PDA

View Full Version : Mannus withdraws from NI squad - Any thoughts?

GreenStar
13/05/2010, 12:13 AM
From extratime.ie:
"Shamrock Rovers keeper Alan Mannus has made a tough call by confirming that he will not travel with the Northern Ireland squad for their tour of America.

The 27-year-old was included in Nigel Worthington's 18-man panel to take on Turkey and Chile in upcoming friendly games, although if he played in those games then he would miss crucial fixtures for The Hoops.

One of the games that the shot-stopper would have missed was the Dublin derby with Bohemians. So it is hardly surprising that he has announced that he won't be linking up for international duty.

"I feel sympathy for Alan [Mannus] at having to miss this opportunity; however he did not want to miss any Rovers games, particularly at this stage of the season," said Rovers manager Michael O'Neill.

"He has been in fantastic form this season and I am sure he will be included in future Northern Ireland squads."

Mannus remains hopeful of adding to his four senior caps, although he feels it was the best option to stick with Rovers at this crucial period of the season.

"Although I am disappointed to miss out on the tour, my priority at this time is with my club. I look forward to being included in future Northern Ireland squads," he said."

Clearly I'm a Rovers fan and I don't want this thread to degenerate into a slagging match but I'm genuinely interested in people's thoughts on this. Obviously it happens abroad all the time where a player withdraws from an international squad that has been picked for 'mickey-mouse' games but it's not often a LOI player gets a senior call-up so I'm interested to get a few opinions on this.

Again, please don't turn this into a slagging match or childishly nit-pick because it was posted by a Rovers fan.

Any thoughts?

MariborKev
13/05/2010, 12:15 AM
I think it's madness. Two league games v the chance to impress the international manager. If this was Trap in charge, I'd imagine Mannus would be finished internationally(but then, Trap would never call up a domesitc player........)

I all depends on how happy Worthington is with it though.

Dodge
13/05/2010, 12:17 AM
Again, please don't turn this into a slagging match or childishly nit-pick because it was posted by a Rovers fan.

At least you don't have a complex... :rolleyes:

My only thought was that it sounds funny to have the one press release use the phrase "included in future Northern Ireland squads" twice.

GreenStar
13/05/2010, 12:19 AM

My only thought was that it sounds funny to have the one press release use the phrase "included in future Northern Ireland squads" twice.

Wow! Only the second reply and there it is. Proved exactly why I said it!

Lim till i die
13/05/2010, 12:22 AM

BOYCOTT!!!!!!

In fairness to the guy maybe he's trying to prove to your hardocre that he isn't infact a Hun?? Or "prioritising his club career" as Mannus himself might put it ;)

GreenStar
I think it's madness. Two league games v the chance to impress the international manager. If this was Trap in charge, I'd imagine Mannus would be finished internationally(but then, Trap would never call up a domesitc player........)

I all depends on how happy Worthington is with it though.

I had that though myself Kev, especially when you look at the full NI squad that was announced. It's an 18-man squad inlcuding only 2 goalkeepers. I wonder how this will sit in the future, although Nigel Worthington may have come to some agreement with Mannus and/or Michael O'Neill regarding future squads.

Charlie Darwin
It's a strange decision. I doubt missing two games would have put him in danger of losing his spot, but maybe he got the sense he wouldn't get a game in America.

Dodge
13/05/2010, 12:24 AM

Proved nothing. i didn't not pick becauise you're a ROvers fan. I nit picked because your sentance was ridiculous. I do it to fans of all clubs with persuction complexes on this board

GreenStar
13/05/2010, 12:31 AM
Proved nothing. i didn't not pick becauise you're a ROvers fan. I nit picked because your sentance was ridiculous. I do it to fans of all clubs with persuction complexes on this board

Nothing ridiculous about it. If you don't have a comment on the subject matter, why post a comment at all? That's ridiculous! This isn't school. A question was asked. What's the problem? If you don't want to partake in the thread in an on-topic manner then don't post. It's very simple really.

So anyway, back on-topic, any thoughts on the Alan Mannus question?

Lim till i die
13/05/2010, 12:33 AM
any thoughts on the Alan Mannus question?

