PDA

View Full Version : 2:1 to Ireland

tricky_colour
31/03/2004, 8:15 PM
And its as dead as a door nail in here.
Its 1:1 now lol.
I cant here it on the radio cos the reception is too bad.

I can't here it on internet radio either.
All I can get is **** irish music to listen to.

What a pile of **** and what a disgrace Ireland is. :mad:
Broadcasting some ****ty music whilest the national team is
playing.

**** all on the officail site but thats no surprise.

No wonder Roy Keane don't give a toss about Irish football.
No one in Ireland give a **** either. :rolleyes:

Declan_Michael
31/03/2004, 8:20 PM
1-1 Milan Baros. Think Sky have the rights.

tricky_colour
31/03/2004, 8:25 PM
2:1 Keane(90)
Well thats cheered me up a bit anyway. :D

I don't have Sky

petef
31/03/2004, 9:20 PM
Good win they were on a 20 game streak. On forth to Poland and Amsterdam. Cant wait for Amsterdam myself. :)

eirebhoy
31/03/2004, 11:21 PM
Given 6 - Didn't have very much to do.
Maybury 6 - cleared the ball off the line and didn't have a bad game overall.
Doherty 7 - Every corner was going to him, without him we had no height at the back.
Cunningham 8 - He was his usual outsanding self. Held the line well forcing Baros offside.
Harte 6 - He handled the presure well and his free kick was superb but he needs to run with the ball more.
A.reid 5 - Not his night unfortunately but he won't be going home to unhappy.
Kilbane 6 - Worked hard and kept Nedved at bay.
Holland 5 - Anonomous for the first 70 minutes and only worked when he was forced.
Duff 9 - He had a great time out there tonight and he is the man the Chechs will remember.
Keane 8 - Worked extremely hard and never stopped running, showed a few good touches.
Morrison 6 - Didn't have a bad game and was the player who won the free kick. He always holds up one or two players which gives Keane more room.

Alan Lee has to parnter Keane for the next game just for his head alone. We havn't replaced Quinn and Lee is the ideal replacement.

Holland was nowhere to be seen when he was in midfield. Delap has to start the next game and his throw was magnificant today.

Good result but its probably I've heard in Lansdowne in years. It is no coincidence that the atmosphere fell when the FAI decided to sell the 3 matches in a block.

tricky_colour
31/03/2004, 11:30 PM
"Holland was nowhere to be a seen".
You could write that match report before 99% of his matches.
I have watch loads of games in which he has played yet never
set eyes on him.
Apparently he has never been injured, I can see why (or rather I
can't).

pete
01/04/2004, 11:12 AM
Given 5 - Very quiet night for him, dodgy for Baros goal
Maybury 6 - reasonable distribution, no so good when under pressure, good debut.
Doherty 7 - Solid in defense, hit inside of post with header but somehow stayed out. Will always be a threat from set pieces.
Cunningham 7 - Dependable as usual, went AWOL for Baros goal. Developinbg into one of best ever captains.
Harte 7 - Good goal, better than usual distribution.
A.Reid 6 - Didn't do much wrong, tired in 2nd half.
Kilbane 7 - Reborn player, central midfield his best position, some good skills & used as target man from goal kicks to good affect.
Holland 6 - Quietly efficient. Did ok as emergency centre back.
Duff 8 - An irish star who loves playing for his national team even when injured including friendlies.
Keane 7 - Quiet enough, showed class with winning goal.
Morrison 6 - Read some of Robbies flicks fairly well, probably looked better on tv.

Delap - not enough ball to judge.
Lee - best alternative to starting two we have now.
Miller - looked composed & used ball well.
Kinsella - not enough ball to judge.
Kenny - not enough play to judge.

cullenswood
01/04/2004, 11:40 AM
Given 6 - Did fairly well for what he had to do
Maybury 6 - Very nervy game for him I think. Wasn't taking any chances and played the ball sideways or back for most of the first half. Won't keep Carr out of the team
Doherty 7 - Did okay at the back, but I'd way prefer him to be up front making a nuisance of himself.
Cunningham 7 - Quality, very cool on the ball, and will always be dependable.
Harte 6 - Good enough a nite for him, again though, wont keep Sheasy out of the team.
A.Reid 6 - Didn't do much wrong, tired in 2nd half.
Kilbane 7 - As always will try his best, even if he is always missing that final touch/killer pass. Good worker.
Holland 5 - Hasn't done anything in an Irish shirt since World Cup.
Duff 8 - Quality as always.
Keane 7 - Popped up for goal, and did a good bit of running. Tracked back well in second half after losing ball
Morrison 6.5 - Did okay, he still doesn't seem overly sharp, slow at turning etc

