PDA

View Full Version : Airtricity League clubs vote unanimously in favour of FAI stewardship

Mr A
31/05/2010, 11:16 AM
Linky (http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php/about/press-office/2112-airtricity-league-clubs-vote-unanimously-in-favour-of-fai-stewardship) for full article.

The Football Association of Ireland today (May 31) announced that all 22 Airtricity League clubs have now completed a vote on whether they wish to renew the merger agreement with the FAI when it expires post 2011.

The vote, which was carried unanimously by all participating clubs, was in favour of remaining under the stewardship of the FAI. The unanimous yes vote is a strong endorsement from clubs of the improvements in standards, governance and funding that have occurred since the FAI took over the running of the Airtricity League in 2007.

Not unexpected.

Mr A
31/05/2010, 11:23 AM
One of the interesting bits from the story:

Successful implementation of the 65% salary cost protocol

....is listed as an achievement. Does anybody believe that Cork City or Derry City under their previous regimes were under the 65% limit? Derry were kicked out specifically for measures designed to avoid it and I'm pretty sure that under Coughlan Cork were well over the limit. OK, it's probably been a good thing in general and I appreciate these press releases must be made to sound positive, but I'd like to see more progress in implementing the rule evenly and effectively across all clubs and some recognition that there is a way to go.

pineapple stu
31/05/2010, 11:30 AM
It's easy to get drawn in to slagging what the FAI will say about themselves. They mention a E5m annual investment plus a national highlights show, which I'm pretty sure is double counting.

Macy
31/05/2010, 11:32 AM
It's easy to get drawn in to slagging what the FAI will say about themselves. They mention a E5m annual investment plus a national highlights show, which I'm pretty sure is double counting.
Well yes, it is very easy when they publish such rubbish as "The unanimous yes vote is a strong endorsement from clubs of the improvements in standards, governance and funding that have occurred since the FAI took over the running of the Airtricity League in 2007".

osarusan
31/05/2010, 11:56 AM
In fairness, what else would you (plural) expect in a statement from any organisation in this position (not just the FAI)? The statement is going to be full of positives which may not stand up to the scrutiny of those who know the situation well, but will be nice reading for those who don't.

No surprise it was a unanimous vote, and not bad news either. If the FAI really are concerned about improving the league, there are plenty of mistakes (their own and others) from which they can learn.

MariborKev
31/05/2010, 11:57 AM
Whilst the clubs may have approved it, there is a detailed list of points that the clubs want "clarification" and/or discussions on.

Buile Shuibhne
31/05/2010, 11:59 AM
Limerick also gave the FAI the vote of confidence.

Buile Shuibhne
31/05/2010, 12:00 PM
Whilst the clubs may have approved it, there is a detailed list of points that the clubs want "clarification" and/or discussions on.

Is this list available / published?

MariborKev
31/05/2010, 12:02 PM
Not that I know of.

pineapple stu
31/05/2010, 12:05 PM
In fairness, what else would you (plural) expect in a statement from any organisation in this position (not just the FAI)? The statement is going to be full of positives which may not stand up to the scrutiny of those who know the situation well, but will be nice reading for those who don't.
Yeah, I know. It's just so damned easy our way...

Macy
31/05/2010, 12:42 PM
I don't disagree, but it's our responsibility to highlight the bull, for the uninformed and/or the lazy journalists who might visit here for a story.

Lim till i die
31/05/2010, 1:03 PM
Does anybody believe that Cork City or Derry City under their previous regimes were under the 65% limit?

Does anybody believe that there aren't clubs this minute, over the 65% limit??

The Football Association of Ireland today (May 31) announced that all 22 Airtricity League clubs have now completed a vote on whether they wish to renew the merger agreement with the FAI when it expires post 2011.
The vote, which was carried unanimously by all participating clubs,

Limerick also gave the FAI the vote of confidence.

http://strategicdc.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/detective.jpg

Charlie Darwin
31/05/2010, 4:04 PM
One of the interesting bits from the story:

....is listed as an achievement. Does anybody believe that Cork City or Derry City under their previous regimes were under the 65% limit? Derry were kicked out specifically for measures designed to avoid it and I'm pretty sure that under Coughlan Cork were well over the limit. OK, it's probably been a good thing in general and I appreciate these press releases must be made to sound positive, but I'd like to see more progress in implementing the rule evenly and effectively across all clubs and some recognition that there is a way to go.
Surely the fact they were relegated for violating the rule counts as successful implementation?

