PDA

View Full Version : Super Alan Matthews

outspoken
18/05/2010, 7:03 PM
Sorry to here Alan has gone from Drogheda he clearly had no other option as Alan is not the tipe of man to walk away from a challenge.

Im sure he will be back in Football very soon and I see theres a group on facebook asking him to return to DE TOWN (and no its not my group).

What does evrey one else think?

Cabs88
18/05/2010, 8:31 PM
wasn't his biggest fan near the end of his tenure here as I feel for the players at his disposal very often his tactical knowledge was poor and favoured players (and not necessarily good ones - still cant believe Darragh Sheridan started second leg against Vaduz) but in fairness will always be remembered here for the trophies he won..

L.T.F.C.
18/05/2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry to here Alan has gone from Drogheda he clearly had no other option as Alan is not the tipe of man to walk away from a challenge.

Im sure he will be back in Football very soon and I see theres a group on facebook asking him to return to DE TOWN (and no its not my group).

What does evrey one else think?
I think you should spell-check your posts before you post them.

As for Alan Matthews, he wasn't the greatest in my opinion and I echo what Cabs88 is saying.
Had favourites and stuck to them. However, 2007 was a fantastic season.

The Insider
18/05/2010, 11:09 PM
Echo the posts above, yes we had some great moments but some of his team selections were questionable. Darragh Sheridan, nice guy but not a footballer. Also a lot of fans found Matthews stand offish, compared to King Kenny and even Lawlor. Cant see Matthews coming back to us, a. we have a manager at the moment and b. the way he criticised the club when he left I cant see him coming back or the committee welcoming him back.

Town Legend
18/05/2010, 11:34 PM
Was it not the previous committee he had gripes with? I'm sure if the committee now were looking for someone they'd have no hesitation in approaching him. But as stated above we have a manager so no need for them to go looking for another.

The Insider
18/05/2010, 11:40 PM
Was it not the previous committee he had gripes with? I'm sure if the committee now were looking for someone they'd have no hesitation in approaching him. But as stated above we have a manager so no need for them to go looking for another.

No a lot of the present committee (including executive) were there when Matthews was there. The chairman was the one he had the biggest gripe with, if memory serves me correct. Anyway we've got a manager and lets get behind him and the team.

Town Legend
18/05/2010, 11:47 PM
Fair enough. Was just told that from some other lad in the 'supposed' know!!!

The Insider
19/05/2010, 12:02 AM
I've a 'source' :) Ah we're going to hear diff stories, he said this, he didnt do that etc.. I remember reading an interview after he resigned and he had a dig at the club and chairman. Who knows we might see him in the Flansiro this year, as Shelbourne manager or number 2.

Longfordian
19/05/2010, 1:15 AM
He was a bit brassed off at the time alright and there were a few fences had to be mended but he's seen where the committee were coming from in severely cutting the budget with the events of recent years I believe. Don't think there was any long term falling outs. We couldn't afford him and I don't think he'd be in any rush to come back just yet though in any event, he's not a massive fan of the First Division, who is?!. He's back working in the bank and I'd imagine that's demanding enough these days too. Shels would be the only club I could see him dropping down for, he's always been close to the people there.

Macy
19/05/2010, 9:31 AM
Even now, he doesn't get the credit he deserves from Town fans, he'd be mental to come back! Nobody can argue with his record, even the fact we were so close to staying up his last year was some achievement imo. That he wasn't as good as Kenny at small talk is niether here nor there imo, he's here to manage the team not manage the fans egos.

However, would I want him back? No, you should never go back.

Tallanted
19/05/2010, 10:59 AM
Agree never go back, as for Matthews love him or not he was our most successful manager, Kenny got us to where we were and Matthews pushed us on to success. But as for him comin back forget it not gonna happen and certainly hope it doesnt. We shouldn't have been relegated but we were and we should be lookin forward not back!

De Town
19/05/2010, 11:59 AM

As for Alan Matthews, he wasn't the greatest in my opinion and I echo what Cabs88 is saying.

I think you should have a look at your own spelling before criticising others.

With regards to Mathews, he definitely wouldn't come back to us when we're in the 1st division, and you can't blame him. How about we forget about that thought though and get behind our current manager?!