Whats the question again??

Couldn't really hear from on top of that horse you've got, he is pretty high tbf, at least 27 hands.

Lim till i die
13/05/2010, 12:39 AM
Nah, on a personal level I think Mannus is nuts.

On a professional level, Rovers must be delighted with him

PartySaint
13/05/2010, 12:39 AM
Im not that surprised, Youse have a massive game agaist Bohs that he would have missed, I'd say himself O'Neill and Worthington had a good chat about it and all agreed that it would be ok if he satyed, If he keeps performing for Rovers he should have no problem getting into the squad when the important international games come around

Jicked
13/05/2010, 1:02 AM

Jaysus, those quotes were from the player and his club manager. I don't know what you're implying at all?

Is it funny that Mannus will be included anyway in the future and thus this is no big deal, or that it's obvious that he won't be included again after taking such a stand and that using such a phrase twice is pointless?

I can't remember a LoI player turning down the chance to join a national team even if it is for just a friendly (let alone turning down a free hollyer to the States) so it does suggest that we're moving in a right direction.

Jicked
13/05/2010, 1:08 AM
Nah, on a personal level I think Mannus is nuts.

On a professional level, Rovers must be delighted with him

Absolutely. I'm delighted to see Mannus' dedication, even though I think it will cost him personally in the international game.

I've no doubt that it's related to what happened last year with Barry Murphy, who showed his dedication to the club that trained him up by feigning injury to get out of games. Murphy wasn't arsed with Rovers, and Michael O'Neill quite understandably from then on decided it would be worth getting another keeper on board. I'm pretty sure that this sort of decision will see Mannus keep his place for big games this year, unlike Murphy who was dropped last year for any big games.

Mannus is a better keeper any way, but when you compare their professional attitude/desire to play and win for Rovers, I'm thrilled we have a professional like Big Al who seems desperate to see Rovers succeed.

Dodge
13/05/2010, 1:09 AM
Wasn't implying anything. Just found the repititian funny

Charlie Darwin
13/05/2010, 2:25 AM
What was that about Barry Murphy?

drummerboy
13/05/2010, 7:54 AM
Well, for years, people on here complained about the lack of recognition the league gets from international managers. Now when a player is selected for his country, he decides to play for his club instead, which is his right. A tad ironic, me thinks.

Jicked
13/05/2010, 9:52 AM
What was that about Barry Murphy?

In a few instances this time last year Murphy's dedication to football and professionalism were found wanting. The biggest incident was him not being arsed to play in an away game and pretending he was injured, only to change his mind (obviously his planned night out was cancelled) and pretend his injury didn't exist, that's why MON bought Mannus when most didn't think we needed him.

GreenStar
13/05/2010, 10:04 AM
Well, for years, people on here complained about the lack of recognition the league gets from international managers. Now when a player is selected for his country, he decides to play for his club instead, which is his right. A tad ironic, me thinks.

I take your point DB but Mannus has been included in NI squads for the past while and, in this case it's a meaningless end of season tour while his club has some important games during the period of the tour. If it were qualifiers or something similar I think we would have seen a different situation arise.

marinobohs
13/05/2010, 10:41 AM
In a few instances this time last year Murphy's dedication to football and professionalism were found wanting. The biggest incident was him not being arsed to play in an away game and pretending he was injured, only to change his mind (obviously his planned night out was cancelled) and pretend his injury didn't exist, that's why MON bought Mannus when most didn't think we needed him.

Amazing, Murphy was a "legend" when he was at shams (most of your fans preferred him as a keeper to Mannus) but as soon as he joins Bohs ........:rolleyes:

Back on thread, I personally think it a brave and welcome decision by Mannus to turn down selection. Must have been a difficult decision but hope it will not preclude him from future squads. Always a risk that his replacement will impress and take "his place" in future squad(s) so credit to him for a very professional call in putting his club before possible international cap(s).

