PDA

View Full Version : rovers tonight

max power
06/04/2004, 9:09 PM
first off great traveling support for an early kick off on a tuesday evening.....

great display by ALL the team from the front to the back of the pitch,the game srarted off very scrapy and both teams were getting to terms with eachother, rovers had an early chance when a rovers cross wasn't dealt with by the back four or digger and almost rolled into the corner but luckily hit the post and was cleared....

then o'neill struck ( and i don't mean a player ) the clown in yellow...gartland with a takcle on molloy which deserved a yellow at most, but no.....o'neill showed the straight red and off he went, a dreadful decision by a dreadful ref.... baker then went off to make place for prunty in the back four but town didn't put theie heads down, they kepted working hard...

so on to the second half and from the off rovers pushed hard and we resorted to playing the long ball over the top which keegan just couldn't get.....rovers pushed forward and got a corner from which eh a player scored ( i was so ****ed of i didn't listen to who scored it )...we were on the back foot for the next while until barrett began to get the ball at his feet and run at rovers which gave us some hope....on came martin for pip( who was on his last legs after a lot of running)....the fresh legs seemed to do something for us and we began to grow in confidence.....next we had francis for keegan and we pushed forward even more........

the game was moving forward when we got a corner, a bit of pinball fotball until the ball came out to martin and he hit a rasper into the roof of the net which sent our half of the stand into hysterics and it was set up for a big finish.....which didn't come as it seemed tired town legs were happy with a point and i was happy with that....

i have to say i was very happy with everyone, they didn't give up and maybe this game will be the kick strat to our season....roll on friday and judas

town team :

digger

murphy ferguson gartland dillon

kirby pip god baker

keegan barrett

player ratings :

digger :7

mauphy : 7

ferguson: 8

dillon : 8

kirby : 6.5

pip : 7

god :7.5

baker :6

keegan : 6.99

barrett : 8.5

martin : 7.75

prunty : 8

francis : 7

Terry Phelan
07/04/2004, 8:57 AM
Well impressed by the towns performance lastnight,great to see barry back.O'neill was brutal,no way was gartlands tackle a straight red.O'neill the donkey didnt even think twice about it.

Thought Barrett had a brill game,he never stopped working in the second half,seen that same confidence and power that we seen so much last season.

Once again,i spotted roddy collins at the game lastnight,this is the third town game he's been at this season.Whats the story,i should asked him for myself,will the next time!

Macy
07/04/2004, 9:12 AM
Thought it was a poor game. Yet again too many long balls, mainly from digger. Big men up front make teams play shít - we should be trying to get down the wings and get the crosses for Keego to head, not big toey's from digger for him to try and connect from.

I'd like to see the red card tackle again, but on reflection it was a lunge from behind, but as it was Molloy I won't blame Garto too much.

Barry was excellent tonight, and Dillon is great to have as cover at centre back as well - nearly looks better there than at full back. Midfield, if we can get either Paisley or Garto in there alongside Pip I think we'll be alright. Vinny's playing okay, but either of them two would have more presence and are better footballers. The two wingers want to knuckle down abit - no excuse on that pitch. Forwards did okay - not their fault that they were getting poor quality all night, although Barret should have buried that chance in the first half instead of going for top corner glory.

O'Neill was a disgrace - that's two games in a row that the ref has totally ruined the match.

I said 8 from the 4 games, and I would've had this as a draw.

If anyone's depressed with the way the seasons started, go and have a look at the Cork Forum - it's very amusing... :D

max power
07/04/2004, 9:14 AM
well said about the cork forum macy, look at the table, we're in fourth place and i think last night has kick started our season.....

BTW the linesman on our side was just as bad as o'neill

Xlex
07/04/2004, 9:15 AM
god

Is who exactly?

max power
07/04/2004, 9:15 AM
vinny.....

Xlex
07/04/2004, 9:22 AM
Right... wasn't there, needed to be sure.

Anyone else think Matthews makes substutions too late... 83 mins for Francis... what the **** are 7 or 8 mins gonna do?

Had hoped we'd have one more win rather than a draw under our belts... But can't be too ****ed...

max power
07/04/2004, 9:25 AM
subs were late, i thought francis would come on earlier as keegan looked very tired....

i'm happy that we have improved from the bohs game, but we need a win on friday and next tuesday before we go to tolka.....there should be a good traveling support on friday, nothing else to do...

steve staunton
07/04/2004, 10:08 AM
think terry is taking the **** now about roddie being at the game, id like to know what his problem is i was at the game and never saw him never mind smell him :confused:
i taught the town played far too many long balls ferguson as well as digger were main culprts how can you expect barret to run after lost causes every match, dillon had a good game cant say that about baker or o'neil for that matter :mad:
great support at the match though well done :cool:

barret 4 ireland

the 12 th man
07/04/2004, 10:17 AM
though barrett was always dangerous,was bit unlucky with his chances.thought ferguson looked a bit rusty but still did ok.
the prize for most enthuastic supporter on the night was that chap with the glasses sitting beside max power,who gave the officials a (deserved) torrid time :D

max power
07/04/2004, 10:21 AM
check out the star today, great pic of o'neill with an evil face on him sending of gratland....what a pr*ck

