PDA

View Full Version : Shels away - Tuesday night

De Town
05/06/2010, 9:43 PM
Many going? Hope to be there myself. Confident enough of getting a result, provided the players aren't in a hoop after Hynes' wedding today. Shels didn't impress me when we played them earlier in the season, our rubbish defending gifted them goal after goal. Our defence seems to have tightened up just a bit lately so hopefully that can continue. If they have a speedy striker though that could be a worry coz Deans and Lester are blessed with blistering pace. Fingers crossed we can keep this mini revival going and get some sort of result.

Martinho II
06/06/2010, 11:42 AM
I will be for one be there.. Shels are very hot and cold this season.. their best result in the season was beating Monaghan Utd away.. Their home form I dont think is good.. They let Wexford Youths beat them at home.. I am confident that we will keep the clean sheet run going and win again to keep us happy for the two week summer break..

outspoken
06/06/2010, 10:47 PM
Were gona win this one ....... or at least draw .... very very confident going into this one and I can set off on my holidays very happy if we can keep this good run of form going :)

Longfordian
08/06/2010, 11:01 PM
Good result, sounds like we were worth the point but Shanahan made some cracking saves by all accounts. Good to have him back on top form, it's a big help to the defence.

De Town
08/06/2010, 11:33 PM
Yep definitely deserved the point. Shanahan made one of the best saves I've ever seen in the first have, was on the ground, their man was putting a rebound into the net with a little header and he came out of nowhere to tip it over. We were definitely worth the point though. Salmon missed a 1 on 1 after 10 minutes, really should have scored. Delaney made a few good saves as well. Good performance and result.

sorbothegreek
09/06/2010, 8:42 AM
Shanahan made one of the best saves I've ever seen in the first have, was on the ground, their man was putting a rebound into the net with a little header and he came out of nowhere to tip it over.

The highlight of the game as far as i am concerned. The best save i've ever seen at a live game..
Well done Aaron..

De Town
09/06/2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks to ringsend reds off the Shels forum for the pic. It doesn't really do the save justice though!

L.T.F.C.
09/06/2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks to ringsend reds off the Shels forum for the pic. It doesn't really do the save justice though!

I'm sure that SHELSTV will have highlights. Really looking forward to them now!

De Town
09/06/2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah they usually do, and the camera was there last night.

Town Legend
09/06/2010, 1:37 PM
Great result! Hopefully they'll keep the run going although Derry away in next game will be a tough one!

outspoken
09/06/2010, 3:24 PM
A great result and sounds like Shanahan was once again world class unfortunately im going to miss Derry away but il be following it closely from the Gran Canaries and im sure we will give it a right go but cant wait for Cork at home should be a stormer.

Martinho II
09/06/2010, 5:02 PM
it was a well deserved point. that save from shanahan was one of a double save in a minute.. He also made other top notch saves but his save last nite was easily the equivalent of Gordan Banks.. I dont know how he managed to tip it over but it was world class imo..

I never saw a game with so many injuries.. Daisy was one of two town players to be taken off injured.. once victor came on as sub to replace Daisy he terrorised Shels .. I wonder has he finally found a good position?

Brady and Sammon should have scored.. Shels scored close on half time when town defence fell asleep and allowed hughes to come in on the blind side to score.. Delaney was very poor for Freemans equaliser and he couldnt miss from a yard!

thats three games unbeaten in Tolka now.. a 2-2 , 5-4 win and now a 1-1. I have a good feeling that things are finally picking up on the pitch...

outspoken
09/06/2010, 6:00 PM
I never saw a game with so many injuries.. Daisy was one of two town players to be taken off injured.. once victor came on as sub to replace Daisy he terrorised Shels .. I wonder has he finally found a good position?

Oh yea I meant to ask that did Victor play as a striker when he came on? was there not a better choice on the bench sounded like it worked a charm though so who cares lol

De Town
09/06/2010, 7:21 PM
Yeah Victor came on as a striker. It was either him or Kevin Cronin who came on for Glynn, and in fairness to him he put himself about and did ok.

Acornvilla
09/06/2010, 7:31 PM
the first game i seen victor play my dad said that guy should be a winger not a defender, and i agreed with him, vic cant defend, but has fast and has a bit of skill

Longfordian
09/06/2010, 8:14 PM
Centre midfield would seem a logical progression for him, he's still only young though, 18 or 19?. Anyhow he did ok at the back v Waterford. He's improving with games which was the idea of the loan I guess.

Acornvilla
09/06/2010, 8:29 PM
kearney made a holy show of the lad v Waterford, well maybe not a show of him but he certainly had the beating of him to easily..

yeah i think hes 19, but is it me or does he stay way to central in the defense, like he never ever actually bloddy marks his winger theres never a challenge to get to the ball first or anything, i think he really needs to work on his positioning, he doesn't read the game very well, on the plus side he seems to beginning to learn how to head the ball.

i sat behind the goals for the Waterford game by the way so i had a decent view and was watching him the whole time :)

i think the lad copuld be a decent footballer but he will never make it as a RB? am i correct in that he was ment to be a CB when we loaned him?

oh as well, for set pieces we have no organisation or defensive game plan its a joke, shanahan was going mad especially at victor for standing behind people and not actually marking anyone or doing anything worth while, he always seemed to hide behind another player

outspoken
09/06/2010, 9:42 PM
kearney made a holy show of the lad v Waterford, well maybe not a show of him but he certainly had the beating of him to easily..

Ah I dont think thats fair to him Acornvilla he played well in my opinion and seems to be growing in confidence. He one every header that came his way VS Waterford but yes usually his position is poor and hes caught very narrow but im starting to get less nervous when he comes on :cool:

Town Legend
10/06/2010, 10:06 AM
Have to agree with Marty there! He has been improving in last few games. He was pretty bad at the start of the season and I was wondering what Cousins seen in him. Cousins dropped him for a while there and that might of spurred him on a bit. In one game that he wasn't in the squad I seen Cousins during the warm up spend quite a while talking and showing Victor a few techniques and tactics and it seems to be bearing fruit. Wasn't at the game on Tuesday so not sure how he'd do as a striker!!! And yes he's naturally a centre back.

outspoken
10/06/2010, 11:07 AM
. In one game that he wasn't in the squad I seen Cousins during the warm up spend quite a while talking and showing Victor a few techniques and tactics and it seems to be bearing fruit.

Ye I seen that myself that day and hes probably one of those players that needs an arm around him to spur him on

Tallanted
12/06/2010, 2:46 PM
He is 21 not as young as you might think, he is plain and simply headless, might get use out of him as an impact player coming on high up the pitch but thats about it