This isn't really a surprise. The clubs are all financially savvy enough to know the FAI is their best bet at the moment. Good to see they're seeking clarification on important issues - poor communication (emanating mainly from the FAI) seems to be the root of a lot of current problems and it will be no harm to force more transparency from them.

osarusan
31/05/2010, 4:15 PM
Surely the fact they were relegated for violating the rule counts as successful implementation?
I'm open to correction on this but as far as I recall - Derry were kicked out for financial irregularities - that Derry is now defunct and the club in division 1 is a different Derry (technically at least) who bought the name from the old company. Cork City Foras are a new club set up after Cork City failed to get a licence from the independent licencing board.

There's no doubt that the FAI played a role in the demise of both clubs, but neither were actually relegated.

pineapple stu
31/05/2010, 4:39 PM
The point of the 65% rule isn't to punish clubs who have spent too much, it's to stop clubs from killing themselves from spending too much. So the damage was done by the time the FAI stepped in (Derry were broke), which defeats the point.

Charlie Darwin
31/05/2010, 4:59 PM
You're both right - I got confused by the original point. However, Derry were expelled for committing fraud in order to circumvent the 65% cap, so the club were punished as a direct result of their attempt to breach the rules. Derry would have gone under anyway because they'd adopted a kamikaze financial model but the league took the correct course of action. Cork is obviously different - I shouldn't have conflated the two.

OneRedArmy
31/05/2010, 5:06 PM
Whilst the clubs may have approved it, there is a detailed list of points that the clubs want "clarification" and/or discussions on.Who signs a contract and then asks for clarification?!

gufcfan
31/05/2010, 5:39 PM
Who signs a contract and then asks for clarification?!
Someone with no other offer on the table.

Spudulika
31/05/2010, 8:17 PM
I'm surprised and not surprised by this. The FAI have made sure they're the only game in town. They got their buddies in the media to destroy P1, they went all out to play to the fans by doing what they had to do to get everyone onside. More importantly clubs are desperate for money and as a result they have to sign up. The "clarification" stuff seems like nonsense. Just a way for clubs to pretend they're flexing flab!

Riddickcule
31/05/2010, 8:29 PM
Not happy about this, E5million is nowhere near enough money to stimulate a professional league. The Fai have too much on their plate. Looks like the LOI will continue and always will be a jokeshop. sigh.

osarusan
31/05/2010, 8:36 PM
Yeah, it's a shame the clubs turned their back on all the other organisations willing to pump dozens of millions into the league.

MariborKev
31/05/2010, 9:27 PM
They got their buddies in the media to destroy P1, they went all out to play to the fans by doing what they had to do to get everyone onside. !

At the end of the day, the clubs had the chance to speak up for the P1 proposal and didn't.

fieldofmarkets
31/05/2010, 10:25 PM
Another press release which came out from the FAI today to go with the unanimous vote....grow your club doesn't include a full Thomond Park to see Barecelona to bring in "potential fans". The timing of this is very cynical.

http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php/about/press-office/2111-fai-publish-grow-your-club-guide

osarusan
31/05/2010, 10:31 PM
02. Make sure that powder-based drinks such as hot chocolate are served correctly stirred.

In fairness, there's a decent amount of detail in it, even if much of it is obvious, but that line just stood out for me!

Magicme
31/05/2010, 10:35 PM
Another press release which came out from the FAI today to go with the unanimous vote....grow your club doesn't include a full Thomond Park to see Barecelona to bring in "potential fans". The timing of this is very cynical.

http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php/about/press-office/2111-fai-publish-grow-your-club-guide

Quit with the paranoia, this has been worked on for some time now and went to the publishers late last week so it is now ready for launch. Nothing cynical in it at all.

Osarusan, you would be surprised at the little things that tick people off at games and quite often the badly stirred hot chocolate can be the final straw!

Charlie Darwin
31/05/2010, 10:37 PM
Clubs have gone under over less than adequately stirred drinks. Lives have been lost.

Quit with the paranoia, this has been worked on for some time now and went to the publishers late last week so it is now ready for launch. Nothing cynical in it at all.
Ah, it is a bit well-timed. Goes to show that they can put things like this together pretty quickly when they feel like it though.

osarusan
31/05/2010, 10:38 PM
Osarusan, you would be surprised at the little things that tick people off at games and quite often the badly stirred hot chocolate can be the final straw!

At Limerick we've solved this problem by not serving any.

Will you be at the EA game tomorrow?

Magicme
31/05/2010, 10:41 PM
At Limerick we've solved this problem by not serving any.

Will you be at the EA game tomorrow?

Dam right Osarusan, but I will demand a cup of black coffee, with 1 & 1/2 spoons of coffee, no sugar but stirred clockwise 5 times. I will need at least 4 of these as I have to drive home afterwards and need to be kept awake.