Terry Phelan
07/04/2004, 10:28 AM
yea,that photos in d indo as well,ah,i know who ya r now max,i was sitin jus behind ya.Honestly,roddy was at the game,cos i was keepin an eye out 4 him.

by the way steve me and a mate startin chantin barrett for ireland at the game lastnight.

who r ya steve?????

max power
07/04/2004, 10:36 AM
well my voice is in bits now and when rovers handled the ball in the box i broke the seat in front of me with a kick.....i think i'll have some herbal tea and relax in a darkned room so i'm ok to roar abuse at judas on friday.....

terry you should have said hello

steve staunton
07/04/2004, 11:06 AM
sorry terry didnt actually hear anyone chanting barret for ireland last night taught that guy in glasses was one mad s.o.b. was sitting in front of him but moved at half time :rolleyes:

just wondering did anyone else see roddie there surly someone other than terry saw him also town play long ball far too much we will never chalange for el if we keep doing it :mad:

max power
07/04/2004, 11:21 AM
i've been going on about this long ball rubbish for months now :mad:

a few of the lads did chant barrett for ireland towards the end of the game

the 12 th man
07/04/2004, 12:15 PM
mate startin chantin barrett for ireland at the game lastnight.

i suppose if glen crowe is considered good enough well then why not??

Macy
07/04/2004, 1:00 PM
i've been going on about this long ball rubbish for months now
Some of us have been going on about for years...

max power
07/04/2004, 1:11 PM
i know....i i've only mentioned it here over the last few months, but it is true....as we know if we keep it on the deck we can play real football

slim15_23
07/04/2004, 2:25 PM
Thought da town played very well seeing that we were playing against 12 men. i couldn't believe how the referee and his assistant missed the 5 or 6 handballs from Molley when they were only 10 yards away. Dillon and Barrett had great games. Can't really argue about the sending off of Gartland. He has to learn that you can let Molley have the ball in those areas because he's crap.

the 12 th man
07/04/2004, 2:49 PM
[QUOTE=slim15_23. i couldn't believe how the referee and his assistant missed the 5 or 6 handballs [/QUOTE]

one of those handballs, the rovers player stopped the ball using BOTH arms at the one time with the ref and linesman standing right beside him.

slim15_23
07/04/2004, 2:55 PM
I think the eircom league should take leaf from the Scottish league and try and get sponsorship for referees and assistants from SPECSAVERS. It may improve the standard of the refereeing

Bosco
07/04/2004, 10:59 PM
Are best performance so far this season.Thought it went very dead but gartlands sending off sparked it into life.Thought our defence were very solid but were(along with digger) to quick to hoof it up the field.
Player ratings:
Digger 6.5 Nearly let slip at the start when the ball hit the post.Overall solid but his kick outs didn't do us any favours.

Spud 7.5 Think this season so far he's nearly back to his best.Is not afraid to run with the ball and does not hoof it too often.At one stage i was very impressed when we were on the counter attack and instead of belting it up to barret and keegan,he cut into the centre and ran with it.

Barry 7:Very solid.But distribution is poor.

Dillon 7:Same as barry

Gartland 5.5:Wasn't on long enough to judge.Aldo o'neill was poor,I can't really blame him for the sending off, it was a bad tackle

Baker 6:Got alot of the ball but the rovers fans got to him.Good decision to take him off.

Vinnie 7:Wore his heart on his shirt as usuall.

Pip 7:Improvement from recent games.Helped out at the back alot.

Kirby 7:Thought he was very good.Dissappeared for periods of the game but was affective when on the ball

Keegan 7.5:Made use out of the the long balls.Some great headers

Barrett 8:He got his confidence back last night.Saw some flashes of brilliance on the right wing that made him big last season.Should have done better with his chance at the start.

Prunty 7:Some great cross-field passes.He was given the ball on his weak side alot last night and everyone knows he has no right foot.

Martin 7:Goal was fantastic. I'd like to see him get a start as i feel our midfield needs to be livened up

the 12 th man
08/04/2004, 7:17 AM
check out the star today, great pic of o'neill with an evil face on him

saw the photo all right.the guy looks demented.gartland looks like he is about to burst into tears .
if this is the standard of refereeing going on well then the e/l has a problem.
so is it favoritism or just plain bad calls made on both teams.??

Macy
08/04/2004, 8:02 AM
so is it favoritism or just plain bad calls made on both teams.??
Bad calls the other night.... Till the sending off it was all against Longford, middle period plain incompetence, last 20-25mins all against Shamrocks....