PDA

View Full Version : Derry: UK City of Culture Bid 2013

MariborKev
21/05/2010, 3:57 PM
* Insert Londonderry or other joke here.

Right lads, we're up against on this one. Birmingham, Shelffield and Norwich are the main opposition and we can't compete size wise.

http://www.cityofculture2013.com/Get-Involved/Get-Involved.aspx

thischarmingman
23/05/2010, 3:38 PM
Lads, if you're interested, the Facebook group is very well run with plenty of updates to keep you aware. Suggest it to friends also!

peadar1987
24/05/2010, 7:16 PM
Do ye really want Cork's sloppy seconds?!

dcfc_1928
24/05/2010, 9:23 PM
Do ye really want Cork's sloppy seconds?!

When was Cork the UK City of Culture?

OneRedArmy
25/05/2010, 10:31 AM
When was Cork the UK City of Culture?Well it does have an English Market......

Lionel Ritchie
25/05/2010, 10:54 AM
Is the UK City of culture a sort of sub-strata to the European City of Culture or have the Tories pulled UK out of Europe already?

I remember some years back (2005?) Limerick had an application in train apparently to become European City of Culture/ Cultural Capital which would've been great and I'd have been all for but for those in City hall who were touting us were similtaneously dolling out fines and threatening prosecution to bands who had the cheek to stick posters up on derelict buildings. Lovely.

dcfc_1928
25/05/2010, 12:41 PM
It's based on the European City of Culture idea, but AFAIK not related to it. This is the first one and it will be awarded every 4 years to a city in the UK.

Is the UK City of culture a sort of sub-strata to the European City of Culture or have the Tories pulled UK out of Europe already?

I remember some years back (2005?) Limerick had an application in train apparently to become European City of Culture/ Cultural Capital which would've been great and I'd have been all for but for those in City hall who were touting us were similtaneously dolling out fines and threatening prosecution to bands who had the cheek to stick posters up on derelict buildings. Lovely.