PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with an infant

Dodge
17/06/2010, 9:37 AM
Has anybody any experience of travelling with an infant? (She’ll be 12 months when we go)

I can read all the online stuff but looking for more of people’s personal experiences. It’ll be a cheapo sun holiday and as long as the apartment has a microwave and a kettle we should be alright for her food/bottle wise. Thinking about stuff we’ll need to get but can’t think of much bar sunscreens and insect repellents and the usual other lotions and potions.

Anything else I should be aware of?

the 12 th man
17/06/2010, 10:09 AM
These days most sun destinations are well used to dealing with little kids and should be well able to look after your liitle girl,buy a little parasol clip on things for your pram, it will come in handy to protect against the sun and a cooler bag will allow you bring made up stuff (food) with you if you go off for the day,I'll post again if I think of anything.

thischarmingman
17/06/2010, 5:28 PM
Anything else I should be aware of?

Don't go to any tapas bars with your friends.

Spudulika
18/06/2010, 6:10 AM
Make sure, when you arrive, to buy a little float with an umbrella on it so she can kick and move - though what I found out is that little ones can only handle 10-15 minutes in the water, no matter how warm, before they start to get cold.

After sun cream, gel for soothing insect bites, that little anti-fly/mosquito thing you plug in - otherwise you could end up with an unhappy little tent dweller being woken up regularly. And check with the chemist for some multi-vitamin drops. That sounds a bit mad, but apparently kids under 3 need this as they're prone to picking up colds and flus more easily after air travel and an introduction to a warm climate.

Dodge
18/06/2010, 8:52 AM
Cheers lads. Mrs Dodge is a slight bit of a worrier so we'll be like a pharmacy going out.

Float is a great idea

Spudulika
18/06/2010, 9:47 AM
Oh, and make sure she's on the soother (child not Mrs. Dodge) as she's getting on the plane - with my two it was the only way to prevent mayhem when the doors close and the pressure starts up. And I know it's probably not always advised, but DO disrupt sleep patterns before you go, as little ones will doze off or stay awake as they choose, better to have them doze on the plane instead of getting on it asleep. I'm looking now for a link on my email that Mrs. Spudulika received from my Mam regarding kids who are carried on then go bananas when they wake up - it's middle ear something.

Main thing is enjoy every second of it! No matter what it can be the first full memory of a child that age (my eldest remembers my brother and his greyhounds from when she was 11months old visiting Ireland, as well as playing with bubbles with my Mam and sister).

the 12 th man
18/06/2010, 11:01 AM
as well as playing with bubbles with my Mam and sister).

You knew Michael Jackson?:)

Spudulika
18/06/2010, 12:10 PM
You knew Michael Jackson?:)

Actually........... :-) Very good!

dahamsta
18/06/2010, 12:23 PM
My wife travels with me all the time and I create very little trouble.

Spudulika
18/06/2010, 1:23 PM
My wife travels with me all the time and I create very little trouble.

Do you travel in the cage or in the little ball?

John83
18/06/2010, 3:20 PM
Do you travel in the cage or in the little ball?
I've always found it easier to just flush them and get a new one at the other end.

davey
19/06/2010, 10:19 PM
Expect different sleep hours - longer ones though:smile. I went to Turkey with my wee girl when she was 18 months. She normally got up at 7.00 and had an hour in the afternoon at that time. However the heat took it out of her. She doubled her afternoon sleep whilst away and slept through to 9.30 in the morning. Brilliant ! She also went off her food when away - keep your little one topped off with loads of fluids, my wee girl drank tons of milk. I'm not sure if it was the heat that took her appetite away or the different foodstuffs.