PDA

View Full Version : Richard Sadlier reason for quitting Irish Football.

Pages : [1] 2

tallaghthoop
16/05/2010, 9:45 PM
Small-mindedness that drove me out of Irish football

By Richard Sadlier
Sunday May 16 2010

It was a level of exposure that money can't buy. Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid debut was to happen on Irish soil in a League of Ireland ground.

Although most people would tune in to see Real Madrid rather than Shamrock Rovers, the fixture presented an opportunity for the domestic game to figure in at least the conversations of Irish football fans all over the country for the first time in a long time.

However, a request from local rivals Bohemians the month before left me stunned. It was the phone call which brought about my decision to quit the League of Ireland.

In a staggering display of small-mindedness and self-interest, I was asked to lend my support, and that of St Patrick's Athletic, to a formal objection by Bohs against the game going ahead. Their concern was that the game would affect the attendance at their Champions League game two nights later if they were drawn to play at home in the first leg. St Pat's were due to play in the Europa League the night after that (though we could also have been drawn away first) and they figured I would be of a like mind.

Have to say if the above is true its pretty sad on Bohs behalf, but a pretty lame reason for Sadlier to walk away for the game. I think the whole Jeff Kenna affair made his mind up. But for Bohs to try pull a stunt like that and try get St Pats on board, well i'll leave the rest to your imagination. Also for the love of me i can't understand why it would effect Bohs attendence, their fans are hardly going to come to Tallaght to watch the biggest club in the world over their own Champions league fixture.?????

CSFShels
16/05/2010, 10:15 PM
Think I can say with absolutely no doubt in my mind, this was NOT the reason he left Pats. But it suits his agenda, to blame someone else. The man did a bad job, Pats were almost relegated during his reign, and since he has left they've started to find themselves again.

OneRedArmy
16/05/2010, 10:32 PM
Whether it was the reason he left or not I've no idea, but its not hard to believe the story as told.

Whilst the FAI have made a bags of running the League, it was at least as bad when the clubs themselves were in charge under the previous regime.

I've come across more out and out small-minded morons in Irish football administration than I have anywhere else. Which is saying a lot, given I work in a bank...

Lamper.sffc
16/05/2010, 11:01 PM
Id say it was probably the straw that broke the camels back.

Jicked
16/05/2010, 11:01 PM
I find it hard to believe that's why Sadlier quit LoI football (maybe the straw that broke the camels back) but don't doubt the truth of his statement for a second.

CSFShels
16/05/2010, 11:04 PM
Oh don't me wrong, I don't doubt the story for a second, only thing I'm questioning is his motives for writing about it a year later (even if high-profile friendlies are the trendy topic in LOI football), just think he doesn't want to be forgotten by the Irish public. Wouldn't be good for his profile.

Jicked
16/05/2010, 11:07 PM
In fairness it's pretty apt when the LoI talk has been dominated by petty opposition to glamour friendly games. If he wasn't going to write about it this week when would he

de bowez
16/05/2010, 11:15 PM
Also good timing with Pats - Bohs on twice in a week.

MariborKev
16/05/2010, 11:24 PM
CSF Shels, he is probably better known now given that he appears as a staple on the Premiership.

Dodge
16/05/2010, 11:40 PM
Oh don't me wrong, I don't doubt the story for a second, only thing I'm questioning is his motives for writing about it a year later (even if high-profile friendlies are the trendy topic in LOI football), just think he doesn't want to be forgotten by the Irish public. Wouldn't be good for his profile.

He writes that column every week. I honestly can't see how you'd think that particular column would make him more well known

Mr A
17/05/2010, 9:02 AM
Let's be honest here- how many of us would remain involved with the league if it was not for devotion to our own clubs? Hardly a season goes by (at least in recent years) where I don't wonder why I'm wasting my time on it. I totally understand how someone would find themselves at a point where they throw their hat at it.

But also, of course, it's f****ng fantastic.

But terrible too.

