PDA

View Full Version : 4-5-1

Sheridan
10/04/2004, 4:55 PM
Don't worry, this isn't a "GILL OUT!!" post, but I have to say I disagree with the current use of a 4-5-1 formation for damage limitation purposes. Read some quotes from Giller in the Herald today, claiming that Shels hadn't created any chances in the first half, which is manifestly untrue (both Byrnes missed easy chances to score.) It was only a matter of time before we went behind and had to chase the game, something we weren't set up to do. What's the point of Gary O'Neill busting his gut, winning the ball, beating men left, right and centre, and chipping dangerous crosses into the box if there's no-one to get on the end of them? It pains me to say it, but at this level of football you need a target man, and Robbie Farrell is the only player in the squad who fits that description. Philly Hughes was brilliant when he came on, and almost got us a draw, but we need some height up front.

Sweat and Ben were brilliant, if they can keep that form up and we can create a bit more at the other end we'll be fine.

Ringo
10/04/2004, 5:00 PM
I was sick last night (bug picked up from my little lad). I'm getting a bit tired of the glorious in defeat attitude. as Gill has said you can't stay up not winning games & giving away goals. We need wins and we need them soon. don't get me wrong, i know its early in the season but we need to stop the rot.

Maynard
10/04/2004, 5:41 PM
Yup. Hopefully the 1 up front is only something that's going to applied when we're up against teams of the calibre of Shels and Bohs...but the fact that we used the same formation against Pats may suggest otherwise (and in fairness we did create a hell of a lot against them)

Before the season started Giller said that he couldn't wait to see O'Neill and Hughes up front together. Perhaps Hughes isn't 100% ready for that (fitness wise) yet. Personally that's the strikeforce I'd like to see.
I'm not sure if Robbie Farrell has enough to offer over 90 minutes in this league to warrant a starting place with Gary. He didn't really look up to that task against Longford.

As far as picking up points...1 out of 15 makes for hard reading.
We really need a big big performance against Derry, followed by a big 3 points.

TommyT
10/04/2004, 6:38 PM
Gill has said you can't stay up not winning games & giving away goals.

Nor can you stay up with a load of First Division players.

Sheridan
10/04/2004, 7:17 PM
Nor can you stay up with a load of First Division players.
Ben Whelehan has been brilliant. Philly Hughes has looked dangerous. Dom Tierney and Jason Colwell have been disappointing. Argument invalid.

Schumi
10/04/2004, 9:34 PM
I'm getting a bit tired of the glorious in defeat attitude. as Gill has said you can't stay up not winning games & giving away goals. We need wins and we need them soon. don't get me wrong, i know its early in the season but we need to stop the rot.
That's exactly how we started last season, lots of one goal defeats and a draw against Pats (:)). You'll be out of sight quickly if you don't start getting a couple of wins.