PDA

View Full Version : All-Ireland Football Championship 2010

Pages : [1] 2

culloty82
12/05/2010, 10:04 PM
Galway beat New York, but the "real" Championship starts Sunday, when Kerry face Tipperary and Derry take on Armagh. Might sound like typical Kerry, but can't see them getting past the last four this year, after all the various retirements and withdrawals (Murphy, O'Sé, Kennelly). Assuming they win, the match with Cork's away, where our luck hasn't been good the last few seasons. Dublin should cruise Leinster as usual, but in many ways, they're the England of the GAA, tearing weak opposition apart before crumbling when it comes to the crunch. Mayo v Galway will decide Connaught, and even though Mayo are much improved, they'll choke in Croker against anyone half-decent. Finally, Ulster is always the toughest to call, but I'll go for Armagh beating Down in the final. Semi-finals of Kerry v Tyrone, Cork v Dublin with the Rebels finally coming good against Tyrone in September.

cullenswood
12/05/2010, 10:07 PM
Meath for a third semi final in 4 years!

culloty82
13/05/2010, 9:59 AM
Like Germany, I'd never rule you out, but you're still a young team so probably Mayo and a few of the Ulster teams ahead of you at the moment.

DeLorean
13/05/2010, 11:32 AM
Assuming they win, the match with Cork's away

It's in Killarney. Replay was in Cork last year. It will be pretty much the same old story anyway. Kerry aren't anywhere near the crisis that has been suggested. The only two players that ye had lost really were Tommy Walsh and Mike McCarthy, and now that McCarthy is back ye are virtually down nothing on last year. Donaghy missed most of last season so he will replace Walsh from the All Ireland winning team. I don't think Tadhg Kennelly is that major a loss really although he played well in the Final last year. Daragh O'Sé wasn't close to his previous force so I think he can be replaced by Quirke who will field a similar amount of ball, if not more. Forwards win All Ireland and with Gooch, Donaghy, Galvin and possibly the best player in the country in Declan O'Sullivan ye'll be very close again. Being realistic Cork and Tyrone are possibly the only two teams in the country capable of beating ye and it's hard to know which Tyrone will turn up from year to year. Cork obviously have a massive chance but injuries to experienced players could be costly. Canty, Miskella and Lynch can't seem to shake off their various injuries but they do have a relatively strong panel as long as they stay away from the likes of Fintan Gould, Derek Kavanagh and Kieran O'Connor.

outspoken
16/05/2010, 12:10 PM
Im not as interested in the GAA this year but thats probably because im in Longford and were crap but good luck to the rest of ya because were not going to get past the 1st qualifing round.

MeathDrog
16/05/2010, 1:19 PM
Couldn't really be bothered this year to be honest. It almost seems as if it's getting worse every year.

culloty82
16/05/2010, 5:10 PM
Can't see the sideline and handpass rules being as strictly enforced for the rest of the summer, these things usually trail off after the first few weeks. As usual, the Ulster match was fairly niggly for the first 50 minutes, but no doubt that Armagh's class showed through in the end. Kerry won by a bigger margin than I expected, Sheehan and Galvin performed well, but Donaghy will need to be more consistent in Cork and the defence and goalie looked shaky at times. It's probably time the Championship was run off in eight seeded groups of four, you'll likely be able to count the number of provincial shocks on one hand this year.

outspoken
16/05/2010, 7:20 PM
God that handpass rule is so inconsistent and stupid just let them get on with it. I must say I really enjoyed the football now that its back

paudie
16/05/2010, 8:10 PM
was at the Kerry Tipp game. They never got out of second gear really.

First XV is very strong but their bench isn't great

ArdeeBhoy
06/06/2010, 8:58 PM
M*ath for a third semi final in 4 years!

In defeference to a higher power, No!
Good win for An Lu v. The Lillywhites yesterday.....

culloty82
07/06/2010, 7:26 AM
At the very least, you look to be heading for the final, can't see Westmeath being up to much. The first real shocks of the season, certainly didn't expect Sligo or Monaghan to really challenge this year. Definitely should have backed the draw yesterday, even the replay's probably just a bit of sparring before the real showdown in August/September.

paudie
07/06/2010, 9:47 AM
Cork were in a great position to win but couldn't finish it off. That said the last free awarded to Kerry was unbelievably soft.

