PDA

View Full Version : First Casulty of the season

centre mid
17/05/2010, 6:02 PM
Alan Mathews has apprently parted company with Drogheda.

Doomofman
17/05/2010, 6:04 PM
It's official... On Drogheda's site...

Ciaran W
17/05/2010, 6:15 PM
Just said it on Mns

Boo_Boy
17/05/2010, 6:16 PM
Trust our highlights to be on first when I'm late home...we're usually one of the last teams on MNS.

Schumi
17/05/2010, 6:17 PM
Hard to blame him looking at the highlights of their Sligo game. The players didn't seem to care at all.

Doomofman
17/05/2010, 6:17 PM
They actually had Setanta highlights on first ... Then Dundalk/Galway... Then UCD/Rovers and THEN Sligo :P

Also... Steve Staunton for Drogheda manager? hahaha

shep
17/05/2010, 6:20 PM
Giller a cert i reckon

holidaysong
17/05/2010, 6:23 PM
Also... Steve Staunton for Drogheda manager? hahaha

No Dundalk man should take that job!

Ciaran W
17/05/2010, 6:27 PM
Was this only Mathews second season with drogheda ?

Dunny
17/05/2010, 6:43 PM
Yeah.

Mr A
17/05/2010, 7:16 PM
Gotta love the LOI, I saw this thread and thought a club had gone under.

SkStu
17/05/2010, 7:17 PM
Gotta love the LOI, I saw this thread and thought a club had gone under.

that doesnt happen until at least page 36...

ndrog
17/05/2010, 9:31 PM

Believe me pal none would get it ! especially that gimp ./

**FrOsTy**
17/05/2010, 9:42 PM
Gareth Cronin - Drogs

Shels sack Keely

Matthews - Shels!

PartySaint
17/05/2010, 9:43 PM
Believe me pal none would get it ! especially that gimp ./

Does that include ex Dundalk managers?? Keep your hands off John Gill

MeathDrog
17/05/2010, 10:37 PM
He was born in Drogheda though. Still, no thanks. :)

Ezeikial
17/05/2010, 11:51 PM
Does that include ex Dundalk managers?? Keep your hands off John Gill

Jim McLaughlin and Eddie May are two recent ex Dundalk managers who polluted themselves (only kidding ndrog - stay calm!!!).

John Gill would be a good appointment - he knows the First Division quite well

Duggie
18/05/2010, 1:51 PM
knock knock
who's there
hi my name is roddy.......

Roo69
18/05/2010, 2:49 PM
Who will be in charge for Friday nights game against us? Are they looking to have someone installed before then?

El-Pietro
18/05/2010, 4:41 PM
Paul Doolin perhaps? Roddy COllins?

Doolin probably isnt interested but Shoddy would take any job going

ndrog
18/05/2010, 4:59 PM
Jim McLaughlin and Eddie May are two recent ex Dundalk managers who polluted themselves (only kidding ndrog - stay calm!!!).

John Gill would be a good appointment - he knows the First Division quite well

Your right about gill tbh .He knows the first div like the back of his hand , how many years did he manage dundalk in it for ?

centre mid
18/05/2010, 5:03 PM
Only 21 posts before it decended into a louth bitchfest.

Dunny
18/05/2010, 5:25 PM
Your right about gill tbh .He knows the first div like the back of his hand , how many years did he manage dundalk in it for ?

Yes, YOU are in a position to have a dig at us!LOL......18 points behind us is it..?:clap:

ndrog
18/05/2010, 9:25 PM
It think you will find it was one of YOU that started talking about the first div ! I merely asked how many years gill was your manager in it for ?

Ezeikial
18/05/2010, 9:47 PM
It think you will find it was one of YOU that started talking about the first div ! I merely asked how many years gill was your manager in it for ?

It was 3 long years

So if ye appoint him and he repeats the trick, he could have ye back in the premier in 2014. Good luck, we'll miss ye!

Dunny
18/05/2010, 9:51 PM
It was 3 long years

So if ye appoint him and he repeats the trick, he could have ye back in the premier in 2014. Good luck, we'll miss ye!

:D:D:D

Dead_Star
19/05/2010, 4:07 PM
Shame what he done with us last season was unreal. Made us really hard to beat, don't know what is going on this year as our defence is all over the place. On paper we have a better team than last year but I think losing Conner Kenna & Chambers was a blow. Plus some of the signings this year just dont seem up for it.

White Horse
20/05/2010, 10:42 AM
Shame what he done with us last season was unreal. Made us really hard to beat, don't know what is going on this year as our defence is all over the place. On paper we have a better team than last year but I think losing Conner Kenna & Chambers was a blow. Plus some of the signings this year just dont seem up for it.

I thought Matthews and Drogheda's performance in the 2009 season was exceptional. Given the events at the start pf the season, it was like a league win.

However, this year there seems to be no enthusiasm, effort, passion, or disire in the club. This is how it appears from the outside. It is almost as if everyone accepts that the club is doomed and are just waiting for it to go out of existence. Fans who would practicully tatto their newborn kids with a star and crescent aren't even bothering to go anymore. I'm not sure what can be done to arrest the decline and growing apathy.