Delap - not enough ball to judge.
Lee - Would like to see him get longer on the pitch against the Romanians, partnering Keane.
Miller - looks good. Didn't get an awful lot of the ball, but got into some good positions and will always look for it. Needs more experience.
Kinsella - not enough ball to judge.
Kenny - not enough play to judge.

tetsujin1979
01/04/2004, 11:46 AM
Parked behind the goal on the south terrace, here's how I saw the game:

SHAY GIVEN: Excellent (some would say lucky) reflex save from Maybury in the second half, was kept relatively quiet with Cunningham and Doherty marshalling the defence in the first. Substitution was coming, goal or not, Kenny had been warming up for the previous 15 minutes

ALAN MAYBURY: Big step up from a home game against Dundee, did well apart from the goal, might have pushed forward a little. Still got to be at least 3rd choice right full behind Carr and Finnan.

IAN HARTE: Woeful in the first half, consistently caught out of position. Improved after the goal and you could see the confidence returning with some nice passes and flicks. Well positioned to stop the ball with Given beaten.

KENNY CUNNINGHAM: Legend at centre half, got to be the 3rd name on the team sheet after Duff and Keane. Could hear him talking to Doherty and Holland (to a lesser degree) constantly.

GARY DOHERTY: Did surprisingly well at centre half, and nearly scored at the other end. Like Maybury though, his chances will be limited when everyone is fit

ANDY REID: Not as good as previous games, but made intelligent switches with Duff constantly which confused the opposition though. One of Kerr's problems is how to accomodate him and Duff in the same 11

KEVIN KILBANE: Ah, Zilbane. Took the brunt of some good natured mickey taking by all around me but a good shift. A decent showing at centre midfield, definately another option there now and some hard tackles. Nedved isn't going to forget him anytime soon

MATT HOLLAND: Anonymous in midfield and at fault for the goal. Needs to start reproducing his premiership form at international level.

DAMIEN DUFF: Made a bitch out of the full backs on both flanks on a regular basis, Kerr's got to instill a willingness by the opposite winger (Reid in this case) to follow his runs as too many crosses went to noone

ROBBIE KEANE: Good showing by Keane, even without the goal, playing a little deeper than normal. Didn't do his usual "try to beat the entire defence by myself" bit and showed a willingness to release the ball into space. Some of his runs were straight out of Pro Evo 3 though!

CLINTON MORRISON: Not a bad shift by Clinton, worked very hard and might have got a goal on at least 2 occasions. Might be looking over his shoulder with Alan Lee's substitute performance.

SUBSTITUTES

RORY DELAP: Nearly decapitated an opposition player in clearing the ball and scored direct from a throw, not bad for just under half an hour's work! Probably should have started in place of Holland though.

LIAM MILLER: Not too bad, laid the ball back for Lee's chance from a corner. Will get more chances at this level though

ALAN LEE: Good run to setup Keane's goal (I actually thought it was Miller from where I was standing) and nearly scored himself with a looping header. Outside bet to start against the Poles.

MARK KINSELLA: Didn't do much in the time he had. Probably just a squad player at the moment

PADDY KENNY: Put Kilbane under pressure with a bad throw out, and nearly let in a late winner when he failed to claim a lob shot that was closer than it looked on the box.

All in all I thought it was a deserved win, a draw wouldn't have been unfair - but disappointing. Some of the play going from flank to flank was amazing and the whole team showed movement and weighted passes into space that I've not seen in a long, long time. Bodes well for the future.

Pogsly
01/04/2004, 11:46 AM
Given 7 Some super saves Apparently poor for the goal (In north terrace so couldn't appreciate the poorness )

Maybury 7 Calm enough game tried hard distribution a bit below par, certainly shouldn't be discarded completely

Harte 6.5 Same old same old . Dead ball super , defensive worries . Not too bad though .

Cunningham 8 Great game handled the front pair well .

