PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Out!

Weatherman
01/06/2010, 10:24 AM
Think its gone beyond a joke at this stage, losing 6-0 to the rivals then 5-1 up in sligo and throwing away a 2 goal lead against a managerless sinking ship that is know as Drogheda United. Bray need a new face to come in with new idea's. Experienced managers such as Keely and Rico are hanging about waiting for a job, now i wouldnt think Rico would take it but what would the harm be in bringing in Keely or anybody else for that matter? Its seems that some people at the club are afraid of change but not all change is bad!

KK77
01/06/2010, 11:22 AM
Think its gone beyond a joke at this stage, losing 6-0 to the rivals then 5-1 up in sligo and throwing away a 2 goal lead against a managerless sinking ship that is know as Drogheda United. Bray need a new face to come in with new idea's. Experienced managers such as Keely and Rico are hanging about waiting for a job, now i wouldnt think Rico would take it but what would the harm be in bringing in Keely or anybody else for that matter? Its seems that some people at the club are afraid of change but not all change is bad!

Valid point. You only have to look at Drogheda to see that.

Schumi
01/06/2010, 11:47 AM
Experienced managers such as Keely and Rico are hanging about waiting for a job, now i wouldnt think Rico would take it but what would the harm be in bringing in Keely or anybody else for that matter?

Keely's staying with Shels in another role AFAIK. No offense to Bray fans but I can't see too many people looking for the job, it looks like something of a no-win situation.

outspoken
01/06/2010, 12:00 PM
I think ye are being slightly unfair towards Gormley. Yes the results have been terrible but you have a first division outfit playing in the Premier and that was never going to go well for ye.

I think that Gormleys done alot for your club and his future should be left up to him. I think he deserves to the end of the season and after that he should decide whether to rebuild or move on.

Hes certainty a good manager and theres alot of clubs that would have him.

SupaJon
01/06/2010, 12:01 PM
No offense to Bray fans but I can't see too many people looking for the job, it looks like something of a no-win situation.

No offense taken.

You're right though - not many people would be interested in taking the job.
This season was always going to be an uphill struggle and luck certainly hasn't been on our side at times.

But we do have some good players.
Might be worth leaving Eddie in place til next season.
Chances are we'll be in Div I and at least the team (if we can hold on the most of the squad) will have had the year to play together and mount a good challenge for promotion straight back up.

Weatherman
01/06/2010, 1:07 PM
I think ye are being slightly unfair towards Gormley. Yes the results have been terrible but you have a first division outfit playing in the Premier and that was never going to go well for ye.

I think that Gormleys done alot for your club and his future should be left up to him. I think he deserves to the end of the season and after that he should decide whether to rebuild or move on.

Yeah but you could say UCD also have a 1st division squad but look at what some good management and encouragement can do! yeah Eddie has done alot for Bray but that doesnt mean he deserves till the end of the season? IMO he's not a good manager, too many times he's got things wrong, picking the wrong players, tactics and these have been proven in the results. Whats the point in thinks bout mounting a challenge in the 1st next year? yeah chances are bray will get relegated but why not take a risk on a new manger n who knows maybe climb up the table under the new management???

SupaJon
01/06/2010, 1:26 PM
Yeah...we might - but then again we might not.
Eddie might turn things around - but then again.....

Changing the manager halfway through the season doesn't always bring about a change in fortunes.

Given the squad we have, do you really see anyone else getting us out of the position we're in?

Apologies for sounding defeatist, but I'd be inclined to stick with what we've got and plan for next season.

/my2cents

pineapple stu
01/06/2010, 1:55 PM
Yeah but you could say UCD also have a 1st division squad
No you couldn't. We had a First Division squad last year maybe, but we're a year further down the line than ye if nothing else. A year extra experience - positive (winning) experience at that, in an environment where you could make mistakes - makes a big difference. (Not to mention that we won the A League in 2008, so our youth players were better than yours to begin with).

