PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Algeria - Saturday, 29th May 2010 - Friendly - RDS

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wolfie
27/05/2010, 1:54 PM
McShane not available - O'Dea or Cunningham to replace.

http://http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mcshanes-absence-opens-door-for-young-pretenders-2196041.html (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/mcshanes-absence-opens-door-for-young-pretenders-2196041.html)

Declanus
27/05/2010, 2:11 PM
Cunningham has been named as left full. 2000 Algerian fans have bought ticktets to the game. I know its only a friendly but I saw the playoff between Egypt and Algeria that got Algeria to the World Cup and their supporters are pretty lively. should add a bit of atmosphere.

Closed Account
27/05/2010, 2:39 PM
Are you sure Cunningham starts?
Only caught the tail end of the news and the players I heard mentioned were:
???????, Foley, Kelly, O'Shea, St Ledger, Lawrence, Green, Whelan, Duff?, ??????, ??????
I assumed the ones I didn't hear were Westwood, Keane and Doyle with Kelly at left back. But I could be massively wrong, will keep an ear/eye out.

Edit: You were right, team is:
Rep of Ireland (v Algeria): Westwood, Kelly, O’Shea, St Ledger, Cunningham, Lawrence*, Green, Whelan, Duff, Keane, Doyle
http://m.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0527/1224271274101.html?via=sport

geysir
27/05/2010, 5:33 PM
Good (but obvious) move putting O'Shea in at CH.
A big game for Cunningham, he could be a made man after this.

elroy
27/05/2010, 5:35 PM
Really dont see why Keane and Duff are playing, other than Trap who wants to keep the team together at every opportunity. Would like to see the changes happen a little earlier on Friday.

geysir
27/05/2010, 5:38 PM
It's obvious that we need the semblance of a team so we can try out a few of the new kids.

Sullivinho
27/05/2010, 5:49 PM
Really dont see why Keane and Duff are playing, other than Trap who wants to keep the team together at every opportunity. Would like to see the changes happen a little earlier on Friday.

I agree. Would love to see Stokes in particular getting 45 minutes.

Although I don't think Robbie will mind, sets him up to hit the big 100 against Argentina.

tommy_c12000
27/05/2010, 6:46 PM
Delighted to see Cunningham starting. Really excited about it. Think putting time into Green (at 27) will ultimately prove to be a waste of time. Another strong team out. Trap seems intent on keeping the winning momentum at the expense of experimentation. May regret it in the long run

MuckaTucka
27/05/2010, 7:42 PM
Since when has Trap been concerned about the long run?
Building solidity, confidence and momentum is what he hopes will take us to the Euros. He's a results man.

backstothewall
27/05/2010, 8:16 PM
I can see what he's doing. He wants to see partnerships and how people will fit into the team. If he puts in 5 or 6 kids all he can learn his how they will fit in with other kids.

Closed Account
27/05/2010, 8:59 PM
Why not put Green in? He looked good the last night and got good reports from the training game. Personally I'll reserve judgement on the lad until he's had a 3 or 4 competitive games(within reason). He's 3 months younger than Keith Fahey but I'm sure a lot of people would prefer to see Fahey start instead.
Lets give Paul Green a chance lads, he could suprise us.

bwagner
27/05/2010, 9:45 PM
I watch a lot of the championship in the U.k ..Green will not dissapoint lads. He wont not be shy in the tackle, can pass also.

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2010, 10:12 PM
Delighted to see Cunningham starting. Really excited about it. Think putting time into Green (at 27) will ultimately prove to be a waste of time.
If he can do a job for 2 years he'll be worth it. Performing at the Euros in 2 years will do more good for the 23 that go than trying to blood one player in Green's stead.

SUB of the day
27/05/2010, 10:26 PM
2OOO Algerian fans will certainly spice up the atmosphere,should have the knockon effect of stirring the home support.

Wolfie
28/05/2010, 9:01 AM
Think putting time into Green (at 27) will ultimately prove to be a waste of time.