Still think cork might win the replay as Kerry don't seem to like playing in cork and the game should have brought Cork on. However the Cork forwards have to perform a lot better. Only Kerrigan stood out. Kerry will probably have Galvin back as well.

elroy
07/06/2010, 1:48 PM
Same old same old from Cork, they havent moved on a jot from last year. Surprised that O'Neill isnt on the starting team. Galvin did make a difference when he came on but Cork still havent learned to kill a game which remains a big worry over this team. Having said that the last min free for Kerry was a disgrace and am in no doubt it was the gaa up to its old tricks again. In this day and age, extra time should be played, its alot to be expecting families to fork out 30+ a ticket two weeks in a row.

Also anyone hear Brolly and Bernard Flynns comments on the world cup in the take your point programme on rte radio one last night, lets just say if any football pundit said the same about the GAA championship, there would be uproar!! Dunno why these lads always feel the need to justify their sports over others, insecurities perhaps!

bennocelt
07/06/2010, 4:41 PM
Watched all the games this weekend. Have to say enjoyed them all bar the Cork game. Sligo (delighted for Mortimer) and Monaghan were well worth their win, and Jesus Louth played Gaelic like it should be played, def shoud get to the L final.
Cork always seem to lie down for Kerry IMHO. (sorry!).
Hurling was great today too, pity Clare didnt have enough in the second half but they will still be around for a while Id say.

But might not be in much humour for next week or after ............................for obvious reasons.................

Spudulika
08/06/2010, 7:59 AM
If Louth can make a Leinster final it will be a huge boost for them, and while they'll lose to Dublin or Meath, it's a stepping stone. I've always believe that if just once Louth can take a chance in 100 and beath Dublin or Meath, they'll suddenly find a new belief and confidence instead of choking year after year. That 1 in 100 turns into 1 in 20, to 1 in 10. Kerry seem to be able to find another gear and much as it grates on me, they are looking like another win. Interesting to see how Dublin shape up.

Kingdom
08/06/2010, 9:34 AM
Saw all the games too. The Mayo Sligo game, while exciting, was dire. Really dire. Sligo were worth their win, and it makes Connaught interesting. The sentimentalist in me thinks Leitrim could make a real push in honour of their fallen comrade.
The Kildare Louth game was a thriller. Some real good football, and those surprised by Louth shouldn't be. They've been making huge strides in the past 3 seasons especially at underage, and the Leinster final is there for the taking. I was disappointed with Kildare though. I really thought they'd kick on this year, and I was surprised with Dermot Earley, he seemed to get flustered very easily.
The Ulster match was the real surprise. I never thought Armagh would lie down and die like that. Crossmaglen's dominance in the past decade could prove to be their downfall. As for Monaghan, the result was only half the story. Unless there is another issue that has been kept from the public, what McEnaney did was disgraceful, in my opinion. He informed journo's that he made 3 phonecalls when the original keeper was deemed unfit. One to the full back he was putting in goal, another to the sub that was going midfield and finally to the midfielder going in full-back. Not a call to the Sub-keeper informing him that he wouldn't be replacing the first choice. That's bad form in my opinion, as lets be honest, it's makes a show of the sub-keeper, who only found out while sitting on the team bus.

As for the big one, I thought the draw was reasonably fair, Kerry were outplayed for a long stretch, but when they did get the ball they did use it well. Most of the analysis focussed on the two Cork goal chances that were saved, I reckon the Kerry chances were far better, and the misses were far worse. Had Donaghy goaled in the first half Cork would have been a few down early on. As it stands I'm happy, Declan, Donaghy, Scanlon, Marc O'Se (despite the plaudits about the blocks - Kerrigan cleaned him out), Tommy Griffin, Killian and Mike Mac all had games to forget, and I don't believe that will be replicated two days running. I'm pretty optimistic about next weekend I have to be honest, Cork nullified Quirke's advantage by not kicking the ball towards him , and I expect Maher to start in his place. I'm assuming Galvin will replace Darren O'Sullivan as Donncha Walsh was decent. Finally hats off to Bryan Sheehan. That's the first big game that I've seen him stand toe to toe with his direct opponent and not bottle out. His reaction to Gooch getting floored was encouraging also. His play was very good, won more ball than he lost and his free taking, as usual, was flawless.

shakermaker1982
08/06/2010, 9:41 AM
Mayo were woeful on Saturday. I'd like to see a clear out and O'Mahony has to go once this team gets murdered in the qualifiers. No leadership and no balls. Sligo were the complete opposite. Hungry, fired up and willing to take risks. I hope they go on and give Galway a pasting as well.