Lets hope any players "chosen" for the Aviva fiasco show the same attitude :D

Port Saint
13/05/2010, 10:54 AM
I don't think he should have pulled out. Every person should play/work at the highest level possible and even though it's a friendly tour it'll stand to him in the future.
From a League teams point (Rovers in this case) surely there is a second keeper at the club that could step up for a couple of games. The league won't be won and lost in that week of the season, will it?

marinobohs
13/05/2010, 11:00 AM
I don't think he should have pulled out. Every person should play/work at the highest level possible and even though it's a friendly tour it'll stand to him in the future.
From a League teams point (Rovers in this case) surely there is a second keeper at the club that could step up for a couple of games. The league won't be won and lost in that week of the season, will it?

Think to be fair the point is that playing important League games for shams is more important than end of season friendlies for N Ireland. Brave call by Mannus and hope it wont cost him in the future.

GGAJD
13/05/2010, 11:26 AM
Big decision from Al, althugh I know O'Neil and Worthington are friends since their playing days and with Alan Wright being Norn Iron's GK coach who was at Rovers last season, I'm sure some kind of agreement must have been reached reguarding his inclusion in the future. The number one spot for them is there for someone in the near future and hopefully Big Al will be in the shake up for that.
Rovers do have Robert Duggan as second choice keeper who's not bad from what I've seen of him and I think would have covered admirably, but the form Mannus has shown so far this season has been encouraging and he certainly looks to have settled into his role at the club.

mrtndvn
13/05/2010, 11:46 AM
Meaningless friendly, only call he possibly could of made.
Fahey, Doyle, Murphy, D Murphy, O'Donavon, Bennett, McCourt etc etc Didn't need to play international football to improve themselves.

Crowe and J Byrne played for Ireland, where are they now?

osarusan
13/05/2010, 12:45 PM
Well, for years, people on here complained about the lack of recognition the league gets from international managers.
Successive ROI international managers, not managers of other national teams.

GerByrne
13/05/2010, 1:55 PM
"J Byrne played for Ireland, where are they now?"

I presume you've seen the top scorers list for the Premier League in Ireland for this season mrtndvn:cool2:

Munster Saint
13/05/2010, 2:04 PM
Successive ROI international managers, not managers of other national teams.

That's right, Manus isn't the first to turn down an international call up, if memory serves Mbabazi pulled out of Uganda national team squads to play for Pats

Mr A
13/05/2010, 2:06 PM
I understand why the decision was made, but I think players should play for their country when they have the chance.

Dodge
13/05/2010, 2:30 PM
That's right, Manus isn't the first to turn down an international call up, if memory serves Mbabazi pulled out of Uganda national team squads to play for Pats

Correct. He actually retired from international football

SkStu
13/05/2010, 6:07 PM
its a strange one from Mannus. Obvious positives for Shams, obvious negatives for himself. Fair play to him if he wants to compromise his international career like that. MON must have been very convincing...

Jicked
13/05/2010, 7:42 PM
Amazing, Murphy was a "legend" when he was at shams (most of your fans preferred him as a keeper to Mannus) but as soon as he joins Bohs ........:rolleyes:

FWIW I've always been very much in the pro-Mannus group, but you're right plenty of our fans were against him signing and didn't want Murphy to leave. After what MON had to say at the Rovers AGM about the specifics of Murphy's behaviour, Barry has very few admirers left amongst those who found out the true story from an fed-up MON.

paudie
13/05/2010, 8:28 PM
interesting decision from Mannus. I presume he's confident that he'll still be included in NI squads for competitive games.

Can Rovers get League games postponed if 1 player is picked for a competitive game?

SkStu
13/05/2010, 9:39 PM
AFAIK it has to be three players called up for international duty (incl. U21's)

EalingGreen
13/05/2010, 11:54 PM
Coming at this from a different angle (NI fan, rather than LOI fan), I'm disappointed he won't be there, but not disappointed in Mannus.
That is, I kinda understand where he's coming from.
For at best this Tour will be a joke, at worst an embarrassment. It was hoped to line up decent opposition for a quick trip to somewhere handy in the USA, pocket a decent appearance fee then return home.
Instead, we have ended up playing Turkey in Connecticut on a Wednesday, then flying down to to play Chile on the Saturday. And not only is the Chile game not in the capital Santiago (it's some way South), but Chile have another game scheduled for that same date i.e. we are effectively playing their "B" team.
Moreover, the dates clash with the narrow holiday window for EPL players, plus the FL Play-Offs and Steven Davis's wedding (to which a number of players are invited). Oh and we have kept several players who might have stepped up from the U-19s, since they are playing a competitive qualifying tournament in Russia at the same time.
Therefore the team which will travel will effectively be our fourth team - and we barely have a third team as it is...
(Oh and before anyone asks why we're going out there at all, it's solely for the money, since the IFA is completely skint).
In those circumstances, I suspect Worthington is more understanding of Mannus's decision than might normally be the case.

