PDA

View Full Version : World Cup predictions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

OwlsFan
02/06/2010, 9:26 AM
Apart from the obvious Brazil and Spain, I think the Dutch are a good outside bet. England will go out on penos. I wouldn't be impressed with Italy from what I saw of them in our group but they are never far away.

Prediction: Argentina despite the very poor qualifying.

EAFC_rdfl
02/06/2010, 10:56 AM
i say holland spain in the final

passinginterest
02/06/2010, 11:42 AM
England to fail to get out of group, look to be in terrible form and the group is not as easy as people seem to think.

bennocelt
02/06/2010, 12:24 PM
I am going for a Spain - England final.
Reckon that Australia will do well, they have a cracking def/mid - if they only had a decent striker...............
Also wud bet that South Africa wont qualify from their group.............

superfrank
02/06/2010, 12:36 PM
Brazil or Spain.

Brazil aren't as flashy as they used to be but they are solid and very hard to beat under Dunga.

Spain probably have the best squad and easily the best midfield.

endabob1
02/06/2010, 1:34 PM
Brazil are the obvious candidates, a bit light in the centre of midfield I think, how are Klebberson & Gilberto Silva still getting games!!! Apart from that they have strength all over but I have a sneaky feeling for the Dutch this time out. I am interested to see how Argentina fare as the have the quality to be the best team in it, Spain are too weak at the back imo, same for England (same could be argued for Holland mind) Italy will be well organised and difficult to beat but I think they'll fall short this time.
In all probability it will be a Brazil v Holland Quarter Final which is a shame because that would be a cracking final, but I think whoever comes through that will win it.

EAFC_rdfl
02/06/2010, 2:45 PM
Brazil are the obvious candidates, a bit light in the centre of midfield I think, how are Klebberson & Gilberto Silva still getting games!!! Apart from that they have strength all over but I have a sneaky feeling for the Dutch this time out. I am interested to see how Argentina fare as the have the quality to be the best team in it, Spain are too weak at the back imo, same for England (same could be argued for Holland mind) Italy will be well organised and difficult to beat but I think they'll fall short this time.
In all probability it will be a Brazil v Holland Quarter Final which is a shame because that would be a cracking final, but I think whoever comes through that will win it.
any chance of ivory coast coming out on top of the group, not brazil?

endabob1
02/06/2010, 2:55 PM
Don't think IC will beat Brazil, they should sneak past Portugal but they are as disorganised as each other, Portugal are a one man band & IC aren't a million miles from that either

OwlsFan
02/06/2010, 4:16 PM
Also wud bet that South Africa wont qualify from their group.............

Very rare for a home country not to get out of its group. Anyone remember the last one if any?

gustavo
02/06/2010, 10:42 PM
Brazil to win, Luis Fabiano top scorer

shakermaker1982
03/06/2010, 7:35 AM
Brazil to win, Luis Fabiano top scorer

That would be my safe double.

I think Holland will start well and rack up the goals before getting edged out by Brazil in the Q Finals. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Chile.

I think Argentina will do well (fingers crossed). I'd stick some £ on em but 7/1 is too short.

I could see Spain going out to Ivory Coast in the 2nd round.....

superfrank
03/06/2010, 1:08 PM
Anyone remember the last one if any?
It has never happened.

De Town
03/06/2010, 5:54 PM
England to win it, Crouch top scorer.

Sullivinho
04/06/2010, 5:26 AM
Brazil to beat Spain in the final. Having the top scorer in David Villa is no consolation for the teary Spaniards.
Argentina and Maradona to provide exceptional entertainment before exiting in the semis.
England to crash out in the quarters. No outstanding scapegoat sees the blame evenly spread.
Germany and Italy pale imitations of their former selves.
Australia and Uruguay to exceed expectations. Luis Suarez to star.

France to exit after a shameful refereeing decision. Charlize Theron pictured snickering.

I'll be following Argentina.

shakermaker1982
04/06/2010, 7:34 AM

Seriously?

culloty82
04/06/2010, 7:34 AM
Of course there's always one or two big early shocks, but it's hard to bet against Brazil-Holland, France-England, Germany-Argentina and Spain-Italy QFs, leaving Brazil-France and Spain-Germany SFs. I'll go for Spain to beat Brazil in the final, Villa top scorer.

bennocelt
04/06/2010, 9:12 AM

Think this is 40/1, def a good each way bet considering the group they got and the easier route to the semis than then other half

outspoken
04/06/2010, 10:14 AM
Brazil to win this WC and the next as it in their home country and if they dont win it they get slaughtered by the fans. but back to this WC Brazil to win , Spain to flop , England to Semi's and Ivory Coast to be suprise package thats it rapped up in a nut shell

EAFC_rdfl
04/06/2010, 10:31 AM
Brazil to win this WC and the next as it in their home country and if they dont win it they get slaughtered by the fans. but back to this WC Brazil to win , Spain to flop , England to Semi's and Ivory Coast to be suprise package thats it rapped up in a nut shell
thanks for ruining it on us! I don't think I'll even bother to watch it now :disappointed::D

De Town
04/06/2010, 11:57 AM
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. I've backed both as singles, as well as Higuain (20/1) and Cardozo (100/1) for top scorer. All e/w. I think England are going to go far, they've always had the players, this time they have a quality manager who could be the difference this time.