KK77
01/06/2010, 2:26 PM
Yeah...we might - but then again we might not.
Eddie might turn things around - but then again.....

Changing the manager halfway through the season doesn't always bring about a change in fortunes.

Given the squad we have, do you really see anyone else getting us out of the position we're in?

Apologies for sounding defeatist, but I'd be inclined to stick with what we've got and plan for next season.
/my2cents

Yet certain other people (not you) will tell us that other managers in other leagues need to go during a season so the club could plan for next season etc etc but with Bray it's we should stick with Eddie because what can he do with the players he has. Load of bull and anyone who sees Bray week in week out and thinks a new man couldn't get more out of the players are off their rocker. Getting beaten as we are and turning in performances like we have been are not down totally to the squad we have. It's plain as day Eddie has lost the players and should do the honourable thing and step aside.

KK77
01/06/2010, 2:32 PM
No you couldn't. We had a First Division squad last year maybe, but we're a year further down the line than ye if nothing else. A year extra experience - positive (winning) experience at that, in an environment where you could make mistakes - makes a big difference. (Not to mention that we won the A League in 2008, so our youth players were better than yours to begin with).

Totally disagree. You have a first division squad compared to the other squads in the league. The difference is you have a manager and staff who play football the right way and also he is getting the best out of the players. You think Gormley would have you in the same position you are now?

SupaJon
01/06/2010, 2:39 PM
Yet certain other people (not you) will tell us that other managers in other leagues need to go during a season so the club could plan for next season etc etc but with Bray it's we should stick with Eddie because what can he do with the players he has. Load of bull and anyone who sees Bray week in week out and thinks a new man couldn't get more out of the players are off their rocker. Getting beaten as we are and turning in performances like we have been are not down totally to the squad we have. It's plain as day Eddie has lost the players and should do the honourable thing and step aside.

Maybe you're right Rafa.
That's only my opinion though.

And, true, I've only started going to matches this season, so the rest of you on this thread undoubtedly have a greater knowledge of the team and stuff than I do.

So, if you'd like a change in manager who would you appoint?

KK77
01/06/2010, 2:46 PM
Maybe you're right Rafa.
That's only my opinion though.

And, true, I've only started going to matches this season, so the rest of you on this thread undoubtedly have a greater knowledge of the team and stuff than I do.

So, if you'd like a change in manager who would you appoint?

Not saying i am right just my opinion.

As regards the old chestnut who is out there to appoint that would work on Eddie's wage lets be honest it's just another excuse for not letting Eddie go. The likes of Richardson, Collins are out there and who's to say they would't do it on Eddie's wages???? If you don't ask you don't get. Both love the game and am sure would consider it. Sure what have they to lose?? Pat Dolan might also be another one to ask. We live in different times so one of the three if not all might well consider it.

Weatherman
01/06/2010, 2:57 PM
I agree with you Rafa! Eddie has lost the players and its about time he did step aside before things get worse especially tonight! i can see Bohs getting into double figures. Eddie doesnt even encourage the players, he borderline abuses them being honest. And watch when Bray are losing by 2 goals, he hides in the dug out and sends out Longer to bark the orders.

Supajon, "Changing the manager halfway through the season doesn't always bring about a change in fortunes" but why not take a risk on it and at least have a go at it?? It really is beyond a joke at this stage and whoever thinks he should stay really needs to pull the wool from over their eyes.

SupaJon
01/06/2010, 3:05 PM
Supajon, "Changing the manager halfway through the season doesn't always bring about a change in fortunes" but why not take a risk on it and at least have a go at it?? It really is beyond a joke at this stage and whoever thinks he should stay really needs to pull the wool from over their eyes.

I can't really answer that.

What I was worried about was if there was no improvement and we continue the way we are for the 2nd half with a new guy in charge.
Then what for next season?
Would Eddie or "the new guy" be the better option to lead us back up?

Weatherman
01/06/2010, 3:11 PM
I can't really answer that.

