PDA

View Full Version : If we were heading to South Africa next month....

shakermaker1982
11/05/2010, 2:11 PM
would you have expected any last minute shocks from the Trap in his squad announcement? The lads in the office moaning about Capello's latest 30 got me thinking about how foot.ie would be buzzing if we were all debating the beneifits of bringing Carr and McCarthy along.

Given missing out would have driven most of us to despair. Maybe picking Given for every friendly isn't that smart a move?

Keane has been banging the goals up in Scotland. Doyle. Duff and Dunne have had good seasons but the rest?

Maybe if we did qualify some of the Irish lads would have raised their game because they'd be desperate to make the squad.

The team that started against France in Paris:

Rep of Ireland:

Given - injured
O'Shea - just back from injury. Hardly played since Paris
St. Ledger - struggling
Dunne - excellent for Villa
Kilbane - warming the bench
Lawrence - squad player for Stoke
Whelan - starting
Andrews - getting a run out
Duff - best season since Chelsea?
Doyle - playing well
Keane - good form

Subs used:

McShane - still a car crash
McGeady -
Gibson - a few minutes here and there for United.

Subs Not Used: Joe Murphy, Kelly, Hunt, Best.

It's such a shame we're not there. Cheers Thierry. I just hope we make Poland/Ukraine and get France as a first game.

EAFC_rdfl
11/05/2010, 2:54 PM
could their dip in form be down to that night in Paris? It wouldn't surprise me as it was a huge blow to be delt

OwlsFan
11/05/2010, 3:18 PM
Hunt is out injured as well. Every world cup we went to was blighted by injuries or disappearances of key players. This one would have been no different. Shay's loss would have been terrible and it's by no means certain he'll make a full recovery. Dislocation is a bad injury for a keeper. Duffer is also struggling with an injury. Not sure he'll make the Europa final.

We would of course have soldiered on and done ok and then had the heart break of eventually being knocked out. At least we don't have to endure the latter now.

I love that Samsung add with the French player being sucked up the vacuum cleaner.

I wonder who I would like to see win it. South Africa perhaps (but they won't) so I'll go for Germany, the team everyone loves to hate.

Deckydee
11/05/2010, 4:08 PM
Hunt is out injured as well. Every world cup we went to was blighted by injuries or disappearances of key players. This one would have been no different. Shay's loss would have been terrible and it's by no means certain he'll make a full recovery. Dislocation is a bad injury for a keeper. Duffer is also struggling with an injury. Not sure he'll make the Europa final.

We would of course have soldiered on and done ok and then had the heart break of eventually being knocked out. At least we don't have to endure the latter now.

I love that Samsung add with the French player being sucked up the vacuum cleaner.

I wonder who I would like to see win it. South Africa perhaps (but they won't) so I'll go for Germany, the team everyone loves to hate.

I love that advert too. Its one of the best I have seen in ages! I put it alongside my alltime favourite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbujX4hXOg

SwanVsDalton
11/05/2010, 4:13 PM

Suppose so. Not much much point being involved in any major tournaments when you think about...:o

Predator
11/05/2010, 4:35 PM
I love that advert too. Its one of the best I have seen in ages! I put it alongside my alltime favourite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvbujX4hXOg
Great ad!

Scooby Doo
11/05/2010, 6:56 PM
Of course, this one. Appropriate to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auoToogktZQ

shakermaker1982
12/05/2010, 6:36 AM
Coleman would have made by 23 after his performances in the Play off's.

I've not seen the Samsung adverts. Will have to watch em tonight at home.

OwlsFan
12/05/2010, 3:49 PM
Suppose so. Not much much point being involved in any major tournaments when you think about...:o

But that's why we love football. We know the pain is on the way but we hope against hope and unless we actually win the World Cup, we eventually suffer it.