And from the player's pov, I don't think he's jeopardising his future international prospects, since those have effectively faded. That is, Maik Taylor is established No.1 for the next year, maybe even two(?), with Worthy testing other, younger keepers (but not Mannus) as possible successors. (Current head of the queue is Jonny Tuffey of Partick Thistle, who will be signing for an SPL club next season, or maybe English Championship? Next in line is probably Trevor Carson, Sunderland No.2 and highly thought of. And he is already bringing Michael McGovern of Ross County out on the Tour, where I think he'll play. All three are a few years younger than Mannus, btw)

Tbh, I think Mannus realised his international chance had gone after he left a full-time contract with Linfield to try his luck in England. When his trials there didn't work out, he came back to Ireland to play for Shams, and if he and the club are doing well, then he's probably happy enough.

Of course none of those youngsters might work out, in which case he might get back into the frame in another year or two. But if that happens, then I doubt that his opting out of this Tour will have burned his bridges with NI; if nothing else, he has proved his loyalty by joining numerous squads previously, without ever being likely to play.

P.S. Pleased to hear he's playing well for Shams - for all that he was a Bluenose(!), I always admired his attitude.

PartySaint
14/05/2010, 12:11 AM
Good post EG but do you fear that NI fans will look at is as he has turned down the chance to play for his country to play for one of the big nationlist clubs down south?? and therefore give him a bad reception if he does get called into the squad in future (Not points for guessing which club these fans come from)

EalingGreen
14/05/2010, 1:23 AM
Good post EG but do you fear that NI fans will look at is as he has turned down the chance to play for his country to play for one of the big nationlist clubs down south?? and therefore give him a bad reception if he does get called into the squad in future (Not points for guessing which club these fans come from)
Assuming you refer to Linfield, nothing would surprise me about some of their support!

But tbf, afaik, Mannus is/was highly regarded by their fans, there was no resentment when he left Windsor to try his luck in England, nor when he came back to sign for Shams.

And since he has never challenged for the top spot as keeper, but has always been content to be called upon on the rare occasions when Taylor (or Carroll) were unavailable, then I think most people accept (or should, at least) that his attitude towards playing for NI has never been in doubt before.

Besides, when you look at the list of other players who have pulled out from this Tour, it is so long that I suspect the bulk of any anger is directed at the IFA for putting them in such a difficult position for so poxy an event.

But as I say, there's no accounting for Linfield fans...

P.S. What kind of money would Mannus be on? I imagine it's decent, but hardly life-changing. That is, if he looks after himself and has another few years in him (as he should), then he should do OK out of the game. But as against that, if he screws up, Shams could probably find a replacement handy enough. In which case, I personally don't blame the guy for keeping himself right with his employer.

sligoman
14/05/2010, 8:59 AM
Mannus is a better keeper any way, but when you compare their professional attitude/desire to play and win for Rovers, I'm thrilled we have a professional like Big Al who seems desperate to see Rovers succeed.Why do your fans sing about him being a hun then, his religion shouldn't matter surely?

Dodge
14/05/2010, 9:19 AM
AFAIK it has to be three players called up for international duty (incl. U21's)

No, its only one. Cork got games called up when Joe Gamble was called up for the ROI tour to the US a couple of years ago. Some clubs haven't exercised the right to get games called off in recent times (Rovers with Ian Bermingham last year for example)

PartySaint
14/05/2010, 10:18 AM
P.S. What kind of money would Mannus be on? I imagine it's decent, but hardly life-changing. That is, if he looks after himself and has another few years in him (as he should), then he should do OK out of the game. But as against that, if he screws up, Shams could probably find a replacement handy enough. In which case, I personally don't blame the guy for keeping himself right with his employer.