What I was worried about was if there was no improvement and we continue the way we are for the 2nd half with a new guy in charge.
Then what for next season?
Would Eddie or "the new guy" be the better option to lead us back up?

Yeah but if Bray are playing bad now for Eddie they will continue to do so untill the end of the season, so it would be worth the risk to appoint somebody else in the hope that he could change it around. IMO the 1st division is getting stronger every year and would you really like Eddie to be in charge next seaon down therte aswell??? seriously?

SupaJon
01/06/2010, 3:18 PM
would you really like Eddie to be in charge next seaon down therte aswell??? seriously?

I've only started going to matches this season (a recently converted barstooler) so I don't want to judge Eddie just on the first half of this season alone.
I sure don't have the right to waltz into the Carlisle, watch a handfull of matches and then call for the managers head.

So to be honest, I don't know who would be best to lead us back up next season.

And I think we'll do better than most people think tonight against Bohs.

Guitd
01/06/2010, 3:18 PM
ye might not be relegated if a change comes in league structure for next season ,we might have a 14/16 team preimer with 2 regional lower divisions for next season,hang in there with \eaddie

SupaJon
01/06/2010, 3:20 PM
ye might not be relegated if a change comes in league structure for next season ,we might have a 14/16 team preimer with 2 regional lower divisions for next season,hang in there with \eaddie

What are the chances of that happening?

(We really would be "the team they couldn't relegate!" if that happened.)

Weatherman
01/06/2010, 3:23 PM
I've only started going to matches this season (a recently converted barstooler) so I don't want to judge Eddie just on the first half of this season alone.
I sure don't have the right to waltz into the Carlisle, watch a handfull of matches and then call for the managers head.

If your a paying supporter then of course its your right to call for a managers head, especially if he's not getting your team to perform to their maximum ability, Managers come and go but the supporters will always be there, some people down the carlisle need to realise this!

Bry Boy
01/06/2010, 3:40 PM
If I hear that we are a first devison squad again . GOD

ok where do i start
shields, tresson, franco ,massey , tyrell, kelly, mark obrien, baker, robbie doyle, brennan , shane oneill ????????
yes ok we dont have a premierre keeper and a few of the lads i have mentioned are geting older, but that is not a
FIRST DEVISION TEAM.
maybee if he played franco we mite bag a few more goals.
and lets not forget the team we had last year the majority playing with top premierre clubs and eddie had them religated ????
he is a very good man but its time now.

pineapple stu
01/06/2010, 3:51 PM
Totally disagree. You have a first division squad compared to the other squads in the league. The difference is you have a manager and staff who play football the right way and also he is getting the best out of the players. You think Gormley would have you in the same position you are now?
I don't for one second think that the difference between us and ye is Rusty and nothing else. You're being very dismissive of the quality of a lot of our players. As I mentioned, we're a year ahead of you in development for a start, which makes a massive difference in terms of player development. We've also got players in the U-19 and U-23 squds at present, which Bray don't have.

peadar1987
01/06/2010, 4:04 PM
If I hear that we are a first devison squad again . GOD

ok where do i start
shields, tresson, franco ,massey , tyrell, kelly, mark obrien, baker, robbie doyle, brennan , shane oneill ????????
yes ok we dont have a premierre keeper and a few of the lads i have mentioned are geting older, but that is not a
FIRST DEVISION TEAM.
maybee if he played franco we mite bag a few more goals.
and lets not forget the team we had last year the majority playing with top premierre clubs and eddie had them religated ????
he is a very good man but its time now.

The problem is we have no Premier division players in key positions, most importantly the centre of the defence. That has implications the entire way through the team. I could also be happier with the balance of our attacking options, even if the individual players are good.

Captain2007
01/06/2010, 5:08 PM
I posted on here a month ago regarding Eddie's position and I stand by what I said then, managing Bray is a poison chalice, I would not be a fan of Eddie in fact IMO he is a poor Manager, but he is definately a top class coach unfortunately good coaches don't necessarily make good managers,like many posters here that attend all home and away fixtures some of his tactical and management decisions have to be called in to question.No point in blaming the players the buck stops with the manager ask Alan Matthews.
How he has not signed an experienced keeper on loan just beggars belief, Matt Gregg/Dan Connor/Skippy all not playing first team football.