A face
17/05/2010, 10:03 AM
Let's be honest here- how many of us would remain involved with the league if it was not for devotion to our own clubs? Hardly a season goes by (at least in recent years) where I don't wonder why I'm wasting my time on it. I totally understand how someone would find themselves at a point where they throw their hat at it..

I hear ya, and i can completely believe that that is the motive for his leaving. Just as a fan of a LOI club the pettiness would get you down at times and at that level he was probably exposed to it alot more. He does seem like a character who wouldn't be too fond of having to put up and work through some of the politics that goes with the league. If someone just wanted to crack on and get with running a football club, having to constantly contend with all the bull then it will grate off you and wear you down.

Cant blame the guy. And to resolve it he isn't the one that needs to change either.

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 10:38 AM
I share your scepticism about whether this phone call from Bohs "brought about my decision to quit League of Ireland", but not your cynicism that his raising of it has anything to do with Bohs playing Pats twice in a week. I know its a outrageous thought, but maybe it is related to Limerick/Barcelona & FAI/Man U developments?

Nice one! So you are inferring that Bohs were right to object to the Shamrock Rovers V Real Madrid game?

The best way, but certainly not the only way. The Rovers V Real Madrid game was certainly good profile for Rovers and by extension for LoI.

Difficult to take seriously the comments of Sadlier - 12 months on (shows how "outraged" he was about it). Sadlier left St Pats because they were a hugely expensive failure under his "leadership" - huge wage bill for no success.
honestly dont know context of this phone call he refers to but it is a fact that shams game took away from euro ties that week and hardly surprising that clubs involved in europe would discuss that. Never materialised into an official complaint (unlike shams childish budget whine) so nothing to the "story" apart from a failed football administrator rewriting history to lessen his own shortcomings.

Had St Pats won the League would he have stepped down ?

osarusan
17/05/2010, 10:41 AM
Maybe the posts about Sadlier / Bohs / Rovers could be moved to that thread?

http://foot.ie/threads/135641-Richard-Sadlier-reason-for-quitting-Irish-Football.

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe the posts about Sadlier / Bohs / Rovers could be moved to that thread?

http://foot.ie/threads/135641-Richard-Sadlier-reason-for-quitting-Irish-Football.

Apols Osarusan for posting in wrong thread :confused: Its a Monday thing.

Dodge
17/05/2010, 10:46 AM
Had St Pats won the League would he have stepped down ?

Yes, 100%

Sadlier was chief executive and last year we made a profit.

Would you be commenting on this so strongly if he didn't slate Bohs? (proving his point btw)

osarusan is right though. The Limerick story is too big to have this mess it up

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 10:56 AM
Yes, 100%

Sadlier was chief executive and last year we made a profit.

Would you be commenting on this so strongly if he didn't slate Bohs? (proving his point btw)

osarusan is right though. The Limerick story is too big to have this mess it up

Have never spoken to any Pats fan who considered Sadliers time at pats anything but failure - unlike your good self I dont post other clubs accounts but try reading how much failure cost Pats in the last 2/3 years.
Were it not for your sugar daddy you would be Shels/Drogs/Cork without the throphies.
Wrong thread (again) so feel free to take it across to the appropriate place. Sadlier drumming up this non story 12 months on reeks of revisionism - rewriting history to explain his own failure,

Dodge
17/05/2010, 11:17 AM
Have never spoken to any Pats fan who considered Sadliers time at pats anything but failure
Suggest you talk to more Pats fans, maybe ones who were around before he came on board and remember the mess. His only major error was appointing Kenna. he rightly, took no part in who we signed or who played from week to week. The implication that our relative failure on the pitch is solely his fault surely means that Bohs success is soley down to the Gerrys?

reading how much failure cost Pats in the last 2/3 years.
Were it not for your sugar daddy you would be Shels/Drogs/Cork without the throphies.
We never once went over budget, and we're now making a profit. Would fans of those clubs (the ones that still exist) swap places with us now?