Donkerty 6 Showed calmness on the ball which was a surprise . Will not displace any of the regular centre-backs;

A.Reid 6.5 Again glimpses of a rare talent . Distribbution was very erratic . Seemed to tyr the extraordianry pass once too often

Holland 6 No injury worries in 29 yrs never mind 4 yrs . Not competitive enough . We need a competitive midfielder who can pass the bal .He is not it .

Kilbane 8 Great display . The doubters that post on this website can shove it up the proverbial . This man HAS to start the qualifiers and with his recent displays , in centre midfield too.

Duff 9 Magic . Simple as that . The crowd murmurring everytime he gets the ball is cool too.

Keane 7.5 Some nice touches and great instinct on several occasions.

Clinton 5.5 Contributed twice last night .Once was to provide light entertainmnet to 40,000 for 10 mins when he got a ball in the nads and the other was to fall down for the free-kick which led to the goal . Has not linked well enough with Keane and can only get so many chances

Lee 7.5 Needs a starting number to prove himself
Delap 7 Ditto
Miller 6
Others not on long enough

fergalr
01/04/2004, 1:03 PM
Given 6 - Several very good saves. Badly at fault for the goal.
Maybury 6 - Decent enough. Didn't get forward as much as Carr or Finnan would. Ran out of steam a bit as the game wore on.
Harte 5 - Great free kick (as ever) and some good distribution. However for most of the time he is off in his off private dreamworld....
Cunningham 8 - Simply getting better and better
Doherty 7 - Defended well, unlucky not to score. Like to see him get some more chances as I think this position is there for the taking.
Reid 6 - Not everything he tried came off but at least he has the vision to try. Not sure if he has the engine we require.
Holland 5 - Not joking .... but honestly kept forgetting he was on the pitch.
Kilbane 7 - The new civil war debate in Irish football? I think he's been great in the central role - some of my mates still think he should not be let near a green shirt again. Added bonus is that he and Duff can switch positions (as they did several times). Should have scored when Duff set him up.
Duff 9 - A times simply breathtaking - better than "watching Brazil". Its taken him a while to get fully match fit after missing nearly 2 months - Arsenal beware.
Keane 7 - Some great link up with Duff, some awful link up with Clinton. Did brilliantly for the goal. Can't wait till he takes that record. Wish he'd stop the moaning (hate to think what he'd be like if he spent a full season in Italy).
Morrision 5 - Not up to it I'm afraid.

Of the subs, I thought that Delap and then Lee did the best. Kinsella got some tackles in. Millar was quiet and P Kenny could not really be judged.

John83
01/04/2004, 1:04 PM
Given was barely tested, and spent most of the night doing Barthez-style clearances, ie. nearly nutmegging the onrushing striker. 6

Maybury was winning only his third cap, and he was solid defensively, but his passing was predictable and innacurate and his crossing was abismal. 6

Harte was crap. I spent the first half about thirty yards behind him, and he didn't press, he hardly bothered with that whole defending lark, and his passing, while good, wasn't exceptional. His only redeaming feature was the goal he scored from the free-kick. :mad: Bloody Harte. 5

Doherty struggled a bit with Koller, as would anyone, but he did well, and his performance can only help his chances to make the first team. 7

Cunningham was amazing. He helped Maybury on the rare occasions he needed it, kept Baros quiet, and effectively played left-back at the same time, to ward off the problems Harte's 'defending' would otherwise have caused. He should have been man of the match by a mile. 10

Holland 6 and Kilbane 7 can almost be rated together. neither played particularly well, but they pressed and harried enough to force the majority of play onto the wings. Nedved hardly got a touch, and was poor when he did.

Andy Reid was winning his third cap too, and was playing out of position on the right, but he interchanged a bit with Duff, and made some good runs. 7

Duff was on scintillating form, making fools of the defenders marking him, and losing them altogether any time he drifted onto the right. He was named man of the match, and he certainly deserved second place in that (behind the superb Cunningham). Almost impossible to mark, he combined well with Kevin "Zinedine" Kilbane, who's naturally a left winger too. 9

Robbie Keane was fairly quiet all night, helping out in buildup play, but not really threatening. His only real chance was a poor volly across the goal early in the game, until a loose ball caught his attention late on. He hopped on it, turned on a penny and finished past two helpless defenders. 8

Morrisson showed again why he keeps winning praise but not scoring goals. When he drops wide to pick up the ball, he's dangerous, but in the box he was anonymous. 7

Pogsly
01/04/2004, 1:17 PM
I think its quite unfair to paint Zinidine Killer Kilbane with the same brush as Mattie Holland in last night's match .