Id say he is easily on over a grand a week but if you ask a Rovers fan he is probably only on €15 a week a packet of fruit pastilles and the love of playing in the hooped shirt

marinobohs
14/05/2010, 10:29 AM
interesting decision from Mannus. I presume he's confident that he'll still be included in NI squads for competitive games.

Can Rovers get League games postponed if 1 player is picked for a competitive game?

No. usual is three players out before postponement granted. Although a club may apply for postponement of any game it is difficult to see one granted in these circumstances (one player called up). Also the matches concerned are not competitive in this case, so even less chance.

pineapple stu
14/05/2010, 10:31 AM
It's happened plenty of times. We've had matches called off for having two players in the 21s squad. I remember slagging some Shels fans in Cyprus who were getting text updates of their game while we were missing nothing cos our game was postponed.

Dodge
14/05/2010, 10:39 AM
As above Cork getting their games postponed for gamble's call ups are an almost exact replica of the mannus situation (only teams change)

marinobohs
14/05/2010, 11:14 AM
It's happened plenty of times. We've had matches called off for having two players in the 21s squad. I remember slagging some Shels fans in Cyprus who were getting text updates of their game while we were missing nothing cos our game was postponed.

As I pointed out it is open to the club to seek a postponement but I would be surprised if it were granted especially as the games are not competitive. Moot point now in this (Morrow) case but I think clubs have had to play before with players out on International duty.
Wonder will there be postponements for clubs affected by callups to the Aviva fixture ?

Dodge
14/05/2010, 11:20 AM
As I pointed out it is open to the club to seek a postponement but I would be surprised if it were granted especially as the games are not competitive.
Its not open to interpretation. If clubs want the games postponed, they get it. The rules were specifically changed to only 1 player needing to be absent

RoRo
14/05/2010, 11:20 AM
I think Mannus made the right choice. Who wants to play against minnows like Turkey and Chile when you can play the Big Club in Dalyer!!

It does actually show how far the league has come though and if I was a Rovers fan I'd be chuffed with his decision.

marinobohs
14/05/2010, 11:31 AM
Its not open to interpretation. If clubs want the games postponed, they get it. The rules were specifically changed to only 1 player needing to be absent

Cheers Dodge I stand corrected, didnt know about rule change. Sure its impossible to keep up with them (as most refs seem to believe :confused:)

osarusan
14/05/2010, 1:21 PM
It does actually show how far the league has come though and if I was a Rovers fan I'd be chuffed with his decision.

I'm sure Rovers fans are delighted with his decision, but I actually think it says more about how meaningless and unwanted NI's friendlies are than about how far our league has come.

EalingGreen
14/05/2010, 2:29 PM
I'm sure Rovers fans are delighted with his decision, but I actually think it says more about how meaningless and unwanted NI's friendlies are than about how far our league has come.

My guess is that it is partly a reflection on the standard at SR/LOI, rather more of a reflection on the meaningless nature of this Tour (not NI friendlies in general), but mostly a reflection of the reality of Mannus's personal situation.

That is, if he is "easily on more than a grand a week" (Party Saint), then that is not to be sniffed at or jeopardised - especially since no-one is ever likely to offer him more.

In fact, if he fell out of favour with Shams (or fell out with his manager), he'd very possibly have to accept noticeably less from whatever new club signed him, since there can't be many clubs paying that sort of money in the LOI, none in the IL, and none in England/Scotland who are prepared to give him a chance.

It all goes back to something I noted elsewhere, namely, when we were all kids etc, we all swore "we'd give our right arm to play for our country etc" - and no doubt we meant it.

But as we grow up, some of us (at least) come to appreciate that footballers are also human beings, with duties and responsibilities (wife, kids, mortgage etc) which they need to attend to, too.

Now I know nothing about Mannus's personal circumstances or attitude, but if those are the sorts of considerations which have influenced his decision, then I for one will not condemn him. And I say that as someone who is every bit as committed a fan as when I was a kid dreaming of being NI's first one-armed international!