PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup 2010/2011 - revised format

SkStu
04/05/2010, 9:58 PM
expanding and moving to a knock-out format. Defintely the only real way forward for this competition and the best way to keep it alive. Great news.

The Setanta Sports Cup is set for a major revamp next season, with the tournament set to be expanded and played as a knock-out competition.

The Setanta Sports Cup Organising Committee today unveiled plans to expand the number of clubs in the competition to twelve. This expansion of the tournament to twelve teams will see the Setanta Sports Cup having doubled in size from its inaugural season in 2005 when six clubs participated.

The format of the tournament will shift from being group-based to becoming a knockout competition. The 2011 Setanta Sports Cup will kick-off in February and conclude in May and will be played over four rounds: First Round, Quarter Finals, Semi Finals and Final. All rounds, with the exception of the Final, will be played over two legs.

Six clubs from the Airtricity League and six clubs from the Carling Premiership will be invited to compete in the 2011 Setanta Sports Cup. Clubs who finish in the top four positions in the Airtricity League and Carling Premiership will be invited to participate, along with the winners of both major domestic cup competitions.

The First Round will commence in early February, with eight clubs taking part in that stage of the tournament. The two league champions, FAI Ford Cup winners and JJB Sports Cup winners will receive byes into the Quarter Final stage.

Milo Corcoran, Chairman of the Setanta Sports Cup Organising Committee, said:

"We are delighted to be introducing these alterations to the format of the Setanta Sports Cup. Ever since the Setanta Sports Cup was first established, the tournament has constantly evolved and expanded.

"This latest expansion sees the tournament having doubled in size from the inaugural season of 2005, which is an indication of the important place the tournament has in the football calendars on the island of Ireland. We believe the move to a knock-out format will add even greater excitement to the tournament and we look forward to an exciting season of Setanta Sports Cup football in 2011."

The final of the 2009/10 Setanta Sports Cup will take place on May 26th when St. Patrick’s Athletic and Bohemians meet at Tallaght Stadium (kick-off 6.30pm).

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3397/

Ciaran W
04/05/2010, 10:36 PM
Cant wait for it next season :D and when is the final on ? Because setanta is saying the 15th may but Extratime say 26th ?

PartySaint
04/05/2010, 11:40 PM
Cant wait for it next season :D and when is the final on ? Because setanta is saying the 15th may but Extratime say 26th ?

Make sure you qualify first, Final is on the 15th at 18:30 in the SDCC Stadium

Ciaran W
04/05/2010, 11:48 PM
Do we not get in for coming 2nd last year ?

PartySaint
04/05/2010, 11:54 PM
Do we not get in for coming 2nd last year ?

As far as i can see it will be based on this years league finish so last year wont count at all

Ciaran W
05/05/2010, 12:03 AM
Wonderful

londonhoop
10/05/2010, 11:41 AM
Setanta Sup final will be on Setanta 1 on saturday.
Leinster v Munster magners league semi final will be on Setanta Ireland.

danthesaint
10/05/2010, 12:19 PM
Setanta Sup final will be on Setanta 1 on saturday.
Leinster v Munster magners league semi final will be on Setanta Ireland.

haha a bohs girl in work supports leinster as well, she doesnt know what to do haha sickener :p

Dalymountrower
11/05/2010, 2:50 PM
haha a bohs girl in work supports leinster as well, she doesnt know what to do haha sickener :p

On other occasions when you ask her out does she tell you she`s washing her hair?

Ciaran W
11/05/2010, 5:59 PM
How can neutrals get tickets for the final ?

Doomofman
11/05/2010, 6:01 PM
Don't think you can tbh... Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere... LOI statement just mentioned you could get tickets for either side....

marinobohs
13/05/2010, 11:28 AM

Dont think there is any facility at present CW, not on ticketmaster as far as I know (yet club tickets are ticketmaster - possible "security" reasons ?). There will be tickets available on the day at Tallaght so probobly your best bet. Not even half full (based on ticket sales) at present so little/no chance of not getting admittance. May possibly be tickets made available through Ticketmaster before Saturday (cheaper to get from either club if you can make it to them (or stomach giving them money ;)) rather than paying fee to ticketmaster)

danthesaint
13/05/2010, 11:36 AM
Dont think there is any facility at present CW, not on ticketmaster as far as I know (yet club tickets are ticketmaster - possible "security" reasons ?). There will be tickets available on the day at Tallaght so probobly your best bet. Not even half full (based on ticket sales) at present so little/no chance of not getting admittance. May possibly be tickets made available through Ticketmaster before Saturday (cheaper to get from either club if you can make it to them (or stomach giving them money ;)) rather than paying fee to ticketmaster)

think we have 200-300 left, reckon they will go today or tomorrow
CW, maybe try get a ticket with the bohs lads :)

Dodge
13/05/2010, 11:51 AM
Pats allocation now sold out apparently.

