PDA

View Full Version : Keely Steps Down.

Jofspring
27/05/2010, 10:24 PM
Dermot Keely has stepped down from Shels tonight.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0527/keelyd_shelbourne.html

osarusan
27/05/2010, 10:28 PM
Shels had seemed pretty poor in recent weeks, but he is definitely a LOI character. Good luck to him.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
27/05/2010, 10:39 PM
Who will get that job ?

blue til i die
27/05/2010, 10:44 PM
Who will get that job ?

Alan Mathews! though i expect gar cronin to stick his nose in too.

Dunny
27/05/2010, 10:44 PM
Collie O'Neill has stepped in for the moment.

Longfordian
27/05/2010, 11:35 PM
I'd put money on Mathews personally. Keely staying on in a reduced capacity is exactly what I'd expect if Alan is taking it they're pretty close friends as he is with lots of the Shels people. Depends on how the Ulster Bank view things though I guess. He's back there now after his career break and I'd imagine he's under the microscope given the number of redundancies they had to make not too long ago.

GalwayRed
27/05/2010, 11:37 PM
I think Dermot Keely deserves a lot of credit for taking over the club at the time he did. Not many people would have come near us but he took on the job and nearly had us promoted within two years which was a great achievement in itself. However, this should have happened at the end of last season and not now.

Dodge
27/05/2010, 11:40 PM
csfshels (at least I think it was him) posted this the day after mathews resigned.

Longfordian
28/05/2010, 12:12 AM
He's been Shels-bound for three years or so I reckon it was just a case of timing for all parties. He's not usually a man that would quit a job without having something else in mind if he was available for it.

Ezeikial
28/05/2010, 12:34 AM
Alan Matthews has been on a collision course since pre-season at Drogheda, when he and the club were on completely different budget agendas. On hindsight you could see the split coming. Once Matthews became available he was always likely to be a target for Shels. I doubt that the Ulster Bank situation is a stumbling block for him, as he re-commenced the job some time back and has been combining it with his part-time role at Drogheda.

I suspect that the deal is already done and was only dependent on Keely agreeing to step aside and take on a new role. I expect that Alan Matthews will be announced as the new Shelbourne manager within 48 hours

fionnsci
28/05/2010, 7:11 AM
I heard it's just to pave the way for Mourinho's arrival.

Ash
28/05/2010, 8:50 AM
Matthews to Shels and Scully to Drogs

Jofspring
28/05/2010, 9:21 AM
Matthews to Shels and Scully to Drogs

Doubt scully would be going anywhere. He is having a good season as a part of a club going in the right direction. has his eyes set on getting limerick promoted.

Mark
28/05/2010, 10:08 AM
Dermot Keely has stepped down from Shels tonight.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0527/keelyd_shelbourne.html

It was here first, last night.
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1531

I'd say Alan Mathews or John Gill will get it.

danthesaint
28/05/2010, 10:42 AM
one of the lads on our forum called this a few weeks ago, he said keely is a teacher i think and that he was stepping down anyway after the school year or sumtin along those lines.

he also said John Gill is to replace him, i hope that part isnt true

Mark
28/05/2010, 11:25 AM
Yes he's a school teacher. He's managed to balance the two for quite a while now. He's teaching in Dublin as far as I know but at one stage he was teaching in the midlands. My brother had to to interview him for radio and did the interview in a classroom!

The Betting Man
28/05/2010, 12:32 PM
Roddy for Shels :)

Spudulika
28/05/2010, 1:05 PM
I've great respect for Dermot, nice man and good company. Good luck to him. It's a good job to take on for a young ambitious coach, Pat Scully might be a bit too abrasive (no disrespect meant), Matthews is a good fit.

Ash
28/05/2010, 2:05 PM
Doubt scully would be going anywhere. He is having a good season as a part of a club going in the right direction. has his eyes set on getting limerick promoted.

Its just a rumour I heard a few weeks ago when I heard Keely was going to be moving to the youth setup and Matthew would be taking over there.

Lim till i die
28/05/2010, 2:43 PM
Why in the name of jaysus would Pat Scully leave Limerick for Drogheda or Shels?? :D

He's abrasive, not daft.

All moot anyway since I doubt Drogheda or Shels would have the cash for the compo.

Do Shels fans expect to see a drastic improvement when they move from Keely to Keely junior??

Also with Dermot being kept on and Alan being brought in, is that much needed money gone out of the playing budget or what's the craic??

Dodge
28/05/2010, 6:51 PM
Why in the name of jaysus would Pat Scully leave Limerick for Drogheda or Shels?? :D

Money, less to travel to work, doesn't want to be assassinated by the FAI

ndrog
28/05/2010, 7:33 PM
Money, less to travel to work, doesn't want to be assassinated by the FAI

Becasue DUFC play in the premier division and limerick dont .Not that id want him anywhere near our club but anyway !

Lim till i die
28/05/2010, 7:39 PM
Money,

Debatable.

less to travel to work

Is the commute from Naas to Drogheda really that much better than Naas to Limerick? Genuine Question btw.

doesn't want to be assassinated by the FAI

Fair Comment

Becasue DUFC play in the premier division and are a complete shambles both on and off the pitch whereas Limerick are not

Fixed that for you lad.

