PDA

View Full Version : Knee jerk reactions.... relax lads it's early days yet

Colm
07/04/2004, 11:58 PM
Firstly, let me say that I'd love if we had 12 points in the bag by now and I was as dissappointed and ****ed off as any of ye after last nights game but we need to put things into perspective.

I said that people shouldn't have been building their hopes up before the season started (third or maybe second is realistically the highest we'll finish this season) because I knew that if things went slightly wrong we'd have people losing all belief in ourselves. We've lost two games, it's no big deal there are still 32 more to go but yet we still have people who all of a sudden think that Dolan's a crap manager and that all our players are useless. It's ridculous, we will bounce back and people should be getting behind Dolan and the lads instead of moaning. If we're still midtable at the end of the season then ye'll have reason to critisise but for the moment give it a rest. We've been very unlucky so far but that won't continue, it's early days. Let's try and be positive we've got two big game this weekend and we need to be fully behind the team.

A face
08/04/2004, 12:47 AM
I know .... to be honest, if we finish in the top half this season i wouldn't mind, just as long as we are looking in better shape for the following year.

What is ticking me off is the performance that was put in the other night. Way below parr .... it was as if some of the players weren't at the races.

Takes time ... i know ... roll on Friday !!

niamh
08/04/2004, 9:01 AM
Colm, we've been playing like this since Dolan took over. We have a very talented squad, he has got to take credit for a lot of that, but the team is still inconsistant. We are never going to win anything unless we start winning on the road and make Turners Cross a fortress and at the end of the day, the buck stops with the man in charge.
What's worse, knowing you have no chance or knowing you did and your team just can't get their act together and do it?
The reason people are on Dolan's back already is because it is a continuation of last season's form. It's not good enough, but I don't advocate a new manager or anything of the like.

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 10:17 AM
pats r apparently in sh!t too also,win there would sorta springboard the start of our season,tho $h€l$ will be a stern test

TheNorthsider
08/04/2004, 10:50 AM
when in gods name do you want to win the league colm 10 years time.I think what is ****ing people off is as niamh says we are just a continuation of last year from what we can see this year except we have more backround staff.Last year we had a problem in the centre of midfield this year we still have that problem and added to that we have defensive problems what did we do go out and buy more strikers.The solving of these problems comes down to the man in charge,when pats won their league titles their team was based around the big man paul osam in the middle and hawkins and mc guiness in the back,big men with a big physical pressence.At the moment one of them would improve cities problems.So he does know what is required why not do something about it.Dont start telling me not to over react colm,i have put up with city underachieving for too many years and am just fed up of it.Looking at waaaterford fans cheering the other nite cheering a team that on paper should have been played off the park by city is so hard to stomach,a waterford side that were better organised than city,organised by a man who is only a wet week in the job,where does that leave us.I as a city supporter demand success and will make no apology for that and will speak my mind and at the moment my mind is telling me that we have major problems in certain areas in the team,we are so predictable,tactically if we even have tactics and a manager who has all the wonderful vocabulary but isnt getting it right for us on the park.Nearly isn't good enough Pat enough of the bullsiht talk our language for once

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 10:54 AM
how does the abundance of backroom staff hinder on the pitch progress,one would assume it would only serve to aid cork city fc,and keep in line with whole uefa licensing crack

TheNorthsider
08/04/2004, 10:57 AM
would we not be better off getting rid of a few of them and bringing in a decent midfielder or centre half,what kind of money are they on.Its going to be the situation where there is no more room on the bench for subs.Is dolan not confident in himself that he needs all these people around.

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 12:23 PM
who do ppl suggest as that perfect midfielder?

City Hero
08/04/2004, 12:31 PM
We may have been outplayed physically & tactically in some of the games so far this season, but if you look at the league table (not our position, but the goals for & against), only Waterford have scored more than us (9); Shels & Bohs have scored the same as us (7), but we have conceeded the most goals (7). If we keep scoring at this rate & stop conceeding so many goals, the results will improve instantly. Hopefully the next 2 games will show a turn around.

I don't know if it is the solution, but I think Alan Bennett should be given a run at centre back instead of Willie Byrne. Maybe this last point needs a poll.

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 12:33 PM
Alan Bennett should be given a run at centre back instead of Willie Byrne.
byrne was impressive enough up in lungeforward.benno would be physical presence also,difficult to choose but im afraid to say benno is the best of a bad lot @ the mo :(

TheNorthsider
08/04/2004, 1:29 PM
cityboytilwedie just to clear things up ,i'm not calling for dolans head all i want is for him to stop his mind games and get down to managing the team and put us where we should be.

patsh
08/04/2004, 6:09 PM
Colm, the knee-jerk reactions are nothing of the sort.
I would say that the complaints over the last two days, are just an outpouring of the frustration at the way Dolan continues to bullsh*t on about passion, heart etc. etc., but when we needed players to get stuck in, show the passion and heart, where were they?
Stuck on the bench or in the stand, with no hope of being called into the game.
We do have a very good side, but certain players are being treated badly by Dolan, and they happened to be the very players most people think would have made a huge difference last Tuesday night.
I was never a fan of Derek, but I dearly wish he was on the field the other night. Along with Greg and Benno too.
There are a lot of games in the league where we need the likes of the 3 of them.

foureyes
08/04/2004, 6:16 PM
if i hear the phrase "we're building for next season" ONCE this time around, stick a fork in me - im done.

we've been "building" ever since dave barry left. its bull****. sure its still early days, but its an awful start to the season. Awful.

RedX
08/04/2004, 6:39 PM
I agree with Northsider.No one is calling for Pat Dolans head but we just want an improvement.I am sick of hearing this we can win it next year rubbish.This club has been underachieving for years.Remember Longford won the cup last year after a few years work and we should be bypassing them.I as a fan want sucess now.We need to win a trophy and stop all this "we have the potential sh*te"..

Also i agree with Patsh..its the likes of Derek and Greg who we missed the other night.I cant beleive Willie Byrne is in our team lads i really cant.Get Derek back and let him work at the airport.Hes got more heart than some of thoses players from the other night put together...

Éanna
09/04/2004, 10:48 AM
What's worse, knowing you have no chance or knowing you did and your team just can't get their act together and do it?
thats exactly it. we're so close to being an excellent team but its the same stupid mistakes every game that are costing us, and the manager has to sort that out. no-one is suggesting dolan should go, just that he needs to wake up and smell the coffee

Colm
09/04/2004, 11:39 AM
I was never a fan of Derek, but I dearly wish he was on the field the other night. Along with Greg and Benno too.
There are a lot of games in the league where we need the likes of the 3 of them.

I'm glad we're rid of Derek to be honest, anytime I spoke to the guy his attitude towards City was disgraceful and he always seemed to think he was far bigger than the club itself. he couldn't give a **** imo so we're better off without him.
I totally agree with you about Benno and to a lesser extent about Greg.

liamon
09/04/2004, 12:54 PM
I'm glad we're rid of Derek to be honest, anytime I spoke to the guy .... he couldn't give a **** imo ....
I don't really care about the off-filed b*tching. Who doesn't complain about work?
I think he is CCFC to the core. His displays on the pitch may not have been elegant, but he always tried his best for us. And when he won the league with a Jackeen club, he did say that he wished it could have been with City.
I hope he comes back and helps sort things out at the back.

niamh
10/04/2004, 10:25 AM
I agree. A player who wants to play for a club is always better than a full time just getting paid to do the job while wishing he was elsewhere.