ArdeeBhoy
08/06/2010, 10:37 AM
If Louth can make a Leinster final it will be a huge boost for them, and while they'll lose to Dublin or Meath, it's a stepping stone. I've always believe that if just once Louth can take a chance in 100 and beath Dublin or Meath, they'll suddenly find a new belief and confidence instead of choking year after year.

If we could just beat the ultimate nemisis. And I don't mean the Dubs.... Reaching the Final would be a great achievement with hopefully a decent showing in the Championship proper??

Kingdom
08/06/2010, 11:18 AM
Provincial finals are good targets for the weaker (ish) counties, particularily if the draw is good, as it parachutes you to the end of the qualifiers, one game from the All-Ireland series.
This year you're looking at Westmeath or Louth, prob Limerick and a good chance of either Sligo or Roscommon/Leitrim.
The qualifiers are going to be poxy this season. Derry, Armagh, Donegal, Antrim, Kildare, Wicklow, Mayo all in round 1!

culloty82
09/06/2010, 7:32 AM
Meath/Dublin will be a tricky draw also, quietly confident the Pairc Ui Chaoimh hoodoo of recent years can be broken, Maher made a real difference in midfield when he came on for Quirke and while it's 50/50 about Galvin's fitness, I'd be very surprised if he didn't start Sunday.

Kingdom
09/06/2010, 10:05 AM
Culloty, did you read Darragh's column today. Mentions that he'd like to see Buckley given a go. Is he dropping a hint there I wonder?
I agree with you I think the jinx will be broken.

I'd be happy with this again:

Kealy
Marc Tommy Tom Sullivan
Tomas Mike Mac Killian Young
Scanlon Maher
Galvin/Keane Declan Donncha/Keane
Gooch Donaghy Sheehan

culloty82
13/06/2010, 4:28 PM
Yeh, Barry John Keane had a brilliant game when he came on, always hard to judge how U-21's will do, but he's definitely shown he's up to the mark, probably in for Donncha, when he hasn't had a great year. The backs were much improved, but Kealy's a mixed bag - can pull off a stunning save one minute and drop a clanger the next. Dublin getting a right trimming at the moment, we can have a good laugh at the qualifier draw tonight!

elroy
13/06/2010, 9:14 PM
How frustrating are Cork!?!? Yet again the same old, same old. Had a decent lead on kerry and proceeded to waste it. even when they managed to get their noses in the last few mins, they couldnt close out the game.

Some very poor changes on the cork side, NO'Leary for example should never have been taken off. Even this early in the year, Kerry look a class above anything else Ive seen so far. (Dubs were awful today). Kerry up front were very impressive, BJKeane looks like he'll be a serious star this year.

paudie
13/06/2010, 9:23 PM
Cork still lack the winning mentality. A great chance to send Kerry down the qualifier route squandered. Will be amazed if Kerry don't win the all ireland pretty easily. Having said that no team gets as many soft frees as Kerry.

shakermaker1982
14/06/2010, 11:12 AM
Cork cost me an 8/1 accum yesterday. Bottlejobs.

culloty82
25/06/2010, 8:56 PM
Now that we're reaching the business end of the provincial championships, here are my predictions for this week:

Galway v Sligo: Going by form, Sligo would be warm favourites, but tradition and home advantage will probably swing it for the Tribesmen.
Louth v Westmeath: There's always the danger they'll choke under the unexpected favourites tag, but the Wee County should reach their first Leinster final in 50 years.
Dublin v Meath: Dublin looked anything but convincing against Wexford, and Meath have shown enough form already to suggest they'll overturn their recent record.
Fermanagh v Monaghan: After trashing Armagh, Monaghan should qualify to meet Tyrone.
Armagh v Donegal: In the best R1 Qualifier, Armagh look in transition and Donegal were unlucky last time out.

culloty82
28/06/2010, 4:51 PM
So Meath annihilate Dublin - were they really that good, or are Dublin on the wane? Probably a bit of both as while scoring five goals is highly impressive, this is the same side that struggled first day against an average Laois team and Dublin seem to be caught between two strategies, the blanket defence backfiring against Wexford, but without it they were torn to shreds. Galway struggled against Sligo, and travelling to Markievicz Park has proven beyond sterner sides. Still, Louth deserve all the credit for scraping through yesterday and while Meath should prove a bridge too far, the celebrations will last most of the week in Dundalk and Drogheda.

apo11o
05/07/2010, 11:19 AM
Sligo are flying this year beating Mayo and Galway to get to the Connacht final.
Roscommon had the easy path this year but will believe they can beat Sligo.
I think O'Hara should be banned for his stamp and 1 or 2 other players from both sides should be "embarrassed" by their actions.
Sligo might be better of without O'Hara for the final, he can be a loose cannon and will prob see red before it's over.
Sligo to win.

holidaysong
11/07/2010, 3:10 PM
Time for Maxi to get up to the GAA with his petrol can..