Hasn't done Andrews any harm.

ifk101
28/05/2010, 9:27 AM
I personally don't think Paul Green brings anything new to the squad, he certainly doesn't raise the quality. I wish that Trapattoni would give a ball playing midfielder like Fahey a chance in the central positions. The organisation and structure of the team is fine, but we need to build and progress from this by allowing our central midfielders to be creative. I understand Trapattoni doesn't want to deviate from a relatively successful strategy but that strategy didn't get us to South Africa so improvements can be made and friendlies offer the opportunity to try something new. Capping lower tier, journeymen like Green won't improve us.

tetsujin1979
28/05/2010, 11:24 AM
Lots of players get one or two caps in these end of season get togethers, and never make it to squad regular. He's another option in midfield, nothing more. With the injuries to Meyler and McCarthy, not to mention Steven and Andy Reid, it shows how lightweight we are in central midfield. When those players return from injury (and presumably international exile), and the likes of Clifford make the step up to senior football, he'll lose his place in the squad but for now I've no problem with him getting those one or two caps.

tetsujin1979
28/05/2010, 11:25 AM
Article about Cunningham's start tonight on Man City's website: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/May/Mancini-puts-in-word-for-Cunningham

ifk101
28/05/2010, 11:43 AM
Lots of players get one or two caps in these end of season get togethers, and never make it to squad regular. He's another option in midfield, nothing more. With the injuries to Meyler and McCarthy, not to mention Steven and Andy Reid, it shows how lightweight we are in central midfield. When those players return from injury (and presumably international exile), and the likes of Clifford make the step up to senior football, he'll lose his place in the squad but for now I've no problem with him getting those one or two caps.

Well you should have a problem with the capping of him because (a) you realise he's not going to feature long-term, and (b) you are hinting that handing caps to players like Green is more a means to fulfil friendly fixtures rather than anything else. Players like Cunningham and Sheridan are not senior standard players just yet but these are the players that should be capped in games like this to encourage them to fulfil the potential they obviously possess. Green doesn't offer anything new, we have plenty players in his position that are better and/or offer long term potential. So why waste caps on him when we know he's at best a squad member and ultimately 6th or 7th choice in that position?

geysir
28/05/2010, 11:45 AM
I wish that Trapattoni would give a ball playing midfielder like Fahey a chance in the central positions. The organisation and structure of the team is fine, but we ness from this by allowing our central midfielders to be creative. .....

You think Trap scolded Whelan for that killer pass to Duff?
Whelan, Andrews (and McCarthy emerging) are our best at CM and all three can hold their own in the EPL at CM.

I personally don't think Paul Green brings anything new to the squad, he certainly doesn't raise the quality
Green is playing for a place in the squad, to function as a standby CM replacement. He gets around like Miller but he has a meatier bite so he is bringing something more to the squad (if he passes the test).
Personally I think it is a no brainer to give a lad like Green a chance in this game.

I understand Trapattoni doesn't want to deviate from a relatively successful strategy but that strategy didn't get us to South Africa so improvements can be made and friendlies offer the opportunity to try something new.
I think Trap realises the benefit of a new strategy, that if we go 2 up - we have a much better chance of seeing the game out :)

Closed Account
28/05/2010, 11:45 AM
I think some people are annoyed that Green is getting the nod ahead of Fahey, whether they say so or not. Fact of the matter is, Green and Fahey, both came into the training camp at the same time and had the same opportunities to impress Trappatoni. Of the players available to him, Green fits the system best and as we all know, the system trumps everything. End of story.

