PDA

View Full Version : georgie,what to do?

rebelnorrie
05/04/2004, 2:17 PM
whats the story with georgie?....ive had this debate at the longford game with some of the lads and its pretty much agreed that he isnt playin like he did last season(BTW i am far from a george basher,hes one of d most tallentd plays ever to wear our jersey)....the only conclusion that we could come to was that he needs to adjust to his new position in mid-field....but why?...he made his name in portvale in the centre if d pitch(player of d year and top scorer,young player of d year)....dont know why dolan moved him,id swap him and fenn who in my eyes is more suited to mid-field.....george tracked back the whole way to d defense constantly last year and ran d pitch with the ball,sumthing hes not doing this year...its just giving the bashers ammo to slate him now.

pete
05/04/2004, 2:33 PM
Obviously it would be best that our best player from last season would play well in midfield given our other attacking optiuons but it clearly not worked so far.

O'Flynn if fit has to play.
Doyle has to play
Fenn is top goal scorer.
Doesn't look like George & Fenn could play up front together.

Play 3 up front? It worked in 2nd half at Rovers when we dominated but would it work again?

Play George on right midfield? He has trouble going past players but he would get more room to pass...?

:confused:

Éanna
05/04/2004, 2:58 PM
i think he just needs time to settle. also, having the right player alongside him in the middle will make a huge difference. himself and sweeney did well on saturday, and I think it could have the makings of an excellent partnership.

tiktok
05/04/2004, 3:04 PM
I think it's rough on him to take the stance that George hasn't done the business in central midfield. He was pretty ineffective on Saturday night, but the source of the problem was that he was being by-passed completely. With the quality of attacking players that we have, there's no reason why we should resort to the long ball, moreso when you realise we don't have anything resembling a target-man.

Either Murray or Sweeney has to take the responsibility to take the ball from Devine and build from the back. We have players who are capable of playing through anyone. Devine himself has to look short now and again, although to be fair, his distribution was quicker (if not better directed) on saturday.

As for Tuesday, we're not going to change the way we play overnight, so I'd start with

George Colin Sweeney Woods

across the middle. I like Kearney, but he got kicked to bits Saturday, and Waterford will do likewise to him. George did well on the right in the second half against Rovers, Fenn is an option for midfield, but with Flynn out I think we'd miss him up front.

patsh
05/04/2004, 4:35 PM
Either Murray or Sweeney has to take the responsibility to take the ball from Devine and build from the back. We have players who are capable of playing through anyone. Devine himself has to look short now and again, although to be fair, his distribution was quicker (if not better directed) on saturday.
This is the whole point. Mickey is still hoofing the ball all the way down the field, when he eventually does release it. Fast, accurate short passes to Dan, Hoggie and Murphy should be Devines options, and beat it in to him if he doesn't listen..... ;)

SÓC
05/04/2004, 4:46 PM
This is the whole point. Mickey is still hoofing the ball all the way down the field, when he eventually does release it. Fast, accurate short passes to Dan, Hoggie and Murphy should be Devines options, and beat it in to him if he doesn't listen..... ;)

Thats grand for a while but its not always that easy for a keeper. A defender has to show and it has to be a safe pass. If in doubt hoof it out.

What we did well last season was using Doyler very well from goal kicks. The left full and right full are usually the smallest players on the pitch. Dolyer is around 6'1 or so. He'll win most headers against them. We didnt use Colin T in the same way on Saturday. Obviously you cant use Kearney like that.

pete
05/04/2004, 4:49 PM
If Devine throws the ball short to the fullbacks then up the midfielders to provide some options so as not to force the fullback to hoof it long.

patsh
05/04/2004, 4:58 PM
Thats grand for a while but its not always that easy for a keeper. A defender has to show and it has to be a safe pass. If in doubt hoof it out.
I don't mean every single time, but this thing of Mickey holding the ball for about a minute, waving the entire team down the field and then hoofing it is useless.
He reached Digger a few times the other night.
Thats completely pointless.

Éanna
05/04/2004, 5:04 PM
I don't mean every single time, but this thing of Mickey holding the ball for about a minute, waving the entire team down the field and then hoofing it is useless.
yeah. its not like we all want to see danny murphy and hoggy dribbling round 5 or 6 men every time, just varying it a bit would help

pete
05/04/2004, 5:06 PM
He reached Digger a few times the other night.

Maybe he thought he could lob him cos the Longford pitch is shorter than most?

;)

Éanna
05/04/2004, 5:08 PM
the Longford pitch is shorter than most?
pitch or keeper?! :)

jofyisgod
05/04/2004, 5:16 PM
pitch or keeper?! :)

:D

In all seriousness though, we can't exactly drop George, Flynny, Doyler or Fenn! It would be stupid to do that considering their talent. How about an attacking midfielder option for George, but that would require Sweeney or whoever else is playing CM to be very strong. I rate Sweeney highly though, and i think that could work great for us.

ccfcman
06/04/2004, 10:12 AM
up in longford george wasnt up for the physical approach , sweeney did all the hard work there imo george on the right o midfield