PDA

View Full Version : What of the future?

Riddickcule
20/05/2010, 8:33 PM
So, the FAIlure shower have had control for four years now, their time is nearly up unless the clubs vote them back in. Which i cannot see happening nor do i want it to happen. It seems to me that the League is a mere cost burden for the association. Circa 5 million is pumped into the league annually, to some this is a lot of money, imo not for a (professional) football league.

So what will happen after the 2011 season? It's not set in stone that the FAI will continue to control and develop the league. But what will happen if the clubs do vote them out? Could Platinum One come into the picture again?
I would appreciate a poll be made of this, I cannot see the options for a poll here, but mods please could you poll this i'd appreciate it.

- FAI are voted back in to continue control of the league. New participation agreement.

- Fintan Drury comes up from beneath his basement and proposes AIL.

- AIL is organised run both by the FAI and the IFA. 1 top division.

- AIL is organised run both by the FAI and the IFA. All senior clubs participate.

- AIL is a no show but the clubs still dont want the FAI. Good awl' Fintan proposes P1 form breakaway league for top LOI clubs.

- Another option of which I cant think of.

Whatever happens, there needs to be talks. Not little meetings, but a conference. Between all thats concerned with the top level of the game. We CAN have professional football in this country.

osarusan
20/05/2010, 8:36 PM
So, the FAIlure shower have had control for four years now, their time is nearly up unless the clubs vote them back in. Which i cannot see happening nor do i want it to happen. It seems to me that the League is a mere cost burden for the association. Circa 5 million is pumped into the league annually, to some this is a lot of money, imo not for a (professional) football league.

So what will happen after the 2011 season? It's not set in stone that the FAI will continue to control and develop the league. But what will happen if the clubs do vote them out? Could Platinum One come into the picture again?
I would appreciate a poll be made of this, I cannot see the options for a poll here, but mods please could you poll this i'd appreciate it.

- FAI are voted back in to continue control of the league. New participation agreement.

- Fintan Drury comes up from beneath his basement and proposes AIL.

- AIL is organised run both by the FAI and the IFA. 1 top division.

- AIL is organised run both by the FAI and the IFA. All senior clubs participate.

- AIL is a no show but the clubs still dont want the FAI. Good awl' Fintan proposes P1 form breakaway league for top LOI clubs.

Whatever happens, there needs to be talks. Not little meetings, but a conference. Between all thats concerned with the top level of the game. We CAN have professional football in this country.

You forgot one option.
'FAI continue to run the league, participation agreement stays exactly the same.'

That's the one I'd be voting for.

Riddickcule
20/05/2010, 8:44 PM
You forgot one option.
'FAI continue to run the league, participation agreement stays exactly the same.'

That's the one I'd be voting for.
Considering your club just lost the chance to host the biggest football club in the world, purely because of the associations bigotry, i am amazed you feel that way.

Mr A
20/05/2010, 8:47 PM
The clubs will stay with the FAI, there is no other realistic option. If they get their act together and work in concert they may get a slightly less restrictive agreement though.

osarusan
20/05/2010, 8:48 PM
Considering your club just lost the chance to host the biggest football club in the world, purely because of the associations bigotry, i am amazed you feel that way.

You asked 'what will happen?', not 'what would you like to happen?'

Riddickcule
20/05/2010, 8:50 PM
You asked 'what will happen?', not 'what would you like to happen?'
Your point is?

SkStu
20/05/2010, 8:52 PM
his point is he voted on what he thought most likely to happen.

osarusan
20/05/2010, 8:52 PM
That your choice of options doesn't include the option I think is most likely to be what happens.

Riddickcule
20/05/2010, 8:57 PM

There you go.

Dodge
20/05/2010, 9:06 PM
Haven't started one of these in a while riddickule. Must've been nearly 3 weeks

Platinum have absolutely ZERO interest in running the league. You can contact them directly if you don't believe me. Remember its been nearly 2 years sonce their last statement

No point having a poll on pie in the sky stuff.

Riddickcule
20/05/2010, 11:31 PM
My poll is what will the future be for our league..wtf how is that pie in the sky? This isn't just about P1 this is a serious thought i have had for a while now and would like to share it with all you great people.

Dodge are you honestly telling me you contacted them, how? Just a little e-mail proves nothing tbh.

Dodge
21/05/2010, 2:02 AM
There are two options only

1) fai continue
2) fai decide not to continue and clubs revert to running the show

the other options can't and won't happen.

