1MickCollins
07/04/2004, 2:27 AM
Oh yes plenty fodder here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1187453,00.html

Keane to meet Kerr over return

Paul Walker
Wednesday April 7, 2004
The Guardian

Roy Keane is due to meet the Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr within the next fortnight to discuss a return to international football, having been in regular contact with him recently.
The 33-year-old former Republic captain has not played for his country since he famously was sent home from the 2002 World Cup on the eve of the tournament in South Korea and Japan and he continues to divide public opinion across Ireland.

Kerr has since succeeded Mick McCarthy, with whom Keane fell out so irrevocably, and with Keane believing he has unfinished business with the Irish the two men reached the point of discussing the matter.

It appeared that Keane was set to return only for talks to break down over whether the Manchester United midfielder would play in non-competitive matches as well as European qualification fixtures.

Keane's injured hip meant that United wanted him to play as few games as possible for anyone else.

It is not known whether any compromises have been reached between Keane, Kerr and the United manager Sir Alex Ferguson but the player is understood to have been impressed by Kerr's managerial discipline.

Kerr has avoided commenting directly on the Keane issue but he has left the door ajar.

After Keane said on a promotional trip to Dublin a few weeks ago that there was still an outside chance of his coming back, Kerr said he would welcome any player who had announced his international retirement but who had changed his mind. That included players such as the Charlton Athletic goalkeeper Dean Kiely but clearly also Keane.

PaulB
07/04/2004, 7:14 AM
good stuff, welcome back Roy. We need central midfielders badly, and if one of the best in the world wants to play again, then let bygones be bygones!

macdermesser
07/04/2004, 7:29 AM
agree with you ... what's the point in harping on about him letting his country down, and being a traitor etc. He was the difference that got us to that World Cup anyway. Anyway, this has been discussed to deatg.

Still think its an outside chance though he'll come back.

tiktok
07/04/2004, 7:41 AM
Christ, at least in two weeks time we should know once and for all whether Roy will ever put on an Irish shirt again.

If it's yes, I'll welcome him back and be glad to see him. I do think he can add to our midfield, he's the type of player we'll need heading up against the french, IMO opinion the only player we have bar Duff who could live with a midfield of Pires Vieira Zidane and Makalele.

If it's no, at least we can put all the crap behind us and move on. Either way, I'll be happy in a fortnight.

PaulB
07/04/2004, 7:43 AM
Christ, at least in two weeks time we should know once and for all whether Roy will ever put on an Irish shirt again.

If it's yes, I'll welcome him back and be glad to see him. I do think he can add to our midfield, he's the type of player we'll need heading up against the french, IMO opinion the only player we have bar Duff who could live with a midfield of Pires Vieira Zidane and Makalele.

If it's no, at least we can put all the crap behind us and move on. Either way, I'll be happy in a fortnight.

Agreed, needs to be put to bed once and for all

Junior
07/04/2004, 7:51 AM

I think it will be a miracle if we know in 2 weeks!!! (then again I said Miller wouldn't play again for Celtic, so what do I know!!)

If it's yes, I'll welcome him back and be glad to see him. I do think he can add to our midfield, he's the type of player we'll need heading up against the french, IMO opinion the only player we have bar Duff who could live with a midfield of Pires Vieira Zidane and Makalele..

Off topic a bit, but I thought Duff was very quiet last night against Arsenal, one run early in the first half was about it. Lauren marked him tightly and had the better of him IMO.

Jnr

NigeSausagepump
07/04/2004, 8:38 AM
Off topic a bit, but I thought Duff was very quiet last night against Arsenal, one run early in the first half was about it. Lauren marked him tightly and had the better of him IMO.

Thought so too. Lauren didn't give him an inch and Duffer looked very uncomfortable and didnt' have much of an impact. I've noticed that he isn't as effective in extremely tight games like last night's. Don't think he's shown his best form for Chelsea since coming back after the injury - which may account for the persistent Duffer to ManU rumours.

Paulie
07/04/2004, 9:22 AM
Yeah he was pretty quiet last night alright. I think that part of the reason that he plays so well for us is that he gets so much more of the ball as we rely on him a lot more than they do at his club. At Chelsea he doesn't get the pass as much as they have so many quality players which gives them a lot more options. It stands to reason that if he's not given the ball as much when playing for his club that he's not going to get as many opportunities to impress as he does when playing for us.

