PDA

View Full Version : Half-term predictions

1st time post
10/06/2010, 2:04 PM
Now these threads always cause varying opinion among fans of either clubs but its the summer break and im bored so just wondering what everybody out there thinks for the finishing position of the league and the winners of the 2 cups.Ill go with.......
1.Bohs{best squad and still right there after very poor start)
2.Shams(2nd best squad and think this will be huge later in league)
3.Fingal(very impressive so far and with a couple more signings could push top 2)
4.US(Think the break coming at wrong time for us but were starting to put good results together but just think our defence isnt strong enough to challenge top 3)
5.Pats(very impressive start but dont think theyre overall squad good enough)
6.Dundalk(Like pats a great start but think they were already staring to fade before break and if they win a couple of rounds in Europe it will hinder)
7.U.C.D(Great team to watch and im sure would have taken this postition at start of season but probably not now but think it could be long 2nd half for their youngsters.
8.Galway(much as i hate to say it Sean Connor actually doin well with resources at his disposal but they lack the quality fo finish any higher.
9.Drogs(think them and bray are a lot weaker than anyone else)
10.Bray(1st div side,nuff said!!)

Im gonna go with us to do a Cup double to erase last years horrific memories but then i would say that!!In first div, Derry to win it and Waterford and Mons for playoff place.Again these are just my opinions and they are there to be shot at but please try and not turn this thread into the usual bitching session.Opinions welcome!!

WindmillWarrior
10/06/2010, 2:43 PM
You don't know what the f*ck you're talking about :rolleyes: ;)

But seriously, I wouldnt agree with your assessment of us. its clear now that the players by and large just weren't playing for Mathews anymore. We've improved incredibly since Darius Kierans took over. We've the potential to catch Galway but probably no further than that.
Other than that I reckon you're right on your final league placings. And I couldnt give a sh*te about the cups :D

SkStu
10/06/2010, 2:43 PM
i have no problems with your assessment other than i cannot see Pats and Dundalk finish that low and not sure about us or Rovers finishing that high... that said, i cant imagine there being much more than 12 points between first and sixth.

Its a tough one to call this season thats for shizzle.

Rasputin
10/06/2010, 2:48 PM
1. Bohs - I am not as confident of them winning the league now as I was at the start of the season with some very very mediocre performances but they have the strongest and best squad in the country and most of all have the best and most wiley manager in the league in nutsy. His experience and guile should steer them to yet another league title.

2. Shams - Second best squad in the league and impressive resources at their disposal so anything less than second place would be a real dissapointment IMO.

3. Dundalk - Have a nice tidy team but a slightly thin squad which will effect them. But they have a good manager in Foster and I can see them claiming 3rd if they have no serious set backs to their squad.

4. Franchise - Solid all round with some nice players in the likes of Finn and Byrne. Have the resources to push into the top four prior to their eventual financial collapse.

5. Rovers - We are on a brilliant run at the minute after our usual anti-climactic start. Like what was said the break is coming at the wrong time for us so I expect some more lack lustre performances halfway through second half of the seasona ccompanied by some terrific end of season form that will push us to 5th.

6. Pats - I think they have slightly punched above their weight this season and can see them falling away as the season heads into the finals lengths. Again a shallow squad will come back to bite them.

7. UCD - Quality performances so far and a real upset for the "bigger" clubs. But when we get to the business side of the season I would expect the older heads in their respective clubs to be the difference between themselves and UCD as the old cliche of "experience" kicks in.

8. Galway - One of the major surprises for me this season was how Sean Connor has really built an effective outfit in glaway on a shoe string budget. I expect the crusts will comfortably avoid relegation and the play-offs this season which I didnt expect at the outset.

9. Drogs - I can see them improving their performances already under the new manager and I expect their up turn in form will continue for them to really pull away from Bray but I cant see them getting out of the bottom two tbh, they just dont have the quality or the budget.

10. Bray - Relegation without a doubt. Easily one of the worst teams ive ever seen in the league and just relegation fodder. I really would not like to be a Bray fan this season.