Macy
21/05/2010, 7:41 AM
P1 wasn't a runner when first proposed, never mind now mid-depresssion. The Setanta cup shows, imo, that an AIL is far from the silver bullet some would envisage. In fact I'd argue there wouldn't even be a short term crowd boost.

Things will stay the same, with the one hope that they'll finally be a farce that'll break the camels back with regard to Delaney's position.

harps1954
21/05/2010, 8:53 AM
We'll know this day week - all clubs must inform the FAI by 28th May if they want to continue with the LOI being run by the FAI or not.

For what it's worth, I think the vast majority of clubs will stick with an FAI run LOI.

The FAI have done plenty wrong, but there have also improved many aspects of how the LOI is run - massive increase on prize money, MNS and 33 live games on RTE from next season are just three of the positive things that spring to mind.

Dodge
21/05/2010, 9:02 AM
and for the record I wish people would stop trying to fiddle about with the format and make up of the league. Pick one and get on with it

Far, far, far more important problems (grounds, policing, marketing etc etc)

pineapple stu
21/05/2010, 9:02 AM
For what it's worth, I think the vast majority of clubs will stick with an FAI run LOI.
I think that's the only thing worth discussing - the clubs staying with the FAI or going back to the old way.

Would the clubs vote to break away? What would change if they did? Presumably licencing would be a farce (no change there), prize money would plummet and MNS would be cancelled. Limerick would presumably still need FAI approval to host Barca. Is it a case taht Irish clubs are simply damned if they do and damned if they don't?

Riddickcule
21/05/2010, 1:49 PM
There have been minimal changes since the FAI came in. I think they could pull out because they have have there heads just above water according to their finances. The Setanta Cup can't tell us how successful an AIL would be, it's failing because its just another competition. It has nothing to do with the clubs participating.

There are all too many examples of leagues reforming and it has turned out a success, infact , i can't think of any league that has reformed which hasn't been a success. At home the obvious example is the rugby. England, Scotland, Denmark, Norway, Australia, USA. All examples of leagues which reformed or new leagues were created and were a success, so why not Ireland?

Dodge
21/05/2010, 1:59 PM
Every example you gave, the leagues gave MORE power to the national federation (and its debateable whether there's been any changes in some them eg Scotland) just like our clubs did

Riddickcule
21/05/2010, 2:31 PM
Every example you gave, the leagues gave MORE power to the national federation (and its debateable whether there's been any changes in some them eg Scotland) just like our clubs did
Wrong, England and Scotland broke away from their FA's and rightly so.

harps1954
21/05/2010, 3:39 PM

Not 100% sure you are correct here. Not sure how it works in Scotland, but in England it is the FA Premier League (the Football Association Premier League).

Both of these broke away from their Football Leagues, but not their FA's.

In the LOI, the old League of Ireland is now controlled by the FAI.

fieldofmarkets
21/05/2010, 4:33 PM
I don't think the MLS in Amercia is the same as their football association...although it is a centrally governed league with franchises.

If the clubs left...what exaclty would they be loosing? You hear €5M being quoted by the FAI but I wonder how that breaks down exactly. From what I read above, does the FAI get MNS on as part of the national team deal? Would MNS be completely unviable if this link was gone?

Are ground improvements a non-runner without FAI grants or could clubs still apply for those anyway?

Does the FAI get anything out of running the league. For instance, if the clubs were out, would the FAI have to pay them for a league XI to play man utd, an Ireland development team or any other fixture that might be scheduled for the Aviva in the future to pay the associations debts? Do they get something from UEFA for administering the domestic league (might not be money, could be other considerations).

All I am thinking is its not necessarily a clearcut yes to the vote coming up. At the very least the PA might need an adjustment in favour of the clubs. The clubs need to do some serious talking with each other first of course for this to get done. I haven't seen anything that suggests they are at all doing that.

Is a unanimous vote required, a sizeable majority or just 51% needed? Sorry for all the questions.

Dodge
21/05/2010, 4:58 PM

Englaish clubs moved from the Football league to the FA Premier League

Scotland was the same, they left the Socttish Football League (and nothing changed...)

Riddickcule
21/05/2010, 8:51 PM
Englaish clubs moved from the Football league to the FA Premier League

Scotland was the same, they left the Socttish Football League (and nothing changed...)
The Barclays Premier League has nothing to do with the FA at all. The league is owned by the clubs themselves. Same thing happened in Scotland.

