PDA

View Full Version : Why was Galway left back playing in goal?

Straightstory
04/05/2010, 5:05 PM
Mentioned (and player in question) interviewed on MNS last night. I know regular keeper was suspended. But no reserve? (I see Man City have 9 keepers on their books - but still got Fulop on loan from Sunderland) What was the story with Galway? Most strange...

dcfc_1928
04/05/2010, 5:18 PM
When they played us (Derry City) in the League Cup, they also had their left-back in goals. It seems that they have no reserve keeper.

outspoken
04/05/2010, 5:18 PM
I asked Galway player Tom king did they get an emergency keeper a few weeks back and he told me that the FAI wouldn't give them a keeper because they had to have 2 Professional keepers on their books. This is ridiculous especially in the LOI the FAI are killing teams off by not helping them they should have learned their lesson by now with what happened to the likes of Shels and Longford. We wrnt given a chance when things went wrong whereas im certain Bohs wouldnt have been relegated if they didnt meet the 65% wages to imcome rule. Anyway dont mean to rant so theres the answer your looking for.

PartySaint
04/05/2010, 5:19 PM
Will he be in goal again on Friday?

Straightstory
04/05/2010, 5:22 PM
No reserve keeper? That's really unbelievable.

Dyl10
04/05/2010, 5:35 PM
It's embarrassing is what it is.
No half decent U-18 goalkeepers around Galway looking for a chance?

Mr A
04/05/2010, 5:55 PM
I think they have a reserve but he is injured. Ryan was suspended.

gufc2000
04/05/2010, 5:57 PM
Our back-up was injured, our number 1 was suspended. We tried to sign another keeper on a temporary basis, but the FAI wouldn't let it happen.

Anyways, he did keep a clean sheet!

Dodge
04/05/2010, 7:58 PM
Will barry Ryan get back in should be the real question!

Well done Meynall

Straightstory
05/05/2010, 9:52 AM
Right. Thanks for the replies. Hope normal service is soon resumed between the Galway posts.

Terry
05/05/2010, 10:08 AM
Ryan was suspended and Friel is out for up to 9months with a serious injury. We have another keeper (cant think of his name) but he cant play until the end of the junior football season as he has played for NUIG in that league.

gufc2000
05/05/2010, 3:18 PM
Ryan was suspended and Friel is out for up to 9months with a serious injury. We have another keeper (cant think of his name) but he cant play until the end of the junior football season as he has played for NUIG in that league.
Liam Grant or Daragh Geraghty

Martinho II
05/05/2010, 5:42 PM
didnt tom king play in goals for us last season?? he would have being another candidate!

Terry
08/05/2010, 10:03 AM
Geraghty is the one, It was grants signature that was blocked by the FAI as he would bring us over the salary cap.

outspoken
08/05/2010, 4:44 PM
didnt tom king play in goals for us last season?? he would have being another candidate!

ye he did actually forgot about that

total hoofball
08/05/2010, 5:42 PM

What keeper did you have playing for your A League team in the cup competition over the past few weeks? Surely there could not have been any obstacle in your way playing said keeper in the first team?

Mr Maroon
09/05/2010, 6:39 PM
What keeper did you have playing for your A League team in the cup competition over the past few weeks? Surely there could not have been any obstacle in your way playing said keeper in the first team?
Dara Geraghty. He's the other keeper that Terry mentioned. He can't play for the first team.

Sam_Heggy
09/05/2010, 7:01 PM
Dara Geraghty. He's the other keeper that Terry mentioned. He can't play for the first team.

If he is eligible for the A League then he is for the first team also.

A League players sign League Of Ireland Amateur contracts that entitle them to play for any side.

Terry
09/05/2010, 8:37 PM
But the A league hasn't officially kicked off yet, no? I thought these were just friendly matches, forgive me if Im wrong ? This would be why Geraghty cant play as he is still contracted to the NUIG team and playing/on trial to gain a contract with GUFC.

Mr Maroon
10/05/2010, 1:16 AM
But the A league hasn't officially kicked off yet, no? I thought these were just friendly matches, forgive me if Im wrong ? This would be why Geraghty cant play as he is still contracted to the NUIG team and playing/on trial to gain a contract with GUFC.

The league hasn't, but the cup has. That's what they've been playing in.

Sam_Heggy
10/05/2010, 8:01 AM

It's the A League cup and all players have to be registered with the club to play in it.