Straightstory
28/05/2010, 11:46 AM
I personally don't think Paul Green brings anything new to the squad, he certainly doesn't raise the quality. I wish that Trapattoni would give a ball playing midfielder like Fahey a chance in the central positions. The organisation and structure of the team is fine, but we need to build and progress from this by allowing our central midfielders to be creative. I understand Trapattoni doesn't want to deviate from a relatively successful strategy but that strategy didn't get us to South Africa so improvements can be made and friendlies offer the opportunity to try something new. Capping lower tier, journeymen like Green won't improve us.
Trap doesn't like creative midfielders like Fahey and Reid. If we get to the Euros it will be by playing mind-numbingly dull football played by mind-numbingly dull footballers like Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews. (And if we don't get to the Euros - we'll still have suffered mind-numbingly dull football played by mind-numbingly dull footballers like Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews).

ifk101
28/05/2010, 11:58 AM
I think some people are annoyed that Green is getting the nod ahead of Fahey, whether they say so or not.

I can't speak for others but I certainly would rather see Fahey in the middle ahead of Green because (a) he's playing at a higher level (b) Fahey is a better footballer (c) Fahey is capable of getting his foot on the ball and hitting a pass to a team-mate (d) the lack of ability to keep possession is a serious problem with our current line-up/tactics (e) and we should be using the opportunity of a friendly game to evolve our game.

Trapattoni has obviously seen that Fahey can play ball during the training camp but as in previous cases he has decided to move creative midfielders to wide positions, the bench or leave they out of the squad all together. Yes he has his sytem but why not try and evolve that system in friendly games?

tetsujin1979
28/05/2010, 12:01 PM
So why waste caps on him when we know he's at best a squad member and ultimately 6th or 7th choice in that position?So that we know we have a sixth or seventh option. Like I said, we're lightweight in that department, and it only took two injuries (Meyler and McCarthy) to prove it. Over the course of a qualification campaign, injuries and suspensions will mean that we will have to use that sixth or seventh option, and after these two games, the management will know that Green is an option. If he isn't given the two caps in these games, we'll have few options beyond Liam Miller, and these games will have been a wasted opportunity.

Trapattoni has obviously seen that Fahey can play ball during the training camp but as in previous cases he has decided to move creative midfielders to wide positions, the bench or leave they out of the squad all together. Yes he has his sytem but why not try and evolve that system in friendly games?
When Trapattoni took over, one of the first things he noted was the revolving door in central midfield (look at the home game against Cyprus) so his first step was to stop team from coming through the middle against us, hence two defensively minded central midfielders. Steven Reid was the link between defence and attack until he was injured, acting as a box to box player, and he still hasn't been replaced. Until another player like that becomes available (Clifford? McCarthy?) I believe Trapattoni will choose to protect the central defenders from midfield, rather than change it to help the strikers. That system was still in evidence against Paraguay on Tuesday, they were forced to go to the wings every time to try and create something.

ifk101
28/05/2010, 12:18 PM
So that we know we have a sixth or seventh option. Like I said, we're lightweight in that department, and it only took two injuries (Meyler and McCarthy) to prove it.

But we're not lightweight in midfield especially with reference the role Trapattoni wants his central midfielders to fulfil. Besides the numerous central midfielders available to him, he could try Lawrence or even JOSH out in the central midfield positions if he feels his options are short.

When Trapattoni took over, one of the first things he noted was the revolving door in central midfield (look at the home game against Cyprus) so his first step was to stop team from coming through the middle against us, hence two defensively minded central midfielders. Steven Reid was the link between defence and attack until he was injured, acting as a box to box player, and he still hasn't been replaced. Until another player like that becomes available (Clifford? McCarthy?) I believe Trapattoni will choose to protect the central defenders from midfield, rather than change it to help the strikers. That system was still in evidence against Paraguay on Tuesday, they were forced to go to the wings every time to try and create something.