Kilbane made an effort last night and was more than marginally better than Holland . Is ahead of Holland in terms of getting picked for the competitive games

Éanna
01/04/2004, 1:28 PM
Given 6 - Only called on once or twice, but he was poor for the goal.
Maybury 7 - Very solid performance for someone who has little experience of top flight football.
Doherty 7 - Did well IMO, looked very strong and you got the feeling not much would get past him.
Cunningham 8 - Mr Consistency. A class act.
Harte 5 - All the guy can do is hit free kicks. His distribution was woeful as usual and his positioning not much better. Can't believe he gets near the squad.
A.reid 6 - What he did, he did well, but didn't see the ball much.
Kilbane 8 - Quickly becoming a first choice in the centre I think. Passed well, worked his socks off and got forward to help the attackers. Can't believe he still has so many critics. Becoming a very influential player for us.
Holland 5 - His usual pathetic self. Lazy, uncomitted and unable to pass the ball more than 10 yards. Shouldn't be in the squad.
Duff 9 - The kind of performance we've come to expect. What a talent
Keane 8 - Very good game, still not convinced Morrison is the right partner for him.
Morrison 6 - If he could play football as well as he can shoot his mouth off he'd be better than Zidane. He's only an international footballer in his own mind. In his best form for a few years and still look decidedly average

Alan Lee- Looked promising, even if it was only for a short while. If he starts performing at club level, he could quickly become first choice.
Rory Delap- has been unlucky in the past, but as good as anything else we have. Could definitely stake a claim for a starting place

Good performance against a very good side overall.

tiktok
01/04/2004, 2:01 PM
Given 5 : thought he looked shaky throughout. very poor for their goal, did make a brilliant save though

Maybury 6: Did OK on his debut, glad he got a full game, showed composure more often than not, hit some nice passes.
Cunningham 7: Cool as you like, got caught for the goal but was very good otherwise
Doherty 7: yeah, i'm serious, did all that was asked of him, marked Koller out of the game in the first half, nearly scored too
Harte 6: a few dodgy moments, but played well and scored a nice goal, distribution has improved too

Reid 5: Not at the races at all, didn't look interested in getting forward
Holland 5: Hardly noticed him until he went centre back and was forced to play
Kilbane 8: Did a great job on Nedved, worked hard, some good runs and great tackles, centre midfield is suiting him
Duff 9: exceptional clearly MOTM, only slight complaint is that he left Harte exposed a few times when he should have been getting back.

Keane 7: Worked hard, attacked their back four and took his goal well, most of the little flicks didn't come of though
Morrison 7: Worked well with Keane, they seem to be building an understanding, didn't see a lot of the ball, did well with what he got though

Lee 8: impressed while he was on, brilliant battle in the lead up to the winner, nearly scored as well, very good in the air
DeLap 6: looked better when he moved infield, never really caught up with the pace of the game though
Miller looks promising, but he, Kinsella and Kenny weren't involved enough to give a proper rating to

NigeSausagepump
01/04/2004, 2:08 PM
Very encouraging performance IMHO.

Pick of the bunch for me were Duffer (naturally), Cunningham and Kilbane who I thought looked far superior to Holland in central midfield. I thought Delap actually did very well when he came on and I'd start with him and Kilbane in the centre against Poland next month.

Am I the only one who is getting increasingly frustrated with Robbie Keane's giving the ball away while attempting silly tricks? I know they're great when they come off and he's our only real goalscoring striker at the moment, but I just wish he'd learn to play the simple ball more often.

I thought the atmosphere was a lot better last night too. Was quiet at times, but in the second half it was really rocking. Give me a good European team at home for some good atmosphere ahead of showboating South Americans anyday.

4tothefloor
01/04/2004, 2:52 PM
I think everyone here is being too harsh on Ian Harte - overall he had quiet a good game last night, scored a great goal and played some great balls to Duff in the first half. Was I watching a different game?! Would agree though that he's away with the fairies when it comes to off the ball concentration, and he was caught once or twice out of position. Still though he did clear one off the line. I'd give him 7 overall, no way was he as bad as a 5! That rating I would give to Maybury & Holland, who were both woeful. Mayburys passing, (attemted) heading and positioning were poor. Holland probably doesn't even deserve a 5. Did he actually do anything of note last night? Duff & Cunningham were superb, Kilbane & Keane also did well.