NeilMcD
07/04/2004, 9:37 AM
Yeah i have to agree, that Keane coming back would give us that holding player that we need and some leadership too to help Cunningham. If he does come back i do think it either means he is leaving Man Utd in the summer or is taking a real back seat there next season the same way Robson did the last 2 years of his career at Man Utd. I think the midfield for the opening qualifiers may look like this if Keane comes back which anybody who is interested in the success of Irish football would want except for maybe Matt Holland.
Given

O Shea O Brien Cunningham Carr

Duff Kilbane Keane Miller/Reid

Keane Morrison

NeilMcD
07/04/2004, 9:40 AM
sorry it should have been the other side with duff and o shea on left and carr and either miller/reid on the right.

are weak area is a partner for robbie keane.

finlma
07/04/2004, 9:56 AM
This meeting has been confirmed by the FAI. I for one hope that any issues can be resolved and I'll certainly welcome Roy back.

ccfcman
07/04/2004, 10:01 AM
does any1 actually genuinely believe keane will return?all this talk of trying to lengthen his career for manchester united's cause

only1kilbane
07/04/2004, 10:07 AM
would be really surprised if he returned and cant really give a toss either move on with what we have. Id be more surprised if mr ferguson let him play as that supposedly was his reason for not returning in feb when he had the real chance !

Hopefully it will be put to an end sooner rather than later !

finlma
07/04/2004, 10:07 AM
does any1 actually genuinely believe keane will return?all this talk of trying to lengthen his career for manchester united's cause

I actually think he will this time, maybe I'm being naiive though. The fact that he's meeting Kerr again means he must have enough desire to return. No matter what people say he's not so self-obsorbed to call the meeting for more media attention, he's not that type of person. He must genuinely want to come back and he's more than welcome.

Plastic Paddy
07/04/2004, 10:10 AM
No matter what people say he's not so self-obsorbed to call the meeting for more media attention, he's not that type of person. He must genuinely want to come back and he's more than welcome.

You and many others are either very naive or show a touching faith in the man. He's let us down more than once before (cf Saipan, the "leak" before Kerr's first game in charge) and is well capacle of doing it again. Me, I just wish he'd **** off and leave those players who have always wanted to play for Ireland and us fans in peace.

:mad: PP

Éanna
07/04/2004, 10:29 AM
he's past it and his attitude is wrong. we might as well give the job to alan reynolds altogether. I'll have serious reservations about ever going to landsdowne again if he comes back

NeilMcD
07/04/2004, 10:31 AM
Contrary to reports in the media this morning, the FAI can confirm that Brian Kerr is not due to meet Roy Keane.

Reports circulated this morning claiming that FAI officials had confirmed that a meeting is to take place are inaccurate and no meeting is planned between Kerr and Keane

finlma
07/04/2004, 10:34 AM
Contrary to reports in the media this morning, the FAI can confirm that Brian Kerr is not due to meet Roy Keane.

Reports circulated this morning claiming that FAI officials had confirmed that a meeting is to take place are inaccurate and no meeting is planned between Kerr and Keane

Where did this come from? The usual reliable Indo said that the meeting was to go ahead.

Paulie
07/04/2004, 10:37 AM
I'll have serious reservations about ever going to landsdowne again if he comes back[/QUOTE]

This is just the kind of rubbish we don't need. I hate what he did during the World Cup but the bottom line is if he plays again for us that sort of attitude is not going to help. Whichever 11 players are on the pitch representing Ireland, regardless of whether or not we agree with selection policy, is the team that we should support.

NeilMcD
07/04/2004, 10:38 AM
The FAI website.

Plastic Paddy
07/04/2004, 10:39 AM
Where did this come from? The usual reliable Indo said that the meeting was to go ahead.

It's also reported in the London Guardian:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1187453,00.html

:) PP

NeilMcD
07/04/2004, 10:50 AM
yeah but it is on the FAI website which i suppose is more reliable that newsgroups.

finlma
07/04/2004, 11:12 AM
yeah but it is on the FAI website which i suppose is more reliable that newsgroups.

But at the same time it is the FAI. Not the most reliable people in the world.

tiktok
07/04/2004, 11:20 AM
if this report is not true it's just another example of how this **** will run and run, i'm well sick of it.

if it turns out to be true though, I agree with Paulie, Like them or not, the eleven players who walk out on the field in Irish shirts should never doubt that they have the support of the fans, can't agree with your attitude Eanna.

Christ, I think Doherty is a joke, but I'll cheer him on. ;)

Bowsy
07/04/2004, 11:24 AM
Never been on Keane's side regarding Saipan but if he wanted to play I would welcome him back despite previous let downs. Liam Miller, Andy Reid, etc are young developing players and are not yet ready to have a qualifying campaign built around them. Keane can give us that quality until they develop over the next couple of years. Far better option than mercenaries like Kevin Nolan. At the same time if all this is BS and he never plays for us again I'd lose no sleep over it.

