PDA

View Full Version : FAI want to move potential Bohs euro game

Pages : [1] 2

Quadruple1928
15/05/2010, 10:48 AM
In the Star today, if the Bohs game is on the same week, they want it moved for 'their' game against Man United. I can only imagine they will do the same if other clubs euro games are on that week.:mad:

A N Mouse
15/05/2010, 10:55 AM
Obviously the fai wouldn't be able to sanction any euro fixtures that week, due to third party commitments. :rolleyes:

feckin minows

Edit:

Just checked the seeding, and would seem some crowd called liverpool are potential opponents in the third round of the europa :D

cob655
15/05/2010, 10:58 AM
Their gone beyond a joke!
They think a friendly is more important than a champions league game!
Is this the last year of their contract to govern the league of ireland?I really hope the Plat One all ireland league is still workable due to the current economic situation and the clubs decide to go for that,because the fai do F-all for the league..

superfrank
15/05/2010, 11:00 AM
With this, and the Limerick Barca game, the FAI are showing themselves to be money-grabbing attention whores. What a joke they are.

They clealry have no interest in the LOI, only when it suits them, i.e. putting out an LOI XI for their glamour friendly and needing the league to have a national team.

PartySaint
15/05/2010, 11:15 AM
Their gone beyond a joke!
They think a friendly is more important than a champions league game!
Is this the last year of their contract to govern the league of ireland?I really hope the Plat One all ireland league is still workable due to the current economic situation and the clubs decide to go for that,because the fai do F-all for the league..

Yes the FAI are a joke but i dont think Platinum One is the way forward

LK37oldskool
15/05/2010, 11:45 AM
Yes the FAI are a joke but i dont think Platinum One is the way forward

they surely cant be any worse than the current shower.If there in it to make money they will at least be 100% committed to the venture not like the FAI who treat us like a bad smell at best.

LukeO
15/05/2010, 12:11 PM
From today's Sun...

FAI Barca axe fell on Bohs first

BOHEMIANS were also blocked from taking on Barcelona, SunSport can reveal.

Bohs were approached by Barca last month about a friendly fixture in Dublin at the end of July.

It is understood the Spanish champions spoke to Bohs before opening talks with Limerick FC.

A Bohs source said: "We went to the FAI but we didn't even submit a formal application as we were told 'no way'.

"We were told they were just back from Barcelona themselves to discuss a game in the Aviva Stadium next year."

Dalymount Park, with its capacity of less then 8,000, would not have satisfied demand.

The RDS would have been unavailable because of the Horse Show and hosting the first soccer game at the Aviva Stadium was definitely out.

The source added: "How are clubs supposed to survive when the FAI makes life difficult for you?

"Knocking us back for the Barcelona game is one thing but they've made it worse by organising a match against Manchester United when we could be playing in the Champions League on the same night.

"Which would be more important for Irish football? There's no doubt our crowd would be affected, even if we played the night before."

Tony Soprano
15/05/2010, 12:38 PM
In the Star today, if the Bohs game is on the same week, they want it moved for 'their' game against Man United. I can only imagine they will do the same if other clubs euro games are on that week.:mad:

at first thought it might have been so that they could use Aviva for Bohs CL game if they moved it to the following week, but Ireland play Argentina on Aug 11

must be because they want the Bohs players available for the Airtricty XI

Jicked
15/05/2010, 1:01 PM
This is the last year of the FAI's deal to run the league, correct? I can't see the clubs ok'ing them continuing on with running the league. I'm sure John Delaney and the boys will be delighted.

DannyInvincible
15/05/2010, 3:44 PM

Do they want UEFA to move the potential date? Farcical stuff. We'd be the laughing stock of Europe. Has anyone got the text of the full story? I don't mean to sound so sceptical, but this one truly boggles the mind.

On the Bohs-Barca friendly idea, if Barca were approaching Bohs about it - inviting Bohs to host them? - who would pay the fees to whom and whatnot?

As for the followng: "A Bohs source said: "We went to the FAI but we didn't even submit a formal application as we were told 'no way'."

I'd be very interested in hearing the FAI's perspective on that, because the way it's made sound here is as if they were immediately dismissive of Bohs' query without even considering any possibility of it materialising at all.

DannyInvincible
15/05/2010, 4:30 PM
Bit about it from Daniel McDonnell here: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/fais-manuturn-2181578.html

It's especially rich seeing as this would suggest it's entirely within the FAI's power to free up Limerick from their "obligation to retain ownership" of the date of their now-cancelled friendly with Barca.

But lobbying UEFA to have our national champions' potential competitive European date moved in order to facilitate a completely meaningless money-spinning friendly that already offends the senses enough?... Sweet Christ; talk about adding insult to injury. I can't really say much else other than if poor Jesus has any more tears left in his ducts over this lot, he'd be weeping tidal waves right now.

