PDA

View Full Version : Dolan admits we need to be more physical

Colm
08/04/2004, 12:44 PM
We must not shirk in physical stakes - Dolan

After watching his side outbattled by Waterford United in Tuesday evening’s Munster derby at Turners Cross, Cork City manager Pat Dolan insists his players must not shirk away from key physical encounters.

Attack-minded City enjoyed a lightning start to the game, scoring through Kevin Doyle after less than 20 seconds, and they took the lead for the second time in the opening quarter when left back Danny Murphy opened his account for the club with a 23rd-minute free kick.

However, not for the first time this season, City were found wanting in the defensive stakes, conceding two more goals before half-time as the visitors claimed a stunning 3-2 win.

Cork and bottom side Dublin City now hold the joint-worst defensive records in the division, each having conceded seven goals in their four games, and Dolan wants his side to contest the 50-50 balls with more alacrity than they have been doing to date.

He said: "While I cannot fault the players for their effort, there are a couple of areas we need to improve on. We have yet to keep a clean sheet and I’m not totally happy with how we’re competing physically. We are more creative than we were last year but we have to get the balance right."

eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com)

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 12:48 PM
whats his solution?turn into a team of thugs like waterTURD?only way city can beef up is to sign players(when transfer window is open) who are big ol'bastárds really.

tiktok
08/04/2004, 12:49 PM
i'm actually reassured that he's admitted that instead of ranting.

the thing is will he back it up with the inclusion of Bennett, greg and possibly Woods. for the record though I wouldn't think we'd need to make huge changes against Pat's, they're about as physical as we are at the moment, should be a good game with a bit of football to watch.

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 12:51 PM
greg has to return-at RB until hoggy is fit.wit danny m and greg in the same team we've two mental full backs