PDA

View Full Version : Airtiricity League XI v Manchester United confirmed for Aviva Stadium on August 4

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

cob655
12/05/2010, 2:09 PM
Monday Night Soccer "Airtiricity League XI v Manchester United confirmed for Aviva Stadium on August 4. Damien Richardson to manage the League XI..."

Posted my MNS on facebook.

pineapple stu
12/05/2010, 2:13 PM
Article on extratime (http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3455/).

Will be an interesting game. I'm sure the usual rows over the final LoI squad will erupt too.

Not quite sure I could stomach the company of that many barstoolers to go along myself.

Lim till i die
12/05/2010, 2:17 PM
Will be interesting to see where the gate receipts go.........

marinobohs
12/05/2010, 2:20 PM
Article on extratime (http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3455/).

Will be an interesting game. I'm sure the usual rows over the final LoI squad will erupt too.

Hope no Bohs players in the League X1. Pity the first footie in The Aviva will be a barstoolers jerk off session. I would have preferred Airtricity X1 V Irish International but I guess that would not attract the "Oirish" football public :rolleyes:

poster
12/05/2010, 2:21 PM
Wonder will LoI teams get any money from this?

EA Semi's two days before it (if we get there) and Bray away two days after.

I'd rather not thanks.

Dodge
12/05/2010, 2:23 PM
Man U announce it too.

Think its a disgusting way of opening the stadium myself and hope the FAI don't cover United's exorbitant friendly fees

poster
12/05/2010, 2:24 PM
hope the FAI don't cover United's exorbitant friendly fees

I'm pretty sure they will Dodge.

pineapple stu
12/05/2010, 2:26 PM
Don't see who else will.

marinobohs
12/05/2010, 2:26 PM
Man U announce it too.

Think its a disgusting way of opening the stadium myself and hope the FAI don't cover United's exorbitant friendly fees

To be fair Dodge it is a very appropriate way to open the stadium given the utter contempt the FAI have for our League.

Infadel
12/05/2010, 2:39 PM
Would united even bother sending over a full team since their players will be arriving back to training late after the world cup and they usually have far east tours every year

Dodge
12/05/2010, 2:41 PM
I'm pretty sure they will Dodge.
Of course they will, that was just my way of moaning about the FAI missing a chance to promote the game here without spending a million on getting Man U over...

Pats play Drogheda 2 days later, so I won't none of our players involved in this sham

poster
12/05/2010, 2:45 PM
Of course they will,

Don't ask a question so?

Dodge
12/05/2010, 2:53 PM
Don't ask a question so?

I didn't ask any questions.

TheBoss
12/05/2010, 3:05 PM
For me, it is a disappointing announcement. The league games are on 2 days later, including Bohs v Rovers. A great way to advertise the league would have been to have that game as the first match there. Imagine their views ''How do you encourage new fans to the league, oh yeah, bring Man Utd over, that will get new fans on board''. It actually does the opposite effect, fans will want to see them rather than leagues best players. Also, the FAI do not have faith the sides will do well in Europe aswell, qualifiers for the Champs League 3rd round are on that week along with the Europa League aswell, and there is a decent chance that 1 team for Ireland at least will be playing in that week.

DeNiro
12/05/2010, 3:11 PM
I think Doolin got that gig as well. He'll probably throw most of the U23s in it + Jason Byrne and Gary Twigg.

pineapple stu
12/05/2010, 3:11 PM
qualifiers for the Champs League 3rd round are on that week along with the Europa League aswell, and there is a decent chance that 1 team for Ireland at least will be playing in that week.
That's a good point actually. Bohs could actually be playing the exact same day. It'd really sum things up if this game was live on telly, while Bohs played in the Champions' League in Dalyer with no coverage at all.

I'm assuming the players will be dying to get selected for this one regardless of league commitments, so it'll be interesting to see how the managers/club officials approach this one.

We're away to Dundalk on the Friday. We've already had one game against Dundalk moved because the FAI scheduled a home international on the same day. Nice to see them paying attention to things alright.

DeNiro - the extratime piece says Rico's the manager,

Real Rover
12/05/2010, 3:14 PM
It's a disgrace that the new Lansdowne Road will be filled with English football fans for the first football game...an absolute disgrace!

OneRedArmy
12/05/2010, 3:14 PM
Not quite sure I could stomach the company of that many barstoolers to go along myself.I must admit thats exactly what I thought when I heard.

Although the word than sprung to mind personally had eight letter, 1st letter "w", 4th letter "k", ending with "fest"........

pineapple stu
12/05/2010, 3:20 PM
Actually, if the four clubs in Europe refuse (quite justifiably) to release any players, you'd be looking at a Pat's + bottom half LoI select. Which could well get hammered, to the joy of the barstoolers.

poster
12/05/2010, 3:25 PM
I didn't ask any questions.

