PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with Travel efforts

outspoken
05/05/2010, 10:14 PM
this season I have been very disappointed with the efforts made by the supporters club and others because of the lack of Buses going to Away matches. I went to Monaghan on the bus it was full and I thought to myself this is great we will have loads more of this this season but there hasn't been a bus since that.

Now while I clearly understand not running a bus to cork , limerick ect. there was no bus to the 2 games in Athlone because its to close for a bus now I got there anyway thanks to the old man driving me up but for people that cant drive up for what ever reason mine being im only 16 there should be a bus going.

Now I know theres usually very little support for away day busses but put one on and if theres not enough interest either cancel the bus or ask the people that have booked their place whether they would mind paying a bit more or try and get a smaller bus and charge what ever it works out at.

Cmon Town fans help us out by travelling away a bit more theres nothing like it (when you win that is or come from behind to draw out of no where like we did VS MONS)

What does every one else think?

L.T.F.C.
05/05/2010, 11:26 PM
Money isn't there to have one. Simple as that, the Supporters club would be making a loss and we can't have that...
They have been doing a smaller bus. A bus of fifteen IIRC went to Monaghan this season and I'd say they just broke even. Going further than that won't be viable as there aren't people to fill a bigger bus to cover the cost nor go with a smaller bus.
I think a great idea would be to have a free bus out to home games (or for two euro) and stick up a sign out in Flancare for free. More people through the gate and getting people out that otherwise couldn't.

Acornvilla
05/05/2010, 11:39 PM
i think for the summer there is more chance of getting young lads with little else to do to go to games so theres hope yet but right now there isn't the numbers..

Cabs88
06/05/2010, 3:07 PM
back a few years ago, a friend of mine and myself organised a few buses to games back when we were in the premier divison. We had busses to bray, galway and dublin if memory serves but if im honest the interest and as ltfc said the money isnt there. I do think however a bus from town would be a great idea and should definatly be looked into, bringing supporters out to flancare for a nominal fee.

Martinho II
06/05/2010, 4:57 PM
around ten years ago the club did organise buses out for free out to games from outside the longford arms hotel but that died a slow death i dont know if the club would entertain chargin a small fee from Longford out to the games but it is working with Limerick at the moment and they are getting bigger gates as a result of supporters club buses coming from the towns outside limerick and even ennis..
.. as LTFC said himself earlier from being involved in the supporters club myself the bus is only run if there are enough people to fill the smallest possible bus.. If not it is not worth the hassle and they then lose money.. the interest isnt there at the moment and buses would only go if it is within drivin distance on a friday or saturday night..the supporters club did advertise of a possible bus to Salthill but due to lack of interest had to pull a plug on it after the shocking result against youths..
The only thing that I can suggest is car pooling ..A few of us that do go to the away matches car share .. I most of the time drive up so anyone from here looking to carshare to away matches are welcome to join me.. If you can pay for food for me on the way home Im all yours!

outspoken
06/05/2010, 7:28 PM
Ye fair play to liam he did try and get a bus on to salthill but not enough intrest we should come up with some type of insinative to try and get bigger home and away crowds. I remember a few years ago they sent out vouchers to national schools that let an adult and two children or something like that in for a tenner. We need more things like that but not just children incentives we need to try and get the old town fans back somehow. There complaint that there only getting over 2 and a half thousand up in Derry Jesus I'd love to see 500 in flacare evrey week never mind 2000

sorbothegreek
07/05/2010, 11:22 AM
I remember a few years ago they sent out vouchers to national schools that let an adult and two children or something like that in for a tenner. We need more things like that but not just children incentives we need to try and get the old town fans back somehow.

Well kieran, we tried something along these lines only a few weeks ago. I did up some (Over one thousand) vouchers for the exact thing you mentioned, €10 - Adult & 2 kids tickets. I spent hours making them, driving round and dropping them into shops, petrol stations, kids matches in the area, then on the morning of the game myself and another person spent 5 hours handing out the remainder in town.

So that was 2 hours making them, 3 or 4 hours driving round and dropping them into shops etc and 2 x 5 hours handing them out in town.

We got 4 of them back at the gate. At least 2 from people who would probably have been at the game anyway. So we possibly got 2 extra tenners at the gate for 15 hours work.

The general Longford public just don't seem to want to go whatever..

On a side note, we had what, 70 people at the Wexford game during the week? That's less than 1% of what we brought to a cup final a few years back. Most of the rest of them are around but just stopped going when the team stopped winning. Everyone knows loads of people who fall into this bracket but the viscous circle is that they wont be back until the team start doing well again and it's hard to start doing well when there's nobody coming in the gate..

This is the thread for rants isn't it...?

outspoken
07/05/2010, 6:28 PM
its shocking really I know how annoying it is when the finals are gone because I use to always bring my mate with me but these days he laughs at me when I mention De Town. Also when the Town got to the last cup Final he was still supporting them at the time we both went to the final on the bus but our club got free tickets and they went up with a bunch of people that didnt give a hoot about the club they just went to say they were there. As I said we went our own way and it was worth it as we had the best seats in the house while they had crap seats behind the goals with no cover hahaa. But since my mate has stopped going I bring another mate of mine and his brother to evrey game and they love it and my points is if more people help each other out like that we will get better crowds even if its only a few more its still money for the club so help each other out.
CMON DE TOWN

outspoken
13/05/2010, 3:58 PM
the supporters club is doing every thing they can to get buses going. there was a bus organised to salthill but due to lack of interest it didnt go but there is DEFIANTLY a bus going to the harps game friday night so if you want to go give liam a ring and book your place you can find his number in several places

outspoken
15/05/2010, 2:59 PM
fair play to everyone that traveled to donegal last night really enjoyed the trip it flew by talking to mourtinho and emmitt ryan from the clubhouse pitty about the result though.