As for the cups I can see us picking up the League Cup because we can take Shams at home and Mons and Dundalk are there for the beating. As for the FAI cup I would tip shams this season, the pressure for silverware and the fact that there isnt the likes of Cork and Derry competing aswell. I cant see Bohs winning it, I expect nutsy will have both eyes firmly on the League. If we win anything ill be delighted, been too long without silverwear here and with the squad of players we have this season and the way they have been playing of late we have to win something.

Ciaran W
10/06/2010, 2:49 PM
1.Bohs
2.Shamrock Rovers
3.Fingal
4.Pats
5.Dundalk
6.Sligo
7.Ucd
8.Galway
9.Drogheda
10.Bray

As for the cups
League Cup:Shamrock Rovers
Fai Cup:Pats or Fingal

WindmillWarrior
10/06/2010, 2:52 PM
Isn't it 8th v 9th in a playoff, with the losers playing a first division club?

Ciaran W
10/06/2010, 2:57 PM
Yes WindmillWarrior there is a playoff

PartySaint
10/06/2010, 3:04 PM
Isn't it 8th v 9th in a playoff, with the losers playing a first division club?

Your sig answers that question;)

dong
10/06/2010, 3:35 PM
1.Bohs
2.Shamrock Rovers
3.Fingal
4.Pats
5.Dundalk
6.Sligo
7.Ucd
8.Galway
9.Drogheda
10.Bray

As for the cups
League Cup:Shamrock Rovers
Fai Cup:Pats or Fingal

I'd agree with that. I still see Bohs as eventual winners. I can't see us putting together a run that would push us into the top three. It's possible but unlikely imo.
To win one of the cups would be fantastic.

Doomofman
10/06/2010, 4:05 PM
1.Bohs
2.Pats
3.Shamrock Rovers
4.Dundalk
5.Fingal
6.Sligo
7.UCD
8.Galway
9.Drogheda
10.Bray

I reckon 3rd to 7th could end in any variation of those teams... But I reckon we'll hang in there into the last few weeks but Bohs squad strength will show in the end.

sligoman
10/06/2010, 5:19 PM
We'll win the league, that's all that matters to me.

Ezeikial
10/06/2010, 6:16 PM
While it is an unpredictable league so far, it is uncanny how most of the predictions here reflect the pre-season betting.

They also have a strong similarity to the respective budgets. It would be a surprise to most if Bohs and Rovers -the highest budgets - were not in the final shake-up for the top two.

Take you pick as to the order that the 5 mid-ranked teams finish -Number 3 budget Sporting Fingal and Number 8/9 (?) UCD are the ones most likely to under-perform or over-perform by this yardstick, although both have fine teams.

July signings, involvement in European competition, the luck with injuries and suspensions will all have a significant part to play in determining places 3 - 7.

Most would agree that Bray are bankers for 10th place with Drogheda and Galway fighting it out for home advantage in the play-offs

placid casual
10/06/2010, 8:27 PM
1.Fingal
2.Bohs
3.Dundalk
4.Rovers
5.Sligo
7.Ucd
8.pats
8.Galway
9.Drogheda
10.Bray

League Cup:Sligo
Fai Cup: Bohs

Real Rover
11/06/2010, 12:14 AM
1 Franchise
2 Shams
3 Bohs
4 Rovers
5 Pats
6 Dundalk
7 UCD
8 Drogs
9 Krusties
10 Bray

League Cup: Rovers
FAI Cup: Shams

Acornvilla
11/06/2010, 12:51 AM
1 Franchise
2 Shams
3 Bohs
4 Rovers
5 Pats
6 Dundalk
7 UCD
8 Drogs
9 Krusties
10 Bray

League Cup: Rovers
FAI Cup: Shams

we shall see about that :D

marinobohs
11/06/2010, 11:15 AM
Great to see such certainty (and consistency) about the final placings in what has been a very open season to date. Most have mentioned the squad strenght at Bohs and Shams and I suspect this will be a major factor but Pats have a great advantage (Leaguewise) in that they are not involved in Europe. Sligo have finally started playing as some of us expected them to from the start and UCD have improved as the season progressed.