CSFShels
28/05/2010, 8:09 PM
It is definitely Matthews taking over, no point in even discussing other candidates, it is pretty much a done deal.

sheao
28/05/2010, 9:47 PM
Mathews was the first name that came into my head about the new Shels manager.

GalwayRed
28/05/2010, 9:55 PM
Also with Dermot being kept on and Alan being brought in, is that much needed money gone out of the playing budget or what's the craic??
As far as I'm aware the youth development within the club is undergoing a change which will save money for the club so I dont think this would change the playing budget.
I dont expect great football under Matthews or anything but he might make us a little less predictable. Time will tell.

razor
28/05/2010, 10:05 PM
What about Roddy?
He'd be a great appointment for them.

Buile Shuibhne
28/05/2010, 10:26 PM
Done deal. Mathews has the job. Can't start for a few weeks yet.

**FrOsTy**
28/05/2010, 10:35 PM
Gareth Cronin - Drogs

Shels sack Keely

Matthews - Shels!

Part one of my prediction is coming true! Should of went to Paddys and stuck a score on it :(

Dunny
28/05/2010, 10:44 PM
Done deal. Mathews has the job. Can't start for a few weeks yet.

Why's that?

OneForTheFuture
29/05/2010, 10:10 AM
As far as I'm aware the youth development within the club is undergoing a change which will save money for the club so I dont think this would change the playing budget.
I dont expect great football under Matthews or anything but he might make us a little less predictable. Time will tell.

There was a vacancy as Youth Development Officer as Robbie Hoey had left that position last month to take up a position with the FAI so no upsetting the budget there....

Sam_Heggy
29/05/2010, 10:54 AM
Who runs the A league side for Shels?

ndrog
29/05/2010, 10:56 AM
Debatable.

Is the commute from Naas to Drogheda really that much better than Naas to Limerick? Genuine Question btw.

Fair Comment

Fixed that for you lad.

No mate limerick are a model club ffs ! What do you know about DUFC ? Off the pitch or on for that matter , come to many games do you ? Dufc are more attractive proposition for the likes of scully than limerick are , dont think there is much debate there . Different division and closer to where hes based etc etc .But as i said before you can keep him .He took control of one game in his time here at Drogheda and it didnt go to well ! Anyone with any sense here wants Gill . Best of luck getting out of the first div , might see you next season if things dont go well for us .

De Town
29/05/2010, 2:06 PM
So Sir Alan won't be in charge for Tuesday night no?

Dodge
29/05/2010, 2:17 PM
No mate limerick are a model club ffs ! What do you know about DUFC ? Off the pitch or on for that matter , come to many games do you ? Dufc are more attractive proposition for the likes of scully than limerick are , dont think there is much debate there .

Every knows about how poor you've been on the pitch. And everypne knows that Matthews didn't get anywhere near the budget he was initially promised by your board (hence players like Conor Kenna leaving). None of this is any secret, and if we know about it, then the close knit group of LOI managers know even more detail.

I'd say there's a fair bit of debte whether managing Drogheda on the way down, or Limerick on the way up is more attractive. Definitely not clear cut

passerrby
29/05/2010, 3:15 PM
Every knows about how poor you've been on the pitch. And everypne knows that Matthews didn't get anywhere near the budget he was initially promised by your board (hence players like Conor Kenna leaving). None of this is any secret, and if we know about it, then the close knit group of LOI managers know even more detail.

I'd say there's a fair bit of debte whether managing Drogheda on the way down, or Limerick on the way up is more attractive. Definitely not clear cut

its a bit like going down on the titanic and then been picked up by the marie cleste

Mr A
21/06/2010, 7:24 PM
Any word of an official appointment being made?

danthesaint
21/06/2010, 10:30 PM
Any word of an official appointment being made?

i thought it was done and dusted, Matthews in as boss

GlasnevinRed
22/06/2010, 10:36 AM
Nothing official confirmed yet. Collie O'Neill still in charge for now.

Martinho II
22/06/2010, 5:06 PM
Nothing official confirmed yet. Collie O'Neill still in charge for now.

for how long though I wonder? Is O'Neill a candidate at all?

Longfordian
12/07/2010, 2:39 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else, Alan Mathews has been confirmed as Shels manager. Three years after he was first supposed to go there!. It'll be interesting to see him returning to Flancare in charge of a team for a competitive game. Best of luck to him.

Doomofman
12/07/2010, 3:09 PM
Shelbourne FC wishes to announce the appointment of Alan Mathews as First Team Manager with immediate effect.

Being a First Division Club, we are particularly delighted to have secured the services as Manager of someone who has a proven track record of success in the Premier Division. Alan's objective is, as one would expect, to return the Club to Premier Division status as quickly as possible and through achieving on-field success.

While that is still a possibility for the current season, the time horizon agreed by the Board of Management with Alan goes beyond this season.

The club would like to express its sincere gratitude to the previous management team of Dermot Keely and Collie O'Neill. But for bad luck, the Club would already be returned to the Premier Division. Dermot Keely is remaining on in the Club and is taking on the role of Community Development Officer, with emphasis on developing Shelbourne's underage section.

From extratime.ie... not up on Shels site yet

Lim till i die
12/07/2010, 3:37 PM
Well that will make a refreshing change from the hoofball hachetry of the Keely era. Crowds and optimism to soar!! :D