ArdeeBhoy
11/07/2010, 3:33 PM
Not condoning today's events but the phrase 'Video Technology' springs to mind....
And how lucky were that shower, again?

culloty82
11/07/2010, 5:21 PM
Not sure if there's any procedure for Louth to appeal, but Clare did offer Offaly the replay back in '98 - wouldn't hold my breath though with Meath's rep as you say. Still, if Des Cahill & Co are half as vigourous over this as they've been over discipline, you might have some hope yet. No call for attacking the ref, but keep after the Grab All Association anyway.

apo11o
11/07/2010, 11:26 PM
On the sunday game live the panel keep pointing out that the ref is "amateur" but as far as I know they all get paid?

outspoken
11/07/2010, 11:29 PM
On the sunday game live the panel keep pointing out that the ref is "amateur" but as far as I know they all get paid?

Brown envelopes lol

Spudulika
12/07/2010, 5:38 AM
Meath won't offer an appeal, they have about as much grace as a Frenchman!

Refs get a small fee for each game, doesn't cover even an iota of the hassle, but Sludden is a disgrace and unfortunately will not be dropped!

elroy
12/07/2010, 12:19 PM
Refs get a small fee for each game, doesn't cover even an iota of the hassle, but Sludden is a disgrace and unfortunately will not be dropped!

Ignoring the aftermath, I agree with you on Sludden, to me it was very arrogant of him not to consult with either umpire and just merely directed him to award the goal. It was clear on the sunday game last night that this what just what he did.

Some might say that the umpire should have insisted on giving his view but the ref's decision is final at the end of the day. I cant believe he was naive enough to think there would not have been aggro after the finish, he even proceeded to book a louth player after the final whistle, rather than getting the hell out of there asap.

outspoken
12/07/2010, 12:27 PM
As far as I know that small fee only covers expenses still no excuse to go out and do that.

apo11o
13/07/2010, 9:39 AM
As far as I know that small fee only covers expenses still no excuse to go out and do that.
I'm not saying the ref should be abused.
€40 a game as far as I know for a club game that's €40 per hour, that's good money minus tax :p

apo11o
14/07/2010, 8:28 AM
I TRIED TO REPLY TO THIS YESTERDAY BUT COULD NOT POST, ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS POSTING?

I didn't say it was right to attack the ref paid or not.

No replay for Louth.
In Sligo we've seen "Fair Play" from the GAA many a time.
Sligo were "FORCED" to replay a Connacht Final in the Twenties after winning a All Ireland semi final.
Well done GAA cheats.:mad:

Real ale Madrid
14/07/2010, 9:00 AM
[QUOTE=apo11o;1375968]
Sligo were "FORCED" to replay a Connacht Final in the Twenties after winning a All Ireland semi final.
QUOTE]

You'd want to let that go at this stage - concentrate on Sunday.

ArdeeBhoy
14/07/2010, 10:57 AM
Meath won't offer an appeal, they have about as much grace as a Frenchman!

Spot on. Their players, Board and most of their fans are the shame of GAA. And always have been.
Ultimately though they should remember, cheats never prosper.

joeSoap
14/07/2010, 12:21 PM
To be honest I cant see why Meath should offer a replay. I cant believe Clare did in 1998, and that definitely cost them an All Ireland.
Meath didn't do anything wrong in my eyes. You play to the whistle and obey the ref, simple as that. If every bad decision made by a referee resulted in games being replayed, then I'd imagine 90% of them would be replayed. It was abysmal refereeing on two counts...first of all the ball in was a square ball, then Sheridan proceeded to 'score a try' with the ball...both illegal. The arrogance displayed by the referee in refusing to discuss this with the umpires who were 30 yards closer to the action than him beggars belief, and is so typical of the attitudes of many in powerful positions within the GAA. This man shouldn't ever be allowed referee again, even an under 8's friendly. But don't blame Meath in all of this.