Ah you're a sly wan Dodge.

Dodge
12/05/2010, 3:28 PM
Actually, if the four clubs in Europe refuse (quite justifiably) to release any players, you'd be looking at a Pat's + bottom half LoI select. Which could well get hammered, to the joy of the barstoolers.

And if Pats (or Sligo or whoever else qualifies for the semis) are playing a League Cup game on the Monday, and a league game on the Friday, they've every right to withdraw their players too

Proving that nobody in the FAI even thinks about the league's fixtures...

Jicked
12/05/2010, 3:29 PM
Pathetic decision. So completely unsurprising decision from the FAI. Two days before Rovers v. Bohs, and we'll have been playing games in the League, League cup, FAI Cup and Europa League. I'm fairly sure we won't be releasing any of our first team squad.

BTW, what is the general contact email of the FAI? I can't seem to see one on their website?

Schumi
12/05/2010, 3:38 PM
BTW, what is the general contact email of the FAI? I can't seem to see one on their website?

info@fai.ie as far as I know. Don't hold your breath on a reply though.

Magoo..O'O
12/05/2010, 3:41 PM
I fancy Damo to get a result - 1 -1 . Im sure Man u will draw a good crowd.
Of course not a patch on Real Madrid at Tallaght tho

Jicked
12/05/2010, 3:41 PM
Cheers, I don't expect one but I'll take any chance to vent. Presumably John Delaney and the boys will be too busy getting their autograph books ready and dealing with ticket requests from Fiann Fáil TDs to be arsed with what Irish football fans think.

Bray-Z
12/05/2010, 3:48 PM
I think Doolin got that gig as well. He'll probably throw most of the U23s in it + Jason Byrne and Gary Twigg.

Richardson will manage them.

passerrby
12/05/2010, 5:47 PM
the league said last year that it would not allow fundraising matches to interfere with there LOI shedule think they will have a change of mind

Candystripe
12/05/2010, 5:52 PM
Hopefully a club might make it to the 3rd round of Europe.If so what a great chance for league fans to go along and have that game on before the Manu w**kfest.

The club could also get the same gate money they would have earned if the game was played at the RDS as no league grounds in Ireland is suitable for the 3rd round criteria in European competition and more L.O.I. fans would be there to support them.

Jofspring
12/05/2010, 6:13 PM
I hope all the teams with big games either side of this match refuse to release their players and let it be known in the national press that LOI teams have more important games to play than ridiculous friendlies against Man U in the AVIVA in the middle of their season. If the LOI put out a strong team and really go for it and want to win it it will really show the barstoolers that the Premier League friendlies are bigger than our own league. If our own FAI won't respect our league i can see why the barstoolers wouldn't and to be honest i'd understand it.

Riddickcule
12/05/2010, 6:52 PM
Fair juice to be honest if and only if the LOI get a fair wedge of the income. Whatever happened to the supposed Rovers-Bohs game that was supposed to be played there? I though that would have been a good showcase for the league, the Dublin derby, north v south of the river etc.

And the barstoolers would realise that the atmosphere is class at LOI games ( at times) and may catch the bug.

Mr A
12/05/2010, 7:02 PM
OK, the timing is crap, but if an LOI side played well in this game it could help improve the image of the league in the eyes of those primarily interested in the premiership more than any likely European tie. If teams don't want to release players, fine, play those that will. I'm sure no one will be forced to partipate.

Jofspring
12/05/2010, 7:31 PM
Does anybody know if the LOI clubs agreed to this fixture or did the FAI just make the decision for them?

If the clubs agreed to it then its not so much the FAI people should be annoyed with but maybe the clubs for agreeing to this game in the middle of the season.

I suppose we could also look at it that if the FAI really wanted to be ***** they could have just made it Rep of Ireland vs Manchester United and not included the LOI at all.

Exposure of the league is possibly good. Timing of it is shocking.

Dodge
12/05/2010, 7:58 PM
OK, the timing is crap, but if an LOI side played well in this game it could help improve the image of the league in the eyes of those primarily interested in the premiership more than any likely European tie.

if the LOI side do well its because man U didn't try

If they do poorly, its because they're crap

Schumi
12/05/2010, 8:16 PM
Will the money made be divided up among the clubs? At least there'd be some benefit if it is.

sligoman
12/05/2010, 8:23 PM
Entry should be refused to anyone wearing a Man U jersey that has an Irish accent, after their money has been taken and they've received a kick in the :ball:s.

Sam_Heggy
12/05/2010, 8:50 PM
I would have preferred if we opened the ground and Rafa brought our boys in to kick the sh!te out of the pub team 11.
We would be a much bigger draw than those w*anks down the road.
Imagine the FAI letting that little English cnut Rooney play in the first game in the new Landsdown.