Think this is 40/1, def a good each way bet considering the group they got and the easier route to the semis than then other half
I have it at 66/1 with Bet365. His scoring record for England is outstanding, defenders are going to have their eye on Rooney more than Crouch, which will hopefully give him more space.

shakermaker1982
04/06/2010, 12:44 PM
Rio crocked already.....

John Terry and Ledley King vs any half decent striker with pace = massacre.

bennocelt
04/06/2010, 2:08 PM
Reporting on Yahoo news that Drogba is out injured. But yahoo news is usually unreliable and it is Drogba. He "hobbled off" with a elbow injury - WTF!!!!! Is he just messin again?

passinginterest
04/06/2010, 2:12 PM
It's being reported a good few places, including RTE, that it's a suspected fractured elbow and he's out of the tournamnent.

Sullivinho
04/06/2010, 2:36 PM
Saw it on SSN. Fell awkwardly with his arm underneath him. Didn't look like much at all, but it's a tournament-ending injury apparently.

Stuttgart88
04/06/2010, 3:24 PM
If club form is anything to go by the Dutch and Argentinian midfielders and attackers are on great form and they could be a real threat, if their defence and temperament is good enough. I read a good article recently saying that Maradona's mad selections weren't as mad as many reported (he was forced to play ludicrous friendlies so fielded well below-par teams for example) and I think they may be a threat.

I'm genuinely concerned about England, yet at the same time I think USA could beat them and Slovenia won't be pushovers. I think England will do to Algeria what Germany did to Saudi Arabia in 2002 though.

Spain weren't as invincible as their perfect record in qualifying suggests. Turkey should have beaten them and Belgium nearly drew with them. I think the draw pitches the better teams together early and that's why I think England will carve an unimpressive path to the latter stages.

Does anyone have

(a) a good WC calculator spreadsheet?
(b) a link you can download that puts all the fixtures into a Microsoft Outllok calendar?

Maybe you could pm me and I'll give you my email address.

bennocelt
04/06/2010, 3:45 PM
If club form is anything to go by the Dutch and Argentinian midfielders and attackers are on great form and they could be a real threat, if their defence and temperament is good enough. I read a good article recently saying that Maradona's mad selections weren't as mad as many reported (he was forced to play ludicrous friendlies so fielded well below-par teams for example) and I think they may be a threat.

Still doesnt explain his madness at leaving Cambiasso (WORLD CLASS), and Zanetti

Stuttgart88
04/06/2010, 3:58 PM
Yep, both surprised me. Do they have players of similar ability? Do they have a decent keeper?

Sullivinho
04/06/2010, 5:10 PM
Shocking exclusions in Zanetti and Cambiasso. Both big personalities (maybe that's the problem??) but more importantly, tremendous players. Zanetti is flawless, arguably the most consistent player in world football. Cambiasso and Mascherano in the center...try playing through that!

Keepers are average. Pozo, with the no. 1 shirt, is home-based. The other two are in Europe but hardly earning rave reviews.

I hear Maradona called up over 100 players during qualifying...

Regardless, I'll be happy to see them do well. Been my second team ever since I opened a Panini sticker book way back when and was transfixed by that smiley face in the middle of their flag :)

Stuttgart88
04/06/2010, 5:22 PM
Thanks.

It was the 100 players being called up that I was referring to above. Apparently their FA had committed to some daft friendlies against daft teams and Maradona's response was to call up lots of players who'd never feature again.

Stuttgart88
05/06/2010, 5:36 PM
Robben would be a bad loss for the Dutch.

Réiteoir
06/06/2010, 12:02 AM
Can't simply write Maradonna off so easily - iirc the last manager only managed to win 2 of their previous 7 Qualification games - Maradonna came in - and guided them to 4 wins in 8 - basically sending them to the finals single handidly.

Having seen them in recent games - the pieces seem to be fitting together nicely right at the correct time. Could well surprise a few

Stuttgart88
06/06/2010, 8:44 AM
Ossie Ardiles was scathing of Maradona in this morning's Sunday Telegraph, mainly on the issue of Zanetti, Cambiasso and also Riquelme, and playing Gutierrez at right back. But I tend to think Reiteoir is right. There's still a lot of attacking merit in this team.