Yes I accept that but this is a friendly game and he should be seeking to evolve our game. He can still employ two defensive midfielders (technically its three when Lawrence starts) but why not allow the midfielders to get their foot on the ball and try to keep some possession and take some pressure off the defence? If it doesn't work we just return to the tried and trusted tactics for competitive games.

republicofwhite
28/05/2010, 1:11 PM
I think people are being very short sighted about Green. He is clearly here are a short term stop gap that can be called upon as a like for like replacement for Andrews and Whelan in the short to medium term future. Thats the main reason why he's been fast tracked in and given a few caps and a crash course in international football. I would obviously love Fahey to be starting in the centre, but we should really just be a bit more mature and accept that that is his system. The consolation we can take is that he probably now considers Fahey as a serious option for the wide berths, and I guarantee that he'll get some good game time. But like I say, Green is temporary and a stop gap, its not worth getting hissy about. The biggest disappointment for me is the fact that Meyler and McCarthy are missing out on all of this, because they (with Clifford in tow) are going to be a barnstorming partnership in future, and really push us on. I think they are going to be the first pairing that are going to be GOOD ENOUGH to introduce a level of dynamism that pushes on from the two limited enforcers ideology(i.e. Andrews and Whelan). Provided he recovers well, Meyler is the next Keane,mark my words, great ballwinner, runs all day, ferocious physicality, great touch and short and simple passer. Sunderland fans were waxing lyrical about him, and saying he was head and shoulders above Cana, an International Captain. And McCarthy will provide the creative streak, passing, and spark of magic. So we just need to be patient and realise that unfrotunately, these games(as far as midfield goes) are just all about sorting out the stop gaps for the foreseeable future. Such a pity they couldn't take part though.

ifk101
28/05/2010, 1:27 PM
Short-sighted about Green? There's nothing to it - he's been selected to a fill a perceived hole in the system, not to improve the team, evolve our tactics or take us forward. That's the issue. Is it such a moan to try something new in a friendly game? I'd just like to see a ball playing midfielder given a chance in a central position be it Fahey or somebody else.

Wolfie
28/05/2010, 1:33 PM
Lets not get ahead of ourselves, lads.

You can only begin to start making your mind up about someone having seen them play a few times - while not making rash judgements one way or t'other.

It'll be interesting to see how he plays - let him get on with it.

gunnser
28/05/2010, 1:34 PM
This post is a little bit off-topic but does anyone heard anymore about the future allocation of tickets at The Aviva? I am currently around 1600 on the block-booking waiting list but i understand that the FAI are falline well behind with their target for premium seat packages/ Is it likely that any more might tickets might be released to accomadate the several thousand fans still on the block-booking waiting list? If anyone has any info I would be grateful to hear it.

Cheers

Brian

pineapple stu
28/05/2010, 1:35 PM
I think you're being a bit harsh on Green. He was very tidy when he came no against Paraguay, and I'm looking forward to seeing if he can replicate that over 90 minutes tonight. There amy be better options, but based on Tuesday, you can't just rule Green out because he plays in Division One.

Duggie
28/05/2010, 1:40 PM
If we get to the Euros it will be by playing mind-numbingly dull football played by mind-numbingly dull footballers like Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews. (And if we don't get to the Euros - we'll still have suffered mind-numbingly dull football played by mind-numbingly dull footballers like Glenn Whelan and Keith Andrews).

thats a stupid stupid comment. dosent even deserve a response from me.

ifk101
28/05/2010, 1:54 PM
He's picked Green to fulfill a role rather than based on his footballing ability. We've played the same way in every game under Trapattoni (granted a couple occasions when we behind, he changed it around). I'm just disappointed that he's not using a friendly game to try something new,look to evolve our style of play and become more creative. He has a gifted Premier League player at his disposal. It's nothing personal against Green, I just think Trapattoni should be slightly more adventurous in his team selections especially when it's resulting in a better footballer being overlooked.

pineapple stu
28/05/2010, 1:56 PM
Trap's 70-odd at this stage and very successful. We're not playing Brazilian football, but you can hardly be surprised or disappointed that he's not going to change his ways at this stage. If he sees players who'll fit well into a successful gameplan, then good.

ifk101
28/05/2010, 2:07 PM
It depends on how you define a successful gameplan. We're not going to SA so I think slight adjustments to our gameplan can be accommodated for a friendly.