Sadlier drumming up this non story 12 months on reeks of revisionism - rewriting history to explain his own failure,
Its pretty topical in fairness. Substitute Bohs for the FAI and the same small mindedness exists throughout the league. Everyone's out for No 1. If you were a regular reader of his columns, you'd know he has listed plenty of mistakes he's made.

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 11:36 AM
Suggest you talk to more Pats fans, maybe ones who were around before he came on board and remember the mess. His only major error was appointing Kenna. he rightly, took no part in who we signed or who played from week to week. The implication that our relative failure on the pitch is solely his fault surely means that Bohs success is soley down to the Gerrys?

We never once went over budget, and we're now making a profit. Would fans of those clubs (the ones that still exist) swap places with us now?

Its pretty topical in fairness. Substitute Bohs for the FAI and the same small mindedness exists throughout the league. Everyone's out for No 1. If you were a regular reader of his columns, you'd know he has listed plenty of mistakes he's made.

A couple of points (hopefully) to finish this silly distraction. according to a Bohs board member no request/phone call on behalf of the club to Saddlier RE lodging a complaint to the shams/ madrid match (impossible to determine if an unofficial call was made by an individual - but Bohs not reponsible for this IF it happened).
On e mailing him Saddlier confirmed to a bohs fan that this was "one example" of the type of thing that made him give up the game (cant link to e mail for obvious reasons) one of a number of things - a complete non story.

Rasputin
17/05/2010, 12:35 PM
But to be fair to Sadlier he said it was one of the reasons why he left.
I dont know how successfull or not his administration at Pats was, I think it would be Pats fans themselves who would be in the best position to answer that.
But from what I have seen of Sadlier and his writings I think hes a decent skin and he is a loss to our league.
He was progressive and I definetly got the impression he had the best interests of the league at heart.
Saying that I dont agree with everything he says but overall hes got his head screwed on and comes across as a decent bloke.

Dodge
17/05/2010, 12:59 PM
Oh and for the record, headlines in newspapers are written by sub editors, not the journalilsts/columnists

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 1:31 PM
Oh and for the record, headlines in newspapers are written by sub editors, not the journalilsts/columnists

And its up to journalists/columnists to confirm statements before putting them in print. Hope he can back up his "request from local rivals Bohemians" claim or else he should retract it.

Dodge
17/05/2010, 2:00 PM
Hmmm his word or the word of people who the courts have declared liars (the last Albion case), wonder what will happen there...

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 2:07 PM
Small-mindedness that drove me out of Irish football

By Richard Sadlier
Sunday May 16 2010

It was a level of exposure that money can't buy. Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid debut was to happen on Irish soil in a League of Ireland ground.

Although most people would tune in to see Real Madrid rather than Shamrock Rovers, the fixture presented an opportunity for the domestic game to figure in at least the conversations of Irish football fans all over the country for the first time in a long time.

However, a request from local rivals Bohemians the month before left me stunned. It was the phone call which brought about my decision to quit the League of Ireland.

In a staggering display of small-mindedness and self-interest, I was asked to lend my support, and that of St Patrick's Athletic, to a formal objection by Bohs against the game going ahead. Their concern was that the game would affect the attendance at their Champions League game two nights later if they were drawn to play at home in the first leg. St Pat's were due to play in the Europa League the night after that (though we could also have been drawn away first) and they figured I would be of a like mind.

Have to say if the above is true its pretty sad on Bohs behalf, but a pretty lame reason for Sadlier to walk away for the game. I think the whole Jeff Kenna affair made his mind up. But for Bohs to try pull a stunt like that and try get St Pats on board, well i'll leave the rest to your imagination. Also for the love of me i can't understand why it would effect Bohs attendence, their fans are hardly going to come to Tallaght to watch the biggest club in the world over their own Champions league fixture.?????