Tony Soprano
15/05/2010, 6:14 PM
that article suggests they only want to move Bohs from the Wednesday to the Tuesday if they are at home in the second leg and if the game is fixed for the Wednesday

Mr_Parker
15/05/2010, 6:45 PM
Is the FAI not formed by and run by member clubs? Do these member clubs not send reps to the FAI who in turn sit on the committees who pass such judgements? It would be interesting to know the make up of the committee who appear to be giving 2 fingers to their fellow members.

Schumi
15/05/2010, 6:59 PM
It would be interesting to know the make up of the committee who appear to be giving 2 fingers to their fellow members.

John Delaney
Lackey #1
Lackey #2

DannyInvincible
15/05/2010, 7:11 PM
that article suggests they only want to move Bohs from the Wednesday to the Tuesday if they are at home in the second leg and if the game is fixed for the Wednesday

Only?

Straightstory
15/05/2010, 7:59 PM
This is the last year of the FAI's deal to run the league, correct? I can't see the clubs ok'ing them continuing on with running the league. I'm sure John Delaney and the boys will be delighted.

It would be just brilliant of the clubs withdrew from the FAI and ditched Delaney.

Mr_Parker
15/05/2010, 8:24 PM
John Delaney
Lackey #1
Lackey #2

And which club sends Delaney to represent them?

Longfordian
15/05/2010, 8:32 PM
He got into the FAI through Waterford Utd but he's had nothing to do with them for years. Full time CEO I think he gave himself a 10 year contract a few years back

Schumi
15/05/2010, 9:08 PM
And which club sends Delaney to represent them?
Delaney United FC. The FAI is practically a dictatorship.

Mr_Parker
15/05/2010, 9:31 PM
He got into the FAI through Waterford Utd but he's had nothing to do with them for years. Full time CEO I think he gave himself a 10 year contract a few years back

So he is a paid employee there to do the bidding of the membership of the FAI ie the clubs. Such decisions need to be ratified by committee's made up of member club reps. So it doesn't cover my initial question about which reps ratified such.

MariborKev
15/05/2010, 9:44 PM
I don't think the board has any club reps, or at least any that there are are "non-affliated" now.

Mr_Parker
15/05/2010, 10:11 PM
I don't think the board has any club reps, or at least any that there are are "non-affliated" now.

So how do they get their positions and who elects them assuming it was the Board and not some other committee?

GUFCghost
15/05/2010, 10:17 PM
i herd something in the star saying galway would leave terryland,point and case the star is a load of bull****.

Mr A
16/05/2010, 6:23 PM
The responsibility for this decision as per the participation agreement lies solely with the league director, I don't think the clubs have any say, even indirectly.

rerun
16/05/2010, 6:32 PM
Would have been more than ideal to move the Bohs game to the Aviva as the opening game...

pineapple stu
16/05/2010, 7:22 PM
You couldn't depend on Bohs to get through a round though.

Mr_Parker
16/05/2010, 7:27 PM
The responsibility for this decision as per the participation agreement lies solely with the league director, I don't think the clubs have any say, even indirectly.

But surely it is the FAI and not the League that are responsible for Boh's entry into the Europa League. It's in their gift not the Leagues?

paudie
16/05/2010, 7:54 PM

who else is going to run it? Clubs rely on on FAI for grants and for Euro entry.

FAI treats clubs like crap cos the clubs have nowhere else to turn

Dodge
16/05/2010, 8:04 PM
They can run it themselves, like they did before the FAI took over. That was working though, wasn't it?

Wouldn't read too much into tabloid speculation. Journo probably read it on a message board somewhere

MariborKev
16/05/2010, 8:09 PM
Dodge,

Where would the commercial deals come from though? The League staff was about three when the clubs ran it, now there are 10 or so.

Dodge
16/05/2010, 8:24 PM
"that was working though"

was sarcasm.

I wouldn't trust the people who ruin LOI clubs to run an office sweep for me, never mind a professional national league

pineapple stu
16/05/2010, 8:26 PM
I wouldn't trust the people who ruin LOI clubs to run an office sweep for me, never mind a professional national league
Intentional typo?

Mr_Parker
16/05/2010, 8:30 PM
They can run it themselves, like they did before the FAI took over. That was working though, wasn't it?

But what has this decision got to do with those that run the League?

A quick read through the FAI rules & regs confirms my thoughts that such power lies with the FAI itself. The FAI being made up on all committee levels by club reps and club reps elected to divisional associations who in turn sit on FAI committees. The League is only a branch of the FAI responsible for a domestic league.

The FAI Rules clearly state who calls the shots.

http://www.fai.ie/images/stories/pdf/FAI_Rule_Book_2009.pdf

marinobohs
17/05/2010, 11:04 AM
But what has this decision got to do with those that run the League?

A quick read through the FAI rules & regs confirms my thoughts that such power lies with the FAI itself. The FAI being made up on all committee levels by club reps and club reps elected to divisional associations who in turn sit on FAI committees. The League is only a branch of the FAI responsible for a domestic league.