Lionel Ritchie
14/07/2010, 1:01 PM
The comet-ee of Meath County Board would like to read the following prepared statement...

(ahem)

F*** Louth! (http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0714/meath_louth1.html)

Go raibh maith agat. we'll be making no further comment.

Lim till i die
14/07/2010, 3:50 PM
Meath GAA in having no class shocker :eek:

bennocelt
14/07/2010, 7:40 PM
Spot on. Their players, Board and most of their fans are the shame of GAA. And always have been.

Remind us all how many wides Louth got again?
Kerry are the shame of the Gah, never forget that!!!!

Jinxy
14/07/2010, 10:17 PM

Should you not be off chasing a referee around a pitch somewhere?
An Mhí, Leinster champs 2010!

OneRedArmy
15/07/2010, 7:26 AM
Ultimately though they should remember, cheats never prosper.Its good that you're not bitter about it......

seand
15/07/2010, 8:37 AM
As a Louth man with limited interest in the GAA I'm relieved this is done and dusted. Even the Louth players had little or no appetite for a replay. Louth got RRS (copyrght Damien Richardson) but it happens. Meath didn't cheat, the ref fecked up, big time.

Incidentally, I'm not big on GAA rules, but has Sludden not painted himself into another corner with his assertion that he 'blew the whistle for a penalty but changed his mind'? Do you not have to play the whistle in GAA like in soccer? Are GAA players expected to ignore the whistle and play on in case the ref changes his mind?!?!

apo11o
15/07/2010, 8:40 AM
Real Ale Madrid, sorry , we should not Q anything the GAA get up to.
Is that 1 strike or 2

Kingdom
23/07/2010, 1:25 PM
Threads gone very quiet! Fantastic win by Roscommon last weekend and while I would have liked to see Sligo win (and they should have, they kicked it away), the overall result isn't that surprising if anyone had been following the progress of the Roscommon underage players. Shine is a fine player and has been heralded for a while now. Depressing result in Ulster, really thought Monaghan would put it up to them, but for whatever reason, they bottled it. Them were very slick, and controlled the game from start to finish, ominously.
No great surprises in the qualifiers, it was always gonna be a case of who was out-fought the other between Dublin and Armagh, and Dublin just about deserved it, O'Connell really got stuck into McDonnell, and MD McAuley was excellent in midfield.
Kildare are really motoring now, they were superb in Derry and fully merited the win. Cork didn't have any trouble down in Wexford. Down seemed to labour a bit against Offaly but a friend who was there was adamant if they needed Down could have pulled away.
This weekend is really interesting.
Sligo v Down
Monaghan v Kildare
Dublin v Louth
Limerick v Cork.
I can see wins for Sligo and Kildare, and the other two games are tossups at this stage. I can't decide whether I believe Louth and Limerick will make a good go of it, or whether I believe they will make a good go of it. I feel for Limerick, I really do as they've some really good players, but I think they have the toughest task, and it's a pity cause I think they would have taken any of the others. Still, if they show the belief that they did against Kerry, it could be tight. I don't think home advantage will have any bearing. Wonder will Cadogan play for the footballers?
Louth Dublin is interesting. It's hard to guage where either team is at. I know of a few of the Louth panelists, and by all accounts the minds are really focussed, and LSFF is forgotten about already. They have enough capable players to be able to score well, however, they're light at the back. Luckily Dublin have been relatively weak upfront, and I've a feeling that if Louth could get a run at them, they could win. Interesting game anyway.
Head on the block I'll go for
Sligo,
Kildare,
Cork
Louth.

After that it gets really interesting.
This weekend

culloty82
23/07/2010, 2:46 PM
Newstalk say Cadogan's playing for the hurlers Sunday, so he's concentrating on that for now. I'd say it's more people thought Sligo had done the donkeywork, rather than underestimating Roscommon, the acid test will be tomorrow. Limerick-Cork will be like the Munster final, the Rebels probably having the staying power. Louth have just got over the shock, and with Dublin in full flow, they should have the edge. Sligo-Down's 50-50, in which case it's usually safest to back the Ulster team, while Kildare's freshness should overcome Monaghan. After that, a Kerry-Dublin QF looks inevitable, with provincial winners hoping for Kildare if they win, and the qualifiers Roscommon.