Closed Account
28/05/2010, 2:27 PM
I think Wolfie said it best, lets wait until after the game, preferably until after a few games.

pineapple stu
28/05/2010, 2:39 PM
It depends on how you define a successful gameplan. We're not going to SA so I think slight adjustments to our gameplan can be accommodated for a friendly.
I certainly wouldn't define a failed gameplan as one which held the world champions twice and which was knocked out by the world runners-up by a blatant offside handball and a deflection.

geysir
28/05/2010, 2:41 PM
I would be curious to see how we would play with Fahey or Andy Reid at CM, but I am not too pushed about it. I would also be curious to see what would happen if Reid was brought on after an hour but that's not Trap's way. We have to go with the manager and his decisions, the results/performance determine the success of his methods.
Why this or why not that, is interesting debate. On the other hand the tv pundits claim scientific fact re the alternatives they espouse, that such a player/tactic would automatically bring upon an improvement.

Our current CM incl McCarthy are all playing for their clubs at CM, whereas Fahey and Reid are played out wide for their clubs.
There is plenty of scope within the game plan for a CM to get on the ball and spray accurate passes. But first the CM players have to understand the discipline of their role in the game and then the rest of what they do depends on their ability. Personally I think the two main missing links from our game are the full backs, most of the pain inflicted against us has come through that link. Josh is competent at RB but we will need 3 CH in a campaign to cover those 2 positions.

punkrocket
28/05/2010, 2:47 PM
Anyone know where the game can be seen?

tetsujin1979
28/05/2010, 2:50 PM
Anyone know where the game can be seen?

it's on sky sports 1: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html

MeathDrog
28/05/2010, 4:13 PM
Will Fahey lay ahead of Lawrence? Did Lawrence shake off the groin injury?

Either way, Fahey should be tried in midfield. He doesn't have the pace to be a natural winger.

MuckaTucka
28/05/2010, 5:34 PM
Game is here (http://sportingtv.tk/), here (http://cdn1.ustream.tv/swf/4/viewer2.9.swf?cid=4313627&password=2krtb) & here (http://www.iraqgoals.tv/ch1.html) for the overseas and sky sportsless lads :).

Edit those links should work for the game tonight too.

Sullivinho
28/05/2010, 6:16 PM
Would Fahey cope in the centre of the field? I get the impression he's a bit lightweight although I have heard him speak about the work he's done on his defensive game. Still, Whelan and Andrews have to try their damndest not to get overrun at times so I don't know how Fahey would cope in there given the system we play.

Supreme feet
28/05/2010, 7:02 PM
3 a.m. here in South Korea. Really looking forward to this. In the big 'Paul Green vs. Keith Fahey' debate, I don't think it's going to be relevant in September, when Steven Reid, Gibson and McCarthy are available. Just want a win, a clean sheet, and a few passes!

geysir
28/05/2010, 7:13 PM
Re the links to watch the game

In these matters, we need a plan B and C etc.

MyP2P links (http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=77243&part=sports)

We can also report here on which stream is working good.

Paddy Garcia
28/05/2010, 7:26 PM
Any links guys?

theworm2345
28/05/2010, 7:35 PM
High quality Sky feed, you have to install Veetle but its well worth it...will probably go down around 75 minutes but worth it
http://www.veetle.com/frameworked/index.php/channel/view#4bfacb8f76c3f

SkStu
28/05/2010, 7:42 PM
i almost always find iraqgoals excellent.

http://www.iraqgoals.tv/ch1.html

geysir
28/05/2010, 7:48 PM
High quality Sky feed, you have to install Veetle but its well worth it...will probably go down around 75 minutes but worth it
http://www.veetle.com/frameworked/index.php/channel/view#4bfacb8f76c3f

That one is better than most, apart from a few stutters.
Aldo is co commentator.

Supreme feet
28/05/2010, 7:51 PM
Working grand. Thanks SkStu.

theworm2345
28/05/2010, 7:52 PM
I remember watching their goalie play for JS Kabylie back when my favorite player played with him in Algeria. He is pretty good but can make some gaffes and is a hothead.