He has already backtracked on the embolded statement (now its ONE of the reasons) and we know there was no "formal objection by Bohs" so obviously Sadlier not on too close terms with the truth :rolleyes:

ifk101
17/05/2010, 2:10 PM
Richard Sadlier quit a position at Pats. Why all this waffle about the small mindedness of Irish football? Talk about delusions of grandeur. His position at Pats had nothing to do with promoting domestic football - that's the role of the League and the FAI. As an employee of Pats, his concern is the self-interests of Pats. Yes clubs can help each other out and work together, but its not Sadlier's role to determine how other clubs should go about their business. He's entitled to his opinion but quitting "Irish football" because Bohs were looking after their own interests is an odd argument. Irish football does not hold a monopoly on small minded pettiness. When faced with a challenge some people will put their head down and get on with it. Others will moan about it and moan themselves into acceptance that things can't be changed. Sadlier is a moaner.

SkStu
17/05/2010, 2:38 PM
well said ifk. If what Sadlier said is true then Bohs did the right thing by Bohs and i have no problem with that. I would commend any club who would do the same. In fact, maybe if Sadlier had looked after Pats interests a bit better he might still be more than a bit part columnist with very little to say.

PartySaint
17/05/2010, 2:56 PM
Stinks of Minnowism from Bohs if true

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 3:04 PM

As was said before Bohs NEVER lodged an objection to shams/madrid game so did not seek Pats or anyone else support for an objection (that never was).
Could have been an individual phoned Sadlier - cant prove/disprove that, but the club simply never lodged a "formal objection" (Saddliers quote).
The fact it took him twelve months to mention it and that he expects people to believe that this is why he left Pats indicates how little substance there is in this non story. Nothing to do with us beating Pats on saturday I'm sure :rolleyes: just coincidence he felt the need to air it now (given the resources wasted under his "leadership" - truely Fianna Failesque - I would be looking for any excuse as well).

Dodge
17/05/2010, 3:08 PM
FFS man, the timing is OBVIOUSLY related to the FAI/Limerick debacle. its nothing to do with Bohs or Pats games.

I see you still blaming him for all of Pats failings. Do you give all credit for Boish winning titles to the Gerrys?

(Oh and its possible that Bohs sought Pats support (and others) for a "formal objection" and seeing as none was forthcoming, they decided against it).

For sucha non story, you're posting about it enough

osarusan
17/05/2010, 3:09 PM
As was said before Bohs NEVER lodged an objection to shams/madrid game so did not seek Pats or anyone else support for an objection (that never was).
Could have been an individual phoned Sadlier - cant prove/disprove that, but the club simply never lodged a "formal objection" (Saddliers quote).

Sadlier never said that there was a 'formal objection' made (not according to the article which starts this thread anyway). He says he was contacted in order to get his and Pat's support for making one (which, according to you and other Bohs fans, was never actually made).

Just because a 'formal objection' wasn't actually made doesn't mean there weren't at one stage plans for making one.

kev mcq
17/05/2010, 3:13 PM
Also for the love of me i can't understand why it would effect Bohs attendence, their fans are hardly going to come to Tallaght to watch the biggest club in the world over their own Champions league fixture.?????

In fairness, I think calling Rovers 'the biggest club in the world' is a slight exaggeration.

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 3:15 PM
FFS man, the timing is OBVIOUSLY related to the FAI/Limerick debacle. its nothing to do with Bohs or Pats games.

I see you still blaming him for all of Pats failings. Do you give all credit for Boish winning titles to the Gerrys?

(Oh and its possible that Bohs sought Pats support (and others) for a "formal objection" and seeing as none was forthcoming, they decided against it).

For sucha non story, you're posting about it enough

Presumably should stay quiet and allow the only posts to Saddlier and his revisionist buddies like yourself ? Was he telling the truth saying this was the reason he quit Pats/LOI ? For gods sake he backtracked on that himself, how can anyone believe anything else in his "story" ? Was there ever a "formal complaint" ? No, another lie/exaggeration/whatever you're having yourself.
If you have ANY proof of any part of his allegations then post it and we can debate the substance of the issue not flawed half truths (and thats generous) from someone trying to rewrite his own failure.