4tothefloor
07/04/2004, 12:06 PM
The FAI will play this down anyway because neither Kerr nor Keane would want a media circus surrounding any meeting. I don't know about ye, but I want to go to Germany in 2 years time, so I'm backing a Roy return. You never know, it might even improve the atmosphere at LR, which coincidently has been dead since he left.

Plastic Paddy
07/04/2004, 12:23 PM
He must think we're stupid. We saw the results against Brazil and the Czech Republic too. So Roy now sees the opportunity for a day in the sun when his beloved club slip back, and bang...all those experts who shook their heads and said his body couldn't take the strain of international football got it wrong all along...

The Irish international football team is not his plaything to sell a few more 'honest' books, or a vehicle for his gratification.

What Conor said. All of it. :)

:D PP - Jimmy Kerr's Barmy Army

finlma
07/04/2004, 12:43 PM
He must think we're stupid. We saw the results against Brazil and the Czech Republic too. So Roy now sees the opportunity for a day in the sun when his beloved club slip back, and bang...all those experts who shook their heads and said his body couldn't take the strain of international football got it wrong all along...

I think he see's that the set-up is much more professional now. He's a professional and wants things run properly and that didn't happen until Kerr took over.

Éanna
07/04/2004, 1:41 PM

The Irish international football team is not his plaything to sell a few more 'honest' books, or a vehicle for his gratification.
spot on.

As for what tiktok said, if people want to support him let them- I just meant I'd seriously question supporting a team that had him in it. never said I'd go along and slag him...............sounds tempting though ;)

pete
07/04/2004, 1:48 PM
How can this be resolved so never ever discussed again?

:(

Bowsy
07/04/2004, 2:08 PM
One can but dream Pete.....

Declan_Michael
07/04/2004, 2:10 PM
If Keane returns how can the Kerr regime be called a professional set up? You can't just pick and choose games I don't care how United glory hunters think Keane is 'deadly' or a 'legend'. He wasn't fit enough last year so whats changed?

Kick in the teeth for lads like Delap, Healy, Reid.

No thanks Roy. :mad:

finlma
07/04/2004, 2:17 PM
If Keane returns how can the Kerr regime be called a professional set up? You can't just pick and choose games I don't care how United glory hunters think Keane is 'deadly' or a 'legend'. He wasn't fit enough last year so whats changed?

Kick in the teeth for lads like Delap, Healy, Reid.

No thanks Roy. :mad:

Not all people supporting Keane's comeback are Manu supporters, I for one hate the club but would love Keane back.

We all make decisions and regret them later and try to turn back the clock. People break up with their girlfriends then try to get back with them at a later date cause they're not getting action anywhere else. Roy is obviously missing the action (international football that is).

Declan_Michael
07/04/2004, 2:27 PM
We're not talking about a petty arguement with a girlfriend here. We're talking about captain who left his team high and dry on the eve of their biggest tournament for 8 years. Not content with that, instead of laying low he allowed the media to embark on a 'will he won't he' story running for 18 months and counting. As well as wasting Brian Kerr's time.

finlma
07/04/2004, 2:33 PM
We're not talking about a petty arguement with a girlfriend here. We're talking about captain who left his team high and dry on the eve of their biggest tournament for 8 years. Not content with that, instead of laying low he allowed the media to embark on a 'will he won't he' story running for 18 months and counting. As well as wasting Brian Kerr's time.

I'm only having a laugh mate. But in fairness we can't go on holding grudges against everyone forever, he did what he thought was right and you have to admire a man to stand up for his beliefs. I didn't agree with him but there's no point in continuing to condem him when he's still a class act and better than any central midfielder we have.

Declan_Michael
07/04/2004, 2:41 PM
I'm only having a laugh mate. But in fairness we can't go on holding grudges against everyone forever, he did what he thought was right and you have to admire a man to stand up for his beliefs. I didn't agree with him but there's no point in continuing to condem him when he's still a class act and better than any central midfielder we have.

He may have had his beliefs but he went about it entirely wrong. He knew the score with the set up so why throw a tantrum a week before the world cup? Don't care how good he is its the principal of the matter and I'm gonna suddenly respect him because 'we need him' Didn't look that way in recent matchs.

If any other Irish midfielder had walked out I can't imagine people defending Matty Holland or Lee Carsley for standing up for their 'beliefs'.

Dricky
07/04/2004, 2:48 PM
I for one am a person who thinks Keane was wronged.

but I don't think he should come back, had he been wronged and stay shut not bringing his fight with mic Mac to the front I'd say bring him back but even though he was wronged and was within his rights to blow up at Mic Mac (I don't blame him one bit I would of done the same) but had he kept his head and walked away from the fight then I would welcome him back and he'd be the bigger man for it.