Can't say I share the same enthusiasm about Alan Lee though. He looks awkward at best, his attempted cross for the goal was laughable. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, though I doubt it. Reid is not good enough to be a starting regular yet either, he badly needs a move to the premiership. I'd like to see them have a look at Sean Thornton in the next friendly - an alternative to McPhail, who's missed the boat in my opinion.

only1kilbane
01/04/2004, 3:21 PM
Yeah i thought Harty put in some strong tackles last night and unlike maybury was not afraid to go forward and his passing was decent. I think if matty continues like this it will be time for us to move on and change the midfield. Kilbane has looked very strong in the centre and a ball player like thornton or miller should be given the chance alongside him. Reid looks like deffo like he needs a move up in class he just lacks a little composure sometimes but will learn playing alongside the likes of duffer and keano. We are still a bit short up front which is worrying. Clinton holds the ball up well but never looks like scoring and alan Lee has a bit to go yet but hopefully can develop if given a decent chance.

John83
01/04/2004, 5:01 PM
I think everyone here is being too harsh on Ian Harte - overall he had quiet a good game last night, scored a great goal and played some great balls to Duff in the first half. Was I watching a different game?! Would agree though that he's away with the fairies when it comes to off the ball concentration, and he was caught once or twice out of position. Still though he did clear one off the line. I'd give him 7 overall, no way was he as bad as a 5!Yes, he was. I watched him just stand there, out of position, while the winger ran at him, or past him. He was ****e, and I would have substituted him at half time. Cunningham spent most of the match trying to cover for him.

That rating I would give to Maybury & Holland, who were both woeful. Mayburys passing, (attemted) heading and positioning were poor. I though he was solid enough when he was defending. It's just when he has the ball he's terrible.

Holland probably doesn't even deserve a 5. Did he actually do anything of note last night?Not really, but then, neither did the Czech centre-mids, so I'm assuming that he was closing them down enough to make it tough for them. The Czechs got very little in the middle, with the exception of one or two breaks, and I really can't lay the blame for all of that at Kilbane's door.

Reid is not good enough to be a starting regular yet either, he badly needs a move to the premiership. I'd like to see them have a look at Sean Thornton in the next friendly - an alternative to McPhail, who's missed the boat in my opinion.Reid's worth having as he's our best option on the right at the moment. He'll mature faster if he's in the side, though McAteer and Delap have to be considered there too.

Is Thornton playing for Sunderland again? I thought he'd been forced out of their side. McPhail deserves a go in a friendly, though maybe not in the immediate future. Who knows what regular football will have done to him?

eirebhoy
01/04/2004, 9:28 PM
I thought the atmosphere was a lot better last night too. Was quiet at times, but in the second half it was really rocking. Give me a good European team at home for some good atmosphere ahead of showboating South Americans anyday.
You don't have very high standards. The atmosphere was just as bad as the Canada match and most of the noise came from the Czech fans.

fergalr
02/04/2004, 12:41 PM
Am I the only one who is getting increasingly frustrated with Robbie Keane's giving the ball away while attempting silly tricks? I know they're great when they come off and he's our only real goalscoring striker at the moment, but I just wish he'd learn to play the simple ball more often.
With you 100% on that. Full marks to Robbie for banging in the goals but the amount of possesion he gives away is criminal.

NigeSausagepump
02/04/2004, 1:12 PM
You don't have very high standards. The atmosphere was just as bad as the Canada match and most of the noise came from the Czech fans.

Actually I do have high standards having being raised on Hill 16 for Dublin Championship games :)

The atmosphere on Weds was excellent in comparison with any game at Landsdowne (and I've been to all of them) since Holland in 2001. That possibly says more about the atmosphere at those games than Wednesday's effort, but IMHO it was a marked improvement.

eirebhoy
02/04/2004, 2:57 PM
I'd like to know am I the only person who thought the atmosphere was diabolicol on Wedensday?

Peadar
02/04/2004, 3:05 PM
I'd like to know am I the only person who thought the atmosphere was diabolicol on Wedensday?

In a word, No.