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 3:19 PM
Sadlier never said that there was a 'formal objection' made (not according to the article which starts this thread anyway). He says he was contacted in order to get his and Pat's support for making one (which, according to you and other Bohs fans, was never actually made).

Just because a 'formal objection' wasn't actually made doesn't mean there weren't at one stage plans for making one.

........So now we should believe he gave up Pats/LOI because there was plans to maybe make a complaint about a friendly fixture ? Sweet devine God, how precious would that be ?

Rasputin
17/05/2010, 3:22 PM
In fairness, I think calling Rovers 'the biggest club in the world' is a slight exaggeration.
You have obviously never had any form contact with a Shams fan then.

Dodge
As precious as you getting upset over a "nonstory" about something which happened a year ago

Presumably

SkStu
can someone explain to me how and why this is minnowism becuase i fail to see how considering an objection to the timing of a glamour friendly when it threatens or could threaten attendance at your biggest game of the season is minnowism. Its perfectly reasonable to consider such a move.

Its actually a bit worrying that posters are so quick to stick the knife in Bohs here (though not all that surprising) without looking at the bigger picture and asking themselves if it was their own club in the same situation would they not think that considering lodging an objection would be a wise thing.

Why is trying to protect your own interests suddenly a bad thing or minnowism?

osarusan
17/05/2010, 3:31 PM
........So now we should believe he gave up Pats/LOI because there was plans to maybe make a complaint about a friendly fixture ? Sweet devine God, how precious would that be ?

I don't know nor care what happened.

All I'm doing is pointing out the lack of logic in the argument that "Bohs never made formal complaint = Sadlier must be lying about being contacted".

can someone explain to me how and why this is minnowism becuase i fail to see how considering an objection to the timing of a glamour friendly when it threatens or could threaten attendance at your biggest game of the season is minnowism. Its perfectly reasonable to consider such a move.

Why is trying to protect your own interests suddenly a bad thing or minnowism?
As I've just said, i don't know or care what happened.

But it's not beyond belief (to me at least) that bohs would just want to screw Rovers out of a friendly, but would portray it as being concerned about their own attendances for a Eurpoean game, just as it wasn't beyond belief (to me at least) that Barrett possibly contacted the Bohs player just to f**k with his head in the title run-in, under the pretext of a more legitimate reason regarding a potential transfer.

SkStu
17/05/2010, 3:42 PM
i find it more likely that there would be genuine concerns over affected attendances. Real are a huge draw and your average floating punter or neutral, if picking one game to attend that week, would be far likely to take in that game and the trump and fanfare that surrounded it than a CL qualifier. If you look at it objectively i think you'll find that the cause for concern was valid.

osarusan
17/05/2010, 3:44 PM
If you look at it objectively i think you'll find that the cause for concern was valid.

I wouldn't disagree, but i don't think it's beyond belief to suggest it was done (if indeed it was done at all) at least partly out of malice either.

Jicked
17/05/2010, 3:50 PM
i find it more likely that there would be genuine concerns over affected attendances. Real are a huge draw and your average floating punter or neutral, if picking one game to attend that week, would be far likely to take in that game and the trump and fanfare that surrounded it than a CL qualifier. If you look at it objectively i think you'll find that the cause for concern was valid.

I'd be a bit worried if the major match-day promotion you undertake is to stop people going to see Shamrock Rovers games. Perhaps it was our glamour tie against UCD on Friday night that meant you only brough 1,500 to a Cup final.

It was quite clearly done out of spite, I don't think you'll convince many that there was no malice involved.

A face
17/05/2010, 3:54 PM

There seems to be some truth to it alright so it definitely is minnowism. Guilty as charged in my eyes anyway. Thats said Bohs aren't the only club at it.

SkStu
17/05/2010, 4:17 PM
It was quite clearly done out of spite, I don't think you'll convince many that there was no malice involved.