I think the style of refereeing in big tournaments will continue to favour ball playing teams.

tetsujin1979
06/06/2010, 2:10 PM
Does anyone have

(b) a link you can download that puts all the fixtures into a Microsoft Outllok calendar?

(a)Don't have a spreadsheet, but there's an online one here: http://www.worldcupchart.com/
Click Yes if it gives a security warning

(b) download the iCal from here: http://www.worldcupkickoff.com/
Have it in my work calendar, and then sync'd it with my phone so all the fixtures are on my mobile calendar as well

Ciaran W
07/06/2010, 2:20 AM
I think that was the first time drogba ever went to ground by actually being hurt.

Sullivinho
07/06/2010, 1:27 PM
There could be some insane long distance goals in this one. Heard the Italians giving out stink about the new football during the week. They said it's highly unpredictable in the air and puts goalkeepers at a big disadvantage.

Ossie Ardiles was scathing of Maradona in this morning's Sunday Telegraph, mainly on the issue of Zanetti, Cambiasso and also Riquelme, and playing Gutierrez at right back.

Ossie is on the RTE panel for the WC. Probably for the Argentina games. It'd be great if Dunphy was a fan of Maradona's management, just for the argument that would ensue.

I think that was the first time drogba ever went to ground by actually being hurt.

The look on his face after suggested a ruptured funny bone.

elroy
07/06/2010, 1:43 PM
Does anyone have

Maybe you could pm me and I'll give you my email address.

Yip have both, in my work email though, will PM to you tomorrow.

Kingdom
09/06/2010, 7:36 AM
Spain have so much expectation behind them I would worry that could be their downfall. A couple of the European teams that I think will do well are Denmark and Serbia. Both teams were pretty good in qualifying, Denmark especially in what was a tricky group. The clamour behind Holland I don't necessarily understand , they were in by far the weakest European qualifying group, their defence I reckon is substandard, and their squad overall isn't as good as previous Dutch squads.

Serbia I really think will do well. Sure they're in a tough group, but they are extremely efficient, and I think they can make the quarters at least.

Both Serbia and Denamrk are decent odds to make the quarter final stages with PP

stann
10/06/2010, 8:23 AM
There's always one, so will predict the surprise package in the QFs to be South Korea. Otherwise Holland, Brazil, England, Germany, Argentina, Italy, Spain.
Uruguay to top group A (France to limp into knockouts but fall to the Argies), only to be stunned by the plucky SKs. That would put them against the English (if they can get by the Serbs), with a repeat feat beyond them, and so the semis will be Brazil v England, Spain v Argentina.
Mad Diego to finally let his stellar side down, Brazil v Spain final, not going to call that TBH, but football the winner yadda yadda...

Ciaran W
10/06/2010, 6:49 PM
Thank god, the world cup is finally here :o

Ciaran W
10/06/2010, 6:52 PM
Thank god, the world cup is finally here :o a whole month of solid football :) what more could you ask for :D

Noelys Guitar
10/06/2010, 8:44 PM
I fancy Slovakia to get out of there group and possibly make the quarter finals. Very underrated team in my opinion. Greece to do well again playing horrible football and another I feel might get to the quarters. I feel Brazil will win the thing outright against either Germany (who will not miss Ballack) or Portugal.

passinginterest
10/06/2010, 9:33 PM
I'm going to stand by my prediction of England not to get out of group and I think the USA will beat them. My other surprise packet is Serbia going all the way to the semi's and Brazil to beat Germany in the final.

Ciaran W
10/06/2010, 10:09 PM
Passinginterest, i really hope your right about england not getting out of their group :)

Sullivinho
10/06/2010, 10:23 PM
I'm going to stand by my prediction of England not to get out of group and I think the USA will beat them. My other surprise packet is Serbia going all the way to the semi's and Brazil to beat Germany in the final.

I fancy the US to give them a scare alright. A draw wouldn't go down well, nevermind a defeat.

The Serbs were phenomenal in some of their qualifying games, an absolutely ruthless team when they click.

Less than a day to go. :D

Sullivinho
10/06/2010, 10:33 PM
Passinginterest, i really hope your right about england not getting out of their group :)

I'm fairly indifferent to England's fortunes but the vindictive part of me hopes France get mauled by someone, utterly violated by a superior force.

Edit: Heard on SSN the players are supposedly petitioning their cuckold boss for Henry to start.

Ciaran W
11/06/2010, 2:20 PM
South africa started badly, Amazing atmosphere though

Sullivinho
11/06/2010, 2:53 PM
Those vuvuzelas don't half add to that atmosphere, what an incredible racket. :D

Ciaran W
11/06/2010, 2:56 PM
There a bit annoying but suppose its part of having the world cup in south africa

Ciaran W
11/06/2010, 3:17 PM
South africa !! What a finish :D

Sullivinho
11/06/2010, 3:30 PM
The 76 year old Blanco to replace Franco surely? Couldn't do any worse.