PartySaint
20/05/2010, 11:14 AM

If Kennavaro performed as well last year as he has been this year any team in the league would miss him, IMO he is the best defender in the league at the moment

1st time post
20/05/2010, 10:33 PM

Im only going on what ive seen in our 2 games this year and on MNS but it would seem that if Jamie Harris is taking a paycheck off ye he is a disgrace to the term professional footballer. Taught he would actually be a good signing for ye but he seems to be at the heart of all your problems since the first day of the season and his reaction to all our goals Sat nite is not exactly what ya want off your big, experienced centre-half. Totallytotally disinterested. Again only on what ive seen but would Drogs fans agree??

ndrog
20/05/2010, 10:48 PM
Im only going on what ive seen in our 2 games this year and on MNS but it would seem that if Jamie Harris is taking a paycheck off ye he is a disgrace to the term professional footballer. Taught he would actually be a good signing for ye but he seems to be at the heart of all your problems since the first day of the season and his reaction to all our goals Sat nite is not exactly what ya want off your big, experienced centre-half. Totallytotally disinterested. Again only on what ive seen but would Drogs fans agree??

At this moment in time i would agree entirely . I wish hed just get lost now before it gets worse tbh .Hope im wrong and his form picks up , doubt it though .

Riddickcule
20/05/2010, 11:33 PM
Lads we'll swap yaz Mathews for Gormley.....Please.

Dead_Star
21/05/2010, 12:28 AM
Harris has been muck, so have most of the new players this year. Matthews has to take some of the blame for that but as I said in my previous post on paper we have a better team this year. Last year we had a team that was put together two weeks before the start of the season but they had a lot more fight than the players that we brought in this year. Even at the start of last year when we went 10/11 games without a win you could see that the players were giving everything. They went out with the right attitude every week and eventually it paid off. I was optimistic at the start of the season that we'd stay up, I'm not now.

White Horse - There are a lot of people that are still trying to fight for the club so I don't think that we are just waiting for the club to go out of existence. I do agree that we have lost a large number of supporters for various reasons over the last year or so and it’s going to be very hard to get them back. Some of the lads that used to go to games with me and did so before we were successful haven't step foot in United Park this year, which is very disheartening.

I have heard Brain King has left as well, not 100% sure if this is true but if it is there is something seriously wrong behind scenes.

WindmillWarrior
21/05/2010, 7:40 AM
I thought Matthews and Drogheda's performance in the 2009 season was exceptional. Given the events at the start pf the season, it was like a league win.

However, this year there seems to be no enthusiasm, effort, passion, or disire in the club. This is how it appears from the outside. It is almost as if everyone accepts that the club is doomed and are just waiting for it to go out of existence. Fans who would practicully tatto their newborn kids with a star and crescent aren't even bothering to go anymore. I'm not sure what can be done to arrest the decline and growing apathy.

Spot on.

WindmillWarrior
21/05/2010, 7:40 AM

Again, spot on.

oriel
21/05/2010, 6:25 PM
Its going to be a very very hard job for anyone to take this role. There is and has been a huge lack of interest in even the senior players at putting in a half decent shift. The signs were there from the start of this season that this particular team AM moulded together just had not got the guts to grind out results. From Harris been outsprinted on day one from inside the opposition`s half by UCD (Bolger was it ?) who ran half the lenght of the pitch to score. Also against us on week 2 a decent side would have just shut up shop at 2-0 up away from home at HT.

I feel sorry for the fans here, as to be fair they`re not a bad lot. The one worry I would have if I was one, would be Drogs just 'dont do the FD', their core support never really got into supporting them at this level and crowds previously dropped to low hundreds.

I think all of this could have been avoided if the correct course of action was applied in Feb 2009 when they should have been treated just like Shels, previously and later Derry and Cork and relegated to the FD.

At least then they could have started to re-build at a less demanding level and made gradual improvements, however long it took. And it look us long enough !

pineapple stu
21/05/2010, 9:24 PM
From Harris been outsprinted on day one from inside the opposition`s half by UCD (Bolger was it ?) who ran half the lenght of the pitch to score.!
That was Killer.

PAuSamgufMg

(Sorry - any excuse! :) )

CSFShels
21/05/2010, 10:37 PM
Matthews will be taking over as manager for us during the week. Keely moving in to some other role apparently. All but confirmed.

Cosmo
22/05/2010, 1:06 AM
Its going to be a very very hard job for anyone to take this role.

Dont entiresly agree with that - theres a bit of talent in the team - its just bout getting it out of them - their attitude has been muck all season, no effort at all (unlike last season) - i dont know why they wouldnt play under matthews - but the talents there to keep us up, even if its via the playoff (which is our only hope at this stage tbh!!!)

Dunny
30/05/2010, 8:13 PM
Alan Mathews and Roddy on LMFM

http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/LMFM/2010/05/30/alanandroddy.mp3