PDA

View Full Version : This season

peadar1987
08/05/2010, 1:55 PM
From what I've seen and heard this season, this is where we stand:

Goalkeeper:

Brian Kane is a good player, and will only get better. I worried about life after Skippy, but after a shaky start, he seems to have stepped up to the plate

Full Backs:

I've never been a fan of Daire Doyle, and he is not a right back. Massey has looked uncomfortable on the ball when I've seen him, but it's not like he has any outlet apart from the hoof to which to resort. We need a new right full back, or else see if Webster can do a job there.

Centre Backs:

We miss Derek Foran very badly from last season. He mopped up everything in the air, which is something that's particularly important if your full backs are weak. Young O'Connor could be a good player, but he needs time, and I don't think Webster is cut for playing in the centre.

Wings:

Again, we're weak here. We don't have a Kavanagh, Coughlan or a McCabe like last season. Zambra isn't a great replacement, and Kelly and Mulroy are strikers by trade, although their pace could be useful if they stay out of tussles with the opposition full backs. Tyrrell doesn't offer enough going forwards, but could perhaps be a shout for full back. Mark O'Brien could also be a possibility, if he's not needed in the centre. I haven't seen Baker play this season, but apparently he's not the player he once was. He could be a real weapon, provided he can get back to full fitness

Central Midfield:

Probably our strongest area. Shields and Brennan are a very solid first choice combination, which would leave O'Brien free to take up one of the wings, where I think he'd be better used. Daz could slot in here as well if needed, provided his partner was able to do plenty of running.

Strikers:

We have some decent indivuduals, Kelly, Doyle, and Mulroy, but Eddie doesn't seem to be using them right. Rodriguez wins plenty of headers, but getting flick-ons is useless when Robbie Doyle couldn't outrun my Granny, and Robbie's vision and distribution aren't any use when he's got nobody who can control the ball with their feet. We should only be playing one of them, with either Kelly or Mulroy alongside to get on the end of the flick-ons and try and make something.

General tactics:

No hoofing, seriously! As I said, our strikers aren't up to it. Either play it along the ground, like out players are suited to doing, or change the personnel up front to make best use of the flick-ons.

Anyway, that's my take on things, would people agree with me? There are probably plenty out there who have seen the players more than I have!

SupaJon
10/05/2010, 10:50 AM
Don't agree about Massey - I think he's looked very comfortable on the ball every game I've seen hime in.
In fact I don't think he'd look out of place playing for any of the top Irish sides (and might stick my neck out a bit and say at a top English Championship side too).

I think the centre of our midfield has looked weak in the games I've been to. It seems other teams have no problems in playing right through our middle and there is little creativity there.

Granted Robbie isn't the paciest player, but he works his socks off for the team and puts himself about.

As for the tactics, I agree about the hoofing the ball forward.
I'm not sure we have the players to play nice football in this division, but I'd like to see us try.
(Then again, I'm not the manager and I'll trust Eddie that he knows the capabilities of his players)

Good post Peadar!