PDA

View Full Version : Aidan McGeady

eirebhoy
05/04/2004, 5:28 PM
There is an 18 year old playing for Celtic, Aidan McGeady, who looks a quality player. He was born in Scotland but both his parents are Irish and has played for Ireland at underage level. He was in the Celtic squad for Saturday's match against Hearts. He should get a chance in the team before the end of the season as Hartson and Maloney are out with long term injuries, Beattie isn't setting the world alight and the league is rapped up. Add to that the fact that Larsson will be leaving at the end of the season and Sutton and Hartson haven't got long to go so O'Neill has to be looking for replacements. McGeady should get a chance although I'm not sure if his position for the future will be up front, maybe behind the front two.

Plastic Paddy
05/04/2004, 6:04 PM
McGeady has all the potential to be world-class. Watch this space. :)

:D PP

eirebhoy
05/04/2004, 6:05 PM
Here's an article about him I forgot to post:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1061880,00.html

John83
05/04/2004, 6:52 PM
If he's that good, surely Scotland will be eager to cap him too? Or is he set on playing for us?

petef
05/04/2004, 7:48 PM
Whole article there in The Sunday Times, nope hes set his heart on Ireland, dont have a clue about him to be honest.

Plastic Paddy
05/04/2004, 9:07 PM
If he's that good, surely Scotland will be eager to cap him too? Or is he set on playing for us?

He's appeared in quite a few under-age line-ups now. There's a bit of background here:

http://69.93.29.242/hb/showthread.php?t=12658

Those of you with a delicate constitution, do be careful. It's a Celtic board, see. And - get this - quite a few Tims are peed off that he opted for Ireland. Yes, that's because they're Scottish! :eek: :rolleyes:

Jon'o
05/04/2004, 9:18 PM
He's appeared in quite a few under-age line-ups now. There's a bit of background here:

http://69.93.29.242/hb/showthread.php?t=12658

Those of you with a delicate constitution, do be careful. It's a Celtic board, see. And - get this - quite a few Tims are peed off that he opted for Ireland. Yes, that's because they're Scottish! :eek: :rolleyes:

i dont think hed like playing for scotland anyway.... its a bit much being expected to play in goal, at the back, in midfeild and up front on your own :D

drummerboy
07/04/2004, 9:30 AM
This guy sounds too good to be true

Bowsy
07/04/2004, 11:52 AM
This lad sounds amazing. Bizarre choice of nationality though. If he's father's parents are Irish but his father considers himself Scottish. However, I for one am not going to argue.

Plastic Paddy
07/04/2004, 12:13 PM
I'm not either. Being a Celtic fan, I've known about McGeady this past couple of years. However, the one thing I'd impress on people is that the boy has bags of potential. Nothing more at this stage.

That said, for a lad who was only seventeen on Sunday, he's been ripping through our u-21 opponents this year and has already spent the last few months training with the first-team squad. If this pace of development continues (and the word is "if") I fully expect him to win his first Ireland cap within two years.

Bring it on.

Paulie
07/04/2004, 12:43 PM
Has this lad actually been tied down yet? Has he represented Ireland in a competitive under-age game thus preventing him from playing for Scotland? He must be something special if Vogts met him to try to change his mind when he hasn't even made a senior appearance for Celtic.

Paulie
07/04/2004, 1:28 PM
Had a quick look on a few of the Irish football websites and apparantly he played in an U17 European Championship qualifier against France. Am I correct in saying that, despite recent rule changes in eligibility, this means he cannot now change his mind? The only reason I ask is that there is only so much pressure a lad of 17 is able to take. If he's still eligible to play for Scotland he could yet give in to the pressure.

Bowsy
07/04/2004, 1:47 PM
Still eligible for Scotland if only played for the under 17s. Kevin Nolan and Jon Macken were with England under 21s.

Plastic Paddy
07/04/2004, 1:51 PM
Still eligible for Scotland if only played for the under 17s. Kevin Nolan and Jon Macken were with England under 21s.

I don't think McGeady will change his mind. He's already resisted tremendous pressure to do so.

Wrong about Nolan and Macken, FWIW. Nolan played with England's u-20s and Macken with the u-17s at the World Youth Championships in 1997.

:) PP

Paulie
07/04/2004, 1:53 PM

I didn't realise he would still be eligible for Scotland even though he has played a competitive U17 game for us. I don't think I'd be too surprised if by the time he's in line for a senior call up he's had a change of mind.

Bowsy
07/04/2004, 2:07 PM
Here's the official line....

The new FIFA Statutes which came into force on 1 January 2004 saw a significant change regarding international eligibility for players with dual nationality.
The new Article 15 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes has been amended to state that that "a player may exercise his right to change Associations only if he has not played at "A" international level for his country and if, at the time of his first full or partial appearance in an international match in an official competition of any other category, he already had such nationalities."

Previously, players with dual nationality were deemed to have committed themselves to one national association after playing a competitive match at any level.

The new regulation also states that up to their 21st birthday, a player with dual nationality, a player may only once request changing the association for which he is eligible to play international matches.

However, any player who has already had their 21st birthday at the time of these provisions being implemented and who hold dual nationality have twelve months in which to request to change Associations.

This request must be submitted in writing to FIFA and will be decided upon by the FIFA Players' Status Committee.

After making the request the player is no longer qualified to play for his current national association.

eirebhoy
07/04/2004, 2:55 PM
That said, for a lad who was only seventeen on Sunday
Not that it makes too much diference but he was 18 on Sunday. I heard one of the Irish underage manager saying he will be better than Robbie Keane. How old was Keane when he made his debut for Wolves?

Bowsy
07/04/2004, 2:56 PM
16 i think. Definitely no older than 17.

Paulie
07/04/2004, 3:00 PM
Think he made his senior debut for us against Argentina when he was 17. This McGeady lad is lagging behind so!

Plastic Paddy
07/04/2004, 3:02 PM
16 i think. Definitely no older than 17.

I've checked and eirebhoy is right. :eek: He was 18 Sunday just gone.