Schumi
01/06/2010, 5:40 PM

In fairness, we have a First Division winning squad which is something a little different from a run of the mill First Division squad. They've also played together for a full year, had we started last year in the premier I think we would have struggled.

Gormley probably wouldn't have us where we are now and I think Martin Russel has been brilliant for us, this year and last year but I don't think we'd be bottom of the table conceding 5 or 6 goals with this squad either.

Whether Bray change their manager or not is none of my business and I'm not going to give out to anyone for wanting rid of him. I just don't know if it would help all that much.

Eoingull
01/06/2010, 11:38 PM
Sorry chaps, I can't agree with the sentiment on this thread. We've been here before in recent years...2002/03, 2006, 2009...and (sadly) we'll probably be here again in the future. Eddie has earned the right to see this through to the end. Most seasons he has had to put together an almost wholly new squad. Look at the crowds we get, and the absolute apathy around the town. The club can only work within it's very limited resources. If we finish above Drogheda and win the play-off, all of the pain will be forgotten.

pineapple stu
02/06/2010, 8:58 AM
How he has not signed an experienced keeper on loan just beggars belief, Matt Gregg/Dan Connor/Skippy all not playing first team football.
You know for a fact there's money available for new signings, yeah?

And you expect them to be signed outside the transfer window?

Roo69
02/06/2010, 10:30 AM
I might as well have my say since your all at it :)

Firstly, how can Eddie sign players outside the transfer Window? If your going to have a pop at him over that then at least know the rules of the game. Most people would already know that he did try bring in an experienced keeper in the very short time he had to sign players but could not find one available. I know from talking to players and people involved that there was a fair few players would have signed for Bray had they known they would be in the Premier Division, they had all signed for clubs before the Bray decision was made.

On the UCD point - i personally don't think there is a massive difference between both of our squads but the main difference is that they play as a TEAM, the young lads they have in the squad want to listen and learn the game, they all play for eachother and as a unit. They are extremely well organised, which is a huge plus in this league. Simple fact is that they listen to their manager and there manager knows the game of football. They are a good side with players in both the U19 and U23 Irish sides at the moment.

Someone mentioned above a list of Bray players names - shields, tresson, franco ,massey , tyrell, kelly, mark obrien, baker, robbie doyle, brennan , shane oneill - Bar maybe 3 or 4 at a big push of those players are Premier standard, but the standard at the botom of the League - not one of our players from this years squad would get in a top of the division sides squad, the rest are 1st division standard, some would struggle in the first division.

I personally feel the club do the best they can, we get little or no support from the town, it's a tough fight season after season and things are not going to change anytime soon until we start to get the support we deserve.

outspoken
02/06/2010, 1:10 PM
Yeah but you could say UCD also have a 1st division squad

I dont think UCD are anything near a 1st division side , Bolger , Kilduff , Mcmillian dont exactly sound like 1st Division players to me.

nf08
03/06/2010, 5:49 PM
Sorry chaps, I can't agree with the sentiment on this thread. We've been here before in recent years...2002/03, 2006, 2009...and (sadly) we'll probably be here again in the future. Eddie has earned the right to see this through to the end. Most seasons he has had to put together an almost wholly new squad. Look at the crowds we get, and the absolute apathy around the town. The club can only work within it's very limited resources. If we finish above Drogheda and win the play-off, all of the pain will be forgotten.

The Pain of losing 1-5 to sligo and the pain of losing 6 ****ing 0 at home to udc. My PAIN WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN . I will be happy but it will not be forgotten !!

.FTA.

Weatherman
03/06/2010, 10:11 PM
I really dont understand? In what way has Eddie deserved to be in charge untill the end of the year??