MariborKev
31/05/2010, 10:43 PM
Ah, it is a bit well-timed. Goes to show that they can put things like this together pretty quickly when they feel like it though.

Catch yerself on. This took a fair while to do, starting at the start of the last season with the "mystery fans" visting the grounds.

osarusan
31/05/2010, 10:45 PM
In fairness, this has been in the works for a while now. Apart from Gavin's ugly mug first up, it's not a bad document.

EDIT: As Maribor Kev said. Apart from the second sentence.

Spudulika
31/05/2010, 10:52 PM
Osarusan and Mariborkev, agreed it's the clubs fault for not having the bottle, or confidence to go for it. I'm sure they were told if they did they'd be drummed out of all competitions and not eligible for UEFA monies - which was one of the threats used against them. I was hoping that after the Limerick debacle the clubs would have done something, though speaking with some folks from Rovers and SFFC it was clear they were going to keep on keeping on. If the FAI could pump in more money, but appoint professionals to oversee the clubs, then it would make sense. As it stands they can't put more money in - as it was already mentioned, there is a question mark over the 65% rule being obeyed.

osarusan
31/05/2010, 11:00 PM
Osarusan and Mariborkev, agreed it's the clubs fault for not having the bottle, or confidence to go for it.

Go for what? P1?

fieldofmarkets
31/05/2010, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=Magicme;1364259]Quit with the paranoia, this has been worked on for some time now and went to the publishers late last week so it is now ready for launch. Nothing cynical in it at all.

Magicme, don't think you should be assuming paranoia at all. Releasing a document like this...which should be a positive thing, will serve to gall plenty of Limerick fans. Holding on to the release a little longer and spoiling some cups of hot chocolate might have been a little more sensible.

MariborKev
31/05/2010, 11:24 PM
Magicme, don't think you should be assuming paranoia at all. Releasing a document like this...which should be a positive thing, will serve to gall plenty of Limerick fans. Holding on to the release a little longer and spoiling some cups of hot chocolate might have been a little more sensible.

FOM,

Limerick would have had a draft of this, and had the timeline for release, before the United controversy.

fieldofmarkets
31/05/2010, 11:39 PM
not sure what difference that makes really. I think this is poorly timed, I guess we'll just have to disagree.

MariborKev
31/05/2010, 11:47 PM
not sure what difference that makes really. I think this is poorly timed, I guess we'll just have to disagree.

Yeah, I can understand the hurt if I was a Limerick fan and next thing a "Grow your Club" guide came out.

My only comment is that if it had been held for a few weeks/months then you would have people going "What is the point releasing it now, season is nearly over."

OneRedArmy
01/06/2010, 9:34 AM
Catch yerself on. This took a fair while to do, starting at the start of the last season with the "mystery fans" visting the grounds.Are they the same mystery fans that crop up in the attendence thread with alarming regularity.......?

Magicme
01/06/2010, 10:06 AM
Sorry FOM if I have wound you up a little but there really is nothing sinister behind the release of this doc, as Kev said this was the planned week for it for some time and holding off would only have made things look suspicious. Whatever mistakes or perceived mistakes were made in the Barca thing, the FAI have to move on and get on with the real work which is supporting football at all levels in this country to the best of their ability and this document gives clubs a tool to work on fixing things that need fixing this year and planning for bigger things next year.

The timing in my opinion is perfect as there is the 2 week break from football to look through it and assess what needs to be done and start implementing changes after the break.

By the way, I, like the other CPO's contributed to this booklet and we worked closely with some great people who have a lot of knowledge on this subject so this is by no means a clumped together piece of work, it is a well thought out strategy for the growth of the league and whilst some things are a bit whimsical or common sense, sometimes you need to see things like this in black and white to start changing what happens in our grounds week in week out.

Sorry for the rant, I have just had some chocolate and coffee so am raring to go! :D

Macy
01/06/2010, 10:21 AM
I don't think the timing is dodgy, but it does highlight the hypocracy of the FAI, just a few weeks after they blocked the Limerick friendly. I'd hope amongst the list of clarifications is to see this mystery 3rd Party agreement. "We'll pretend to help you grow, but don't get too ambitious or we'll smack you down"

Spudulika
01/06/2010, 11:17 AM
Yes and no, go for an alternative or at least have the FAI held completely answerable. Everything just seemed so rushed and without a scrap. After Limerick I'd have thought there'd be a war.

Lim till i die
01/06/2010, 1:06 PM
The timing is poor because it's the mid way point of the season, any even half professional organisation would have these out around New Years time.

It's all moot anyway since any club looking to the FAI for guidance or that thinks Noel Mooney has the answer to anything, is in deep, deep, trouble either way.