I dont really care if i convince anyone or not. I would hope that next time something like that happens we actually do lodge a complaint.

tallaghthoop
17/05/2010, 4:23 PM
SKSTU your argument that the Real-Rovers fixture would have effected your attendence figures is a non-starter. Yes if you were playing a big name team maybe it might actually it would, but playing some average team that has qualified is not going to affect your figures. If SRFC are playing a CL game i will go no matter who Bohs are playing and vica versa, unless you are telling me Bohs supporters would go see Rovers-Real over thier own CL game.

What their motivations were well i don't know, but it stinks and looks really really bad on Bohs no matter what way you try dress it up. Unless Sadlier is lying through his teeth.

SkStu
17/05/2010, 4:33 PM
i specifically mentioned floating and neutral punters in my post above TH. A group of people that can and do make a big difference to the gate at all European games.

I dont think it looks bad at all. Firstly, the club didnt object and secondly, we were looking at a way to increase our own coffers or to nullify the danger of our coffers being badly affected. Shock! Horror!

Either way, its a good thing Sadlier wasnt around when Ollie was at his prime. He would have been even more of a quivering, self righteous mess.

Dalymountrower
17/05/2010, 4:34 PM
I'd be a bit worried if the major match-day promotion you undertake is to stop people going to see Shamrock Rovers games. Perhaps it was our glamour tie against UCD on Friday night that meant you only brough 1,500 to a Cup final.

The sports pages were dominated that week by the coverage of footballs equivalent of an exhibition match between the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals. Tales of Ronaldo playing hurling , some hooped player working in a crisp factory or such like , hooverd up all the coverage. The Champions League game got pushed into the background and that certainly affected the crowd and the potential sponsorship. Bohs had every right to object to the permission, my only problem is that it should have been done officially with a glove slap across Delaneys face.
As for malice, yep that would have been the sweetener, alas it was not to be.

Jicked
17/05/2010, 6:03 PM
did it affect the attendance, or publicity Bohs received though? Has anyone got the attendance figures of the two seasons they've been in the CL and see any serious difference?

Perhaps the smarter, more progressive, way of looking at the huge publicity our crisp factory players got would have been to use the fact every mainstream media outlet, for the first time since Shels v Depor were talking about the LoI in a hugely impressive and respectful light. You could have seized on the footballing buzz that was genuinely in the air by doing a big advertising push as opposed to emailing the usual pre-match press release to the Indo.

Shamrock Rovers aren't going to drag this league forward. bohemians certainly won't. If collectivly we all had a few more good news days like Rovers Real, Shels Depor, the Cork Derry title decider a few years back, and maybe Limerick Barca then we might start getting places. It was a big opportunity missed for the league in general that Bohs decided to get our game called off out of jealousy, instead of trying to maximise the potential it brought to Bohs that week if they put in the hard graft.

SkStu
17/05/2010, 6:38 PM
It was a big opportunity missed for the league in general that Bohs decided to get our game called off out of jealousy, instead of trying to maximise the potential it brought to Bohs that week if they put in the hard graft.

we did?

PartySaint
17/05/2010, 9:12 PM
I wonder what Bohs fans would be saying if this was the other way around, Im sure they would defend Rovers just like they are defending themselves

Charlie Darwin
17/05/2010, 10:42 PM
I'm sure there is some merit to the argument that Rovers-Real may have negatively affected the attendance at Bohs' European match, but it could equally have spurred a bit more interest in the domestic game and convinced some of those floating fans to take in a second game. More importantly, even if it was proven to have a negative effect on attendance, that's no justification for breaking a formal contract.

If what Sadlier says is true, it can only really be seen as an attempt by Bohs to get one over on their rivals. A horrendously misguided one, as it happens.

bingoballs
22/05/2010, 8:27 AM
Personally, I think the reason Sadlier left the LOI was because his head was too big to get in the gates of Richmond Park. He strikes me as being self indulgent and arrogant and I find it very hard to listen to him.