For me Bohs, Shams and Sligo have underachieved so far pats Dundalk and UCD have maybe overachieved to date. Appears that the League is there for any team that is able to put together a run of 5/6 wins. Actually like the idea of an open League with 1st to 6st all up for grabs.

**FrOsTy**
11/06/2010, 12:17 PM
1. Waterford - Had our bad patch. Signed 2/3 Players who could be very good (Barrett, Murphy)

2. Derry - Every team hits the wall at some stage. Derry have a good starting 11 but there bench wouldn't inspire with confidence a few injuries or the sale of mcclean could be the downfall.

3. Limerick - Living up to their potential. Should be rewarded with a play-off spot.

4. Shels - Matthews to keep them in steady shape but the players arent up to scratch. Something will have to come in during the window.

5. Mons- Very good opening to the season. Squad is far to small to compete for the rest of the season though.

6. Cork - Novelty seeming to ware off down in the X. Crowds falling every week. 4 5 1 formations don't work.

7. Athlone - Don't conceed many goals. Don't score enough though. Nice mid table finish wont be in any trouble of relegation.

8. Longford - Same as above

9. Harps - Lack quality.

10. Wexford - Will die off like other years.

11. Mervue - Not far off Salthill.

12. Salthill - Simply the worst team to ever play LOI.

pineapple stu
11/06/2010, 12:29 PM
1st to 6st all up for grabs.
1st to 7th, I'd say. We're improving - 9 points in the first round versus 14 in the second round, with one game left to play in each - and while it is hard on the face of it to see which of the six teams above us we can stay ahead of, there's no reason to rule us out of things completely.

marinobohs
11/06/2010, 1:24 PM
1st to 7th, I'd say. We're improving - 9 points in the first round versus 14 in the second round, with one game left to play in each - and while it is hard on the face of it to see which of the six teams above us we can stay ahead of, there's no reason to rule us out of things completely.

Was not ruling UCD out at all :eek: although appreciate it may have seemed that way. My point was that it is very open this year and any team bar Bray, Drogs and prob Galway can have realistic expectations of at least european football for next season. As I mentioned UCD have now settled down a bit more (from first round) and are playing with more confidence - important in a youngish side - and no surprise they are picking up more points.
In summary then 1st -7th up for grabs;)

Flexy
12/06/2010, 9:54 AM
1. Waterford - Had our bad patch. Signed 2/3 Players who could be very good (Barrett, Murphy)

2. Derry - Every team hits the wall at some stage. Derry have a good starting 11 but there bench wouldn't inspire with confidence a few injuries or the sale of mcclean could be the downfall.

3. Limerick - Living up to their potential. Should be rewarded with a play-off spot.

4. Shels - Matthews to keep them in steady shape but the players arent up to scratch. Something will have to come in during the window.

5. Mons- Very good opening to the season. Squad is far to small to compete for the rest of the season though.

6. Cork - Novelty seeming to ware off down in the X. Crowds falling every week. 4 5 1 formations don't work.

7. Athlone - Don't conceed many goals. Don't score enough though. Nice mid table finish wont be in any trouble of relegation.

9. Harps - Lack quality.

Frosty cant see Derry throwing away 7 point lead, if Derry cant sign any players I dont know for the life of me know how waterford will afford another 2 or 3 players. Waterfords wage bill must be high as it is.

Sam_Heggy
12/06/2010, 10:19 AM

9. Harps - Lack quality.

Mad predictions there.

Waterford will not win the league.
Harps will finish ahead of Longford and Athlone.
Can't see Shels finishing 4th either.

oriel
12/06/2010, 10:25 AM
I cant see anyone finishing above Bohs and Rovers, which leaves 'and the rest'. For us to come 3rd would be a huge achievement and I`d be delighted. For that though, we`ll need to bring in a decent striker and get some cover for central defence. If we get that and stay injury free, we might have a chance. I think Sligo will come strong from July onwards and may push for 4th, where this leaves Pats/Fingal is anyones guess, as both are far too good to finish mid table.

