PDA

View Full Version : New UEFA financial regulations

WexCar
27/05/2010, 2:11 AM
Just came across this http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0526/uefa.html

Can only be good for LOI clubs who will be looking to play in UEFA competitions.

(apologies if there is another thread on this but couldn't find one)

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2010, 3:30 AM
Not for Bohs.

Jofspring
27/05/2010, 9:01 AM
How will this affect the top clubs like Man U who even though they get huge income every season have huge debts?

pineapple stu
27/05/2010, 9:15 AM
There was a bit in the Metro-Herald this morning (I know!) that no clubs would be allowed lose more than £30m per year or something ludicrous like that. Bohs just about squeak in under that.

It also noted that clubs would have to break even over a three-year spell starting next year, and that sugar daddy contributions (Abramovic/Gannon) wouldn't be counted as income.

Man U have said they're in favour of the proposals, but ultimately huge income is irrelevant if your expenses are bigger.

I think this is aimed more at the bigger clubs. But maybe it'll filter down.

SkStu
27/05/2010, 2:48 PM
Not for Bohs.

that is genius! Did you come up with that one yorself? Im going to steal that one! Brilliant!!!

passerrby
27/05/2010, 3:00 PM
that is genius! Did you come up with that one yorself? Im going to steal that one! Brilliant!!!

I was wondering where yous get your revenue

marinobohs
27/05/2010, 3:45 PM
There was a bit in the Metro-Herald this morning (I know!) that no clubs would be allowed lose more than £30m per year or something ludicrous like that. Bohs just about squeak in under that.

It also noted that clubs would have to break even over a three-year spell starting next year, and that sugar daddy contributions (Abramovic/Gannon) wouldn't be counted as income.

Man U have said they're in favour of the proposals, but ultimately huge income is irrelevant if your expenses are bigger.

I think this is aimed more at the bigger clubs. But maybe it'll filter down.

30 million ? when does the transfer window open ?? ;)

SMorgan
27/05/2010, 8:12 PM
But could ManU not get around it by saying that Wayne Rooney is a £100,000 a week barman?

Hate ManU but it fairness their debt is the money the yanks used to buy the club.

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2010, 8:41 PM
I'm not having a go. Bohs have struggled to live within their means in recent years and it remains to be seen whether the club can sustain anything close to its current rate of spending if and when it fails to win a league title. Fair play to Bohs if they are able to restructure to a more prudent model, but in recent seasons they haven't done that.

But could ManU not get around it by saying that Wayne Rooney is a £100,000 a week barman?

Hate ManU but it fairness their debt is the money the yanks used to buy the club.
I'm not sure how proprietary debt fits into UEFA's calculations, but the club did release a statement yesterday congratulating itself for falling within the requirements, so I guess they're safe.

As stupid as FIFA can be, I really can't see them falling for the old "Wayne Rooney" is a barman trick. Might work in the Airtricity League though.

SkStu
27/05/2010, 9:16 PM
in fairness, you are having a go. We have complied with the FAI SCP since its introduction. We have slashed our wage bill for the last 2 seasons down to something approaching reasonable (still some ways to go though). I know we have debt that will need to be addressed but i believe that our current board can make the right decisions and address it over the next few years.

Anyway, it would be great if this could NOT turn into a Bohs finances thread. The UEFA regulations have far more implications for a club like Fingal.

Charlie Darwin
27/05/2010, 9:33 PM
How am I having a go? You admitted yourself that the club still has plenty of work to do on the wage bill and it's not even a year since the club was punished for overspending on wages. I know there are people around here who get off on slagging other clubs but I was just pointing out that, enforcing squarely, these new regulations will give the club even less leeway than they've had in the past.

Fingal is interesting though. I wonder if the regulations have any exemptions for 'created' teams like that.

SkStu
27/05/2010, 9:41 PM
surely it will overall be the same for most clubs? Once any club complying with the terms of the SCP then they shouldnt have anything to fear from the regulations. Except the sugar daddy clubs (hello Sporting Fingal!). Though it does say that the rules wont affect domestic leagues that fall under the responsibility of national associations. Not sure entirely what that means for Irish clubs.

it's not even a year since the club was punished for overspending on wages.

we ended up in compliance with the rules at the end of the season. And a lot has changed at Bohs from the beginning of last season to now.

outspoken
27/05/2010, 9:44 PM
United and the likes are in trouble. I suppose it is good for football but I think Uefa are targeting English clubs unfairly.