A prize for the first one of us to hear someone down the local say any of the above phrases. Even better prize for anyone who hears all 3 from the same person. :p

sligo23
12/05/2010, 9:21 PM
Make sure them shams boys from Oriel get tickets anyway.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
12/05/2010, 9:34 PM
The league are just following the lead shown by the clubs themselves. Do you think if any club was given the option of playing United they'd turn it down? Plenty of the league clubs play English teams in the summer as it is when the league season is going on

Réiteoir
12/05/2010, 10:06 PM
OK, the timing is crap, but if an LOI side played well in this game it could help improve the image of the league in the eyes of those primarily interested in the premiership more than any likely European tie. If teams don't want to release players, fine, play those that will. I'm sure no one will be forced to partipate.

There were 20,000-odd such people at the Shels - Deportivo match in Lansdowne with Shels one game away from the Group Stages of the Champions League - how many of those are at League games week in week out now?

Any performance - good or bad - from a LoI Select will do absolutely nothing for the promotion of the League to those kind of people - clubs should stand up to the FAI and not release any players for this glorified kickabout.

Then again - none of our member clubs would have been able to get a hold of Delaney today to voice their concerns - he was too busy enjoying the junket at the Europa League Final in Hamburg

MariborKev
12/05/2010, 10:17 PM
if the LOI side do well its because man U didn't try

If they do poorly, its because they're crap

Exactly Dodge.

It will be utterly depressing, 80-90% of the people in the stadium will be cheering a foreign side. I'll be staying well away from this one.

SkStu
12/05/2010, 10:40 PM
for all the reasons outlined earlier in the thread, a crap decision.

for any ManU fans reading this - the LOI fans will be the ones there 15 minutes early, in their designer gear and talking on their mobile phones...

Cold Night
12/05/2010, 11:10 PM
Have to say I had mixed feelings about this one at first.

My first thought was Man Utd will attract a good crowd to the game, where hopefully the League of Ireland players show the 'event junkies' that our league is the one they should follow.

Second thought is that what the FAI have done is insulting to us ordinary League of Ireland supporters, with the prospect that the majority of the Irish attending will be wearing Man Utd jerseys, cheering on the English team in our new 'national' stadium. The Rovers/ Madrid game last year had an overwhelming number of fans cheering on Rovers, I doubt that will be the case here.

My third thought is that the FAI only really care about their own finances, ie the National Team and Aviva Stadium, with the League of Ireland trailing some way behind. I was hoping that the FAI would make a gesture to LOI supporters such as the first game being a friendly/ League game, which LOI season ticket holders would be given free access to the stadium. I'm embarrassed I was so naive.

MariborKev
12/05/2010, 11:11 PM
So when does the mass production of the ant-FAI banners start.

What sweetness it would be embarass them on their big night!

Razors left peg
12/05/2010, 11:15 PM
Fair enough the timing mightnt be great so thats a good reason for complaint. But would people be complaining if the opposition was Real Madrid instead of Man United? Were the same complaints made when Rovers had the offical opening of Tallaght against Madrid? I would have liked to have seen a league select team playing against the National team personally but Im just glad that league of Ireland is involved in the first game of the stadium and that some people are getting a bit too precious about the opposition.

Lim till i die
12/05/2010, 11:17 PM
It will be brilliant, like that time everybody went to Croke Park on an anti-Delaney protest and manged to get rid of him!!

MariborKev
12/05/2010, 11:19 PM
But would people be complaining if the opposition was Real Madrid instead of Man United?

How many fans actively select not to go to the LOI to watch/attend La Liga?

Lim till i die
12/05/2010, 11:21 PM
I would have liked to have seen a league select team playing against the National team personally but Im just glad that league of Ireland is involved in the first game of the stadium and that some people are getting a bit too precious about the opposition.

Not one LoI club will benefit a red cent from this.

It's pure tokenism designed to placate...........well, people like you to be honest.

Razors left peg
12/05/2010, 11:22 PM
How many fans actively select not to go to the LOI to watch/attend La Liga?

I watch LOI football and Premiership football. Does that mean Im not a proper Galway United fan?

Razors left peg
12/05/2010, 11:23 PM
Not one LoI club will benefit a red cent from this.

It's pure tokenism designed to placate...........well, people like you to be honest.

People like me? Im going to Terryland for 30 years watching LOI football

Cold Night
12/05/2010, 11:23 PM
Fair enough the timing mightnt be great so thats a good reason for complaint. But would people be complaining if the opposition was Real Madrid instead of Man United? Were the same complaints made when Rovers had the offical opening of Tallaght against Madrid? I would have liked to have seen a league select team playing against the National team personally but Im just glad that league of Ireland is involved in the first game of the stadium and that some people are getting a bit too precious about the opposition.

The official opening of Tallaght Stadium was a League of Ireland game between Rovers and Sligo.

The Real Madrid game was a glamour friendly almost half way through the season.