The FAI Rules clearly state who calls the shots.

http://www.fai.ie/images/stories/pdf/FAI_Rule_Book_2009.pdf

Irrespective of where the authority lies it is irresponsible and unacceptable for the FAI to be in discussion about moving a european tie without even the courtesy of talking to the club involved. furthermore it is demeening for our league to be requesting changes to Champions League games (European Premier Throphy) to facilitate a meaninless friendly.
Having the authority to do something does not make it any less stupid :rolleyes:

Mr_Parker
17/05/2010, 3:34 PM
Irrespective of where the authority lies it is irresponsible and unacceptable for the FAI to be in discussion about moving a european tie without even the courtesy of talking to the club involved. furthermore it is demeening for our league to be requesting changes to Champions League games (European Premier Throphy) to facilitate a meaninless friendly.
Having the authority to do something does not make it any less stupid :rolleyes:

If you read back you will see that I am actually defending your cause not providing a case for the FAI actions.

Macy
18/05/2010, 10:36 AM
I've no idea about the IFA, but imo one of the problems with the FAI has been that the League of Ireland is only on parity with other leagues, such as the school boy leagues. This has continually held back the development of the league, and ultimately development of players for the national team. Resources have been spread to thin rather than feeding resources down through a pyramid. This is just another example - the FAI don't give a toss as the LoI clubs don't have the power within the organisation, the junior and schoolboy leagues see no connection with the LoI clubs so won't support them, and the only thing the league clubs can do is not renew their contract. However, I'm not sure whether Delaney could really survive the League withdrawing, after talking up the benefits that we've supposedly enjoyed since.

TonyD
18/05/2010, 8:40 PM
, I'm not sure whether Delaney could really survive the League withdrawing, after talking up the benefits that we've supposedly enjoyed since.

Oh Delaney will survive. He's a cockroach after all, and they're reckoned to be the only creatures that could survive a nuclear war.

Dead_Star
19/05/2010, 2:27 PM
Do UEFA not prevent teams from different countries playing in the same city on the same night due to security? If so would they not ask the FAI to move their friendly?

I'm pretty sure that when Drogheda were in the UEFA cup a few years ago we were told that if our game was played in Dublin on the same night one of the Dublin teams were playing, then UEFA would make one of the teams change the tie and play away first. Think it was the year we played the team from San Mario and Pats were drawn against Odense, were to play the first leg at home but had to change as Pats were also paying the same night in Dublin.

UEFA made it clear that they we not have four sets of fan in the same city on the same night, however small the numbers were as it may cause security issues. Can you image if one of the Irish teams get drawn against a team from Eastern Europe/Russia and they see their playing in Dublin on the same night as an English team. I'm sure a few of their fans would be up for it even if the majority of fans supporting ManU would be "Orish".

I can't image Uefa allowing it, nor can I seeing them moving a competitive European game for a money spinning friendly that's designed to help bail the FAI out. (well I hope they wouldn't anyway)

paudie
24/05/2010, 11:26 AM
I CAN imagine UEFA switching the Bohs game. Delaney is well in with UEFA.

Straightstory
24/05/2010, 12:03 PM
Probably just applies to Europa League and Champions' League games. (It would be brilliant if Man U game was forced to move, though).

juan
24/05/2010, 3:00 PM
Oh Delaney will survive. He's a cockroach after all, and they're reckoned to be the only creatures that could survive a nuclear war.
He's actually a Terminator sent from the future to destroy League of Ireland football.

Réiteoir
24/05/2010, 3:39 PM
He's actually a Terminator sent from the future to destroy League of Ireland football.

Coming soon to RTÉ 2 - the first in a new series - Terminator: The Sean Connor Chronicles.

holidaysong
24/05/2010, 4:52 PM
Nicely done. :)

John83
24/05/2010, 9:32 PM
Actually, the cockroach's resistence to radiation, though substantially greater than ours, isn't exceptional. John Delaney's hasn't been established yet. All I'm saying is that the heart of science is experiment - we should do the necessary tests.

seand
24/05/2010, 9:39 PM
Actually, the cockroach's resistence to radiation, though substantially greater than ours, isn't exceptional. John Delaney's hasn't been established yet. All I'm saying is that the heart of science is experiment - we should do the necessary tests.

Careful now, the last thing we want is some mutant indestructible mega-John Delaney.

juan
25/05/2010, 12:49 AM
Johnzilla!

SkStu
25/05/2010, 2:50 AM
:D

the deceptijohns?

Boo_Boy
26/05/2010, 1:56 PM

Flour Beetles can survive 100 times the lethal dose of radiation for humans ;). Much better than a cockroach.

Mythbusters FTW.

osarusan
26/05/2010, 1:58 PM
Careful now, the last thing we want is some mutant indestructible mega-John Delaney.

Isn't that what we have at the moment?

bennocelt
26/05/2010, 3:42 PM

Im slowly catching up on Lost, at series 5 now, hit and miss but will John Delaney be appearing anytime in it soon in a parralel universe?