Riddickcule
21/05/2010, 8:53 PM
and for the record I wish people would stop trying to fiddle about with the format and make up of the league. Pick one and get on with it

Far, far, far more important problems (grounds, policing, marketing etc etc)
I agree with you there entirely, but that seems to be all the FAI are doing. In fairness.

pineapple stu
21/05/2010, 9:15 PM
There are all too many examples of leagues reforming and it has turned out a success, infact , i can't think of any league that has reformed which hasn't been a success.
Care to explain to me how the League of Ireland's reform in 2006 was a success?

shantykelly
21/05/2010, 9:22 PM
it's arguable that the 'reform' carried out to the league set up in england isnt a success - spiralling costs, obscene wages and transfer fees, losing touch with supporters, clubs existing with mounting debt, and so on. What would it take to knock out a club like united, or liverpool, or similar? reform for the sake of reform isnt necessarily a good thing.

Riddickcule
21/05/2010, 9:24 PM
Care to explain to me how the League of Ireland's reform in 2006 was a success?

No, because it wasn't :confused:

pineapple stu
21/05/2010, 9:25 PM
Yes it was. Big report into it, change of ownership, new plans, new marketing, new teams picked.

paudie
21/05/2010, 9:58 PM
Yes it was. Big report into it, change of ownership, new plans, new marketing, new teams picked.

Don't know if the FAI takeover was a success but would a club run league have been any better?

Surely most of the problems since 2006 have been caused by the clubs not being able to run themselves properly

pineapple stu
21/05/2010, 10:02 PM
Not disagreeing with that necessarily. Just challenging Riddickule's post that no league has reformed without success.

Riddickcule
21/05/2010, 11:07 PM
Not disagreeing with that necessarily. Just challenging Riddickule's post that no league has reformed without success.

Well thats because it wasn't reform it was still the same league.

pineapple stu
21/05/2010, 11:59 PM
SO why mention England so? Same league.

Dodge
22/05/2010, 12:05 AM
Well thats because it wasn't reform it was still the same league.

It wa MORE of a chance than the English equivalent.

Riddickcule
22/05/2010, 12:46 AM
SO why mention England so? Same league.
Yeah but the support was already there in England from the public, media etc.

pineapple stu
22/05/2010, 12:55 AM
You're just making criteria up to suit yourself now.

Riddickcule
22/05/2010, 5:01 PM
Stop scouring my posts for flaws and concentrate on the topic ffs.

A N Mouse
23/05/2010, 4:48 PM

And would you grow up ffs, anyone's perfectly entitled to pick holes in your 'argument', you could probably drive a bus through it as it is.

It was pointed out to you that this whole topic is flawed.

Meanwhile back in reality we know that the clubs will let the fai continue, as alternatives are thin on the ground, and attractive alternatives number about zero.

RĂ©iteoir
23/05/2010, 6:08 PM
There are all too many examples of leagues reforming and it has turned out a success, infact , i can't think of any league that has reformed which hasn't been a success. At home the obvious example is the rugby. England, Scotland, Denmark, Norway, Australia, USA. All examples of leagues which reformed or new leagues were created and were a success, so why not Ireland?

The Tippeligaen was just a change of name in 1991 - no new League was actually formed.

In fact - the only major change to the structure of Norwegian football comes at the end of this season with the shrinking of the 3rd Division. The Leagues have ALWAYS been under control of the NFF

pineapple stu
23/05/2010, 6:40 PM
You think proving your posts are nonsense is straying off topic?

Riddickcule
23/05/2010, 10:34 PM
You think proving your posts are nonsense is straying off topic?
Yep. Why are you all so confident the Fai is the future, tbh i could see them voted out after the amount of times they've been proven a joke. It would be far better having an independent agency running the top level. Which sole purpose is the league. The Fai have other things to worry about and the league is nothing but a cost burden in Abbotstown.

fionnsci
24/05/2010, 4:31 AM
Fai.........they've been proven a joke.

Nice crest, Riddickule.

Dodge
24/05/2010, 8:27 AM
Yep. Why are you all so confident the Fai is the future, tbh i could see them voted out after the amount of times they've been proven a joke. It would be far better having an independent agency running the top level. Which sole purpose is the league. The Fai have other things to worry about and the league is nothing but a cost burden in Abbotstown.

And where might this mythical beast be sleeping at the moment?