Had he done that I'd welcome him back, he was wronged but that doesn't make his preformance after the event excusable, understandable yes but both parties were at fault so both should now be excluded.

lopez
07/04/2004, 5:48 PM
F*ck him!!!

1MickCollins
08/04/2004, 2:27 AM
The middle of the park is the key area at international level, no one can dominate that area like Keane can. Kerr knows it would be a different team with him and knows he needs Keane.

Charlton played McGrath there because he was a great ball winner and read the play well, likewise he played Lawrenson there from time to time. Who have we now in terms of ball-winning midfielders who can actually pass the ball forward to a team-mate as well?

Forget about friendly results, they mean absolutely nothing as there isn't any pressure. When the pressure was on against Russia at Lansdowne and away in Basel we saw what happened - do we really think that because we tied Brazil 0-0 and beat the Czechs 2-1 in friendlies that all is well again?

Reid looks like the one bright light since the EC qualifiers finished, he takes some of the load off Duff. The rest do not convince me - why people keep going on about Delap I don't know, have you seen him play?

Bring back Keane, I don't care what we do in friendlies. Clean slate next Spetember for WC2006 and erase the bad memories ( the McCarthy/Keane fiasco, not the team performances ) of WC2002 for good.

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 10:10 AM
FAI deny any meeting took place?contrary to what the text on aertel said,confirming a meeting

irwinsalegend
08/04/2004, 11:18 AM
He's coming back lads , like it or not.

I for one am glad to see him coming back as we are not excatly blessed with talent in the midfield and he can still do a world class job against world class players which may help us qualify for germany.

Plastic Paddy
08/04/2004, 11:24 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. And even then I'll seek a second opinion.

NeilMcD
08/04/2004, 11:34 AM
I hope he comes back for the sake of the team. I think as a supporter our job is to support the team and hope they can be as successful as possible YOu need to look at cold hard facts. Would the return of Roy Keane enable us to be more successful. Its a fact thaat it would, no argument. Therefore whatever your views on what he did and who he plays for etc it would have to be a good thing if he played for Ireland again. But to be honest the FAI have denied that a meeting is taking place so I think we should just forget about it until it actually happens and presume its not going to happen. The main things is we should not let personal opinions or players dictate how we support the team. To be honest if adolf hitler was and brilliant striker and he could partner robbie keane up front I would have him play its as simple as that.

Declan_Michael
08/04/2004, 11:37 AM
To be honest if adolf hitler was and brilliant striker and he could partner robbie keane up front I would have him play its as simple as that.

:eek: Ok, now I'm a little concerned.

Declan_Michael
08/04/2004, 11:38 AM
Same story in Brit.press today....

Even if RMK was a great bloke,IMO...even if we get to WC 2006,he wouldn't be in any fit state to play Int.footy @ ' his best'.......so he should be Forgotten & consigned to the dustbins of history,along with Eamonn Grumpy & his book......

well said that man! :D

Plastic Paddy
08/04/2004, 11:53 AM
Therefore whatever your views on what he did and who he plays for etc it would have to be a good thing if he played for Ireland again.

Would it? Do you really think so?

In my dictionary, "principles" comes before "prostitution". By having him back, we'd be peddling our dreams for the proverbial mess of pottage. He's trampled all over us before, and I for one don't want that to happen again.

ccfcman
08/04/2004, 12:27 PM
straight from the top that one is it?

only1kilbane
08/04/2004, 2:48 PM
Can we please stop this thread now. Its pointless he aint coming back . RIP Roy

NeilMcD
08/04/2004, 3:04 PM
No no no no, not one of those 'sure we would have won the World Cup if Mick hadn't sent him home' arguments.

I've checked out all the record books and it's official, even though Roy managed to stay for the full tournament in the USA in 1994, we still didn't win the World Cup.

See people like you dont deal in facts you twist what people say and then put up an argument against the twisted idea that you thilnk I argued. The fact is i said we woudl be more successful. Does that mean i said we woudl with the world cup no. But i do say we should believe we can win the world Cup at all times and go out there thinking we are going to do it. So if you are going to put points across and comment on what i have said and in fact quote me, make sure you actually read what i haev said rather than your twisted version of it.

NeilMcD
08/04/2004, 3:37 PM
Well that is a great way to support your team, it is our job to be optimistic. Who woud have believed South Korea getting to semis or America getting to quarters or Turkey getting to semis, or the same German team that we outplayed getting to the Final. So we should had have to believe that we are going to go as far as we can. It is funny that you are anti-Keane and then you go and post something like that which basically says you dont believe in your teams abilities to be the best. YOu were probably delighted with the draw in Amsterdam after leading 2-0. We shoudl expect and demand the best at all times and never accept second best. Otherwise we end up managing Sunderland in the First Division.