Oxford Dictionary, which has remained basically unedited for the last 80 years or so

• noun - a tube used to convey liquid upwards from a container and then down to a lower level, the flow being maintained by atmospheric pressure.

but which will be edited dramatically in the next edition as they've been contacted by an Australian scientist who told them that the flow had nothing to do with atmospheric pressure, and is down to simple gravity.

OwlsFan
12/02/2019, 12:17 PM
Abstruse: = Paul O'Shea ;)

SkStu
12/02/2019, 1:17 PM
"crump" - the satisfying crunch of snow beneath your feet. (appropriate given my location)

I follow Susie Dent on twitter which I would highly recommend if the English language and cool old words float yer boat.

Eminence Grise
12/02/2019, 1:54 PM
I think I could grow to like this thread...

Big fan of Suzie Dent!

The Fly
12/02/2019, 3:44 PM
I think I could grow to like this thread...

Big fan of Suzie Dent!

You grow at a very slow rate then. ;)

The Fly
12/02/2019, 3:46 PM
"crump" - the satisfying crunch of snow beneath your feet. (appropriate given my location)

I follow Susie Dent on twitter which I would highly recommend if the English language and cool old words float yer boat.

One suggestion I'd make is to expand the thread to incorporate phrases. They float my boat a bit more.

stann
12/02/2019, 6:09 PM
Standards Of Accountability

dahamsta
14/02/2019, 9:11 AM

Or just Susie Dent.

Eminence Grise
14/02/2019, 8:56 PM
NSFW, for fans of Suzie and swear words (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C26xJT4BT0E)... I could save a fortune on all those 1550 numbers!

Today's word of the day is turncoat (https://twitter.com/_DeclanRice?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp %7Ctwgr%5Eauthor). Though it may be a day too late.

SkStu
14/03/2019, 9:01 AM
From Susie’s twitter:

The original meaning of 'deadline' was a line marked in the earth around a prison: if an inmate went beyond it, they were liable to be shot.

osarusan
14/03/2019, 11:39 AM
I've told this to a few people, none of whom believed it until they went off and checked for themselves.

The word 'Tory', as in, the Tories/Conservative Party, came from the old Irish word tóraidhe, which means 'outlaw' or 'pursued man' and was originally used to describe Irish peasants dispossessed by English settlers, then came to describe peasant gangs in the Scottish highlands, and finally used as a derogatory nickname for the people/party which supported Catholic King James II back in the late 1700s.

SkStu
17/04/2019, 2:49 PM
More from the wonderful Susie

Lethologica: the inability to remember the right word (including, probably, this one).

Tartle: to hesitate awkwardly when greeting or introducing someone, as you've completely forgotten their name.

I’m guilty of both, every day.

dahamsta
19/04/2019, 8:55 AM
I have (self-diagnosed) face-blindness, so I don't tartle, I just plough on and hope for context. :)

Eminence Grise
19/04/2019, 2:27 PM
In today's Guardian - petrichor.

A pleasant, distinctive smell frequently accompanying the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather in certain regions. (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/apr/19/smell-rain-heatwave-love-word)

SkStu
19/04/2019, 2:48 PM
I have (self-diagnosed) face-blindness, so I don't tartle, I just plough on and hope for context. :)

What a lot of people mistake for being a rude b@stard! :D

dahamsta
23/04/2019, 11:55 AM
No mistake!