Charlie Darwin
28/05/2010, 12:43 AM
It's hardly unfair when English clubs alone account for 2/3 of all club debt in Europe. It will benefit the big clubs more in the short term, but in the long term it will keep clubs like Portsmouth and Hull from destroying themselves.

pineapple stu
28/05/2010, 8:53 AM
Once any club complying with the terms of the SCP then they shouldnt have anything to fear from the regulations.
In fairness, FAI licencing is a sham. You'd have to assume that UEFA requirements will be a little more stringent than the FAI's. Being allowed to compete in a national league and being allowed to compete in Europe are two different things (as other clubs have shown when getting refused UEFA licences).

Ezeikial
28/05/2010, 7:00 PM
Anyway, it would be great if this could NOT turn into a Bohs finances thread.

If you re-introduce the debate about the SCP and Bohs' "compliance" and make other contentious statement surrounding the prudence of Bohs financial model then that is exactly what you are likely to do!

in fairness, you are having a go. We have complied with the FAI SCP since its introduction. We have slashed our wage bill for the last 2 seasons down to something approaching reasonable (still some ways to go though). I know we have debt that will need to be addressed but i believe that our current board can make the right decisions and address it over the next few years.

Anyway, it would be great if this could NOT turn into a Bohs finances thread. The UEFA regulations have far more implications for a club like Fingal.

SkStu
28/05/2010, 7:13 PM
Aw come on man! how can you read into my post that i believe our financial model is prudent!!! All i said is that we complied with the SCP (after a further investigation by the FAI at the end of the season) and that we have made moves in the right direction and that i believe our current board have the right idea. Its hardly a ringing endorsement of our approach over the last few years but it is what it is. and i thought that it was something worth pointing out to counter Charlie Darwins flippant remark in the second post.

Réiteoir
28/05/2010, 8:39 PM
Aw come on man! how can you read into my post that i believe our financial model is prudent!!! All i said is that we complied with the SCP (after a further investigation by the FAI at the end of the season) and that we have made moves in the right direction and that i believe our current board have the right idea. Its hardly a ringing endorsement of our approach over the last few years but it is what it is. and i thought that it was something worth pointing out to counter Charlie Darwins flippant remark in the second post.

I wouldn't bother trying Stu, should know by now people have made up their minds, correctly or incorrectly - you'd be better off going and talking to a brick wall or a group of barstoolers

The Lep
28/05/2010, 9:21 PM
surely it will overall be the same for most clubs? Once any club complying with the terms of the SCP then they shouldnt have anything to fear from the regulations. Except the sugar daddy clubs (hello Sporting Fingal!). Though it does say that the rules wont affect domestic leagues that fall under the responsibility of national associations. Not sure entirely what that means for Irish clubs.

we ended up in compliance with the rules at the end of the season. And a lot has changed at Bohs from the beginning of last season to now.

Hello Stu :)

marinobohs
01/06/2010, 12:01 PM

............still prefer the dundalk finanacial model (EzeK will be familiar with it) - sign six new players then realise you cant pay them and renege (whoops, renegotiate) on the contracts.;)

Lamper.sffc
01/06/2010, 3:48 PM

eh, now stop that right now. How very dare you. The thread was going along nicely. Dont be trying to get the fingal haters going just so your own club wont be discussed. Disgraceful behaviour altogether. You should be ashamed of yourself. Cheap trick and low blow. ;) Anyway its the other stu's job

Ezeikial
01/06/2010, 5:05 PM
............still prefer the dundalk finanacial model (EzeK will be familiar with it) - sign six new players then realise you cant pay them and renege (whoops, renegotiate) on the contracts.;)

Pretty predictable MB. You trot this line out every so often, only to be reminded that it was Bohs who got this concept of renegotiating (or reneging ?) on contracts going. Remember before the start of last season 12 contracted Bohs players were coerced into taking reported 30% pay cuts? Of course you do, but here is a reminder for you .... http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/0205/1224240625290.html

marinobohs
03/06/2010, 8:59 AM
Pretty predictable MB. You trot this line out every so often, only to be reminded that it was Bohs who got this concept of renegotiating (or reneging ?) on contracts going. Remember before the start of last season 12 contracted Bohs players were coerced into taking reported 30% pay cuts? Of course you do, but here is a reminder for you .... http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2009/0205/1224240625290.html

Difference is that at Bohs the players had the option to leave (transfer window was open) whearas at Dundalk they did not. Of course I remember it - God knows you preached about it enough (until Dundalk..........).