I think there is a huge opportunity for 3rd/4th spot for a side going into form is September for eg, and finishing really strong. Its going to be really really tight.

FAI Cup - Pats ........Lge Cup - Us (and if not I would love it to be Mons for their first ever senior trophy)

De Town
12/06/2010, 1:10 PM

9. Harps - Lack quality.

We don't concede many or score many?! Have you checked our for and against column lately?

Candystripe
12/06/2010, 2:58 PM
I also cant see Derry throwing away a seven point lead.

The Derry team are getting stronger as the league progresses and with the rumoured signing of Celtic centre half Daniel Lafferty and possibly two others from across the water I can only see Derry running away with the league.

As or 2nd place, Monaghan looked a very good side and will be in the play-off with Waterford finishing 3rd.

Limerick to finish 4th but too far behind to hope for a play-off place.

Acornvilla
12/06/2010, 4:11 PM
We don't concede many or score many?! Have you checked our for and against column lately?

last 3 games 3 scored 1 conceded :) Aaron's return of form has been a huge part of that thou, i think we will end up around 6th or 7th

Sam_Heggy
12/06/2010, 4:11 PM
I also cant see Derry throwing away a seven point lead.

The Derry team are getting stronger as the league progresses and with the rumoured signing of Celtic centre half Daniel Lafferty and possibly two others from across the water I can only see Derry running away with the league.

As or 2nd place, Monaghan looked a very good side and will be in the play-off with Waterford finishing 3rd.

Limerick to finish 4th but too far behind to hope for a play-off place.

Monaghan have not impressed me in the 2 games this season.
We beat them 1-0 down there and they were lucky to get out of Finn Park with a 0-0 draw.
Limerick look a very good side, with pace throughout the side and big physical players.

I would go for Muckers top, Waterford 2nd, Limerick 3rd and Cork to push in the latter series of games for 4th.

Dunny
12/06/2010, 4:36 PM
last 3 games 3 scored 1 conceded :) Aaron's return of form has been a huge part of that thou, i think we will end up around 6th or 7th

He pulled off a brilliant save in the match against Shels.

De Town
12/06/2010, 5:49 PM
Yes we've improved in the last 3 games, but over the course of the season so far we've had no problem scoring and conceding.

He pulled off a brilliant save in the match against Shels.
Twas a cracker alright, one of the best I've ever seen imo.

micls
12/06/2010, 8:33 PM
Monaghan have not impressed me in the 2 games this season.
We beat them 1-0 down there and they were lucky to get out of Finn Park with a 0-0 draw.
Limerick look a very good side, with pace throughout the side and big physical players.

I would go for Muckers top, Waterford 2nd, Limerick 3rd and Cork to push in the latter series of games for 4th.

Limerick have certainly improved with a couple of signings, were very poor when we played them in Jackman but good results since. The game in the cross should be interesting. We tend to up our game against the better teams (outplayd Waterford and Derry(2nd half) last time round). Unfortunately it also works the opposite way and we've been poor against 'smaller' teams.

Hopefully we'll bring in a small bit of experience in the break. We also need a striker as we're way too reliant on Cummins.

I think it's very open. Derry should walk away with the league but from there to 6th is wide open.Waterford have been poor of late, a lot will depend on if they're signings gel, Limerick could do well if they keep up the form and Scully doesnt have his annual fight with players, we could finish anywhere from 2nd(unlikely) to 6th. Monaghan and Shels will both be there or there abouts too.

For us, I think the aim has to be a playoff, even though we'd have been more than happy with midtable at the start. Anything that doesnt involve examinership will be a result though.

Optimistic predictions:
1) Derry
2)Waterford
3) Cork City
4) Limerick
5) Shels
6) Monaghan
7) Harps
8) Athlone
9) Longford
10) Wexford
11) Mervue
12) Salthill

It's a mad league though, anyone can beat anyone, should be interesting anyway. If it did happen would lead to a cracker of a promotion playoff with a sell out crowd Id imagine at the RSC.