PDA

View Full Version : Czech and Slovak leagues looking to merge..

holidaysong
09/05/2010, 11:07 AM
I came across this story last week on another forum (http://kassiesa.nl/uefa/forum/view.php?topic=20100429214543.xml&PHPSESSID=007f2ca303c1896b15277e0c7cfc296a).

The Czech and Slovak associations are looking to merge their top flights with 12 Czech and 6 Slovak clubs competing. Reports suggest that UEFA are open to the proposal and the merger could be in place in time for the beginning of the 2012-13 season.

I've found two English language links for the story:

http://www.sportbusiness.com/news/175848/czech-slovak-leagues-could-merge

http://www.praguepost.com/sports/3792-czech-slovak-soccer-may-merge.html

Obviously this would have implications for those advocating an all Ireland league as it would set a precedent by UEFA. It'd be very interesting to see how European places would be sorted out if this merger does go ahead. Unfortunately none of the articles mention how they would be affected though..

Hibs4Ever
09/05/2010, 1:08 PM
Wouldn't read too much into what the Prague Post prints. Absolutely nothing in Czech language media about this

Poor Student
09/05/2010, 7:02 PM
Switzerland and Austria wanted to create some sort of a merged Alpine league before, does anyone know why this never went ahead in the end? Did UEFA put a halt to it?

culloty82
09/05/2010, 7:15 PM
I can't see this being a runner to be honest - it would be hard for UEFA to approve this and then reject the Old Firm moving to England. There was talk of a Benelux league a few seasons ago, but that never materialised and the Royal League cup competition saw crowds drop because the Danish teams won it every year. I'd like to see a Balkan League for the ex-Yugoslav countries though, Red Star and Dinamo Zagreb seem to suffer from being in weak leagues.

Schumi
09/05/2010, 9:31 PM
Slightly off topic but it's English teams who are currently blocking Celtic & Rangers from joining the premiership.

Lionel Ritchie
16/05/2010, 11:10 AM
I can't see this being a runner to be honest - it would be hard for UEFA to approve this and then reject the Old Firm moving to England. From a quick read that's not a like for like comparison though. Any plan I've ever heard of the Old Firm joining the EPL was basically them abandoning the SPL to it's own devices (which may actually re-invigorate it. Might also mean a whole lot more European adventures for Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc while Celtic and Rangers may never need to visit an airport again.)

Meanwhile he Czech-Slovak proposal appears to involve a merger of the two states top flights only into what I'll call the Czech-Slovak Bi-National Super League. This is were it gets complicated to the point of probably being unworkable in my view. They envisage an 18 team top flight with two teams relegated who'll then be replaced by the champions of both states domestic leagues. I assume they've asked themselves 'What happens if two Czech teams get relegated?' or two Slovak? They might even have factored in this wild card element where a Slovak club gets dumped into the Czech domestic league and will have to become champions of another countrys league if they're ever to get home. But it's hardly sleek.

Why the half measures? Why not merge the leagues fully?

Slightly off topic but it's English teams who are currently blocking Celtic & Rangers from joining the premiership.

Is the correct answer as Angus Dayton would say.

Barca5
17/05/2010, 4:56 PM
Well if Cardiff can possibly join the Premiership and Australia play in Asia in international football anythings possible. I think it'd be far more likely for Celtic and Rangers to play in a merged league with say Ajax, Psv, Feyenoord and Anderlecht