PDA

View Full Version : Splitting a sky signal....

Lev Yashin
19/05/2010, 12:31 PM
Is it possible...have googled it but cant find a definate answer.

i.e can i take the single cable coming into my house and split it assuming i have a second box???

dcfc_1928
19/05/2010, 12:38 PM
Can I split one satellite feed into two feeds?

This is a fairly common question. What should you do if you only have one feed from the dish, and two sockets on a box? Sadly, you can't split a single feed from an LNB to let it feed two tuners at the same time.

Why? Satellite receivers send voltage and signals to the LNB to get the LNB to change frequency and 'polarisation' (some channels are Vertical and some are Horizontal). If you have two receivers both trying to switch a single LNB, one box will win, and one will lose.

You can get an LNB switch box that will let you switch your single feed to either of two receivers - just not to feed both at the same time. These are no substitute for having two dedicated feeds from the LNB though.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/lnb.html

Macy
19/05/2010, 1:01 PM
There are splitters, but you can only watch the same transponder on both boxes. If it's different rooms, you'd be better get a new lnb (assuming it's a single lnb there) - if you can access the dish it's not that big a job if you are careful not to move the dish. Satellite.ie is as cheap as anywhere, and Tony is helpful in my experience. Boards.ie also have a satellite forum in there tech part, it might be under the FAQ's there. What are you trying to do?

dahamsta
19/05/2010, 1:39 PM
As as been said, you need a double LNB or better. I'd second the recommendation of Tony in Satellite.ie, I've never dealt with him personally but he's very knowledgeable and well respected on Boards.

Lev Yashin
19/05/2010, 2:56 PM
Thanks alot lads!!!