Bohs had sold half theirs by yesterday evening. No doubt lods will turn up to get them on Saturday in Dalymount with the FA CUp on tv etc

marinobohs
13/05/2010, 12:20 PM
Pats allocation now sold out apparently.

Bohs had sold half theirs by yesterday evening. No doubt lods will turn up to get them on Saturday in Dalymount with the FA CUp on tv etc

about 1100 sold at dalymount up until this morning. Sales sluggish as people dont always find it easy to get to the club (and the last minute - irish thing). On sale in the club today and tomorrow (business hours 9-5) and in the bar tonight/romorrow. Expect interest to pick up today and tomorrow.
At present, no tickets will be on sale in Dalymount on Saturday

PartySaint
13/05/2010, 3:33 PM

Why would a Rovers fan want to go watch either Pats or Bohs win a trophy in 'their' ground, I would have thought Tallaght is a no go area for Rovers fans on Saturday

Ciaran W
13/05/2010, 4:48 PM
Sorry for going to support irish football partysaint

PartySaint
13/05/2010, 9:00 PM
No need to apologise, I just find it a bit odd that a Rovers fan would want to see one of its biggest rivals lifting a trophy in their own ground, I no if Bohs and Rovers were playing a cup final in Richmond i would be as far away as possible

Ciaran W
13/05/2010, 10:23 PM
Ah i dont mind, id rather watch any irish match then the english games

marinobohs
14/05/2010, 10:36 AM
Ah i dont mind, id rather watch any irish match then the english games

Yea, In the past I went to games in Dalyer and beyond (cup finals, european matches etc) where Bohs were not playing. Don't think its that unusual although in your case I would probobly be gone before Bohs lap of honour begins :cool:

Ciaran W
14/05/2010, 11:58 AM
Id rather just support irish football then the watch the overrated fa cup final :D who needs the overpayed english teams anyway

PartySaint
14/05/2010, 12:11 PM
Id rather just support irish football then the watch the overrated fa cup final :D who needs the overpayed english teams anyway

FA Cup kicks off at 3 you can watch both;)

Ciaran W
14/05/2010, 2:36 PM
Nah im good :)

Dodge
14/05/2010, 2:44 PM
Ciaran (and anyone else) I'm told now that tickets will be available on the day.

Doomofman
14/05/2010, 4:59 PM
Alimited number of tickets for the Setanta Sports Cup final will go on sale at Tallaght Stadium tomorrow (May 15th) from 4.30pm. The few remaining tickets, priced €20, will be made available to supporters at ticket booths outside the Tallaght Stadium ahead of tomorrow's Setanta Sports Cup final between St. Patrick's Athletic and Bohemians.
Kick-off at Tallaght Stadium is set for 6.30pm.

From the league site

flash
15/05/2010, 4:57 PM
Anyone know if the Setanta cup final is on-line anywhere. The eircom link to Setanta is for Setanta Ireland and not setanta sports 1.

Ciaran W
15/05/2010, 5:02 PM
Come on pats ;)

Block G Raptor
15/05/2010, 5:23 PM
Anyone know if the Setanta cup final is on-line anywhere. The eircom link to Setanta is for Setanta Ireland and not setanta sports 1.

been searching all day cant even get livescores so far

flash
15/05/2010, 5:31 PM
been searching all day cant even get livescores so far

I have found it if you have a sky box on other chanel
You can tune it into the other channels

details as follows

Freq 11488
Polarisation V
2/3
Channel name is msk.

legendz
10/10/2010, 11:09 PM
The 2011 Setanta Sports Cup will kick off in February and conclude in May and will be played over four rounds, each round over two legs, except the final. Six Airtricity League of Ireland and six Carling Premiership teams will take part. Clubs who finish in the top four positions in the Airtricity League and Carling Premiership will be invited to participate, along with the winners of both the FAI and Irish Cup competitions. The first round will commence in early February, with eight clubs taking part in that stage of the tournament. The two league champions, FAI Ford Cup winners and JJB Sports Cup winners will receive byes into the quarter-final stage. Milo Corcoran, Chairman of the Setanta Sports Cup Organising Committee said he believed the knockout format "will add even greater excitement to the tournament"

I like the proposed new format. It's always a good chance for an LoI side to get an early season trophy in the bag in and around May.

hedderman
11/10/2010, 11:07 AM
Yea, In the past I went to games in Dalyer and beyond (cup finals, european matches etc) where Bohs were not playing. Don't think its that unusual although in your case I would probobly be gone before Bohs lap of honour begins :cool:

or Johnny Logan starts singing...