L.T.F.C.
19/05/2010, 1:17 PM

With regards to Mathews, he definitely wouldn't come back to us when we're in the 1st division, and you can't blame him. How about we forget about that thought though and get behind our current manager?!
Where was my mistake?

Martinho II
19/05/2010, 5:52 PM

I agree with LTFC theres nothing wrong with his spelling as per post you linked.. But I want to make the point that in yer same post it was you that spelt Matthews name wrong not him...

Thats the last i am going to say on it as the thread is getting pettyish..

De Town
19/05/2010, 5:56 PM
Mathews only has 1 T.

outspoken
19/05/2010, 6:09 PM
Was having a great debate with Mourtniho and Emmit Ryan on the way back from Harps game... who is the greatest Town manager of all time. At the end of the day it bolid down to Matthews and Kenny as expected and the point was raised that without Kenny there would have been no Matthews so who is the greatest. Debate....

Martinho II
19/05/2010, 6:31 PM
Mathews only has 1 T.

Every newspaper I read always spells Matthews but I do take your point that it can be spelt that way too.. We agree to disagree on that on so.!

As for my alltime manager it has to be Stephen Kenny - if he never existed as manager with us we would never have won all those trophies and would have never being promoted and I like to think that if he had stayed he would have won the same amount of trophies as was what Alan Matthews won with us..

Longfordian
19/05/2010, 7:06 PM
Newspapers that I've seen nearly always spell it Mathews as that's how he spells it. Look at any of our old programmes and see his notes. Not a big deal anyway.

De Town
19/05/2010, 9:24 PM
Every newspaper I read always spells Matthews but I do take your point that it can be spelt that way too.. We agree to disagree on that on so.!
Yep, and they're all wrong! Anyway...

RockofGibraltar
19/05/2010, 11:43 PM
ah lads this is the most pathetic set of posts ive ever read, argueing over how many t's are in a mans name, for gods sake, this forum really has gone down hill in recent months

Longfordian
20/05/2010, 12:21 AM
You're right actually it is a ridiculous argument and I apologise for my contribution!. The forum is much like our team, it starts the pre-season enthusiastic but gets ever more depressing as the weeks go by.

Macy
20/05/2010, 8:36 AM
Pointless arguments are what internet forums are all about! I don't see why anyone bar the man himself would be that bothered though.

Greatest Manager - Mathews/Matthews. It's all about the medal haul...

De Town
20/05/2010, 1:14 PM
Yeah apologies for starting that little petty argument, anything to keep me away from exam study! :)

Rocky77
20/05/2010, 4:10 PM
My tuppence worth.

There is one 'T' in Alan Mathews. To spell it any other way is incorrect. There is no argument to the contrary - anywhere it's spelled Matthews is an error, it isn't an either/or. I need to be quite emphatic about this as it is a long-held bugbear of mine.

Secondly, if he isn't manager of Shelbourne by the end of the season I will be staggered.

Longfordian
20/05/2010, 6:10 PM
Secondly, if he isn't manager of Shelbourne by the end of the season I will be staggered.

Agree with you there it's always been a matter of time before he ends up back there. If they hadn't been demoted for the 2007 season he may well have left us to go there I believe.

RockofGibraltar
20/05/2010, 8:50 PM
My tuppence worth.

There is one 'T' in Alan Mathews. To spell it any other way is incorrect. There is no argument to the contrary - anywhere it's spelled Matthews is an error, it isn't an either/or. I need to be quite emphatic about this as it is a long-held bugbear of mine.

are you actually serious?

Macy
20/05/2010, 10:39 PM
You'd want to get a life Rockky...

Rocky77
21/05/2010, 12:14 AM
My obsession is two-fold. a) I'm an unapologetic, pedantic journalist. b) my own surname gets spelled wrong a million ways to sunset. But mostly it's because of a)... :)

Awwwwh Farrell
21/05/2010, 10:32 PM

i agree with the spellcheck and i think your getting out of your box now with all these threads :P

Town Legend
22/05/2010, 1:00 AM
Just to throw my bit in I've only seen Alan have his name spelt Mathews. I always thought Mathews spelt it with two T's and was always saying it was spelt wrong but sure the tv, papers and the programmes couldn't all be wrong...........could they?;)